back to article Linux kernel 5.15 released with new NTFS driver plus an LTS sticker slapped on it

Linus Torvalds released version 5.15 of the Linux kernel yesterday with a new NTFS driver, an SMB3 server, and an advanced memory monitor among the features. This version is considered an LTS release. Part of a heatmap generated by DAMON, new in kernel 5.15 Part of a heatmap generated by DAMON, new in kernel 5.15 Torvalds …

1. Alan J. Wylie
    1. Altrux

Re: 5.15 is an LTS release

Yep - now declared as LTS, though not an 'ultra' LTS like 5.10, so a shorter projected lifespan. I didn't think they were going to squeeze in another release before New Year! Hopefully this kernel will form the foundation of Ubuntu 22.04 and its offshoots.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: 5.15 is an LTS release

Thanks -- we'll update the article.

C.

2. Scotthva5

Slightly confused about samba

I thought that smb was part of the kernel already but obviously I'm wrong. How is it being implemented currently?

1. Alan J. Wylie

Re: Slightly confused about samba

LWN article

1. Scotthva5

<<tips hat

Many thanks

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
        FAIL

Well, that article was scarily informative. It turns out that my gut-feel about a kernel implementation of the basket-of-holes that is SMB is correct - it's full of security risks. I know they've fixed loads, but at this late stage, we should be down to security researchers finding esoteric corner-cases, not ordinary code-reviewers going "er, where's the tests for this case?".

Pray $DEITY there's a kernel option to turn this sucker off!

1. Scotthva5

That was my thought as well. Performance gains at the expense of security is not a trade off I'm willing to make.

2. herman

Eh? If you don’t like SMB, don’t use it. It is just kernel loadable modules same as any other.

3. Richard 12 Silver badge

This is Linux.

If you don't want a kernel module, you don't even need to give it hard disk space, let alone actually load it.

Everything is optional. That's both the joy and the pain.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like