back to article Tesla slams into reverse, pulls latest beta of Full Self-Driving software from participating car owners

Tesla has yanked the latest beta, 10.3, of its Full Self-Driving (FSD) software from participating car owners after boss Elon Musk noted the company was "seeing some issues" with the code. Seeing some issues with 10.3, so rolling back to 10.2 temporarily. Please note, this is to be expected with beta software. It is …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Fully self driving

Does not make the vehicle autonomous and requires careful driver supervision

Anyone want to buy my Fully Profitable investment product (does not make money and requires continual input of new capital)

2. Sparkus

This statement needs soem clarification...

"It is impossible to test all hardware configs in all conditions"

How many variations of Teslas cars are there? And how limited are their 'lab' and test track facilities?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Re: This statement needs soem clarification...

> that of the average driver

Can we have a new standard?

Level 1 is better than an octogenarian Volvo driver in a hat.

Level 2 is equal to a teenager in a fiesta

Level 3 is a top gear presenter

Level 4 is the stig

1. werdsmith Silver badge

+ level 0 Brick on accelerator pedal

+level -1 Audi driver.

2. Spamfast
          WTF?

Level 3 is a top gear presenter.

What, an overconfident prat who thinks he's god's gift? We need level 3 to be better than level 2.

2. Oh Matron!

Airbus seem to do a fine job of doing so, so why can't Musk?

If we mandated cars to drive in straight line between cities, with a 5mi separation and 1000ft difference in height, while having a pair of professional drivers and a Road Traffic Controller - driving would be really safe

1. cantankerous swineherd

good plan

2. Kevin Johnston

What's wrong with having a man with a red flag walking in front, it could even have a big T on it to show brand awareness

We could even recruit redundant HGV drivers now that autonomous vehicles have taken their jobs

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"test track facilities"

https://insideevs.com/news/512738/flyover-tesla-fremont-refreshed-track/

which in no way could be used to test FSD correctly.

I think you mean "public roads"

3. Mojave Green

"Tesla Full Self-Driving will work at a safety level well above that of the average driver this year." So the bar is really really low then -- just slightly safer than the beat up, old, windowless white vans I also try to avoid driving near.

1. Spamfast
      Happy

Agree but remember, over 90% of male drivers self-identify as being better than average. Nearly half of them are wrong. Might be you, might be me, might be the guy in the van. Possibly all three.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beta software?

Beta software on a public road? Really???

1. Dwarf

Re: Beta software?

As a learner driver is effectively an Alpha or Beta compared to a qualified driver and they are required to have L plates and optionally P plates, then perhaps any self-driving car should have B plates on if they are running non-tested software so that the rest of the world can recognise that they are likely to do something stupid

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Coat

"rest of the world can recognise that they are likely to do something stupid"

With certain marques/models, it usually denotes just that

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought that was the "T" stood for.

3. Fursty Ferret

To be fair, when I see a Tesla on the motorway I do assume that the driver is browsing the web* while on Autopilot, and that the car might do something stupid at the worst time.

Source: I'm a Tesla owner.

* you can actually do this while driving if you were so inclined.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

BMW drivers already have B plates

(as do Bentleys... for the chauffer's day off and/or the rock star's driving)

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The "B" standing for "Bellend"? I'm pretty sure the Tesla badge already covers that...

2. big_D Silver badge

No way in hell beta software should ever come near a critical system, such as a car.

It was one of the first things I learnt as a programmer.

It seems the world has moved backwards in the intervening 3.5 decades, in terms of code quality and safety.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Boffin

OK, I'll bite. How do you test it?

Note that Tesla already have a huge programme of simulated environments to train the software. But at some point, it has to be tested in the real world, yes?

GJC

1. big_D Silver badge

You put it in a rolling testbed and test it thoroughly under real conditions, using professional drivers to override the system when it goes wrong.

You don't just plonk beta software on the general public, especially when the software is controlling a potentially lethal weapon.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

How many miles do your professional drivers cover before you declare that the software has seen all real-world conditions?

GJC

1. Blank Reg

if it takes decades then so be it. Better than judging the software based on how many weeks since we last killed someone

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> You put it in a rolling testbed and test it thoroughly under real conditions,

What's 'real' about a rolling testbed?

1. big_D Silver badge

Volvo had a fleet of Volvo 240s converted to automated driving in the 70s, likewise Mercedes and Volkswagen had converted existing cars for automated driving in the 70s and 80s. These rolling testbeds were used to refine the self driving or column driving (Mercedes, ISTR - all cars in a queue on the motorway slave off of the car in front).

These are not production cars, but specially adapted testbeds (based on real cars), used to test and refine hardware and software. Alphabet's Waymo (formerly Google) also does the same. What they don't do is let beta software loose on non-professional drivers to test on public roads!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

What they don't do is let beta software loose on non-professional drivers to test on public roads!

Yeah, but it's cheaper. Those test drivers don't cost you money, in fact they pay you to test your product - what's not to like?

To me it's simple - if a specific mode of automation is not legal to use in a jurisdiction then it must not be able to be enabled by the owner/user. This could be enforced by a penalty on the driver (for enabling) and on the manufacturer (for allowing to be enabled). This way the only vehicles on the roads with this software active would be those test-beds that had been authorised by the relevant authorities.

I'm getting pretty pissed off at hearing Tesla drivers bragging about how they've been driving on the motorways with automation active that isn't legal to use. Tesla weasel out of their responsibility by caveating that you need to "maintain control of the vehicle" when we all know that drivers are utilising reduced attention levels when enabling these modes.

Would these drivers be happy if I bragged about being pissed on the same motorway? Mildly tipsy?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so FSD is NOT FSD

Just put the hyping clown musky in an asylum now, for endangering the public.

plenty of evidence, he's fucking insane

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: so FSD is NOT FSD

Leave him doing stuff at SpaceX though. Just gag him on anything Tesla related.

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

this is to be expected with beta software

He explained to the coroner.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

"Please note, this is to be expected with beta software"

Please note : beta software has no business in production products.

8. whitepines
    Devil

from participating car owners lessees

FTFY. It's still Musk's car, he has brilliantly tricked his lessees into taking care of his property and bearing his maintenance costs, while not actually transferring full ownership of that same car in exchange.

1. sabroni Silver badge

RE: he has brilliantly tricked his lessees

He hasn't tricked anyone who isn't already a believer. Don't get me wrong, he's clearly got a grasp on how to milk a mark, but marks want to be milked.

If Musk's trick was brilliant we'd all be believing it.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Not many modern cars left where you are actually the full owner and able to do what you want with your vehicle.

1. whitepines
        Devil

Emissions aside, there are plenty of cars that you actually own, and even with emissions if you follow the law you can in fact repair or upgrade those components as well.

There is a special place in hell for a car that is always online, always talking to the mothership, always recording, requires an EULA to even purchase, and threatens its "owner" if it detects unsanctioned hardware (the Ethernet port flap some time back).

1. imanidiot Silver badge

"There is a special place in hell for a car that is always online, always talking to the mothership, always recording, requires an EULA to even purchase, and threatens its "owner" if it detects unsanctioned hardware (the Ethernet port flap some time back)."

Have you been car shopping lately? Because that describes most new car models nowadays. "always connected" is basically mandated by EU law nowadays! Lots and lots of equipment in modern cars is now in "black boxes" that talk via proprietary protocols over CAN-bus and are serialised where the car won't even start or run if the right codes aren't detected. Aftermarket stuff may be possible, but only if you pay the stealership to program the computer through the manufacturers proprietary (and locked down) computer system.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Plenty of ECUs can be flashed. You might void your warranty (fair enough), but you can do it.

Engine ECU's are nowadays a tiny (and mostly inconsequential) part of what a car does. Most of it's functionality is dictated by a central computer (often the "infotainment" system) that is not directly the ECU. And that includes stuff like controlling light modules (now controlled though a CANbus interface, instead of switching 12V on or off), heater controls (instead of a knob pulling a cable to open or close a valve it's now a 3 levels deep menu on a touchscreen controlling a stepper motor on a valve. Probably again through a CANbus interface to some intermediate module. Airbags? CANbus to intermediate module(s). Seatcontrols? Probably CANbus. Dials/gauges? Electronic screen that will mysteriously die 2 weeks after warranty ends and will be unobtainium in 10 years, controlled through CANbus of course. Serialised too so you can't put in a different one if it breaks. And no, mileage is usually stored on several OTHER modules, not on the instrument/dial cluster itself nowadays so it's not that either.

There's lots and lots and lots of stuff in modern cars that is basically proprietary electronics/programming that means it becomes harder and harder to make/buy aftermarket stuff to repair cars that are broken. You can currently keep a now 15 year old car on the road for a very long time with the spares available to purchase nowadays. Repairing a 10 year old car is very tricky as lots of stuff is no longer available. Cars that are now 5 years old will very likely be completely repairable 10 years from now because of some stupid electronics stuff that is completely unnecessary to the function of the car and completely unobtainable by that time preventing it from working. If you don't believe that, just keep a look out for how many slightly older model VAG cars you see about with the early generations of LED lighting and how often they're failing. But they're monolithic units and extremely expensive to replace so nobody does it. And all this is WORSE with electrical cars because they all use basically entirely and only proprietary equipment in their battery, BMS and driveline. Tesla's are very difficult to fix by design for instance and lots and lots of their functionality can be disabled remotely by Tesla at their whim. There is no way to opt out, no way to prevent that. Tesla owns your car, you're just allowed to use it. And the same will go for many others.

9. Eponymous Bastard
    Trollface

Smokescreen

We might have to wait until the Musk's doobie has been fully pulled to extinguishment . . .

I'll get my gas mask.

10. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

FSD

I keep thinking of Full Scale Deflection.

1. eldakka
      Coat

Re: FSD

Fully Sick Disaster?

2. skeptical i
      Thumb Down

Re: FSD

F'king Scary, Dude.

Says one who bikes on and walks alongside roads used by drivers who are already pretty horrid and don't need "look, Ma, no hands!" FSD to encourage even more faffing about behind the wheel.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news now

FSD BETA 10.3.1 is already been pushed to everyone that got the 10.3 version. fixed. nothing to see here.

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

“the tech was not quite there yet”

Reads like an epitaph on a Tesla owner’s gravestone.

13. JDPower666

Who the hell let's a beta software drive their car?!?!

1. JDPower666

Wow, this got thumbs down?! They're a zealous lot those Tesla fans.

14. T. F. M. Reader

Market reaction

So, just to be clear: what pushed TSLA's market cap over $1tn - the FSB beta or the fact that they pulled it?

1. seven of five

Re: Market reaction

That was probably caused by the 100k Vict^H^H^H^HCustomers Hertz has found for them.

2. Mark 65

Re: Market reaction

These days, probably the amounts of crypto he's playing with. Believers clearly see him as the second coming - of what I'm not quite sure.

15. fpx
    Mushroom

Safety Score

The bit that irks me more is the note about safety scores. "Sent out [...] initially only to those with "perfect" safety scores, according to Musk, before being made available to those with Safety Scores of 99/100."

So your car rates your safety. I guess it won't be long before these scores are collated by data aggregators à la Equifax and sold to whoever is interested. Presumably except to yourself, you know, because of security. Then your car dealer will let you know that, "sorry, with a safety score of only 97 out of 100, you can not have that tuning kit."

Insurances. Car rentals. Ride sharing. Inner cities. All will deny you based on some black-box AI assessing your driving skills. What can go wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Safety Score

I think it already happens with data from phone GPS and force sensors. (All phones have GPS sensors, even most $100-$200 cheap phones have force sensors).

My driving insurance co used to ask me to send them my odometer reading, but that stopped a few years ago. I am assuming they determine that indirectly with cell phones now.

1. fpx
        Devil

Re: Safety Score

No, that probably has other reasons. Your insurance is based on the number of kilometers you drive annually. So you sign up for insurance for, e.g., 10,000 km/a. Then all they need is the initial odometer reading. When you have an accident, they will ask again, and if you've exceeded your limit on average, they will simply deny your insurance claim.

16. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Can Tesla Autopilot see cyclists yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJotAmxFbo#t=4m45s

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

.. or stationary emergency vehicles (a problem they have apparently known about for years)?

17. Annihilator

Stress

"definitely requires careful babysitting"

Don't know about you, but I'd find it incredibly stressful having to monitor a car on a buggy beta "autopilot" as opposed to just driving the damn thing myself.

1. Blank Reg

Re: Stress

watch some of the videos of people driving on autopilot in a city. it's far more work than just driving yourself

18. imanidiot Silver badge

How can I opt-out of this program?

I don't own a Tesla, I just don't want to be exposed to their beta testing program in any way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How can I opt-out of this program?

Don't get in as passenger either then, or rent a car from Hertz..

1. Annihilator

Or go anywhere near a road, either in person, on a bike, or in another car. Examples of deaths of all of those by Tesla. Opting out doesn't seem to be a option.

1. seven of five

So your the next vehicle of choice should be a pre-owned T-72, just in case. A BTR-80 would be more agile, but I am not convinced a Tesla can not immolate you in one using its battery.

I have seriously looked at buying a T-55. Problem is it doesn't even begin to fit in my garage and getting the required paperwork for owning the (de-milled) gun is a serious pain in the neck. Not to mention the cost of transporting or fueling it (diesel usage being measured in gallons per mile instead of the other way around should give you some indication). And since afaik there's no rubber track shoes for T-54/55 track, can't really drive it anywhere either.

2. khjohansen

I wouldn't worry about the Teslas - It seems the AI has a preference for concrete barriers, tractor trailers and -in latest version - police vehicles

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/business/tesla-autopilot-safety.html

- whilst containing the problem by offing the "drivers" !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh, he got the trick of blaming the drivers from Microsoft: everything that goes wrong there is always blamed on the user and the poor schlobs having to manage it. It's never Microsoft's fault that it is the common thread between all mass hacks of late..

19. Neil Spellings

So much negativity here on what's a hugely impressive combination of hardware and software engineering. Truly impressive and solving one of the hardest problems..trying to predict what us unpredictable meatsacks will do when behind the wheel.

The transition from human to computer driven car will be a bumpy road I'm sure, but once we're further down this road, we'll look back and wonder why we didn't do it sooner to reduce the huge number of road deaths each year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That progress has been impressive is still not an argument to make everyone on a public road participate in a beta without their permission.

The Tesla fans may have given that permission, the people they can collide with most assuredly have not.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: solving one of the hardest problems

With all due respects, that problem is not solved. The sooner that myth is laid to rest, the better. Disclosure: I am a pedestrian.

Railways are a subset of surface transportation, and have been around for nearly 200 years in the UK, and there are STILL fatal accidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents_in_the_United_Kingdom

...is not a comprehensive list.

Railways are a lot, lot simpler to control and operate than cars: the carriages can go one way... or the opposite way, plus the people that operate engines are -er- trained. The design of the vehicular safety systems are closely interlocked with the fixed ground-based security systems that route and signal the trains.

Now compare that with road transport.

20. khjohansen
    Terminator

Fully Suicidal Driver

It appears the Tesla has implemented an ethics and/or "social credit" aspect in their AI - that their customers fail to appreciate the outcomes ... >-)

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for the next patch..

.. that will switch on the screenwipers before it ploughs into a pedestrian.

It'll come. Just give it time.

22. martinusher Silver badge

This is industrial software, not some phone app

Most programmers are used to serving up software that recovers from errors by putting up a dialog box with a "There has been an error" message in it and expect a user restart. In real life -- that is, real time -- you can't do that. You can't work around a serious bug, you have to pull the release and start over. This is to be expected.

As a rule the worst bugs -- the ones that cause system failures immediately -- are the easiest to fix. The ones that only cause subtle problems that only seem to turn up with particular phases of the moon or cause tiny, but incremental, position errors are the tricky ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is industrial software, not some phone app

I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Should Tesla pop up a box "There has been an error" after it has rammed a police car, pedestrian or other object it has no business running into as something labelled "auto pilot"?

23. elaar

Who on god's earth trusts a guy that insinuates miners are paedophiles (whilst looking fairly paedo like himself), spends most of his life ramping up cryptocurrency, ignoring Covid regulations and putting his business over the health of his employees, and then produces the most unreliable vehicle money can buy?

The guy is pretty annoying at best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Slight correction

spends most of his life ramping up manipulating cryptocurrency

Fixed it for you. Those who have large hoards of it and the ability to be in the media have effectively control over its value.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FSD - Not with this generation of technology

I have a Tesla.

No way on earth they'll achieve full self driving with this generation of technology. For example, my car often misses temporary speed limits and emergency brakes at odd times.

Until cars can communicate with each other and the infrastructure around them I just can't see it happening.

1. Craig 2

Re: FSD - Not with this generation of technology

The first time my car did an unexpected emergency stop on autopilot would be the last time I used autopilot! Do you keep a spare supply of underwear in your Tesla?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like