back to article Linux 5.16 to bring mainline support to Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module – and the nifty devices built around it

While folks straddling the worlds of both Windows and Linux will appreciate the shiny NTFS support in version 5.15 of the open-source kernel, Arm device users may find more to appreciate in the following release. Linux kernel 5.16 will include mainline support for the Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module, as well as the Apple M1 chip …

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Because of its eMMC and its PCIe slot, the compute module 4 makes a better Pi than a standard Pi for normal users, I use an 8GB/32 one with a 1TB NVMe in the PCIe as my main desktop.

1. blah@blag.com

Curious ...

Last year my home laptop fell over and I was without for a month while it was getting repaired. For once I actually didn't have an alternative desktop and had to manage with a crappy old ipad (the horror).

I have an alternate now just in case but I'm curious about your setup. You say you use it as your main desktop, what's your item list, case etc please ?

Re: Curious ...

What is an "item list, case etc" ???? I don't know what that means.

It's just a general purpose PC. It has Office stuff, does web development, has VS Code with C++, C and rust, I use it to make applications and games. Use Qt, and libraries like SDL and SFML. It runs postgreSQL with the DB on the 1TB drive, and other general stuff like any average PC user might use, gimp etc. It's also a web server, running python/flask with gunicorn and nginx proxy.

1. Stoneshop
          Boffin

What is an "item list, case etc" ????

The bits that you stuck the CM4 on to, providing connectivity, and the bits you stuck the result into. At least, that's my guess.

Oh, then the answer is I have the standard RapsberryPi IO board, a Waveshare case (£10.50) that I cut a hole in the top with a dremel to accommodate the NVMe SSD. The SSD is in an adapter into the PCIe slot. I have the standard Raspberry Pi WiFi antenna too, but I'm actually using the Ethernet port hard cable to my switch.

2. Wellyboot Silver badge
    Unhappy

The Helios64 is no more

https://blog.kobol.io/2021/08/25/we-are-pulling-the-plug/

1. Liam Proven Silver badge

Re: The Helios64 is no more

Oh, that is sad news. Thank you for the info -- I will bear it in mind next time.

All the more reason to favour a RasPi, really...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RPIs are *not* fully functional with mainline kernels

I see this repeated on various places online, that the various RPI models are (fully) supported by recent mainline Linux kernels but that is not the case.

A RPI may well boot currently using a 5.15 kernel but without various RPI Foundation patches applied various RPI-specific components either do not work or do not work correctly/reliably.

For example the mainline kernel does not support Device Tree Overlays which RPI boards rely upon for supporting things like RPI's own PoE fan, case fan, and various 3rd party HATs (e.g. for 3rd party high quality audio).

If you compare the mainline kernel with RPI Foundations current changes to it the resulting patch file is huge.

1. Solviva

Re: RPIs are *not* fully functional with mainline kernels

But this is talking about 5.16, not 5.15.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RPIs are *not* fully functional with mainline kernels

> But this is talking about 5.16, not 5.15.

Indeed, however 5.16 will also not be fully functional for RPIs - the RPI Foundation's "diff" between mainline kernel and their RPI kernel appears to be getting bigger, not smaller, with each release.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like