back to article What a Mesh: Microsoft puts Office in the Loop, adds mixed reality tech to Teams

Microsoft's virtual Ignite event, aimed at IT admins, kicked off today with a focus on Office and Teams, among other cloudy news. Office is getting a new application called Loop, while Teams users get mixed reality meetings based on Microsoft Mesh. Loop is an Office application based on what used to be called Fluid Components …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

12 step process

"you should see how hard it was on the inside to try and change tenants to get in the Q&A sessions so you could actually help people. Absolutely chaotic 12-step process..."

was the first step admitting you have a problem?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: 12 step process

was the first step admitting you have a problem?

It's the 12th one that involves signing up for a 3 year Enterprise Agreement that is the most painful...

2. petef

Teams is popular

I fear you are conflating many people having to use it with it being popular.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Teams is popular

Teams is as popular as syphilis.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but you can get a shot for syphilis and it clears right up. Teams is more like herpes - everything's fine for awhile, then suddenly things start itching and burning.

1. seven of five

Getting shot is a nice alternative to using teams, though.

2. Mine's a Large One

Agreed.

"Despite everything, Teams is popular because it integrates with Microsoft 365 and brings together virtual meetings and video calls, instant messaging and document collaboration."

I suspect it's "popular" only because companies take the approach of "we've already got it in O365" and then force everyone to use it.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a strange pipe-like object under the virtual table"

Housing for the Mechanical Turk?

1. Howard Sway Silver badge

No, I believe it was the bong they were smoking when they decided that Microsoft Office should be turned into a version of The Sims running on 3D headsets.

4. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Great...

as if Teams wasn't already a buggy, slow pile of shit, now it can be a buggy, slow pile of shit in 3D. That's progress...

1. Insert sadsack pun here

Re: Great...

The good news is that I'll be able to send messages to myself, like "who on earth wanted to have a 3D avatar meeting that makes us look like we're in Knightmare?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightmare

5. skepticinmi
    WTF?

Who asked for 3D CRAP?

Just take a look at https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472

That shows what CUSTOMERS and USERS really want. Don't see 3D metaverse in the list.

Custom sounds so you can be alerted to important contacts. YES

Decent search YES

Alerts that don't vanish in 15 seconds...like when your boss pings you while you went down the hall. YES

1000 other more important USABILATY issues on the list. And MS prioritized gimmicks. :-/

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Who asked for 3D CRAP?

Oh christ, the search. Three years I've been using this crap (i.e. forced to use this crap) and it's still as bad as the first day. You need to know there and then that you'll need to refer back to whatever it is and copy it out into something else because you're not going to find it later in Teams, they might as well be more honest and disable the search option to adjust user expectations from the outset.

2. Snapper

I've been watching Microsoft for over 30 years. When was the last time they introduced something genuinely useful that worked properly. You can split that into two questions if you feel so inclined.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: split it into two questions.

I would normally agree with you but I've recently downloaded their latest Power Toys and the new Mouse Finder is brilliant for those of us with large multiple monitors who can't quite see where that damn mouse pointer has got to, despite wiggling the mouse around! Two taps of the left-Ctrl key and the pointer is highlighted in a "spotlight". Of course, this "brilliance" is the exception to the general rule of MS crapness and, as it currently stands, the utility does have one annoying bug (hence it fails the "worked properly" part of the question).

Once you've located your mouse pointer you press the ESC key to dismiss the highlight but the ESC keypress is NOT "consumed" by the utility and is allowed to be passed onto whatever window previously had focus. In my case it was the extremely useful FreeFileSync utility which happened to be copying files for me - the ESC caused FreeFileSync to cancel its current operation!

3. ChrisC Silver badge

"Alerts that don't vanish in 15 seconds"

That would be an improvement over them not appearing at all, or appearing at some random time 10-20 minutes *after* the corresponding meeting has not only started, but in some cases completed... And then, when you realise you haven't had a prompt to say the meeting has started, it'd be kinda nice if the meeting entry in your calendar would reliably indicate whether or not it has actually started.

Still, 3D, woo. Though I guess, in order to maintain some sort of cosmic balance, some part of the MS empire needs to be making use of all things 3D and colourful, given that the Windows UI design team are doing their level best to swing the balance firmly in the other direction...

4. Krassi

add to that list - ability to import contacts from Outlook, or to recognise an existing Outlook contact. I believe you get one shot at importing contacts when you set up Teams, after that, Team doesn't want to know. The sort of integration your basic Android phone can do - look up a contact , chose to email / text / phone-call / message or call using an app - isn't there in the Windows environment.

I've not come across anyone using Teams for more than chat or video-conferencing , and in business settings very often with the video off, using screen share or voice-only. The functionality that was inherited from Skype For Business . The rest is clutter getting in the way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I've not come across anyone using Teams for more than chat or video-conferencing"

Sadly, some of the departments here use it for file-sharing among their users. It is horrendously slow, but that's to be expected as in this usage, Teams is the front-end for an unholy mix of Office apps, Office web apps, Sharepoint, a dash of ExchangeOnline, and Azure, each of which contribute their fair share to keeping things slow and bloated. I still don't know why the Director encouraged people to use Teams instead of shared directories on our File Server - it's normally a horrible experience, and that's when it's working normally. When shit starts breaking, it gets even worse, because there's damn little we can do about it.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

How about the one where you're in a non-group chat with one other person and you share a file, and somehow they don't permission to access it.

Why on earth would you need to bother with file permissions in a two-person chat?

So you have to share the file and then find where it is buried in sharepoint and manually change the permissions so the person you're chatting to has access. Gaaaah.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The top ask for Teams is full multi-tenancy support, so that users could be logged into more than one Teams account.

The Teams roadmap is basically whatever Slack had 5 years ago.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or just being able to have multiple instances of teams open at once.

Or even be able to view 2 documents in teams at the same time.

7. da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709
    Facepalm

Shouldn't Teams WORK before adding 3D crap?

Who asked for 3D avatar bollox? I'd like Teams to be reliable, work with my devices, support an anonymous mode (not be hard-linked into whatever hybrid-joined AzureAD identity currently has credCache tokens) and have much clearer privacy options. At no point did I ask for a 3D meta-whatnot needing a chunky GPU to animate a paperclip or my furrowed brow as I deal with yet another emergency Day 0 security fix across my Windows server estate. That is all.

Re: Shouldn't Teams WORK before adding 3D crap?

But then how would you be distracted from its fundamental design flaws if it wasn't for the superficial design flaws

8. Spanners Silver badge
    Linux

This reminds me of Second Life

I remember "attending" a couple of conferences and meetings on it. My preferred avatar was a 3m tall yellow chicken but I did have a human(ish) looking one as well. As long as this system allows me a decent avatar, I will consider it but some boring suit is going to be working out how to restrict that.

Re: This reminds me of Second Life

I'm happy with the metaverse at work - so long as I'm allowed a Katana and can use it in business meetings

9. naive

It wonders me

Why people do not use google meet, it costs little money and works like a dream in the browser.

Sometimes seems MS is a brain infecting virus that blinds everyone for better alternatives.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Flame

Re: It wonders me

Sometimes seems MS, Apple & Facebook are brain infecting viruses that blind everyone for better alternatives.

FIFY

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: It wonders me

Hence why I call MS a zombie: it should rightfully be dead, yet it shambles along and eats brains.

10. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Green

Obviously the 3D tech will cause higher power consumption for really no benefit - except maybe in Keynesian sense.

But since we are being to consume less, to conserve energy, why there is no opposition to waste like this?

Is Microsoft privileged enough that they can pick and choose part of the green agenda?

Re: Green

It's ok, corporate standard Powerpoint templates now have a dark background

11. FrenchFries!

Man, this is dumb

If this were show and tell, the kid would get beat up.

12. steviebuk Silver badge

Sad times

Ignite isn't what it used to be now that Mark Russinovich as stopped doing his Case of the Unexplained talks. All he talks about now is Azure :o( and then discovering Aaron Margosis left Microsoft last year so he'll no longer be doing talks either :o(

13. smot

Just get the Linux version up to date first

Ok MS, how about spending a day or two bringing the Linux version into line with the Windows/Mac versions?

And work with Wayland for screen sharing?

14. aldolo

oh no, another clippy to warry about

now i feel my 16gb ram pc is going to really die.....

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd settle for being able to navigate between chat tabs under Windblows 10 Pro and have the messages sync up. But no, I have to "pop out chat" to see the current messages.

It used to work.

But then, in true engineering fashion, they "enhanced" it until it *stopped* working.

16. ecofeco Silver badge

So Teams, but worse?

And I thought Teams was a flaming piece of shite.

Yet they found a way to make it worse.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: So Teams, but worse?

Rather impressive, no?

17. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

META = Make Everything Trump Again

18. Piro Silver badge

FFS

What what we want is performance and stability, and basic features like the search box also filtering fields other than just name. In Skype I could immediately see who was online from a department by typing that department name. Can't in Teams. It locks up, it consumes resources like almost nothing else...

I don't need some 3D avatar rubbish, fix the actual product before adding useless crap!!

19. Mr Dogshit
    FAIL

Can't wait.

20. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Improvements?

The technology is improving and organizations find benefit in being able to manage security and identity through Active Directory and Azure AD

I'm not sure the technology has changed much over the last few years, surely you mean the product here? And it requires a considerable leap of faith to consider being forced to put data on Azure to make things more secure. In fact, Microsoft makes it positively impossible to use Teams as a standalone application forcing admins to provide not only AD sync to Azure but also giving MS an account on the inhouse Exchange server just to be able to setup meetings and update the calendar. This is evidence of a very poorly thought out, closely coupled archictecture but Microsoft doesn't care as the plan is obviously to force everyone onto Exchange Online over the next couple of years.

Unfortunately, there is a lack of non-cloudy alternatives for corporate customers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like