back to article New year, new OS: OneDrive support axed for old versions of Windows from 1 Jan 2022

Microsoft has reminded everyone that OneDrive is for the chop in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 by the end of the year. The warning applies to personal users – support for business users "will be aligned with the Windows support lifecycle." Destined for the axe is the personal version of the desktop application responsible for …

1. J27

I predict they did a survey of installed clients and found out that less than 0.1% were running any flavour of Windows 8.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Devil

Yes, but what about 7? I expect there are more people using that than 8.

I'm quite sure there are more people using WinXP than Win8.

Also, may I point out that OneDrive is perfectly usable under Linux and has a completely free open-source implementation.

apt-get install onedrive

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: OneDrive is perfectly usable under Linux

Doesn't surprise me. However, in my experience it was often broken under Windows which is why I always turn it off.

2. Korev Silver badge
    Childcatcher

As someone whose hardware is "too old" for Win11; I'd be more interested in knowing how long Win10 will be supported by OneDrive...

1. jollyboyspecial

Well they've said that it will be aligned with the Windows support cycle, so if you are interested just go and look it up...

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

They said its in line with the Windows support cycle, but then go an kill support of Onedrive software for Windows 8.1 a year before the EOL of the OS.

I very much doubt there is anything that MS would actually need to do to keep support for Windows 8.1 for another year, since apart from some UI tweaks there isn't much changed underneath the hood between Windows 8.1, 10 and 11

Just seems like MS trying to push users to upgrade from 8.1 before support ends as they don't get all that lovely telemetry from Windows 8.1 users.

2. BrownishMonstr

Windows 10 came out 6 years ago, so another 2 years at least, maybe 6.

1. Test Man
  3. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

How about onedrive for up-to-date Windows and MacOS?

It would be neat if Microsoft actually made versions of Onedrive that actually fucking synced properly even on the latest versions of MacOS and Windows! How many times have I had to deal with 'Uploading 0KB of 125KB' that just sits there and does absolutely sod-all until it's reset or rebooted or deleted and reinstalled??!!

Or when a sync problem occurs (a daily feature), it just sits there and stops syncing anything at all, because of one clash?

Or clashes happening for no reason because two people dare to open the same file - a features that's *supposed* to work?

Or the onedrive client just exits and nothing syncs for weeks? The end-user will say "but I restart it every day" when what they mean is they shut the PC down and turn it on again. Because of Microsoft's "fast start" bollocks, it doesn't REALLY shut down properly. And things that have stopped working, like Onedrive, just stay broken. Actually that's a whole other rant.

1. ShadowSystems

At AnthonyHegedus, re: power down.

Since I was always conscious of my electricity use by things I'd supposedly turned off^, I began to use power strips with a physical on/off button. Plug the computer into the power strip, tell the computer to shut down, wait for the confirmation chime, then flip the power strip switch to off. The only way I could be any more sure is if I physicly unplugged the power strip entirely.

^:Thanks to my BioDad that constantly harped on us kids if we so much as left a room & left a light on behind us. "But I'm just going to the WC, dad, I'll be right back." Too bad, turn it off! *Sigh*

1. Alan_Peery

Re: At AnthonyHegedus, re: power down.

That doesn't fix the Windows fast-start/fake shutdown issue. You have to disable fast start, or hold down the shift key when selecting the shutdown menu.

2. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Unfortunately that won't make any difference. When you shut down a Windows PC, it does actually turn the power off, but it doesn't shut down the OS fully - it does a hibernate. Actually it logs out the current user and then does a hibernate, then turns off. So the PC is just using a watt or two (someone will correct me) being on 'standby'.

Turning it off at the power strip will not make any difference to the shutdown state of the PC. When you turn it back on, whether it's been off on standby, or powered off at the strip, it'll restore the hibernated session, along with all the windows problems that haven't been fixed because the OS hasn't been restarted. This is called 'fast start' because the process of restoring the hibernate session is faster than starting up normally. Although these days, with SSDs and faster PCs, there's little if any difference. The 'fast start' system actually causes more problems than it fixes: slightly faster boot-up, on older PCs at the expense of system problems that never get resolved until the next update which requires a restart.

On a separate note, turning your PC off at the mains causing another problem: the small battery in the PC that maintains the system time depletes faster. It'll last years less if the PC is powered off, say, 60% of the time.

On an even more separate note, my dad was like that too - turning the landing light off before I got to the top of the stairs because it appeared to be on for no reason :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"On a separate note, turning your PC off at the mains causing another problem: "

IIRC the most likely time for a piece of electrical/electronic equipment to break is at power up. Our company once instigated a "power off" policy for video terminals. Within a month it was rescinded as so many were out-of-service awaiting repair.

EU rules have set "stand by" power for electronic equipment to be about 2w - with a further reduction being proposed.

I used a mechanical mains timer to switch off some house electronics at night. I discovered that the timer took more power than the quiescent devices.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OneDrive

OneDrive to rule them all,

OneDrive to find them,

OneDrive to bring them all,

and in the darkness bind them.

1. TheGriz
      Mushroom

Re: OneDrive

Which one of you wants to volunteer to take OneDrive to the Mountain of Doom and throw it in the caldera, and free everyone from Microsoft's cloud based dictatorship?

I vote we nominate Bill Gates' ex-wife, I bet she has the will AND the resources to get it done.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

"take OneDrive to the Mountain of Doom and throw it in the caldera,"

Yeah, but instead of Gollum being your guide, it's McBride.

(I'd feel safer with Gollum, myself).

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Happy

(see icon)

3. richardcox13

s/OneDrive/Google Drive/

works just as well...

5. BrownishMonstr

I still preferred when it was called "Sky Drive"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I still preferred when it was called "Something we might get around to coding one day, maybe. But we've got to get .NET 2.0 out right now."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arbitrary dropping of support

Who the hell do they think they are? Apple?

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Arbitrary dropping of support

At least they're not doing a Google and killing the service "next month, so you better hurry up finding alternatives"

2. 45RPM Silver badge

Yeah, I know, I know. Anything Apple must be bad (although I suspect you know that such a black and white view is imbecilic or you wouldn’t have posted as Anonymous Coward)

It is worth noting though that if you want to keep that sweet sweet file sync action going on older versions of Windows, iCloud Drive still works with Windows 7.

Just because you don’t have any Apple hardware doesn’t mean that you can’t use (enjoy might be pushing it) Apple products.

3. richardcox13

The article gets the dates wrong.

The actual message is from start of next year in line with the support of the OS: only Win8 loses support in Jan 2022 (as Win 8 iwent EoL Jan 2016);. Win7 & 8.1 continue until 2023-01-23.

That will have been a decade for Windows 7: how much support to you expect to get without further payment?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That will have been a decade for Windows 7: how much support to you expect to get without further payment?"

I would happily pay for W7 support for useful tweaks under the hood. What I wasn't buying was the way W8 onwards have made their OS unpalatable.

7. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Free cloud storage killed the home NAS companies

People used to maintain backups at home, nowadays everything's in the cloud and streaming so home storage had pretty much disappeared. Does this "update" mean that home storage might return? I have used Google Backup and Sync and OneDrive for years and now they are both being updowngraded so I'm going to look into having my own cloud storage box - I plan to quit all of the cloud data-grabbers.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: Free cloud storage killed the home NAS companies

Honestly they didn't. The sorts of consumers that use things like OneDrive and Dropbox were never going to be able to set up a home NAS anyway.

The closest I have seen was the Apple Time Capsule stuff but that was a bit of a flop.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd like to see OneDrive store my 4TB of stuff. Actually, no I wouldn't.

3. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Happy

Cloud storage box?

Take an old 'ish PC , mine is about 2010'ish , has intel raid thingy on boot up(was'nt used), however 4 500 gig sata drives later + 1 300 gig non raid HDD for booting , add linux mint and a bit of samba magic

I got myself a decent storage box....... and yeah I could upgrade it to 2TB drives.. but for what I store.... it aint worth it.

(if I could be bothered, make it a headless server I can remote into .. but then its used as youtube player/guitar amp/source game server as well.. so the moniter and speakers stay )

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

4x 500GB drives? Pfft, that wouldn't even contain my MP3 collection.

(And I just realized that makes me sound like a time-traveler from the mid-2000s...)

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Unhappy

do you really want your mp3 collection to be stored on someone else's server, subject to THEIR whims?

just thought I'd point that out. I have to wonder how much marketing information can be gleaned from someone's preferences in music... or whether the content's owner has legit copies or not, etc.

[de-duplication algorithms might look at binary mismatches as "possible copyright infringement" - just sayin']

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"however 4 500 gig sata drives later + 1 300 gig non raid HDD for booting"

With software RAID using ZFS, you can have root on that and boot from it. No need for the single point of failure of a separate boot drive.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

ZFS is pretty cool, yeah. I boot into ZFS on my workstations for 3-4 years now.

Periodic 'zpool scrub' spotted a hard drive going bad before any real data loss. It's a real butt-saver.

(it's used on FreeNAS as well, as I recall)

[And last I checked OneDrive does not work for FreeBSD or Linux anyway]

4. hoola Silver badge

For most consumers they are not "backups" but rather a synchronised copy.

The local data gets deleted or duffed up, then so is the remote copy.

This is one of the huge issues I have with all the cloud sync stuff. None of it is a true backup, it is merely an additional copy (or in many cases, the only copy) on someone else's hardware.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What if you don't want it, and spend ages fighting it off like some sort of hydra on the family's computers?

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Mushroom

See also: News and Weather taskbar widget, Candy Crush etc, Settings app headline "earn points!" bar, Bing Web search from the Start Menu (and Bing in general), Edge, etc etc etc...

9. jake Silver badge

A remote personal file server is the way to go.

Shirley you lot have remote ("off campus") personal file servers? Why trust other people for remote data storage when you can park an old Pentium box of arbitrary capacity and encryption of choice on your Great Aunt Ruth's DSL line in Duluth?[0] Has worked for me since DSL became available in Duluth ...

Offer to pay for her DSL (she'll probably decline), and promise to only use the bandwidth once per day in the wee hours Duluth time so you don't interrupt her viewing of cute cat videos. Offer to similarly backup her data (and cute cat pics) onto your home equipment. Automating both to happen at 3AM Duluth time should be trivial. Use the encryption method of your choice.

You can invite other friends relatives into your "circle of archive protection". Once you've got yours and the Great Aunt's automated, adding a few more archive sites is trivial, as is adding redundant backup sites. The first time it's needed, by any any one of them, for any reason, the minimal effort will have been worth it. (For example, a friend who lost everything in the Tubbs fire a couple years ago still has copies of all his important documents, email, personal pictures and home videos. Priceless, that.)

[0] Insert other favorite elderly relative+city+connection method to meet your needs. An old, low power draw, headless laptop is ideal for this kind of thing. I run a very minimalistic BSD on mine, YMMV.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: A remote personal file server is the way to go.

"An old, low power draw, headless laptop is ideal for this kind of thing."

Pi.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: A remote personal file server is the way to go.

might be even cheaper to get a rent-a-server with ssh access. Then use scp or sftp to copy things onto it, and maybe the web server to download it (if you want it public anyway).

DSL costs quite a bit more than a rent-a-server last I checked. And the bandwidth would be better.

10. teknopaul

Win10 support

Can we get the removal of oneDrive ported to windows 10 please.

I have a cmd script on my desktop to remove it. Which needs running regularly to stop it uploading .m2/repository

And an avatar thats says "Victims of OneDrive" for all the time and data loss that it has cost me

11. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Big Brother

Incorrect article title

Should read "Older Operating Systems now protected against MSFT slurping your files"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like