back to article America, when you're done hitting us with the ban hammer, see these on-prem Zoom vulns, says Positive

US-sanctioned Positive Technologies has pointed out three vulnerabilities in Zoom that can be exploited to crash or hijack on-prem instances of the videoconferencing system. One of the trio of bugs is an input validation flaw, which can be abused by a malicious Zoom portal administrator to inject and execute arbitrary commands …

1. O RLY
    Headmaster

I'm sure this will start a flame war

The correct spelling is "on-premises", not "on-premise." The latter is not correct.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: I'm sure this will start a flame war

I believe the correct response is no1curr. However, as you will note from the hyperlinked article, a professional linguist weighed in and indicated that "on premise" is a perfectly cromulent phrase which embiggens our vocabulary.

1. big_D Silver badge

Premise

A premise or premiss is a statement that an argument claims will induce or justify a conclusion. It is an assumption that something is true.

Headmaster

And yet, "on-premise" and "on-prem" are commonly-accepted synonyms for “on-premises," which itself is considered an idiomatic expression by Merriam-Webster. You may be correct that the foundation of the phrase is incorrect, but at this point “on-premise" is in common usage, so I'm afraid you've lost the battle.

Also, now that I know that this phrase so annoys the needless pedants of the world, I will be sure to use it.

FAIL

Downvote away, you've still lost! Let me know how defeat tastes!

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"the needless pedants of the world"

Surely you intended to write "the unneeded pedants of the world".

2. O RLY

It's hard to take that article seriously as a critique of word choice when the author writes the grammatically-incorrect "thank you to whomever did."

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

These bugs will be fixed!

They will be replaced with better bugs?

These days when coders are told that they need to fix a bug they get it done, but does anyone check that the fix doesn't replace the original bugs with some new bugs? I see this as a problem created by the companies running the coding, not the coders.

"Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves." - Alan Kay

1. mattaw2001

Re: These bugs will be fixed!

(Not very serious) I have always bristled at that quote - the pyramids are actually pretty well made, with air shafts, secret rooms, etc., in this example a 6' long 20cm x 20cm shaft at a steep rising angle in solid rock: https://www.techexplorist.com/robot-reveals-inside-great-pyramid/30245/

They certainly can't have piled the rocks on top of each other willy-nilly, and then cut that afterwards.

However, the core idea of software being basically sedimentary rock - fish poop, detritus and other stuff layered on top of each other, again and again until it hardens into something very hard to change - totally agree.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: These bugs will be fixed!

Yes, the pyramids are still standing. I imagine even back then they had some architects advocating for an agile construction. "Pharaoh! We could finish in your lifetime if we just do it like XYZ." Probably buried under the cornerstone of the next pyramid, with hieroglyphs depicting the stoning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like