back to article NFTs not annoying enough? Now they come with wallet-emptying malware

Whether or not non-fungible tokens are a flash in the pan or forever, malware operators have been keen to weaponise the technology. An investigation was triggered after a number of cryptowallets belonging to customers of the largest NFT exchange OpenSea got mysteriously emptied. Researchers at security shop Check Point found a …

1. Rafael #872397
    Trollface

Have siphoned off $5.3bn in Bitcoin payments

How much is that in Pogbas?

Or, for a livelier discussion, can I buy 5.3 million entry-level iPhone 13s with that amount of money?

1. Ordinary Donkey

Re: Have siphoned off $5.3bn in Bitcoin payments

How much is that in Pogbas?

Roughly forty three and a sixth times his 2016 value. Anyone have more up to date figures?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Have siphoned off $5.3bn in Bitcoin payments

10.6bn Pogbas.

Yours Sincerely

Graeme Souness

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

"Plus rifle-toting robot dogs, but makers insist they're really dumb"

Yep, I'd say the Makers are pretty stupid. I'm glad they agree with that assessment...

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Devil

What took them so NFTing long?

See title... I'm reminded of the saying " A fool and his money are soon parted."

1. Willie T

Re: What took them so NFTing long?

Or, as I have heard it put, "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place."

4. DS999 Silver badge

NFTs are a wallet emptying scam

Adding malware to the mix just makes emptying wallets more efficient. I don't see a problem here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Idiots

NFT "investors" are idiots.

People who accept "free" gifts from unknown sources are idiots.

We need a term for idiocy squared.

1. Captain Badmouth
      Devil

Re: Idiots

A boris?

1. chrisw67
        Facepalm

I am not sure we could agree on a suitable SI unit. It could be a Barnaby in the land down under.

1. Winkypop Silver badge

A Barnaby

Or

A beetroot

Same same

1. Joe W Silver badge
            Pint

Is that a metric[*] beetroot? ;-p

(just wondering)

[*] I totally vote for cgs units, they are more natural, plus the unit for energy sounds funny...

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

"credentials that should have been revoked when they left the biz"

And here we go again : sloppy security practices by doofuses who couldn't care less until it's too late.

Well I am actually starting to hope that such organizations do get stung. If that's what they need to learn to do their job properly, then that's where the training money should go.

It's one thing to get hacked when you have proper opsec and you discover, belatedly, that there was a hole in there somewhere where the miscreant got through. It's entirely a different story if you get hacked because you left all the doors open. In that case, you definitely deserve what you get.

7. JacobZ

Armed robot dogs

Very bad news for self-driving cars

1. D@v3

Re: Armed robot dogs

"manufacturers were at pains to point out that this is not autonomous in any way and a human always controls the trigger"

I'm sure I remember reading the same thing about Drone Strikes....

8. hoola Silver badge

???

So "Investors" in an NFT exchange that is used be people to make virtual money on virtual things get their virtual wallets emptied.

As far as I can see all three parts of it are unregulated so whoopee, don't come bellyaching when you lose everything. One assumes that these investors have some level of technical knowledge as the are using BitCoin and investing in NFTs. They are idiots as well but there really does come a time when it is not possible to protect people from their own stupidity.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: ???

So "Investors" in an NFT exchange that is used b[y] people to make virtual money on virtual things get their virtual wallets emptied.

Yes, three layers of abstraction separate them from reality. Perhaps they will manage to transcend this mortal realm to become virtual beings. We should be so lucky!

9. Willie T

Bring on the Sniper Bots!

I'm all for autonomous sniper robots, if we can have them directed by a bot net that only targets ransomware operators.

(joking... well, mostly)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like