back to article Red Hat 8.5 released with SQL Server and .NET 6 ... this is Linux, right?

Version 8.5 of Red Hat's Enterprise Linux operating system (RHEL) is out, with updates including .NET 6 and a system role for Microsoft SQL Server, as well as improved container support. "Red Hat and Microsoft have had a very successful collaboration," product manager Siddharth Nagar told The Register. "SQL Server is a …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Hmmm

I was never particularly keen on Red Hat. This is just another check mark against.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm

What is? Having more supported software in repositories?

Allowing users to ditch Windows Server and still keep running SQL Server?

1. Kabukiwookie

Allowing users to ditch Windows Server and still keep running SQL Server

And thereby giving MS a solid foothold in your Linux infrastructure.

It's the same trick used by lots of other vendors; get people so invested in your proprietory technology that they can't normally operate without it or easily switch over to an alternative without spending lots of money / effort.

The only winning move is not to play.

1. Tomato42
          Boffin

My experience was that many small businesses had few Linux servers, and then a single Windows box to run SQL Server specifically.

2. avakum.zahov

About a week ago I asked similar question and pissed quite a few people. My question still stands, though: Why would one want to use MS products on Linux? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose.

1. Alex Stuart

Perhaps because it has first-class features, documentation, learning material and community support - lots of good reasons to use it, if you want to pay for it. I assume most shops running RHEL are doing so for reasons more than just 'it's not MS', though I could be wrong.

Even if it's just 'cheaper than MS', then the same justification would apply to using SQL Server instead of Oracle.

2. donk1

So you can ditch Windows and only have to support 1 OS?

3. Al fazed
          Thumb Up

I piss people off just like you by asking that same question.

It's almost unbelievable, but not entirely, and here's another reason for my advice to clients, to NOT buy into Redhat, you might as well buy Microshite Windose, so now you do not have to.

FFS

Alf

2. jayp1418

Does fetching source for RHEL is easy like NetBSD ?

>>cvs checkout $URL

>>./build.sh -m amd64 install-iso

1. Tomato42

sorry, I left my cvs install in the 486 box in the attic, in 1990's

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Me too, but I still miss it sometimes....

3. steelpillow Silver badge
    WTF?

embrace, extend, ext...

But I am just a little unsure who is rolling whom over, here.

Is it "Use our shit and you can run it on any old OS" or "Use our OS and you can run any old shit on it"?

1. LionelB Silver badge

Re: embrace, extend, ext...

I think the technical term for that is "circle-jerk" (although with only two parties involved there may be other more appropriate terms).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS will target Ubuntu, not Red Hat

Red Hat is IBM's, only a fool would buy IBM.

1. chasil

TPC.org says otherwise.

If you examine Microsoft's reported scores, everything is on XFS.

The XFS filesystem appears to be a sweet spot for database performance. Several other top scores are also on it (Exasol being the most prominent).

5. RobLang

Still unsure what they're saying here...

> NET 6 is quite a watershed release and as part of us having a more predictable release schedule we want to introduce content based on its natural lifecycle

I've read it through a few times and although I understand the words and statements individually, they neither answer the question nor add anything new.

6. Al fazed
    Facepalm

Oh well, here goes the bath water

If you must pay for your Linux, why not buy Windows 11 and run Redhat via a Chromebook sitting on your childs bedside cabinet.

Is this move simply entropy at work or is it just idiocy at work ?

Redhat devs must be using AI to help them decide what it's customers want it to get up to next.

ALF

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can tell which posters are employed.

Hint:

Its not the idealists.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't be long before ...

... the Microsoftification of Red Hat is complete.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like