back to article VMware's divorce from Dell is complete: Virtualization giant now a separate biz with $64bn valuation

VMware completed its divorce from Dell on Monday – and immediately signaled its intent to go out find more partners and acquire companies. That means Dell Technologies has formally spun off VMware into a separate, independent software business, completing an April transaction to offload its 80.5 per cent ownership in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe Dell can resurrect vWorkspace now it won't be competing internally with VMWare Horizon. It was a great product if you needed a lightweight alternative to Citrix CVAD/Horizon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

VMWare support for the last few years has gone downhill rapidly.

We're looking at Open Source options (XCP-NG) instead.

1. Darkk

Or take a look at ProxMox.

2. yoganmahew

Bizarro world...

"Today’s move will strengthen our mission to be the Switzerland of the cloud industry."

Most expensive cloud ever?

Secretive haven for dictators ill-gotten gains?

You don't have to be cuckoo-clock to use us, but the chocolate helps?

1. SusiW
      Happy

Re: Bizarro world...

Thanks for the smiles!

I truly needed that. XX

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Headmaster

Chocolate watches?

3. pavel.petrman

I think he meant the gunposts masqueraded as field barns and that you need to master four languages to get from one corner of the place the other.

4. NeilPost

Like Crypto AG ? Where the Swiss Govt, NSA and German Intelligence were in collision with back door access ?!

https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/12/crypto_ag_swiss_parliament_report/

3. Tromos
    Joke

Wants to be the 'Switzerland' of cloud

Ah yes, the favourite destination of anyone wanting to go downhill.

4. knarf

Spacing Guild of the Cloud

Just supping off enough to survive and then some.

5. IT Guy

EMC Spin out next?

Hey, maybe Dell can spin out EMC too. LOL

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure about the future of VMWare…

In my experience it’s a good product but seems to have failed to capitalise on its own first mover advantage. At the moment, I see customers who want to migrate to this vendor’s OpenStack or their own KVM based data centres. Then there’s potential new customers who want AWS*. No one seems to explicitly ask us for VMWare though (to be fair) we do still sell it on a small scale (as we always have). I wonder if VMWare is the next Oracle? That would be sad. Not being the future is rarely not bad.

* Thankfully small(ish) scale and not to complex to start with. Baby steps and all that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not sure about the future of VMWare…

> or their own KVM based data centres.

Just so long as they don't want to try and run their KVM under vcloud coz it seems to be about as stable as a pencil standing on it's point in an earthquake zone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like