back to article Windows terminates here. Please remember to finish setting it up on arrival

It's a whole new world for bork today as a Washington Metro platform indicator suggests an alternative to the usual train for weary commuters. How about getting a bit more out of Windows? This is a suggestion that everyone wants to see while waiting for a Yellow Line train at Washington Metro's Huntington Station (located, …

1. myithingwontcharge

It's a sign I tell you...

Surely the railway companies have had time to develop their own platform for this sort of thing?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Re: It's a sign I tell you...

They did but it went off the rails somewhere.

1. Paul Johnston
        Joke

Perhaps they should look at using Ruby!

Severe joke alert :-)

2. TwistedPsycho

The trains around here only recently (last 3 or 4 years) upgraded from Windows 95 for their on-board management system.

It's now Windows CE

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That fecking screen....

If I see that fecking screen, or the "Let's finish setting up your device..." screen on any more of my computers again it will enough to push me over the edge into Linux, I tell ye......

There is not a single option on those screens I have need for nor interest in, yet there is no button to tell it that. Just feck off microsoft and stop buggering up MY computer.

3. SteveK

More annoyingly it repeats that screen periodically, after installing W10 version upgrades or some-such, whether you wanted them or not, which is most likely what has happened here,

1. Omidia

Yeah, is there any way to make it stop doing that? It confuses the heck out of My users and it’s just totally unnecessary.

At install i can live with but one in a while? Like seriously!!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

...or maybe it just a "sponsored advert"?

3. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Doesn’t if you have a proper enterprise management structure in place, including an mdm server,’policy support and possibly a windows updates server.

I help manage thousands of windows 10 pcs and have never had that screen come up on a managed machine.

4. Ceyarrecks

Is it just me?

Is it just me who marvels at the stunning incompetence (laziness? malice?!) of those who leave 'Doz OS with EVERYTHING enabled, regardless of if it is needed or not?!?!?!?! i.e. disabling the (default-enabled) WLAN AutoConfig Service even when there are ZERO wireless adapters installed or ever expected to be installed in said system; et al.

1. Omnipresent Bronze badge

Re: Is it just me?

You CAN'T turn it off anymore, even if you can find it, which you can't. That's the issue, so yes, I'd say it's you. The only way to make your computer useful at this point is to turn off the enterwebz all together. disconnect it. Thus, the issue...

1. Ceyarrecks

yeah,... just so it is known, services CAN be disabled: https://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

but as observed over the last few decades, MicroFlaccid is ever incrementally moving the shackles closed around of necks of 'Doz users. "So you want to log into YOUR pc? Please update your Subscription with a valid CC to continue,..." (or no files for Ju!)

1. Lorribot

Good job Apple and Google would never make you do that, or continually update terms and conditions that you just click through to get on with life.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TITSUP mode

Train Information Terminal Spews Useless Propaganda

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

Seriously, guys

When will business understand that a slideshow only needs a competent programmer and an R-Pi ?

For the love of Pete, stop shoveling Borkzillaware into every nook and cranny simply because you don't have a fucking clue.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Seriously, guys

In this case, it's an up to date informational timetable, not a slide show. However, your point still stands.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

A Raspberry Pi is intended as an educational tool for children. It would have to be seriously dumbed down for use by PHBs.

1. SuperGeek

Hehe, so you're calling all the adults and professionals who tinker with Pis, children? Nice, we're all young at heart :)

7. Synkronicity

You don't need to know when the next train is coming, cause it ain't coming. The DC Metro had a train derail right at the central tunnel (Rosslyn) that connects all three Virginia lines (Blue, Yellow, Silver) to DC. You'd be lucky to catch a train once every 30-45min. Which is actually pretty normal. There was a period of time where you would consult a website to see if the Metro was on fire before you commute.

1. wjake

Not Yellow

The Yellow line does not run through Rosslyn.

The rest of your comment stands. They will pay for me to use Metro, and I haven't used it more than twoce in 3 years, it's that bad!

1. Synkronicity

Re: Not Yellow

Whoops, meant Orange. Telecommuting means not having to worry about WMATA anymore, praise be.

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

Address

"Washington Metro's Huntington Station (located, helpfully, on Huntington Avenue in the Huntington Area)"

So it might be possible for Alistair Dabbs to get a package delivered there?

9. the Jim bloke

Could be worse

At least they arent using apple maps..

10. NATTtrash
    Angel

That sounded dodgy...

Cortana has a habit of begging for interaction

11. Kraggy

Seem likely to be just another example of the wonderful "your PC WILL be updated by Windows Update, whether you want to or not" arrogance Microsoft adopted for Windows 9 .. remember, the REAL Windows 10 has only just been released!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like