back to article Microsoft admits Samsung phones under Intune mobile device management are dropping out of compliance

Some Samsung phones managed by Microsoft Intune are dropping out of compliance after an automatic restart or update, the Windows giant has admitted. Samsung Galaxy kit running Android 9 (or later) with Android Device Administrator management or an Android Enterprise personally owned work profile are affected as well as Samsung …

1. Gumby37
    Holmes

MDM/MAM frustration

Just had this om my phone under MDM, post update started getting emails that it was not compliant. Attempted to correct the issue in question ( the pin code wasn't long enough) needed to be 6 digits, was 6 digits but intune didn't believe me or the device. tried to change the digits to 7 but intune could see no change.

Turns out that if you follow the correction path indicated by intune, it will not apply the change. You have to change your Pin or password via the phones normal security setting path. A trap that is easy to fall into as most other MS stuff has short cuts that work.

Hope that helps

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Meh

A typical "upgrade" issue

We see this everywhere, "upgrades" cause problems all the time ... typical app upgrades fix bugs by replacing them with other issues that we discover later and "fix" with a new "upgrade" ... This is nothing new, here's a quote from the scary devil monastery years ago:

"Any research done on how to efficiently use computers has been long lost in the mad rush to upgrade systems to do things that aren't needed by people who don't understand what they are really supposed to do with them." -- Graham Reed

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: A typical "upgrade" issue

> upgrade systems to do things that aren't needed by people

How else can you make people pay over and over again for something they already paid for? (Well, at least in the days before the "as a service" con, which is vastly more efficient at this...)

I still use a lot of old ancient versions of programs, because they do everything I need to. Obviously they aren't connected to the wild, wild web, but why would they anyway?

3. W.S.Gosset

Progress

> "I had a bunch of Samsung devices go non-compliant with a password remediation failed error for no reason."

Well, at least now he has a reason.

4. doublelayer Silver badge

Say what

"The company [Microsoft] faces stiff competition in the MDM arena, not least from Apple and Jamf, making the issue all the more awkward."

They do face competition, but neither of these companies are competing in a way that they avoided this problem. That's because both products only work on Apple devices. Jamf's is even partnered with Microsoft so they can be used together. Apple didn't have that many MDM functions until announcing some new ones recently, and even those only work on Apple products. In short, neither named competitor even runs on Android, where Microsoft's product has the problem. There are other MDM competitors who can operate on Android and therefore claim superiority on the basis of this bug. Why were Apple and Jamf called out here when they're unrelated to the issue?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Say what

"The company [Microsoft] faces stiff competition in the MDM arena, not least from Apple and Jamf, making the issue all the more awkward."

Let's be real here. Microsoft isn't playing on a level playing field. They are bundling more and more 'stuff' such as Intune/SCCM (MEM), security tools, SIEM solutions in the E3/E5 super bundles. So customers are more often saying ... "well, it's not great, but it's good enough". It's anti-competitive against a whole raft of competitors, but that's Microsoft's playbook. Whatayagoing to do about it? #shrugshoulders

Some customers see the value of buying best of breed. They want a great solution to manage Apple devices such as JAMF. Or a single solution to manage everything such as VMware Workspace ONE. Or real next gen AV solutions such as Crownstrike or Carbon Black. It depends on whether customers want a 'ok' set of tools, or something better for their business.

5. 43300 Silver badge

Not encountered this yet, but given that all our phones are Samsung and most of them now Intune-managed I am expecting it to happen next week!

Anyone got experience of alternative MDM solutions which can manage both Android phones and Windows laptops / desktops? We've been using Intune for about a year and it's so buggy and unreliable (and in some places extremely badly-designed) that I am seriously thinking about looking at alternatives, despite this being a major step.

6. big_D Silver badge

Reboot?

The biggest problem I found with InTune on Android was, after enrolling my phone, the first thing I attempted was to deinstall the InTune app. Nothing stopped me and, suddenly, the phone was no longer under InTune's control...

That seems to be a bit of an oversight, if a disgruntled employee or a thief can simply deinstall InTune and do what they want with the device.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like