back to article What a clock up: Brit TV-broadband giant Sky fails to pick up weekend's timezone change, fix due by Friday

Sky+ set-top boxes have failed to set themselves back an hour after the UK stumbled from British Summer Time to Greenwich Mean Time at the weekend. The problem showed up on the support forums of the TV'n'broadband giant as confused viewers noted the clock on their screens had not changed. While at Christmas, kids might hope …

1. ShadowSystems

I hate DST.

I don't know why it's still a thing, I don't care, I just wish it would stop.

I'm not going to waste my time resetting all the clocks in my life every six months just because some government Jobsworth tells me it's good for me. Fuck that. I leave them as-is & just let others do their own mental math to adjust.

Besides, since I'm blind & it's midnight-black every nanosecond of every day, I don't know what DST is supposed to do for me other than annoy the shite out of me...

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

Re: I hate DST.

I'm not going to waste my time resetting all the clocks in my life every six months just because some government Jobsworth tells me it's good for me.

This is a technology oriented web site - why are you buying clocks that don't adjust themselves automatically? The technology has been around for several decades at least. Go on to a well known eTailer's site and you'll get four pages of radio controlled wall clocks, several for under £20.

If you're still using manually adjusted clocks you only have yourself to blame ;)

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Oh yeah, speaking of radio controlled clocks... I got one that displays all the words written out, like "Wednesday" and "January"

Problem is, if it doesn't get the nightly WWVB broadcast, it doesn't update the date! For example, it stayed "SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 4" for a week. By the time I noticed it, it was too late to return.

This is the "Marathon" brand clock, designed in Canada.

Edit: All my other "atomic" clocks roll the date at midnight, no matter what.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: By the time I noticed it, it was too late to return.

No it's not too late to return it if you go by the number of days that the manufacturer thinks you've had (rather than the number of actual days).

1. old miscreant

I find that my automatically updating clocks don't always do the actual update, presumably due to a poor received time signal.

Consequently, I always have to check the correct time by referring to my old Casio wristwatch.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I must admit that even though almost every clock in my house sets itself automatically, I don't trust the bloody things for precisely that reason.

It stems from the time not really that (no more than ten years) long ago when my DAB radio alarm didn't wake me up on time because it had somehow decided not to reset the time at the BST/GMT switch.

It's done it properly every time since, but I still don't trust it (and I check to make sure).

What really pisses me off, though, is that none of my Fords (Focuses previously, currently a Puma) will change automatically. Damn things have GPS and satnav, so it shouldn't be that hard.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Timezones are political, using GPS to figure out your timezone is impractical, and in some cases impossible as there's cities that have two timezones depending on who you are, not where.

The rules also change fairly often, sometimes at very short notice.

I'm not surprised that Ford decided "stuff that for a laugh".

My Citroën is the same. It figures out UTC automatically (presumably via GPS), and I manually set the offset.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

"there's cities that have two timezones depending on who you are"

This sounds far too intriguing to be covered by just a simple statement like this - tell us more!

"My Citroën is the same. It figures out UTC automatically (presumably via GPS), and I manually set the offset."

That at least would be an improvement over what the previous commenter (and myself) experience in our cars, which is a total and utter disinterest in attempting to help us in any way maintain the correct time. And it's not even a case of it being a premium feature/option - I remember the fairly standard spec Vauxhalls my parents used to drive in the 90's being able to set their clocks automatically (possibly related to the introduction of RDS radios), yet none of the Jaguars I've owned in the last decade have had the slightest desire to help me keep their clocks ticking over accurately.

1. Ol'Peculier

A few years ago I drove US Route 50 from coast to coast, so every now and again we'd pass into a different time zone. What we learnt was to look at the clocks on the big displays outside banks to decide when to change, as some places right next to the time zone may choose which side of the line they wanted to be on.

Was odd driving along and changing the clock on the car in the middle of the afternoon...

3. Cuddles

Of course, with mobile phones you can have the exact opposite problem with them automatically updating when they're not supposed to. Anyone who's visited Dover or the surroundings will know the fun of having your phone decide you're actually in France and jump the clock an hour ahead to match. I've also had occasional issues when using a VPN, although that seems very inconsistent in how my phone handles it. It seems to be a common theme with "smart" devices that even when they work, they end up trying to be too smart for their own good and end up going through working and right out the other side into a different kind of failure. There's definitely something to be said for a dumb clock that just blindly spins in circles to show elapsed time. I can probably figure out for myself whether I've taken it to France or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

> Anyone who's visited Dover or the surroundings will know the fun of having your phone decide you're actually in France and jump the clock an hour ahead to match.

Depending on particular French mobile operator... The timezone update notification you mentioned is "NITZ" which in the past was not supported by all mobile operators (as it was an optional part of the standards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NITZ).

I remember when frequently travelling between Ireland and Germany that the phone's time correctly updated (went back 1 hour) when arriving in Ireland from Germany but did *not* go forward 1 hour when travelling in the opposite direction as the particular German OpCo used did not support NITZ.

In the past I've also experienced particular OpCos who consistently announce incorrect time (i.e. maybe 5+ minutes wrong) to handsets despite mobile networks themselves these days needing very accurate time for their own infrastructure to actually work.

Also in your scenario the problem isn't with your "smart" device, i.e. phone, it is with the "physics" of radio propagation that a radio signal from France may be stronger in Dover than a "local" signal or no local signal. The phone is doing *exactly* what it is designed/configured to do - syncing its clock and timezone with whatever mobile network it is using - the majority of phones make this timesync configurable, in the same way that you can disable roaming (when not expecting/wanting to roam) as well. Imagine what people living close to the Spain/Portugal border must do/put up with...

4. heyrick Silver badge
              Meh

My radio controlled wall clock checks and synchronises itself at midnight.

The time change happens afterwards.

So I have either a day of it being an hour out, or take it off the wall and poke the reset button.

2. 9Rune5

This is a technology oriented web site - why are you buying clocks that don't adjust themselves automatically?

Yeah, put a black tape to cover the microwave oven's clock and put a modern clock next to it. Great idea.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

And the cooker ( and some people's fridges I believe) or the coffee machine-and any nice ornamental clocks in the living room or hallway, or just older clocks that we quite like. Or interesting watches.

Just because we're tehchie minded here doesn't mean we're soulless robots.

3. ShadowSystems

At AndrueC, re: atomic clocks.

I would love to get one, unfortunately it also needs to say the time aloud so I can know it at all. Being blind means I can't just glance over & determine the time, I need to physicly interact with the clock to trigger an audio version.

There are talking clocks, there are atomic clocks, there are even a rare few talking atomic clocks, but they also tend to be so hideously expensive that it makes an Apple product look cheap in comparison.

My current desktop clock is a prime example. It's supposed to be a talking atomic clock, but it has *never* auto-adjusted to the best of my knowledge. Various sighted helpers have tried to determine how to force a time synch, to no avail. We can manually set the date/time, but it refuses to auto-adjust no matter what. We've even called the manufacturer & asked how to accomplish that function. They said to press a certain set of buttons in a certain order. Except this clock doesn't have any such set of buttons. I explained that to the maker, they RMA'd the clock back, sent me a new one... and it doesn't have those buttons either.

The only clocks I have that I *know* auto-adjust are the ones on my computer & the one on my cellphone. Everything else is either manual+talking, atomic+silent, or too old to tell time any longer.

Anyone want a cucu clock that only announces that it's thirteen o'clock? =-J

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: At AndrueC, re: atomic clocks.

I got one for my dad earlier this year (he has macular degeneration and is almost blind). Well, it's 'radio-controlled', anyway. It was the Verbalise Talking Clock.

It works like a dream, and it changed itself automatically over the weekend (though I was sceptical as I always am about trusting them to do it).

My dad likes to go to bed at 6.30pm and wake up very early, so going by the amount of light isn't really any good to him as the year waxes and wanes.

1. ShadowSystems

At CuChulainn...

*Hands you a super sized tankard of the finest sudsy stuff*

Thank you for the link, I'm delighted to find that the prices have come way down since I bought my current pseudo-atomic-talking clock. I've just ordered one of them & can't wait for it to hurry up & get here.

*Taps tankards in gratitude*

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I would love to get one, unfortunately it also needs to say the time aloud so I can know it at all. Being blind means I can't just glance over & determine the time, I need to physicly interact with the clock to trigger an audio version."

When my grans eyes got so bad she couldn't tell the time from the clock, my dad took the glass off the front so she could feel the pointers. This was the pre-digital age so the only other option would be to dial the speaking clock, except she didn't have a phone and that would have been a waste of money from her point of view.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Back in the 80s, when my Mum taught at a school for blind kids, you still got wristwatches with flip-up cases so you could feel the hand position. There were talking clocks at that point, but I don't think talking watches were available - as the tech wasn't yet small (and/or cheap) enough.

4. John 110
        Joke

The wallclock that I inherited from my granny (made in the Black Forest in the late 1800s apparently) is having difficulty connecting to the atomic clocks to do it's updating. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

A small robot arm controlled by a Pi Zero to move the pointers?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Mushroom

I suggest that what you need is an atomic cuckoo.

5. dave 81

Oven? Microwave? Car?

2. wolfetone Silver badge

At least you'll be on time for things for 6 months of the year.

3. jmch Silver badge

DST is a pain, and it's well documented that there are productivity losses, spikes in traffic accidents etc at the switchover points. There is even a strong push at least EU-wide to ditch it, except that now teh argument is whether to permanently stick to 'normal' or 'Daylight saving' time.

Let's face it, human society has evolved from sunrise-to-sunset to sunrise-to-firelight and then to sunrise-to-lights-out. Very few people voluntarily wake up before sunrise, most who do so have to work or travel early. For the vast majority of people, much more of our awake time is after 'real' noon than before it. So permanent DST would give the maximum use of daylight hours throughout the year.

1. Irony Deficient

Very few people voluntarily wake up before sunrise, …

… most who do so have to work or travel early.

That’s probably due to what time they tend to go to sleep — “early to bed, early to rise”, and all that.

Once a certain age is reached, some wake up before sunrise because they have an insistent bladder.

2. jtaylor

"DST is a pain, and it's well documented that there are productivity losses, spikes in traffic accidents etc at the switchover points....permanent DST would give the maximum use of daylight hours throughout the year."

I agree that changing clocks for DST is stupid. I think that "permanent DST" is even more stupid. If we're going to stop messing with the clocks, just go back to regular time.You know, where noon is nominally mid-day.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Yup, and being within a shortish journey (crow files style, London Transport routes tend to be wheel spokes so real travel times are much longer unless you're going to the West End </rant>), where was I? Oh yes, ..from Greenwich, it seems total madness to leave the clocks permanently 1 hr offset from actual Greenwich time.

3. RegGuy1 Silver badge

There is even a strong push at least EU-wide to ditch it

One thing's for sure if they do ditch it the chimpanzees that run our country will decided always to be one hour out. We can't be the same as the rest of Europe -- the brexiters wouldn't like that coz that would be just too sensible.

That would be because of geography, not to be contrary. The UK is more or less always an hour out of step with Europe. Portugal is on the same timezone as the UK, Spain probably should be, France could go either way. Some of the most eastern countries are on GMT+2 and other eastern EU countries really ought to be on GMT+2 but are on GMT+1 like the majority of the EU. The EU is spread over 3 time zones but only the most extreme edges have chosen not to "harmonise" with the rest of the EU (rightly so IMO, others should join them)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The EU has more than 3 timezones given than French Guyana, New Caledonia, Tahiti etc are all EU territory as part of "overseas France".

In terms of Geography the UK issue is that we are much further north than Portugal + Northern England and especially Western Scotland is significantly west of the meridian so all year DST is a problem given how late sunrise becomes. (I remember my sister commenting around this time a couple of years ago arriving on a trip to western Scotland that she was surprised that having come so afr north that it was light later in the evening than at home in Cambridge ... I replied that she needed to wait till the next morning to see how late it was before it got light!)

"The EU has more than 3 timezones given than French Guyana, New Caledonia, Tahiti etc are all EU territory as part of "overseas France".

Well, yes, but I was really talking about "mainland" EU, obviously. Otherwise we'd than have to start taking into account all the far flung UK territories too when discussing the "UK" time zone.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"the brexiters wouldn't like that..." Oh do please grow up.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

I don't observe DST. I come in at for work at 8am, and when the DST shit happens, I come in at "9am"

When they complain, I plan to say "DST is against my religion. The clock is sacred. Leave it alone." - so far nobody has complained, or even noticed.

Most of my clocks are either computers or "atomic" clocks that get the US WWVB broadcast, and even my wristwatch is self-adjusting. For those that aren't, like my motorcycles, microwave, stove, etc. FUCK 'EM, they stay on EST and like it.

This is because changing time REALLY REALLY fucks with my sleep schedule. After the time change, it takes about 3 months before my body stops pitching a fit and lets me sleep on a schedule again. And unfortunately, I'm not exaggerating or joking. God knows I wish I was.

1. jvf

Changing time REALLY REALLY fucked with my sleep schedule as well. Fortunately, I live in Hawaii now where DST is not observed so the agony of switching back and forth is a fading memory.

1. TheRealRoland

I guess someone doesn't like it that you live in Hawaii?

Happy

I guess someone doesn't like it that you live in Hawaii?

Is it the anti pineapple on pizza taleban perhaps? Hawaii can never be forgiven.

1. Col_Panek

It's the Spam. Yecch. Outside of that, it's heavenly because there's no time changing.

2. Crypto Monad Silver badge

When they complain, I plan to say "DST is against my religion. The clock is sacred. Leave it alone." - so far nobody has complained, or even noticed.

Or just tell them that you're following what Microsoft tells you to do. Outlook/Office365 schedules meetings like this:

When: 20 October 2021 13:00-14:00 (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London.

That is a very precise specification of a time. UTC is well defined, UTC+00:00 is even more explicit that they're not talking about daylight savings time. However if I turn up to the meeting at that time, I am told I am one hour late.

What they *meant* was 13:00 UK local time, or 13:00 BST, or 13:00 UTC+01:00. Microsoft has been pulling this crap for years and I don't know how they still get away with it. (Google manages to get it right).

1. John Sager

Microsoft got time wrong with MS-DOS and has never recovered. Which is sad because Unix got it right first time and before MS existed.

Re: Microsoft got time wrong with MS-DOS and has never recovered

MS like to do things differently. If they manufactured wheels they wouldn't be circular. Typical examples would be XPS and Internet Explorer.

5. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Agreed, the problem here in the good ol' US of Stupid is the politician and all those "climate con men' keep wanting to change just 'when' DST starts and ends.

I still remember the nightmare of the old Nortel phone system where the dates for DST were hard coded into the operating system and no one new how to change the time! We finally found some 79 year old guy who's 1 man company still supported this dinosaur!

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Happy

All my watches, my heating thermostat, living room clock and my alarm clock all update automatically. Of course so do my computers and - as it happens - My Sky Q. I do have to go round my power timers switching them in/out of DST though otherwise the TV goes off at 10pm instead of 11pm, lol.

DST is an easy problem to solve with modern (or even not so modern) technology. I refuse to buy any timepiece that can't handle the transition itself (preferably by listening to the national radio time signal).

Unfortunately there is one clock that annoyingly needs manual intervention - the one in my car. Despite it being a modern car with an infotainment unit and access to GPS data or even my phone via Bluetooth it needs to be told when DST has started or ended.

Personally I think the concept of DST is a great one and I wish we went double during June. It's ridiculous how much gorgeous daylight is being wasted between 5am and 7am when it's little use to anyone. Shift it to the evening where we can all enjoy it :) (*)

(*)Yeah I know, those with young children won't be quite so happy about that.

1. herman

Ayup - the clock in my car has no discernable way to adjust it, so it ends up wrong for half the year. Why it can’t get time from the GPS and handle the time zone etc correctly is a deep mystery.

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr

Because time zones are a political creation, not a mathematical formula. Your car would need an internet connection to keep the time zone database up-to-date. I'm sure if you read your car's manual, you could discern a way to change the clock.

1. Irony Deficient

Your car would need an internet connection to keep the time zone database up-to-date.

My car has an in-dash compass with a manual arcdegree setting to adjust for local magnetic declination. The car is old enough that its extreme setting no longer accommodates the declination at Deficiency House, due to the north magnetic pole’s steady migration towards Siberia.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Time zones are a mathematical formula, but national boundaries, and hence the implementation of time zones and their regular changes is a political creation.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

I just discovered the time on my Energica SS9 electric motorcycle does have a GPS, and does understand DST and timezones, and displays the time accordingly. If I ride across a timezone boundary, it changes. When DST changes, it updates.

My jaw is still rattling around on the floor from discovering this.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

DST is NOT an easy problem to solve.

There is a whole team of people monitoring the laws around the world governing timezones and DST and updating the timezone database appropriately. (It used to just be Arthur David Olsen, all by his lonely)

Every time I update Debian, there's a timezones update.

- Palestine will fall back 2021-10-29 (not 2021-10-30) at 01:00.

- 01-no-leap-second-2021-12-31.patch: No leap second on 2021-12-31 as per IERS Bulletin C 62.

- 02-samoa-dst.patch: Samoa no longer observes DST.

- 03-jordan-dst.patch: Jordan now starts DST on February's last Thursday.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Time changes can be fatal

A few years ago (decades, now) a couple of naughty Palestinians drove a car loaded with explosives into Haifa. Unfortunately (for them) they failed to notice the time change when crossing into Israel, and it went >BOOM< an hour early.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wish we went double

I have an acute allergy to the whole concept of morning, but being up at dawn on a summer's day is glorious. Watching the bats hunt then the different species of birds start to stir all before the rest of the human race raises their weary heads is a beautiful thing.

Almost makes working f**king stupid shifts worthwhile.

I'm at about 53 degrees North, and in the middle of summer, it never quite gets properly dark. On a clear night, there's still a faint glow in the sky to the North. That means dawn is really, really early. Far too early for me :-)

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

I can see how wonderful that could be, especially if you can then go to bed. (OK I'm a night owl. I don't like mornings...or afternoons)

3. Whiskers

I'm a night owl too; sometimes I am still awake at tomorow's dawn. I have been known to wait up for a crack-of-dawn airoplane departure time - far easier than trying to wake up early.

re: I'm a night owl too

surely a rooster-tiger person?

1. Whiskers

Rooster-tiger

<plunders web for data>

Hmm. Seems I'm a Yang Metal Tiger, for what it's worth. I'll confess to the alleged character traits I like ...

4. Whiskers

Perhaps we could go back to what some places did in the Good Old Days and start counting the hours from observed sunrise (&/or sunset). Local priests or government employees could visit every timepiece to adjust it - a particularly useful service if the hours were also required to vary in length with the seasons.

The Japanese had it all worked out <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clock>.

Pint

Re: The Japanese had it all worked out

What an informative link.

1. Whiskers

Re: The Japanese had it all worked out

We can thank the ancient Babylonians for the 24 hour day currently in vogue.

In early mediaeval Europe daylight was divided into four 'tides'; there are still some sundials indicating these tides along with the 'canonical hours' for Christian prayers (which were timed on the basis of 12 daylight hours as used in the middle East). These tides or hours varied in length with the seasons (and latitude); fixed-length hours are a side-effect of mechanical clocks and a European inclination to let machines dictate behaviour rather than the other way round.

The French Revolutionaries tried to decimalise the day, but it didn't catch on (although Folkestone has staged a quiet local revival recently <https://www.creativefolkestone.org.uk/artists/ruth-ewan/>).

<reluctantly dismounts from hobby-horse>

5. Down not across

Personally I think the concept of DST is a great one and I wish we went double during June. It's ridiculous how much gorgeous daylight is being wasted between 5am and 7am when it's little use to anyone. Shift it to the evening where we can all enjoy it :) (*)

Who is stopping you from getting up at 5am to enjoy daylight if that is what you want to do?

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Boffin

I suppose this confirms that the Sky EPG uses UTC. Someone must've screwed up the localisation table for the UI. Although why that should be a problem in the UK where TZ information hasn't changed in years is another mystery.

As a long-time Sky subscriber my experience tells me that the technical explanation for this is that Sky software is shite because they won't pay anyone enough to do a decent job.

1. TonyJ

"...As a long-time Sky subscriber my experience tells me that the technical explanation for this is that Sky software is shite because they won't pay anyone enough to do a decent job.."

I used to subscribe to Sky but eventually got bored of them gouging me for ever more money every year and ditched them, despite their "we can half the price for a year" offer. Too little, too late. Freeview + Prime + Netflix covers 99% of what I would otherwise watch anyway.

But to your point - I tend to agree. A few years ago I was using their online chat and it said I was something like "4th in the queue.... 3th in the queue....2th in the queue..." :-)

1. Refugee from Windows

Their boxes run on an embedded Linux. That poor outdated tzdata file is the culprit.

Just have to live with it I suppose.

2. JassMan

@AndueC - not only is their softare shite

The good news is that, according to Sky (and going by our own experience), even if the clock is wrong, recordings should continue working regardless.

That is only good news if if only want to record nothing but Sky. If their advertised program time is an hour different from another channel's program that you want to record - hard cheddar.

1. AndrueC Silver badge

Re: @AndueC - not only is their softare shite

Why do think it would be any different for non-Sky owned channels?

It's a shared EPG (owned and operated by Sky of course) but all channel broadcasters whoever they are are responsible for providing Sky with their EPG data. And don't forget that Sky do not broadcast channels they don't own(*). In fact Sky is essentially just an EPG and an encryption system. It's up to other broadcasters to pay to be listed on their EPG, to make their channels available from an appropriate satellite and the responsibility of those channels to provide correct EPG data.

To put it another way: Sky do not say that BBC One is broadcasting the 10 O'Clock news at 22:00 UTC. The BBC do. All Sky do is take whatever scheduling information the BBC provides and put in on the EPG data stream. Sky will have specified that times be in a certain format and almost certainly said it had to be UTC (anything else would be madness). As long as channels are following that specification all will be fine.

(*)Actually Sky do now offer a service where they do most of the uplinking for channels, it's optional and I don't know how many have bothered with it. Last I heard it's totally platform agnostic. If you have a video or audio stream you want to broadcast from a satellite they uplink it for you. But whether you then choose to have your channel listed on their EPG is up to you. Either way they are no more responsible for the actual content or EPG data than your ISP is responsible for what you do on the internet.

3. ChrisC Silver badge

"my experience tells me that the technical explanation for this is that Sky software is shite because they won't pay anyone enough to do a decent job"

Having recently "upgraded" to Sky Q from Sky+HD, and having spent pretty much every single interaction with the Q box wondering just WTF the designers were smoking when they came up with the UI workflow as I discover yet another bloody stupid bit of its implementation that's at best confusing and at worst user-hostile, plus the regular cursing as the damn box glitches out the HDMI signal at random intervals causing the TV to go black for a second or two no matter which output mode the box is set to (despite the same TV being able to display rock-solid output via HDMI from both the old 1080i HD box and the 4K mediacentre PC, and despite experimenting with swapping HDMI cables and ports), I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion as you re the capabilities of the codemonkeys who are doing the Sky software these days.

Not that the older boxes were examples of oustanding software design, but at least they'd been around long enough to have worked out most of the stupidity and mature into something that mostly made sense and was mostly reliable - random failures to maintain series link settngs were the only real problem I remember having with our box over the past few years. So the way Sky seem happy to have ditched all that hard-earned knowledge of how to create a mostly decent PVR when coming up with the Q design makes me think they've bought fully into the "new design, so start from scratch and don't even think about referencing older projects" philisophy that seems to pervade too many manufacturers these days. Innovation and improvements are a good thing, so long as they're built on the solid foundations laid by the work that'd been done previously. Trying to start completely from scratch leaves you at risk of ending up with a teetering pile of shiny new functionality stacked atop foundations made of cardboard sinking into the marshland you found yourself building on, because in the mad rush to work on all the fun new stuff you didn't spend nearly enough time making sure you knew what you were doing...

Even before I saw yesterday's tech news on the BBC I was feeling sorry for the poor buggers buying into the hype over Sky Glass - at least our exposure to the crap quality code that Sky release these days is limited to the Q box, imagine if your entire TV was infected by it.

4. jmch Silver badge

Clock changes

"Not keen on smart gadgets? You'll just have to resign yourself to six months of the clock being wrong as punishment for not bothering to RTFM, at least as far as the oven is concerned."

I know how to adjust the clock on my motorbike, but it's in an incredibly difficult-to-reach position (for my fingers at least) - I just leave it permanently on summer time. Don't use it much in winter anyway!

Either way I don't have a problem with gadgets occasionally checking in to the internet to sync time. The problem is when they have whole conversations leaking all sorts of 'diagnostic' data. If you need a diagnostic function, keep a rolling 24-48-hour buffer of diagnostic data that the user can choose to send actively if there is a problem

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

"I know how to adjust the clock on my motorbike"

Luxury!

When I was a youngster my motorbike had nothing except a speedo and didn't even have a unique ignition key, just a forked rod with a plastic knob at the top ( MZ 125)

5. TRT Silver badge

Time is an illusion.

Lunch time, doubly so.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Time is an illusion.

Good, mine's a pint. Make it two pints (but not lager, thank you).

1. TRT Silver badge

Drink up, you have five pints to get through. And some peanuts.

Pint

6 pints.

"Keep the change."

"What, from a fiver sir!"

Oh dear, inflation. I can barely even get one pint for a fiver nowadays.

2. Kane
      Pint

"Lunch time, doubly so."

Very deep, you should send that in to the Reader’s Digest. They’ve got a page for people like you.

1. TRT Silver badge

Eh up... I see our phantom thumb downer has visited... You need to stick your thumb OUT mate - that's the way to hitch a ride.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Our down-voter might be a vogon. Mustn't upset them. One visit from a constructor fleet will upset all our hopes of becoming CO2 neutral.

1. TRT Silver badge

The best way to upset a Vogon is to feed their grandmother to the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

Happy

And the best way to get a drink out of him, is to stick your fingers down his throat.

I wish I had a daughter, so I could order her not to marry one.

2. Rob Daglish

Yes, but to look on the positive side, at least it would solve the problems of deforestation, rising sea levels and polar ice cap melting, as there would no longer be a planet there for them to happen to!

6. John Sager

Half my stuff gets left at UTC so the log has a monotonic timebase ( I can live with leap seconds). The clocks that I look at for time of day do get adjusted, manually or automatically. I'm at a loss to understand why the clock on my car (Audi) won't use the time from the RDS signal. The Vauxhall I had decades ago could do that.

7. Primus Secundus Tertius

Clock embuggerance day

1. This was supposed to be a wartime emergency thing, to save fuel. Time to end it. Why should I have to get up early in summer just to please the busybodies?

2. I have several dual-boot computers. It is tiresome when both OSes adjust automatically.

1. gypsythief

Re: Clock embuggerance day

"It is tiresome when both OSes adjust automatically."

Just set them all to run with the system clock as UTC.

For pretty much all Linux's it's generally an option on the "Choose your timezone" page during setup. For the *BSD's I think it's an rc.conf tweak. For Windows it's a quick registry edit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

After that your motherboard clock will remain persistently UTC, and the operating system will display the correct time from that based on the time zone that you tell it you are in.

With this method I have been able to flawlessly (in terms of displayed time, at least) boot between Windows and various *nix's with never a problem with the displayed time over BST changes.

1. waldo kitty
        Boffin

Re: Clock embuggerance day

After that your motherboard clock will remain persistently UTC, and the operating system will display the correct time from that based on the time zone that you tell it you are in.

this is how it should be done, yes... then one simply has to remember that the BIOS clock is UTC if/when they have to change the battery or the BIOS clock loses its time for some reason... aside from that, be sure to select the proper timezone representation and bob's your uncle... most of the time...

8. mark l 2 Silver badge

I have family that lived in Australian state of NSW and for years while they lived there we had to negotiate the DST change from the UK and then Australia as they don't change on the same date.

The recently moved to Queensland and there they do not observe DST. So in Australia you have some states that change their clocks and others that don't so that must be tricky for automatic updating clocks as it will need to know not only the country you are in but also the state,

1. druck Silver badge

Worse than that the NSW/Queensland board goes through the middle of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads, so one side of the town spends 6 months with an hours time difference to the other!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Check the US for real ridiculous DST observance:

California: DST.

Arizona: No DST.

But Navajo Nation: DST

Road trips in that part of the US at this time of year are TRIPPY.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Worse than that ... Navajo Nation (which has DST) is mainly in Arizona (which doesn't) but also has parts in Utah (and New Mexico) with Utah having DST ... then the Hopi have an area in the middle of the Navajo Nation area and they don't have DST (I think when we did a trip through the area our guide book explained this as "they don't have DST mainly because the Navajo do. And road trips probably start in California or Nevada which have DST ... but are in a different timezone!

9. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Compromise

I think that at the next DST change they should change the clocks by half an hour, and leave it like that, forever.

The only excuse that I can see for this not being the most sensible solution is that Greenwich Mean Time is sacred and cannot be made obsolete. Well they can call it GMT+ or GMT30, then everyone will be happy.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Compromise

A surprising number of things can't handle 30minute UTC offsets.

Which is sad, especially for the places that have an X hours and 15 minutes offset...

1. Crypto Monad Silver badge

Re: Compromise

A surprising number of things can't handle 30minute UTC offsets.

Which makes them unusable to nearly a fifth of the world, who live in India.

10. Anonymous IV
    Headmaster

More BST than GMT

Nobody has commented that we get more British Summer Time (April thru' October, seven calendar months) than Greenwich Mean Time (November thru' March, five calendar months). I'm sure there must be a reason for this...

1. Solviva

Re: More BST than GMT

It's down to what's an acceptable time to gain an hour of darkness in spring. By the beginning of April in a fair part of the UK, shifting forward an hour means most people still are getting up in daylight, yet benefit from an extra hour of daylight in the evening.

At the end of the year, I guess they couldn't decide on a good time to make the evenings shorter again, so likely waited till it's dark when you're travelling home after work. so nobody would care if it want dark already an hour before the travelled home and are stuck in work.

2. Old Tom

Re: More BST than GMT

The dates were set to the current ones when the EU harmonised clock switching in Directive 2000/84/EC. Before that, in the 90's, I think I remember Germany switching around the September/October cusp and the UK a week or two later.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eudr/2000/84/pdfs/eudr_20000084_adopted_en.pdf

11. Alistair
    Windows

then there the other version.

Bell Canada cellular fired the DST->EST flip yesterday. 2 weeks early.

Since they're a provisioner of MVNOs, more than a few 'carriers' were showing the wrong time. I think someone already mentioned tzfile updates. Suspecting someone missed a couple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: then there the other version.

I expect that is because something triggered the change on the "internationally accepted" date for the change as opposed to the "US delay the change so its lighter at Halloween to encourage more kids to go to the tirck--or-treat event at the mall" decision (seriously, the US decided to delay its change a few years ago in response to lobbying from retail who wanted to keep evening as light as possible over halloween events to increase footfall)

12. Danny 2

Training cats and dogs

The end and start of British Summer Time does not affect my cats at all but my sisters says it greatly affects their dogs.

Dogs are on a schedule - master wakes up, get a walk and fed. Same time every day so an hour out is noticeable.

Cats have their schedule - they wake up and then wake us up,whenever it suits them.

In two days there are about to be millions of fireworks in the UK sky scaring all animals except the stupidest, destroying air quality for no reasonable reason.

COP 26 was a disaster, they could at least have banned fireworks. And tourist space fllghts, and private jets.

1. Coastal cutie

Re: Training cats and dogs

Clocks going forward have no effect on my cat but now she's middle aged, she objects violently to waiting an extra hour for dinner in the evening when they go back (I keep to a set hour so things aren't disrupted when I do actually have to go into an office).

13. Mishak Silver badge

Sony DAB clock radio

It has a very annoying feature - it only updates the clock when you turn the radio on. Not a problem most of the time, but it can mean you get woken up an hour late when you've set an alarm for an early morning flight on the "wrong" Sunday :-(

Gave it to the kids years ago, so not an issue for me!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Sony DAB clock radio

The Yamaha ISX range is the same.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sky+ ? Really?!?

Did they *really* mean literal Sky+ here, or is the issue actually affecting SkyQ?

IIRC Sky ceased offering Sky+ several years ago, and as a canny negotiator could easily bagsie a free upgrade from Sky+ to SkyQ around contract renewal time (granted, by playing the “ok, cancel my service then” game), surely there can’t be many Sky+ boxes around these days?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sky+ ? Really?!?

There are legitimate reasons to stick with Sky+. I use the RF output to watch in (and control from) the kitchen without needing to subscribe to multiroom, and this isn't available with Sky Q. And I've already got plenty of ways to access streaming services so having that integrated into the Sky Q box is no benefit.

Anyway, the GMT/BST bug is fixed now so the hysteria is over.

15. elawyn

I have an older alarm clock, bought before the U.S. shifted the time changes by a week at either end, so I have to manually change it FOUR times each year!

And don't tell me to go buy a new one, it works fine apart from that.

At least I don't have to go move all those big stones on the Salisbury plains twice a year!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TRT Silver badge

The inner stone circle was actually a patch for the Y1K bug.

16. Paul Herber Silver badge

A job in Salisbury? There are a couple of guys in Russia who could do that!

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

They measure height, not time.

17. Garry Perez

DST, the workers way

DST is shite and really should be abolished, but if its going to stay, then put the clocks forward at Friday 4pm and when they go back, do it on a Monday at 8 am.

Well if DST was supposed to help the farmers back in the day, why not modernise ir for the current workers?

Re: why not modernise ir for the current workers?

Get rid of the concepts of days, months and years. For many people they are now irrelevant apart from religious and taxation purposes.

18. Rob Daglish

Certainly a lot of bookies had Sky+ boxes wired in alongside their dedicated SIS boxes so they could get BBC/Sky Sports/News etc, or at least they did when I was supporting their kit recently. Although it is not hugely likely to affect them, as they are switched via a video control system from their broadcast control room.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon