back to article LinkedIn shutting down in China after mounting government pressure to censor social media content

LinkedIn is shuttering its social networking service in China as it faces mounting pressure to comply with the country’s strict censorship rules, it announced on Thursday. “While we’ve found success in helping Chinese members find jobs and economic opportunity, we have not found that same level of success in the more social …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The new great wall of China surrounds the whole country and keeps the barbarians outside. Inside that everything will be controlled by the party, as that is their supreme mandate.

The goal is a three layered world. Within China the CCP permanently 'guides' the people and economy. In near East Asia is being erected the new "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere", made possible by military might. Beyond that are the barbarians to be both exploited and ignored.

Imperialism, mercantilism, and disdain. The CCP has all of history to study to pick the best approaches to maintain and expand its power. Truly, all it need do is copy those who have successively threatened it through the last 200 years. Britain, Japan, Russia, the West in general. So... imperialism, mercantilism, and disdain.

Understand now what has always been true. Without any force for correction, the CCP will always fight for its self, to extend its self, to guarantee its self. They have always been at war with everyone else.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

They have always been at war with everyone else.

They are at war with their own people by means of communism. It's contagious though, so it's best they get isolated from the rest of the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, I was going to add "and all the people on both sides of the wall are hostages to their aims."

But contagious? Not the ideology, which is not followed even there. But the techniques? The control mechanisms? Success breeds imitation, I fear. I fear that immensely.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

But contagious?

Given the downvotes, I'd say we already have some infections here...

1. Bbuckley

Yep. In the place I work we have 'equity' training and 'psychological safety'. You have to admire Communism though for it's sneakyness. Learn how to spot your local Dolores Umbridge commisar.

2. Danny 14

isolated from the rest of the world? China is buying key business and property in the rest of the world.

Disagree with China? Oh, looks like that power plant wont go ahead. Shame if those properties were suddenly unavailable. Want clean watwr? shame the desalination plants are not at full capacity.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Stop

I love starting a weekend knowing that another corporation has buckled under the demands of a dictatorship.

2. jamesdagger

Oceania was at war with Eurasia: therefore Oceania had always been at war with Eurasia.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big news!

Today I am proud and honoured to say I am withdrawing my thinly disguised smoke blowing social network that I pass off as a professional tool from the Chinese market.

It’s been an amazing journey of learning and I’ve met some fabulous people along the way. However it’s now time for a new chapter and I can’t wait to see why the future brings!

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: Big news!

This post gave me a serious case of déjà vu. But I think last time it was Apple that threw in the towel.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

No LinkedIn in China?

Lucky guys

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge

to sunset

I know English is a language subject to change, like any other, but in this house 'sunset' is *not* a verb.

1. pklausner

Re: to sunset

Not a native speaker here. So it's not true, that "In English, any noun can be verbed"?

1. MiguelC Silver badge
        Headmaster

Stop that! Verbing weirds language!

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Verbing weirds nouns!

1. Insert sadsack pun here

You can't adjective nouns if they sound too verby.

5. sanmigueelbeer
    Coat

Bamboo Curtain, part deux

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we have that here as well

Bloody hate the social media bollocks part of Linkedin.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Can we have that here as well

..Just don't do LinkedIn.

It's easy enough to avoid, just like FB etc.

.. but then again, I prefer meeting people in real life (e.g. was with friends in the pub last night), far better experience talking "face to face" than "chatting" via social media . at least it is for me, YMMV

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Among Chinese 10 years olds there are now 120 boys to 100 girls

Imbalance almost certainly worse if you exclude Muslim Chinese.

The 20 boys who cant get a girl will be easy recruits for ultranationalists. Unfortunately India has similar though not as bad imbalances. Its a twist on the issue in polygamous countries which have far higher levels of violence and war compared to monogamous countries.

Between population and associated property bust it rhymes with Japan a generation back but far worse.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course, if it were Apple, they'd have just bent over and said "Is this far enough, Sir?" :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like