back to article Maker of ATM bombing tutorials blew himself up – Euro cops

A 29-year-old man alleged to have been part of a group that blew up at least 15 cash machines in Germany managed to kill himself and injure an associate last year while filming a video tutorial on how to blow up ATMs, according to European authorities. Europol in a statement this week said the Dutch and German police had …

1. Tom 7

History repeating itself.

It must be a few centuries since someone was genuinely hoisted by their own petard!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: History repeating itself.

Happens all the time. Just ask at your local Emergency Room (A&E, EW, depending on jurisdiction). Making homemade explosives is so easy that any idiot can do it. And frequently, they do.

We won't get into the "sport" of sitting on airbags removed from cars.

As we say around these here parts, "Stupidity SHOULD hurt!".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"As we say around these here parts, "Stupidity SHOULD hurt!"."

Yes, as a mean to cleanse the genes pool.

Same thing as the idiots trying to disassemble railways copper cables, ... only they forgot what 20kV + hundreds Amps can do to the human body.

I don't think anyone mourn them.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Especially the clean up crew

2. PhilipN Silver badge

Pedantry on

… hoisted WITH …

Pedantry off

1. jake Silver badge

It's "hoisted by", see: Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 4.

If you want to be both petulant and archaic, it's "hoise by".

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Okay, I raise you and link the second quarto (bottom of the left-hand page), which is the only early version in which the phrase actually appears. It's clearly "Hoiſt with his owne petar" [sic]. There. Are we happy now?

(Apparently, he also "ſhall goe hard", but the less said about that the better.)

3. Danny 2

@Tom 7

I was once corrected online by a smartarse who explained that the past tense of 'hoist by their own petard' is 'hoist by their own petard', not 'hoisted by their own petard'. I couldn't understand the argument myself, but I was amused to learn petard comes from the Latin pedere, to fart.

I admit I've sometimes been hoist by my own fart.

1. hopkinse
        Coat

I fart in your general direction :-)

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Think of it

As evolution in action?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Think of it

Yes, soon to be the unfortunate recipient of a Darwin award I imagine...

1. Timbo

"soon to be" ??

I thought Darwin awards were given immediately as soon as the deceased found an interesting and perhaps unique way to bring their life to an end.

No need to wait for the annual awards ceremony or for a "best of" video to appear on YT !

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

the deceased found an interesting and perhaps unique way to bring their life to an end.

The award winner doesn't necessarily need to die, he (or she, but those are rare) only has to terminate the possibility to pass his genes to the next generation in an interesting and perhaps unique way. A case in point is this tale about a lobster thief.

NB: By definition a Darwin award winner hasn't procreated yet.

1. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

"By definition a Darwin award winner hasn't procreated yet."

Or manages to take out his/her offspring too. Most commonly by driving dangerously :/

2. ecofeco Silver badge

NB: By definition a Darwin award winner hasn't procreated yet.

Oh god, not this bollocks again. What self appointed authority moved the goal posts?

1. rototype

Reminds me of the story of a couple of good 'ol boys who were on their way back from a fishing trip when the pickup they were driving blew the headlight fuse. Apparently they replaced the fuse with a .22 long cartridge (yes, a live one) and were found in the ditch a couple of miles down the road with the driver now being said Darwin award candidate.

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Only if he didn't already pass his criminal genes to the next generation.

3. _LC_
    Facepalm

Pretty much standard

If you look into the matter you'll find that many of those experimenting with explosives are missing some fingers.

The problem is creating the charge that is strong enough to set off the actual explosive. These are often substances that have the tendencies to blow-up when you look at them cross-eyed. For instance, during the production of lead azide, which is often used, extremely fragile crystals are formed. At the slightest vibration, the whole shebang flies up in your face.

You may want to watch videos about iodoacetate and what happens once it is dry, alternatively. ;-)

1. G R Goslin

Re: Pretty much standard

Ah, iodoacetate! I remember it well. The favoured substance for the toilet seat humorists

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. disgruntled yank

A co-worker of my father's was holding a tube containing picric acid when it exploded. The man and another chemist in front of him suffered a lot of cuts. Their eyes were fine, for the steel company they worked for was strict about matters such as safety glasses. The fellow who was holding the tube did not lose any fingers, but bits of glass kept working their way out for quite some time.

Why was a chemist at a steel company working with picric acid? I don't think I ever heard.

1. _LC_

Pension reduction measure?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Probably experimenting with different acids for etching metallographic samples. E.G. certain types of microscopic grain structure. Alternatively, in the days when wet chemistry was the best means of determining composition it might have reacted to indicate the presence of a certain element.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

In this case it was the element of chance.

3. Manolo
        Mushroom

I recall, from my practicals in analytical chemistry, that picric acid had some use there, but the details elude me now, about thirty years later.

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

If you look into the matter you'll find that many of those experimenting with explosives are missing some fingers.

Years ago I had an old (~1930s) chemistry book. Not only did it tell you in detail how to make explosives(*) but it had little potted biographies of the chemists who did major research on them. To this day I remember the bio for the chap who researched nitrogen trichloride(**) started "In spite of losing three fingers and an eye …"

(*) To the extent that these days it would attract a charge of possessing material likely to be of use to terrorists.

(**) Nitrogen triiodide's roid-rage big brother.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

(**) Nitrogen triiodide's roid-rage big brother.

That got me a ban from school chemistry. Still passed my O-level though. I figured it'd be fun to make some, and leave it to dry along the hallway to the chemistry classroom. I also learned that chemicals with lots of N in them are often just waiting to break their bonds, and be free.

Since then, I've found some fun chemistry YT channels that have been rather educational. And also explained that one of the hazards in chemistry is not forming potentially lethal stuff. I think one of NileRed's videos making something innocuous casually mentioned that an 'oops' could result in producing phosgene.

There's some great stuff on YT, like how fireworks are made. One had a gathering of amateur and semi-pro makers, with a great interview with an ATF agent. Who pointed out they're mostly interested in safety, not spoiling the fun. But I learned about black powder coated rice husks, and that a lot of the chemicals involved in making the effects are quite toxic.

But I have little sympathy for this latest Darwin Award winner. I do wonder if you could make a spoiler ATM which destroyed the bank notes if explosives were used.. But then criminals also cause a lot of damage just yoinking ATMs out of walls with JCBs.

1. Stork Silver badge

I remember stumbling over an article about FOOF - fascinating!

1. Bent Metal
            Mushroom

That FOOF article may be from Derek Lowe - and it's well worth a read. Apologies in advance, as I don't know if I can paste direct links...

https://corante.com/things-i-wont-work-with/things-i-wont-work-with-dioxygen-difluoride/

See also "Sand won't save you this time" about chlorine trifluoride, which ranks up there with FOOF.

1. MJB7

Dereck Lowe on FOOF:

Up to date link for Dereck Lowe on FOOF:

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/things-i-won-t-work-dioxygen-difluoride

also, while I'm at it:

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/sand-won-t-save-you-time

1. ButlerInstitute

Re: Dereck Lowe on FOOF:

A friend who works in the industry (university lecturer - industrial chemist) recommended

Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants, by John D. Clark

1. PerlyKing
                  Mushroom

Re: Ignition!

Seconded! Most of the chemistry went over my head, but it's an entertaining read all the same. It's out there somewhere on the Internet for free, and it's recently been reprinted.

I can't recall the exact wording, but one of the oxidisers that was investigated was "hypergolic with fuels, sand, asbestos and lab assistants"!

1. Stoneshop
                    Mushroom

I can't recall the exact wording, but one of the oxidisers that was investigated was "hypergolic with fuels, sand, asbestos and lab assistants"!

Chlorine trifluoride.

>>It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water —with which it reacts explosively. <<

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

" a stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen itself,"

" it’s bad enough when your reagent ignites wet sand, but the clouds of hot hydrofluoric acid are your special door prize if you’re foolhardy enough to hang around and watch the fireworks."

" the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”

2. Stoneshop
                    Coat

Most of the chemistry went over my head,

Well, that's actually what rocket propulsion is supposed to achieve, at least for non-military uses.

It doesn't always work out that way though.

(yes, the one with that book in it)

2. Stork Silver badge

Yes, that’s the one

2. Sam Therapy

Hoisting ATMs out of walls with JCBs, you say? A lad round here was doing that a couple of years ago. A nearby Jet petrol station was his last victim. He's now banged up.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Today, I expect he'd be stealing petrol/diesel.

3. rototype

A fun one to look at on YT is the way the dutch use 'Carbide' for some celebrations. DON'T have the subwoofer turned on when you watch them though.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I have a book of early photographic chemistry - hydrofluoric acid was a common ingredient.

For its time it was surprisingly safety-conscious, suggesting the use of a clean silk neckerchief over the mouth and nose, and heavy leather gloves.

1. _LC_

Hehehe, which is fine if you are dealing with 0.2 grams or less. ;-)

>Hehehe, which is fine if you are dealing with 0.2 grams or less. ;-)

LD50 is 20mg/Kg

'Nice' thing is that apparently contact hurts like fsck - so at least you know to get treatment.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Years ago I had an old (~1930s) chemistry book. Not only did it tell you in detail how to make explosives

The first act of domestic terrorism was Guy Fawkes; which failed to go off. After this, we have the Clerkenwell explosion in 1867 which blew up a prison wall killing half the people in a tow of terraced houses next to the prison followed up with an entire bombing campaign in the 1880's.

I'd suggest it probably occurred to the people writing the textbooks that people might decide to blow things up with the knowledge in them, and that it would be convenient if the knowledge was incomplete, and required a shopping list that includes unusual combinations of chemicals that can easily be put on a watchlist.

1. jake Silver badge

"The first act of domestic terrorism was Guy Fawkes"

Representation from the Sicarii are on line one ... something about prior art.

2. jake Silver badge

"that it would be convenient if the knowledge was incomplete"

No. The publications were as accurate as they knew how to make them. Their reputation depended on it.

"that can easily be put on a watchlist."

Again, no. That kind of thing is fairly modern. I remember my grandad and uncles purchasing dynamite over the counter at the local hardware store, no ID required or even asked for. Usually they just bought enough to set off their own mix of ANFO, though ... made a better bang for rolling Redwood stumps out of the ground.

3. Danny 2

"The first act of domestic terrorism was Guy Fawkes; which failed to go off."

Even Hamlet, which gives us the phrase, predates Fawkes and terrorism wasn't new.

Interestingly (arguably?) the word terrorism back then meant the opposite of what it means now. It used to solely mean state terror against civilians, not citizens trying to blow up the state.

4. Tom 7

As a teenager I did have a collection of various books on how to make fireworks. Some quite old, and now I cant find them, seriously valuable. You could even work out how to make saltpetre from your own urine if you could a) collect enough of the stuff, b) wait till the crystals grew out of the ground once you'd processed it.Fortunately my dad was a uni prof and we could get hold of that shit without too much difficulty as he liked to play stupid too.

1. _LC_

Gunpowder doesn't even count as explosive. The explosives we're talking about come around 5000-8000 meters per second. They pulverize everything, including fingers.

4. rafff

<quote>Years ago I had an old (~1930s) chemistry book. Not only did it tell you in detail how to make explosives(*) [snip]

(*) To the extent that these days it would attract a charge of possessing material likely to be of use to terrorists.</quote>

I had, maybe still have somewhere, a Schoolboy's Pocket Book that contained all this info. It also contained much other useful/useless info. I also remember at least one children's novel that described how to make explosives.

>these days it would attract a charge of possessing material likely to be of use to terrorists

Only on sovereignty island.

Here on the left pond it would be banned because chemistry contradicts the bible.

However you would be able to buy freedom-dynamite at any Walmart.

4. Mark 85

I remember being told in the military by a guy who worked in ordnance disposal... "If you hear the word "ooops"... it's too late to run".

4. Mike 137 Silver badge

"... terminal fraud attacks"

In this case, I couldn't have put it better.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the 29 year old effectively banged himself up then?

6. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

So... why are they blowing up ATMs? I'm confused. Do they actually end up with any (charred) money from them, or is this just a way to stick it to The Man?

1. emfiliane

Little of column A, little of column B. Enriching themselves isn't *the point*, per se, but grabbing the cash that's left is a tidy bonus to the violent middle finger to the corporations.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Money drawers on ATMs protect the bank notes from the explosion, if the amount of explosives is carefully planned: too little and you just alert the neighbours, too much and the building hosting the ATM end on top of you.

Attacks using gas bottles to fill the ATM and blow it up used to be pretty common in southern Europe, bus they seem to have stopped being in the news for some years now.

Might be related to the anti-theft measures put in place, that detonate bags of indelible ink inside those money drawers if a phisical attack is detected.

1. GrumpenKraut

The counter measure against gas explosions is to fill all greater voids inside the ATM with some material.

2. Clausewitz 4.0
          Devil

I read it somewhere a while ago (dunno where) that powerful solvents can clean the ink from the notes. Chemistry-lads can make some bucks from the process.

Also, you can still put the inked bill into slot machines and they will be accepted.

1. jake Silver badge

Wow!

Who knew that those in charge would have left such huge loopholes! And you read it on TehIntraWebTubes, so it must be true!!!!!1!111one!1111eleven!

2. Aussie Doc
            Mushroom

Depends

I guess it depends what the notes are made from.

Here in Oz we have polymer notes that are quite tough and durable - don't crease, don't tear and are (supposedly) difficult to permanently deface ie can be 'cleaned'.

Genuine money laundering, I suppose.

No idea what sort of 'solvent' would be used to remove the indelible ink or whatever.

Must say, I'm quite surprised to see the somewhat large number of blowing up of ATMs across Europe as some sort of 'norm' over there.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: Depends

I spent 20yrs over there mate, you would be staggered at the level of sophistication, dedication, and organisation of the crime sector.

Australia is bewilderingly open to crime. And ignorant. Eg, myGov urges you every time you log in, to set up login via SMS confirmation. They believe it ADDS security, rather than cracking you wide open for an EU-standard SIM-swap. Truly stratospheric ignorance.

>Australia is bewilderingly open to crime

Nice to see they're remembering their heritage.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Must say, I'm quite surprised to see the somewhat large number of blowing up of ATMs across Europe as some sort of 'norm' over there."

Me too! With all those explosive attacks, using construction machinery to rip them out of walls, and all the jackpotting going on, I am wondering just what the actual costs are compared to, you know, having actual banks with people. I know the cost isn't all directly born by the banks. Insurance companies are paying out. And the people paying the insurance costs are the small shops, supermarkets, network operators, supply companies etc I wonder if anyone has done a totalling of the costs involved and a breakdown of who is paying it? (Yes, in the long run, it's you and I paying for it it fees and charges)

1. Clausewitz 4.0
                Devil

@jake - I believe you cannot understand subtlety

@Aussie Doc - I believe it said fiber in the article, not polymer. But I doubt the chemistry-lad is willing to share his process for free

@W.S.Gosset - SMS 2FA if used together with another authentication actually improve security, despite we all know how easy it is to intercept SMS / SIM swap

@John Brown (no body) - God bless the insurance companies. The value is already in place even if there are no withdraws. Those guys are just making their profit smaller

1. W.S.Gosset

@Clausewitz: no.

2. jake Silver badge

@Clausewitz: Oh?

2. GrumpenKraut

There is no "middle finger to corporations" element. This is all about the money.

1. Snowy Silver badge
          Coat

All about the money

If you wanted to stick it to the man a quick squirt of super glue would effectively gum up the works.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: a quick squirt of super glue would effectively gum up the works.

I can just imagine the look of astonishment when the perp makes a big purchase and hands over a blob of twenties, encased in glue. "It's alright, you can keep the change".

2. Stoneshop

stick it to the man

Well, you have to complete that task before the glue is cured.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
          Terminator

Calling John Connor? That was a pretty slick way of hacking an ATM!

3. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Facepalm

No Middle Finger

As others have already pointed out "Experimenting with explosives", usually causes the lack thereof of the quoted digit(s).

Icon = Seems to have 2 fingers & a thumb.

1. Stoneshop
            Mushroom

Icon = Seems to have 2 fingers & a thumb.

Quoting Derek Lowe: "Hexanitro? Say what? I'd call for all the chemists who've ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio. "

2. Chris G
      Mushroom

These are attacks on the economy, they think that blowing up money has an inflationary effect.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I'd say it would do the opposite. But now I think about it I'm guessing that was some kind of inflammatory joke...

Difference between the KLF and IMF - one was effective

3. T. F. M. Reader

@Hubert Cumberdale: charred banknotes probably were not a concern for these dudes - it looks like they thought that selling spades to the real gold-diggers was a better way to prosper.

7. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coat

Well

we know his eyes were blue

1 blew over here... 1 blew over there.....

I'm outa here

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Well

He certainly loved it to bits...

Where is my jumper, gotta go too.

8. Forget It
    Joke

At.m bomb

anyone?

1. gotes

Re: At.m bomb

Disappointed you didn't use the nuke icon.

9. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Mushroom

The ATM Job

He only meant to blow the bloody door off

10. Gene Cash Silver badge

You can just ORDER ATMs???

I'd think that ANY order of ATMs by someone that wasn't a financial institution would be an unusual order, and would put you instantly on a watch list!

Famous last words of an explosives chemist:

"Hey, look! There's a solid precipitating out!"

1. jake Silver badge

Re: You can just ORDER ATMs???

I can show you several new model ATMs (a year old or less) at a couple of Bay Area scrap yards. When they tear down a building or otherwise do demolition to make way for new structure, they'll often pull the ATM, remove some of the electronics (and leftover cash, if any) & junk the rest. It would seem it is far, far easier to install a brand new unit (if wanted) than it is to adapt the old system to the new building.

Anybody can purchase the "gently used" ATMs by the pound as scrap. No ID required.

1. Binraider Silver badge

With Op Systems increasingly short lived I'm not surprised the number you're seeing in scrap.

BOS had NT4 ATMs for well over a decade. Changed a lot more often since 2005.

OS2 was famously a holdout in ATM usage though even that had now moved along.

Anyone would think there was a demand for a stable, PLC grade os kernel with a GUI on top...

2. Boo Radley

I remember a few years back there were a large variety of used ATM machines available on ebay. Don't know if that's still true tho.

1. Stoneshop
        Headmaster

a large variety of used ATM machines

Next you'll be telling me they're automated ATM machines, and to operate them you enter your personal PIN number.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Every convenience store in greater Atlanta has an ATM owned by one of many private companies.

4. PRR Bronze badge
      Boffin

> You can just ORDER ATMs???

At least in the US, privately owned (or "Independent Sales Organization") ATMs are somewhat common. Some guy (not a big company) looks for small locations the Big Banks won't bother with, drops a machine, charges a high fee. Near here Carols Market has a no-name ATM, $3, but the nearest real bank is 10 miles away so it is hardly worth going to town, especially at quitting time.

Now I learn that ISO ATMs are useful for money laundering. Large deposits of cash are suspicious. Instead put your drug proceeds into an ATM. Innocent users trade bank credit for your ill-gotten currency, never knowing where it came from. Also if the ATM operator can hack, re-play attacks are possible.

Own your own legit ATMs sell for $2k-$4k: https://bpsands.com/

In Oklahoma the important part of the ATM law is the $50 state tax per machine:

https://oklahoma.gov/banking/institutions-lists/atms-privately-owned.html

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Instead put your drug proceeds into an ATM."

Although I've heard of that, I don't think I've ever seen a cash machine that takes cash deposits in the UK. Are they more normal in other countries? Actual physical banks almost always had a "night safe", a chunkey metal one-way hatch/chute thing where deposits could be made, primarily business users who needed to cash-up after the banks closed.

1. agurney

I read it as the dealers run their own cash machines and stuff them with the cash they want laundered.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

TSB ATMs usually do deposits - you generally need to pick the "more options" button to get to the second menu screen.

It'll give you an envelope to put your paper money or cheque in, I think it then prints your account details on the envelope after you put it back in. Your account isn't credited until the next day after it's been counted.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
            Holmes

Here in Alberta, they collect the envelopes, ship them back to Calgary when they might get counted in 2-3 days if lucky.

Made that mistake once with a bank teller assuring me the funds would be counted & credited the next working day, UNTIL I did that & discovered that wasn't the case when on the phone, at least on that instance, I beat the Brinks security to the branch by 5 minutes, so didn't have to wait a further day.

>ship them back to Calgary

That's where they keep the reader , ie the employee who can read

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"TSB ATMs usually do deposits - you generally need to pick the "more options" button to get to the second menu screen."

Ah, thanks, that's interesting. I probably have seen one then, but not noticed. I've never had a need to make a deposit like that. The very, very rare occasions I've received a cheque, I just took it to the bank :-)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I'd think that ANY order of ATMs by someone that wasn't a financial institution would be an unusual order

Don't places like strip clubs have them? Apparently

Just asking for a friend

1. Dagg Silver badge

In aus they have them in pubs and pokie (slot machines) venues

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Don't places like strip clubs have them? Apparently

Covid restrictions mean you now need to use the tattooed QR code to Apple pay him/her

11. a_yank_lurker

Playing with Chemicals that Go Bang

There are many chemicals that can go boom if not respected. Besides the ones mentioned above perchlorates are notoriously unstable and have a bad habit of going boom in the presence of many organic compounds. A small amount goes a long way. One would assume who makes bombs would know how to properly handle unstable chemicals but there are numerous occasions of bombers blowing themselves up while making a bomb.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Playing with Chemicals that Go Bang

Actually there are a handful of specific elements that form compounds that generally go boom in the right conditions, usually those with covalent bonds that are difficult to form [but easy to break], along with plenty of Oxygen that is released in the process, plus fuel like carbon or sulfur. I wouldn't recommend trying any of that, being as I minored in chemistry and understand how dangerous most of them are to make. You often need to do the right thing in the right order at the right temperature (etc.) to avoid an unintended explosion.

Handling explosives (once created) requires expertise if you do not want to lose body parts. Any idiot with the right chemicals can possibly make them and probably blow himself to Mars in the process. It's kinda why home made fireworks aren't legal here.

even low-level stuff (like the 'joke' explosives made with nitrogen and iodine) could potentially do serious damage as it's almost impossible to stabilize when dry [from what I've read].

2. The Basis of everything is...

Cornflower / custard powder can make an fun little chemistry experiment. Or at bigger scale lead to the loss of the silo, factory roof and workers.

Nitram fertiliser in the UK has had a retardant added for a long time to stop certain groups abusing it, and also keep farmers barns intact. What happened in Beirut a couple of years ago is an example of what the pure stuff can achieve.

And yet so many of us walk around with little packets of lithium and oxidiser in our pockets without even thinking about it. Or even sit in a car full of the stuff.

Lithium and oxidiser aren't dangerous or we wouldn't be allowed to take them on aeroplanes - it's not like they're bottles of water !

1. rototype

You try shipping a laptop battery on it's own by air freight - not going to happen.

2. KBeee

Not just cornflour/custard powder. Just plain old flour too. You should see the regulations for wiring a flour mill.

1. jake Silver badge

It is easy to demonstrate the explosive nature of flour. Take a five or six foot[0] length of 4 inch[0] PVC pipe. Drill four 3/4" holes around the circumference of one end, about 2" from that end. Place a votive candle on the ground, and put the pipe over it. Light the candle through one of the holes. Dump a scant 1.5 tablespoons (10g) of sifted[1] flour into the open end. On a calm day, the minor explosion[2] can be fairly loud, and the resulting smoke-ring can rise & expand far more than you might think. All sizes are approximate. I've never actually measured anything when doing this, yet it always works despite my lack of care and attention.

NOTE! While I've never had an issue playing with this toy, nor have I ever heard of anybody getting hurt or doing damage to anything, this may be illegal in your jurisdiction. Most such toys tend to get lawmakers upset, probably because they are always vaguely afraid that somebody, somewhere, is having fun. Needless to say, children LOVE it ... and you can sneak a science lesson in without them noticing :-)

Yes, it works with coffee creamer ... but again, you'll get best results if you sift it. Makes a sticky mess all over everything, so you might want to stick with plain old flour.

[0] Of course you know what feet and inches are. Don't be disingenuous, it's not becoming.

[1] If you don't pre-sift the flour, it might fall as a clump & extinguish the candle.

[2] Depending on pipe size, hole size & number, the grind of flour (cake flour vs AP, for example), the quantity of flour, how well it is dispersed, and other variations, the noise can range from a mild "pop" to a dull "thud" to a deep "bang". Experiment. That's what science is for, right?

12. Daniel Snowden
    Joke

Pay attention, I'm only going to do this once...

1. jake Silver badge

Hold my beer ... No, really, hold my beer, I'm low on fingers.

13. sanmigueelbeer

Do not do this at home -- I am an expert

At least the victim had a blast.

14. six_tymes

one less scum of the earth.

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

Now chaps here’s what NOT to do, OK?

See icon

16. derrr

Was his name Cillit :-)

Bang and the stain is gone.

17. Medixstiff

Meanwhile downunder in Wait Awhile, we had some people three years back yanking out ATM's with an SS Commodore ute and to my knowledge they were never caught...or perhaps they were caught for something else which is why it stopped suddenly.

18. JHD

Bombing, like arson, should always be regarded as premeditated attempt at murder. Both demonstrate utter indifference to the lives of others.

No you're thinking of bankers

2. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

It depends on what your profession is.

You cannot say to a gardener he is not allowed to touch plants.

1. Danny 2

"You cannot say to a gardener he is not allowed to touch plants."

Actually we do say that for certain plants. I could list dozens of them but this thread is deadly enough. There was a ricin poisoning in the UK about a decade ago and the media were full of stories linking castor seeds to terrorism. Thousands of British gardeners used castor seeds to kill slugs and other pests and so quietly disposed of their stash overnight.

1. Clausewitz 4.0
          Devil

I must say that the use of ricin to kill slugs and other pests is quite an evolution from the previous used methods I am aware of. Gardeners must be very careful manipulating such dangerous substances.

19. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Explosives? Really?

I guess nobody has shown them the video of how to make off with an ATM using a JCB (backhoe).

Re: Explosives? Really?

Can't get JCB drivers anymore since we told all the foreigners to p**** off.

And you can't get a visa for a Dutch ATM exploder.

And no British criminals want to do it, not with IR35 meaning you can't claim for the shotgun.

By Christmas we will all be living in Sherwood Forest robbing any Tory MPs with Norman names using bows and arrows.

2. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

Re: Explosives? Really?

Torches are more common and cost-friendly.

20. Teejay

Reality vs spin

As a European, I am still waiting for those badly needed doctors and nurses they had promised.

Re: Reality vs spin

>As a European, I am still waiting for those badly needed doctors and nurses they had promised.

Instructions unclear - have all retrained as a ballet dancer.

21. hayzoos

Not an ATM but similar

I live in an area where there were a lot of coal mines and therefore coal miners. This was a time before ATMs. A few of the coal miners hatched a plan to blast a bank's night deposit box to obtain the booty. At least one of the miners knew how to figure out how much explosive was needed for a given blast. So they swiped some explosive from work and executed the plan. They chose a small branch office. They took out the entire corner of the building and there was no booty, but charred deposits flying in the air. The bricks, glass, metal, etc. flew more distinctive ballistic paths and fell to the ground rather quickly.

The incident was responded to by the local police and firefighters. Being this occurred in the US, later the FBI and Secret Service also arrived. It was determined that the miner figuring the explosive charge was adept at blasting rock underground. But, an above ground freestanding building does not present as much buffering mass to contain a blast. Nobody was injured.

1. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

Re: Not an ATM but similar

From what I read in an article, this is a common lack of planning done by newcomers.

You need to wait until the machines/branches are replenished ($$) to execute the job - usually before federal/city paydays.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like