back to article AWS has started upgrading the software behind S3 storage cloud

Amazon Web Services has released a paper detailing the operations of its Simple Storage Service (S3), and in doing so revealed that the software powering the service is "being gradually deployed within our current service". Titled Using Lightweight Formal Methods to Validate a Key-Value Storage Node in Amazon S3 [PDF], the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>The document also reveals that S3 currently holds "hundreds of petabytes of customer data".

I think this is referring specifically to one implementation of ShardStore. My customer alone clock into the hundreds of petabytes in S3, and they're not that unusual.

2. Paul Smith

Reservations?

"...and substantial adoption by the ShardStore engineering team".

Not total. Not even widespread. Just "substantial". I must remember that when my agile coach starts badgering me to adopt the latest fad.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Track record

Maybe it's just me, but when I see a cloud provider announcing a software upgrade, a shudder runs up my spine.

We've had too many own goal that bring down systems.

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Re: Track record

AWS's track record of software upgrades is pretty good!At least from my experience. Now Azure is a whole 'nother story!

Ussually with Azure the 1st time you hear about an "upgrade" is when it breaks something!

4. logicalextreme

Well

it's nice to know that all those unsecured buckets just waiting to become news articles about breaches will be upgraded unsecured buckets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like