back to article International Space Station fires rockets to dodge chunk of destroyed Chinese satellite

The International Space Station performed a short engine burn on Wednesday to avoid potentially hitting a chunk of space junk. At 2315 Moscow Time (2015 UTC), the thrusters on Russia's Progress MS-18 transport cargo vehicle, which is docked to the ISS, fired for 361 seconds to perform the small nudge, Roscosmos said. The …

1. Pen-y-gors

Misleading headline!

I had this wonderful vision of the ISS deploying some of its space-to-space rockets to destroy the evil Chinese junk. (Or should that be 'rubbish'? I'm fairly sure the Chinese haven't launched any junks into space)

1. Ken G Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Misleading headline!

I had the same misunderstanding.

I had to look it up and Progress uses nitrogen tetroxide / unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine propellants, which are chemicals I definitely wouldn't want near my junk.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Pirate

I dunno, blasting obstacles with space weapons sounds like fun

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Except, of course, that is the precise reason this (and many other) bit of space junk is there in the first place.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Joke

Then we just need more space weapons to shoot that debris!

(This message brought to you by Lockheed Martin and Boeing)

2. fargoneicehole

Only if you also have shields with those lasers otherwise you have a bunch of tiny projectiles coming at you

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In Star Trek, that would be the job of the deflector dish. If the shields were used, then they would always be up and you would never hear them say raise shields.

3. Allan George Dyer
      Pirate

@Pen-y-gors - "I'm fairly sure the Chinese haven't launched any junks into space"

Pirates in Space! The descendants of Zheng Yi Sao and Cheung Po Tsai conquer new waters horizons.

1. Azamino
        Happy

Given that Zheng was a eunuch, the existence of his progeny would be impressive enough if they got no further than the end of the street!

1. Allan George Dyer
          Pirate

No, you're thinking of Zheng He, eunuch and Admiral who commanded extensive expeditions as far as Africa, some people even claim America, in the 15th Century.

You're correct in suggesting that Zheng Yi Sao didn't have a dick, but that was no obstacle to her giving birth to three sons and a daughter in the 19th Century. Her first husband was pirate chief Zheng Yi, after his death she married her step-son, Cheung Po Tsai. Together, they commanded hundreds of ships and thousands of men. After surrendering to the Qing authorities, Cheng Po Tsai became an Admiral and Zheng Yi Sao led a quiet life running an infamous gambling house.

However, the names can be confusing, they each had several, and they can be transliterated in various ways:

鄭和: Zheng He, Ma He, Ma Sanbao, Cheng Ho.

鄭一嫂: Cheng I Sao, Zheng Yi Sao, 鄭氏: Ching Shih, 石陽:Shih Yang, 石香菇: Shih Heang Koo.

張保仔: Cheung Po Tsai, 張保: Cheung Po, 鄭保養: Zheng Baoyang.

鄭一: Zheng Yi, 鄭文顯: Zheng Wenxia, 耀一: Youyi, 鄭一郎: Zheng Yilang, Trịnh Nhất

Very active around Hong Kong and Macau, there is a well-known cave called Cheng Po Tsai Cave on Chueng Chau that the stories say the pirates hid in, but it is far too small for thousands.

1. TRT Silver badge

Reading all those names just sounds like I would imagine someone would hear if they were sat inside a little metal tin can floating far above the earth being peppered with a variety of little bits of debris travelling very, very fast.

1. W.S.Gosset

There's a Manga about that:

Onoma Topeya

4. steelpillow Silver badge
      Happy

Chinese space junk, eh? What's Pinyin for cyberpunk?

1. adam 40 Silver badge

宇宙的 帆船

Sài bó péngkè

5. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge
      Coat

RIGHT ON COMMANDER!

Mine's the one with a 5 1/4" disk in one pocket and a novella in the other...

6. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Interceptors Immediate launch!

https://www.facebook.com/GerryAndersonOfficial/videos/ufo-interceptors-immediate-launch/221768608763619/

1. Youngone Silver badge

Thanks for the video, I can only vaguely remember UFO on TV as I am old, but not that old.

The general feel seems to me to be 1940 with better music.

2. RobThBay

I'd forgotten that show. Thanks for the reminder.

1. TRT Silver badge

They have an episode specifically about the clearance of space junk and what a hazard to navigation it can be. However they do seem to try to fix that by blowing things up. The episode is called "Conflict!"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oops

"hello control. The capsule's run out of fuel and we're still about 1km short of the ISS... did someone forget to top up the tanks?"

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Bigger Oops

..are expected to lift off for the station from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 2103 ET on November 11 (0203 UTC the next day)

I.. don't think they're expecting that. Especially as they're already on their way to the ISS, having successfully launched at 2103ET on November 10th. And I was watching it live, unless the movie leaked and was released a day early..

Kinda neat given it was an instantaneous launch, ie had to go off on time and to energy budget to dock with the ISS. Which I guess is also complicated if the ISS had to move.

1. aje21

Indeed, this taken from SpaceX's website:

On Wednesday, November 10 at 9:03 p.m. EST, 2:03 UTC on November 11, SpaceX and NASA launched Dragon’s third long-duration operational crew mission (Crew-3) to the International Space Station from historic Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Following stage separation, Falcon 9’s first stage landed on the “A Shortfall of Gravitas" droneship.

On Thursday, November 11 at approximately 7:10 p.m. EST, 00:10 UTC on November 12, Dragon will autonomously dock with the space station. Follow Dragon and the Crew-3 astronauts during their flight to the International Space Station on the tracker below.

2. rcxb1

<blockquote>I.. don't think they're expecting that. Especially as they're already on their way to the ISS</blockquote>

Quite right, It'll be a real shock when they find a rocket on the pad, ready to go, hours after their prior launch.

Also: Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition...

Or should that be "Spamish"?

3. steelpillow Silver badge
    Coat

The burn increased the station's altitude

So maybe now it'll stay up until the black mould becomes a health risk. Or the Russian Driller Killer gets the upper hand...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't the Starlink constellation a bit higher than the ISS? Good luck dodging that metal storm when they eventually start decaying from orbit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, ~550 km vs 400 km.

The original Starlink plan was an orbit of 350 km, but the plan changed.

From wikipedia the currently being-executed plan is

First shell: 1,440 in a 550 km (340 mi) altitude shell at 53.0° inclination

Second shell: 1,440 in a 540 km (340 mi) shell at 53.2° inclination

Third shell: 720 in a 570 km (350 mi) shell at 70° inclination

Fourth shell: 336 in a 560 km (350 mi) shell at 97.6°

Fifth shell: 172 satellites in a 560 km (350 mi) shell at 97.6°

5. CityguyUSA

So Much Space Trash

Just a few week ago Elon Musk said that we should be putting our garbage in space. At the time it seemed to me the dumbest thing I've ever heard as if space is somehow unfillable. Yet, here today we had to move the Space Station to avoid a situation that could have ended like the movie Gravity. Relative to earth's garbage space is still mostly space but it's already becoming a problem and to even consider Musk's idea because he's seen as someone who's forward thinking, although I'd dispute that, would be a bad choice and we didn't even need this to happen to realize he's not the brightest bulb.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aw, man, when are they going to install the Phasers on that sucker? :)

7. hayzoos

Mega Maid

All the talk of the space junk, trash, debris, and such with no mention of the obvious solution. . . Mega Maid.

8. Conundrum1885

Phasers

Actually thats not a terrible idea.

Using electromagnetic grapplers or my idea of an electromagnetic field pulse generator, one could knock a given piece of space

debris out of the way.

Better still, slow it down using a series of these satellites to steer its trajectory away from anything important.

Thinking something like "Threading the Needle" here, with a set of superconducting toroids on the satellites about 50 metres in diameter.

that the debris flies through, and each one slows down the object by a percentage due to Lorenz forces.

Once captured, simply store it or better still reprocess into something useful.

High grade Ti and other components are somewhat useful for future colonization.

Thinking a reverse coilgun here, basically.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like