back to article Microsoft emits more Win 11 fixes for AMD speed issues and death by PowerShell bug

Microsoft has released a build of Windows 11 that it claims addresses performance problems the new OS imposed on some systems. Redmond's announcement of OS Build 22000.282 lists over 60 "improvements and fixes" on top of a lucky 13 "highlights". One of those highlights is described as fixing "an issue that causes some …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry for the pox, but we promise no new infections!

"Addresses an issue with a hardcoded font in the PowerShell shortcut file that distorts Japanese, Chinese, and Korean language fonts. This update addresses this issue for all newly created users on the machine. Existing users can use the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell\Windows PowerShell.lnk file to open PowerShell to address the issue. Alternatively, existing users can create a shortcut to this file on the desktop and use the shortcut to open PowerShell." suck eggs.

Y'know, there will be some loyal users who will actually say Microsoft fixed the problem. Seattle syndrome I tells ye.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Sorry for the pox, but we promise no new infections!

Don't worry, the'll fix it for the final release. I mean, this is still in beta, isn't it?

1. seven of five

With Micros~1, who'd be able to tell?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I was about to ask if it's in alpha yet?

2. ITMA Silver badge

My experience is that Microsoft are very good at fixing problems (see my post elsewhere about Outlook.com)....

Microsoft T3 Support: "Please be assured we have definitely fixed the problem".

Me: "No. You may have fixed A problem, but (accompanied by voluminous evidence) you have most defintely have NOT fixed THE PROBLEM. Go back and try again, and this time TRY HARDER."

Oh and according to T3 support, SMTP is NOT a mail protocol..... REALLY??

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Its funny as I assume outlook.com is supported by the Office team. Not sure what its like now but all the time Mark Russinovich would do his case of the unexplained talks, he'd poke fun at some point about the Office team. One talk he even found a bug and reported it. Assuming he'd get special treatment now (at that time) being a "Technical Fellow" he found he didn't and his report got stuck to the bottom of the list like other reports for Office fixes.

1. ITMA Silver badge

"Its funny as I assume outlook.com is supported by the Office team"

My experience with the "front line" Outlook.com support was that it was supported by the Marx Brothers....

No, that's an unfair insult to the Marx Brothers... At least they were trying to entertain by attempting to be funny.

Outlook.com front line support were just childish, worse than amateur and insulting, And technically utterly incompetent.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. electricmonk
      Facepalm

Fortunately I have the answers for you

"Am I reading that right?" - No.

All your other questions - see above.

HtH.

3. Chris G

Upgrade?

Windows insists on calling each new incarnation an upgrade, despite most of them in the early part of each release, have been buggy and relied on the users/customers feedback and problems.

So the upgrades have been a move to an OS that is not an improvement on what they have just left.

Vista and 8 never even became good enough to last whatever ms could describe as a full life.

Alternative suggestions to 'upgrade' would be nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Upgrade?

After Windows 7 Microsoft only emits downgrades and pre-Alpha releases.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Philosophical Question:-

Is it possible for one word to be an oxymoron?

If taken in the context of the current subject of conversation, I would guess the answer to be a yes.

Whilst on the subject of oxymorons, how about this...

"cloud trust"

3. ITMA Silver badge

"have been buggy and relied on the users/customers feedback and problems"

I think that is what is now laughably passes as "Microsoft Testing and Quality Assurance".

4. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"Retry" is the kindest pick out of "Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail".

For now I'll "Ignore" Windows 11.

4. Duncan Macdonald
    FAIL

How many years ?

How many years until Windows 11 is as usable as Windows 10 ?

Given the number of problems reported so far, W11 will not be suitable for general use before 2023 (if not later!!).

Can anyone think of a new W11 only feature that is even remotely worth the pain of moving from W10 to W11 ?

Icon for Windows 11 so far ===========>

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: How many years ?

Snap groups and improved touch UI.

GJC

2. Lon24

Surprised? The golden rule for their products is 'wait for version 3'. Treat version 1 as an alpha, 2 as a beta and 3 as the real product. Nobody should be using Win11 except as an evaluation product or it comes pre-installed. I haven't seen any of those in the channel yet. Have you?

1. druck Silver badge
        Flame

With the Windows 10 now 11 rolling upgrade shitstorm, how do you tell what is version 3?

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: how do you tell what is version 3?

It's the one that actually works

- I'm not holding my breath...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yup. All new Dells come with a choice when you first boot. I just rolled out a bunch today. All are now running Windows 11 just fine.

I’ve been testing Windows 11 for a while on commodity “office grade” kit and thus far no massive issues to report. That said the devices aren’t particularly exotic.

Even Sage works which is extraordinary.

3. aerogems Silver badge

Except if everyone did that who would find all the issues that get fixed in V2 and V3?

4. Alumoi Silver badge

So, Windows 13 will be the one?

3. ecofeco Silver badge

All one has to do is look at how long it took Win 10 to be stable.

So never. As with ALL MS products.

Or, alternately, just before they release a new, bollixed version. But in the end, it's the same result.

5. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Pining for the old school

"This issue occurs when you use the PowerShell Move-Item command to move a directory to one of its children. As a result, the volume fills up and the system stops responding," Microsoft explained.

AKA I'm my own grandparent! Here's one case where a path length limit would be handy. It would still be broken, but it wouldn't be grandparents all the way down.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Pining for the old school

So the system does what the user tells it to. PEBCAC.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Pining for the old school

Essentially not, if I tell it to "move" D:\Robert into D:\Robert\Carnegie ... I don't want it to COPY files and fill the disk. Arguably, I haven't given it a legal instruction at all: if Carnegie is a sub folder of Robert, and then I move Robert inside Carnegie ... now where is Carnegie?

The "best" outcome would be that D:\Robert remains, and D:\Robert\Carnegie remains, and the rest of it is in D\Robert\Carnegie\Robert including in D:\Robert\Carnegie\Robert\Carnegie .

But it sounds like D:\Robert\Carnegie\Robert\Carnegie\Robert\Carnegie\Robert\Carnegie is happening?

6. Omnipresent Bronze badge

but will it

let me turn off auto updates? it's not safe to be on the enterwebz until it can do that.

7. arctic_haze

My laptop is supposedly Windows 11 ready

I am praying not to see one day a pop-up saying "Are you ready to upgrade to Windows 11?" with two buttons "Yes" and "OK".

1. ITMA Silver badge

Re: My laptop is supposedly Windows 11 ready

I'm sure Gibson Research are already poised to release "Never11" when needed.

2. Duncan Macdonald

Re: My laptop is supposedly Windows 11 ready

If you want to prevent W11 on your laptop - disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. W11 will not install if Secure Boot is not enabled, W10 does not care.

It is possible that M$ may remove the Secure Boot requirement from W11 sometime in the future but for the moment it is a way of preventing W11 from installing.

8. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    FAIL

Win 10 is now dead

Since the focus is on Win 11, Win10 is now in fix-it-when-we-have-to maintenance mode

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Win10 is now in fix-it-when-we-have-to maintenance mode

All versions of Windows are now in fix-it-when-we-have-to maintenance mode

FTFY

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

L3 cache?

I still don't understand how Windows is influencing the L3 cache at all, or why. I mean, Linux will measure cache sizes (prints it during boot, and I assume uses this info to adjust some internals to fit in cache), and on some architectures where the OS must take care of it it enables the caches on early boot. AFAIK that's it, I don't think there's even a sysctl or entry in /sys to turn caches on or off.

10. PB90210

Windows 10, version 21H2

"choose to download and install Windows 10, version 21H2,"

It said 'preview' version when I looked a couple of days ago

(Win 11 not available for my 'ancient' hardware)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like