back to article Boffins use nuclear radiation to send data wirelessly

Boffins from the UK's Lancaster University and the Jožef Stefan Institute in Slovenia have transmitted and received data wirelessly using nuclear radiation. The Register assumes that readers understand that the wireless tech used in phone networks, WiFi, Bluetooth, TV transmissions and the like employ electromagnetic radiation …

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

I for one welcome our

0.00028 Å overlords.

100 terahertz WiFi sounds fun!

Just don't stand too close to the router, m'kay?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

Re: I for one welcome our

So, by the time we get past 5G, 6G and reach 7G, the conspiracy theory nuts might actually have a point!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Future Who Me:

During a blackout Bruce accidentally stepped into the path of the neutron beam. ... He was able to complete his work by the light from his now glowing body. ... Have you ever had a workplace accident that provided an unexpected benefit?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Don't make the BOFH angry, your wouldn't like him when he's angry

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Apparently he’s always angry!

I don't believe he gets angry, he gets even.....

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Can't help feeling

That the Nobel prize should go to these guys not for modulating the radiation, but for finding a way to turn it off.

The nuclear clean up industry will be beating a path to their door!

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Can't help feeling

It's not so much turned off as blocked.

Unless I'm way off beam they seem to have reinvented the shuttered signal lamp.

from around the 15 second mark here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOt83AouoGU

1. phy445

I think you are a little off-beam. The neutrons are only generated when a pulse is applied to the system. That is different to opening/closing a shutter blocking a continuous source.

1. Cuddles

I think you're both right. The paper that is the main focus of the article, "Wireless information transfer with fast neutrons", is essentially a shutter lamp using neutrons produced by radioactive decay of Californium. But the second article mentioned, "Novel Surface-Mounted Neutron Generator" is about a very small accelerator-driven neutron generator that really does turn the radiation on and off (although it uses tritium as the target so there is still radioactive material involved, it's just producing the radiation of interest).

Basically, the first paper shows that you can use neutrons to carry information, and then cites the second paper in the discussion to suggest what would probably be a better way to think about producing an actual useful device.

3. Sgt_Oddball
    Coat

Is this a new take on RGB lighting?

A computer rig that glows in the dark?

New method to create das Blinkenliten?

I'll get my coat. It's the white lab coat with the dose meter badge.

1. jamesdagger

Re: Is this a new take on RGB lighting?

Does the badge read 3.6 Roentgen?

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: Is this a new take on RGB lighting?

Only the once. Not great.... Not terrible.

4. Denarius

a small step

Using neutrons as carriers, impressive. Next shrink, improve bandwidth etc. After that, neutrinos and the Start Trek phased neutrino communicator. Followed by new TLA tech to eaves drop

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: a small step

Neutrino generators would indeed need to shrink somewhat to make a handheld communicator!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

But very difficult to block once you've got it working.

2. druck Silver badge
        Boffin

Neutrinos are very different particles to neutrons.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Mushroom

there is a well known (theoretical) nuclear reaction in which a moving neutron in the presence of a gravitational field has a probability of splitting into a proton, an electron, and 2 anti-neutrinos. This reaction conserves mass+energy, momentum, and particle/anti-particle balance, and for a very long time the anti-neutrinos were only theoretical.

In any case, the neutron communication beam would, in fact, end up decaying into anti-netrinos and free hydrogen-1 at some point.

icon, because, nuclear radiation, right?

unfortunately I do not know of any reaction that produces anti-matter proton+electron and neutrinos... at least not in THIS universe where matter (not anti-matter) won the "big bang" (theoretically). Maybe if it happens in the presence of ANTI-GRAVITY??

Oh, and to produce neutrons it may be a bit easier if you use an alpha emitter and boron. If done electrostatically (from an ionized beam of helium gas) it might actually be practical to modulate it with a signal. OK an adapted design of a travelling wave tube just popped into my head, morphed into a particle accelerator with a Boron-10 target. Mad Science!

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

The generators might be possible to make small. You'd still need to be carrying around a tank with a couple of million litres of dry-cleaning fluid to detect them. Neutrinos might be more useful as a means of interplanetary communication, as they'll go right through anything in that happens to be in the way, such as another planet, in a way that radio waves do not.

Still not superluminary though, you'd need (hypothetical) tachyons for that, and those are definitely Star Trek material.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

More useful for wireless communication with some thing on the other side of this planet or under water - like a fleet of nuclear subs.

4. codyceps

You may well need a shrink after making few callsfrom a communicator like that one. Since neutrino does not influence with matter at all, everyone around you will know you just pretending to call someone.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Oh, they do. There's several neutrino detectors, including one that (mistakenly) measured them going slightly FTL.

They aren't exactly portable, though.

1. Lotaresco

"Oh, they do. There's several neutrino detectors, including one that (mistakenly) measured them going slightly FTL."

That has happened twice now, with two different detectors. The first time was with the INFN OPERA experiment, later attributed to a loose fibre optic cable. The second time was with the Fermilab MINOS experiment, which gave a mean neutrino speed of 1.000051c; the 99% confidence interval was 0.999976c to 1.000126c.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: one small step for a man, one Giant Quantum IT Leap for Future Mankind*

Followed by new TLA tech to eaves drop .... Denarius

Or for new TLA tech to be remotely led with an AI Following Servering Futures with Myriads of Derivative Product ‽ A Vast Treasure Trove of Immaculately Sourced Assets with Endless Practical Abilities Realising and EMPowering the Beta Direction of Present Visualised Realities for an Almighty Influence. UberPowerful Presence. ........ QuITe AWEsome Being.

* An Alien Derivative for Prime Novel NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTivated Drive with Drivers of Immaculate SuperVision Led Narrative Presenting Key Virtual Machine ACTivity Instruction for Reality Productions from SuperVisionary Source ......Enabling Impeccable Provision of Heavenly Needs and Feeds and Seeds for Earthly Growth and COSMIC Community Authority Immunity Recognition.

1. FuzzyTheBear
        Joke

Bit of sesquipedalian loquaciousness there friend ?

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: Bit of sesquipedalian loquaciousness there friend ?

Yup

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

and this... what's this meant to actually mean?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I see you're not familiar with amanfromMars. This post is more lucid than some...

3. NXM Silver badge

Is that an ad for a Cosmic Water Energiser?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wasn't thinking of Star Trek. Who remembers the Doctor who used to "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow"?

1. Lotaresco

It was the third Doctor played by Jon Pertwee who reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.

1. W.S.Gosset

The third Doctor was the first Doctor played by Jon Pertwee, wasn't it?

1. KarMann Silver badge
            Boffin

Sure, if you assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, well, it's a bit more complicated than that.

"Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey" ?

2. KarMann Silver badge
            Holmes

And that aside, I see that he also played Dr. Fettle in Carry on Screaming, so the third Doctor would be (at least) the second played by Pertwee.

1. W.S.Gosset
              Holmes

Ah ha! Well sleuthed, sir!

So we have: the third doctor is the second doctor played by Jon Pertwee.

But! We are forgetting something!

> It was the third Doctor played by Jon Pertwee

In the larger, Regeneration sense, of course, it was the first Doctor played by all the actors.

2. Lotaresco

Last night the current Doctor reversed the polarity of the neutron flow but did so en passant.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

:-) Hello Worlds. What’s Not to Like in Live Operational Virtual Environmental Command&Control ‽

That was an interesting and encouraging and even an engagingly enticingly crafted read, Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor, which very nearly almost also opened up more fully for critical entangled mass entry and bedevilment and/or bewonderment and bewilderment, the great vaulted doors into and onto the Novel and Virgin Fields of NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT.

ElRegers and Stuxnet fans alike might appreciate knowing a lot more about any of those sorts of dynamically ACTive developments clearly underground and covert because if/when reports do not afford them the light of day and general knowledge are they rendered the possibility of being a deep and dark secret ripe for private and pirate trading ...... to friends and foe alike ?

The following response and reply to opinions expressed on https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2021/11/10/four-essential-rules-for-developing-revolutionary-networked-capabilities, commentary which wasn't displayed soon after reviewing despite it be so promised immediately after posting ....[Thank you. Your comment will be displayed soon after reviewing.] ...... advises one and all of current shenanigans and future events on both near home and far foreign horizons.

Tom, outside developers that will be needed to create the needed solutions will certainly not leave the industry to engage less risky early stage development environments if Uncle Sam does not recognise the potential in any proposed and novel great game changing system of global protection and/or national and internetional defence, they will simply transfer their attention and interests to engage and employ and enjoy the benefits to be savoured with what many might then perceive and realise be a very able foreign competition easily mistaken and/or pimped as a constant enemy. And some developers may even decide that second and third party help is not necessarily vital for rapid progress and thus will they proceed somewhat alone to produce a product which they can sell to any who want it for an extremely handsome sum.

Indeed, the proprietary intellectual property in some extremely sensitive developments is oft best known to only a very select and able few, given the damage and destruction that it can cause in the wrong hands/hearts and minds.

Here is a taste of that sort of a development which is currently available to any and all with an interest in its efficacy.

Colonel Brian Russell, the commander of the II Marine Expeditionary Force Information Group (II MEFIG) explained the ability for military personnel to "reprogram" equipment on the frontlines would ensure operational advantages. He said cyber Marines will help reshape the battlefield, indicating these elite groups of soldiers "could influence the local population, take out enemy networks, disrupt the enemy's kill chain, and much more. ........ "Whether you like it or not, or realize it or not, all of our Marines are involved in this information environment, and we need to prepare them for that reality......... https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/cyber-marines-will-win-war-tomorrow-digital-battlefield

That is all very well and applaudable, but it is however already not the current reality to be dealt with in order to ensure situational authority and operational superiority.

Others elsewhere, obviously foreign and alien to Uncle Sam Forces and Sources, have moved on into much more advanced fields with innate abilities and remote utilities and virtual machine facilities that program/reprogram personnel for front lines that guarantee operational advantage ensured to assuringly influence local population, take out enemy networks, disrupt the enemy's kill chain, and much more ..... whether you like it or not.

And such is not so much a new destructive battlefield, although it can easily be morphed into many of those if one knows what needs to be done, but rather more a novel creative playground.

Honest, I Kid U Not.

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Re: :-) Hello Worlds. What’s Not to Like....

Could you do that in English please?

I don't think they speak it on Mars.

Well not proper English anyway.

Bloody martians, coming here in their tripods tekin ar jerbs

Alien

...with their stinkin' red weed, and all their ooooooollllaaaaaaaaaas

6. Valeyard

sp they did higher frequency packet radio, except you get to say "within the neutron field" and things like that

7. Tom 7

Nuclear powered clacks.

Message received. Thud!

8. Chris G

My new Neutron phone is great and the extra ear I have grown is handy for listening to my three speaker stereo system but the greenish tinge to my skin when I get grumpy, has me a little concerned.......

9. Flak

Paper cups and strings

Congratulations to the team that achieved this.

Pure science is wonderful even if practical applications may not be immediately obvious.

Sometimes you do stuff just because you can! For simplicity, try paper cups and strings :-)

Megaphone - not to be shouty, but just because it is adjacent technology...

10. Terry 6 Silver badge

Conspiracy theorists

You can almost hear them revving their engines...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Conspiracy theorists

> You can almost hear them revving their engines...

To make their brains explode just say that the nuclear radiation effects can be blocked by a simple vaccine which will be mandatory for anyone sending or receiving a message using this scheme.

11. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

So

spies working in nuclear facilities now have a new medium through which to send information? Or, err, maybe we're just now figuring out how they've been doing it for years... Interesting stuff either way.

12. Chairman of the Bored

Now if they could do this with neutrinos...

...that would be badass.

The detector might require excess baggage charges though. Fermilab's current neutrino detector is a sphere continuing 800 tons of mineral oil and 1200+ photomultiplier tubes.

Re: Now if they could do this with neutrinos...

So rounded corners then? Could be a problem

2. Lotaresco

"The detector might require excess baggage charges though. Fermilab's current neutrino detector is a sphere continuing 800 tons of mineral oil and 1200+ photomultiplier tubes."

I'm scratching my head trying to work out which neutrino detector you are referring to. I'm aware of five neutrino detectors operated by Fermilab. Three of these are the detectors for the Short-Baseline Neutrino Program, being the Short-Baseline Near Detector, MicroBooNE, and ICARUS. These are all Liquid Argon Time Projection Chamber designs filled with 270, 170, and 760 tonnes of liquid argon respectively. The detectors are cylindrical. No photomultiplier tubes. The NOvA programme has two rectangular detectors made of stacks of blocks filled with mineral oil. The far detector is 50x50ft by 200ft long. Each module is 50x50x6 feet. Again no photomultiplier tubes. The photon detectors are fibre optic with solid state avalanche photodiodes. The near detector has 300 tonnes of mineral oil, the far detector has 14,000 tonnes of oil.

1. Chairman of the Bored

I'm referring to Fermilab'a MiniBooNE experiment. An old colleague worked on some of the high speed electronics for the PMTs-

https://www.fnal.gov/pub/science/experiments/intensity/miniboone.html

The microboone follow-on experiment is also extremely interesting.

3. W.S.Gosset

> Fermilab's current neutrino detector is a sphere continuing 800 tons of mineral oil and 1200+ photomultiplier tubes.

Is it foldable?

I want a foldable one.

13. Bartholomew
    Boffin

Back of the envelope calculations (mostly using E=mv^2)

3% of Californium-252 produces neutrons through decay with energies between 0 and 13 MeV (13 MeV is a neutron travelling at about 35263780 meters/second or about ~11.8% the speed of light), with a mean of 2.3 MeV (14832730 m/s;~4.9%) and a most probable value of 1 MeV (9780413m/s ; ~3.3%). So fibre and satellites have absolutely nothing to fear from Californium-252 at least in terms of latency.

In the paper (figure 4) it took about 292 seconds to transfer the word "yes", that would be a baud rate 0.08 (with no error correction). I suspect that because of the nature of how scintillators work that the baud rate is not going to get any better.

Now if you had far more money than sense you could stick many neutron generators in parallel distributed over kilometres (miles) and possibly transfer data through the earth at some slightly more reasonable rate after calibration and collimation of the neutron beams. You would only need 750 neutron beams, using the rate above, for about 60 baud! These will probably cause a few satellites flying overhead problems unless the transmission and reception sites were placed inside mines under large volumes of water (which absorbs the kinetic energy of neutrons really well). But in terms of bytes transferred per unit of money spent, it would be an insanely poor return on investment. You could match fibre latency (~66% the speed of light) with neutrons generated with energy levels at about ~400MeV and at ~940MeV (99.99% the speed of light) air and satellite based latency. But at those kind of energy levels your detectors need to be physically much much larger so that the neutrons did not pass right through them undetected. Yes a chord going through the earth would be technically faster in terms of latency than following the circumference, but at an insane cost.

I applaud the ingenuity but I do not see any practical use for it, and yea I know that is exactly what was said many years ago about fricking lasers (And now even MisterDoctor Evil can put them on sharks).

Re: Back of the envelope calculations (mostly using E=mv^2)

>possibly transfer data through the earth at some slightly more reasonable rate

Although not very far

14. W.S.Gosset

Californium-252

So your router will work as an old-fashioned smoke detector, too!

Re: Californium-252

I assume a Californium-252 source is it's own Prop65 warning ?

1. J. Cook Silver badge
        Boffin

Yes:

"The element is most dangerous if taken into the body. In addition, californium-249 and californium-251 can cause tissue damage externally, through gamma ray emission. Ionizing radiation emitted by californium on bone and in the liver can cause cancer."

(wikipedia link)

But in California there would be a warning because of the solvent in the ink on the box

15. codyceps

How about a really large archive?

I wonder what shall they drop in Ukraine to send a particularly large message to Russia using this bright new transmission method.

1. Stumpy

Re: How about a really large archive?

I was just thinking that ... a large atom bomb that not only obliterates it's target, but also transmits the message 'Fuck You Putin!'

1. MrDamage Silver badge

I feel an atom bomb is more of a "To whom it may concern", than a personal message to Putin.

Or perhaps the ultimate "reply-all" ?

1. J. Cook Silver badge
            Mushroom

Sort of, if the message being sent is "F--- You and everyone in the blast zone"... :)

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Good luck modulating an atom bomb. When you get it working, you will tell the rest of us how you did it, right?

(Yes, I know it was a joke, but I saw the chance to write "modulating an atom bomb" and couldn't resist. Do you think I am the first person ever to use that pgrase in a sentence?)

>Good luck modulating an atom bomb.

Morse + lots of bombs

1. award

> Morse + lots of bombs

"So long and thanks for all the fish", as you head to orbit in your Orion spaceship?

2. hayzoos

I think you may have just described the working mechanism of the "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator"! Brilliant!

16. sokolnik
    Go

Tesla?

Isn't this more or less an idea of Tesla?

Sorry, I'm too lazy to google it.

17. DaemonProcess

so not fast enough for a bug ?

I wonder if anyone already thought of using that tech for a remote bug device. Instead of RF EMR you have radioactive particles. DIstance / rmeote source?, detection, power, bandwidth, etc...

18. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Data leak

"...hypothetically, design out issues of security and risk".

I expect Mordechai Guri at the Ben-Gurion University is right now working out a way of tapping into the fast neutron stream and grabbing the data

https://search.theregister.com/?q=%22Mordechai+Guri%22

icon: can we have an ionising radiation symbol?

19. Kernel
    Black Helicopters

Prior art?

A bit of a coincidence - last night I was reading a novel (The Algebraist) by the late Iain M Banks which contained a mention of a fast neutrino communications burst being detected. There was also the implication that the comms was of limited range, as well.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Radiation ? How about neutrino radiation ? You could send a signal through the center of the earth, to the other side ! The detector might be a bit large, but think of the speed advantage over signals that travel around on the surface.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"bespoke high-density polyethylene shroud"

a couple of discarded foam coffee cups connected with a bit of string?

(sorry to introduce string theory into the debate!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon