back to article Truckload of GPUs stolen on their way out of San Francisco

US-based Nvidia partner EVGA has reported that a shipment of GPUs it was sending to a distribution centre has been stolen from a truck. A forum post by EVGA product manager Jacob Freeman states “PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on October 29, 2021, a shipment of EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards was stolen from a truck en route …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fell off the back of a lorry, guv

EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 XC3 Black 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

Brand new: Lowest price

$1,899.99

+ $99.99 Shipping

Get it by Monday, Nov 15 from Chino Hills, California

• New condition

• 30 day returns - Free returns

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Headmaster

Are they also smart enough to use a VPN and/or Tor to hide their tracks?

If not, check El Reg for instructions on how not to get caught!?

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Are they also smart enough to use a VPN and/or Tor to hide their tracks?

I recall a guy in one of the US Southern states (May have been a Reg story).

Using Tor from a USB Bootable Linux distro, he had gone onto the dark web, bought some illegal goodies (from a site taken over by the FBI) then provided his real name and shipping address for the delivery.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

But how would the buyer know?

Since the only way to get a GPU nowadays seems to be through scalpers, how would a buyer ever know if what he's buying was stolen or not?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: But how would the buyer know?

the warranties may have been invalidated but the smart thing would be to let the registration page take the details as normal but then follow those up to trace the distribution network.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apparently, to sell on EBay as a "hobbyist", all you need to give is a name, phone number, and a social security number - not difficult to fake those. And even if they weren't fake, the info given to seller by their seller is probably fake (as they must have suspected because the product was cheap).

1. imanidiot Silver badge

That makes the assumption that the product was cheap and the buyer could have known better. But with the current dearth of availability those carts will probably be sold with just as much markup and premium as "gray market"/scalped stock from resellers operating within the law.

2. jason_derp

Honestly if I knew they were stolen, at least there's quality control. Better than trying to buy rebranded or refurbed cards online. Hard to see any negatives for the consumer.

3. DS999 Silver badge

If driver updates blacklisted the serial numbers of the stolen GPUs you'd know when you tried to use it, though that would be a bit too late!

4. W.S.Gosset
    Trollface

$1959.99 !?

That's a grathiccs card!

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Facepalm

GPUs or Graphics cards?

The headline and the constant references in the article to GPUs implies it was the chips on the way to the factory making graphics cards that were stolen, except for the quote by the NVidia guy who correctly refers to "graphics cards". I expect more from El Reg authors and editors.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: GPUs or Graphics cards?

That quote was practically the first thing in the article....did you simply not read the article in the normal order?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>..did you simply not read the article in the normal order?

Programmer, Forth, am I

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I did, but clearly the author didn't.

After all, no one refers to the system board as a CPU, so why refer to a graphics card as a GPU?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There again we deal with users who refer to the PC as the "hard drive".

2. jgard
      Pint

Well, slap me with a kipper! I never knew Mr Logic was an El Reg reader. The drinks are on me Lawrence!

6. MJI Silver badge

Is it gamers trying to get cards

To stop the bitcoin PITAs getting them?

Better than the other way round

1. tony72

Re: Is it gamers trying to get cards

You don't mine bitcoin with GPUs.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Re: Is it gamers trying to get cards

You do however mine other cryptocurrencies with GPUs, for which you often get paid in BTC...

Unless you're just trying to score nit-picky points, it really doesn't matter whether or not you're mining the BTC directly on your GPU, the end result is still an insatiable demand for GPUs from people wanting to convert GPU time into BTC one way or another (and being willing to pay above RRP for them), which has an undesirable impact on GPU availability (at more reasonable prices) for everyone else.

7. Blackjack Silver badge

I think in my whole life I never used a video card warranty, not because I never had video problems but because those problems always showed after years of use.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

> I think in my whole life I never used a video card warranty, not because I never had video problems but because those problems always showed after years of use moments after the warranty expired.

TFTFY

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Once had a GeForce 8800 Ultra that failed several years after the warranty expired. While waiting for the replacement to arrive, I read on a forum somewhere that this could be caused by dry joints and sticking it in a hot oven could get it working again.

Nothing to lose, so gave it a try. It worked! Got the machine up and running again until the new card arrived then went into the box 'o' bits as an emergency use replacement.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Windows

This

Is why we can’t have nice things.

9. Roger Kynaston

Vin Diesel?

I sort of paid attention to the plot in Fast and Furious 256 and wasn't it about knocking off trucks?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like