back to article Chinese tech minister says he's 'dealt with' 73,000 sites that breached the law

China's Minister of Industry and Information Technology, Xiao Yaqing, has given a rare interview in which he signalled the nation's crackdown on the internet and predatory companies will continue. The interview, reported in state-controlled organ Xinhua, reveals that China's recent crackdowns on inappropriate content and …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Only 4,200 out of 1.83 million ?

That seems like a surprisingly decent score to me. I would have expected tens of thousands of "illegal" apps for almost two million scanned.

I'm pretty sure that a scan of Apple or Android app stores would find loads more.

1. ZeroPete

Re: Only 4,200 out of 1.83 million ?

I think we first need a definition of 'breaching the law' to be able to do that, geographically interpreted.

2. Spanners Silver badge
    Meh

Breached the "law" but

Were they actually doing anything bad?

3. iced.lemonade

Kinda... weird

the country now protecting citizens' users rights while their human rights are gone.

next they will be protecting citizens' privacy while everything they do are logged and analyzed by government's credit systems.

i feel this gonna be downvoted to hell but i wonder... what does 'protect' mean to them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kinda... weird

It's those fake "Turn your neighbor in and get their kidney", apps that are making the government un-happy. It confuses people with the governments official; "Turn your neighbor in and get their organs" app.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kinda... weird

For the CCOP "protect" means control. They want to monitor as much and control every one as much as possible. It is a closed loop that the people at the top of the party want to see for infinity.

4. nijam Silver badge

> crackdowns on inappropriate content and companies with monopolistic tendencies

What a shame it's not "crackdowns on inappropriate content and governments with monopolistic tendencies".

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

'dealt with'

To the cave Egor!

6. Jonjonz

The old use you powerful position to shake down as many as you can in practise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like