back to article Shatner breaks the age barrier, goes where no nonagenarian has gone before with Blue Origin rocket trip

Four travelers successfully flew to the edge of space and back on Blue Origin’s second commercial spaceflight including William Shatner, making the 90-year-old Star Trek actor the oldest person to leave Earth yet. The nonagenarian was joined by Audrey Powers, VP of Blue Origin’s New Shepard flight operations, Dr Chris …

1. Howard Sway Silver badge
    1. jake Silver badge

Re: Take me on a trip upon your magic swirling ship

I'm pretty sure that he just took a ride in a silver machine ...

Lemmy, I owe you all the beer if we ever meet on the other side ...

1. Rich 11

Re: Take me on a trip upon your magic swirling ship

When you die you'll have to arrange to be buried with a crate of Jack Daniels!

2. Doctor Tarr

NCC-1701

Awesome. Quite surreal though. Now I need to know who he snogged and who he fought.

1. Robert Moore
      Coat

Re: NCC-1701

> Awesome. Quite surreal though. Now I need to know who he snogged and who he fought.

The Gorn for both.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Trollface

don't forget the leitmotif music...

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Coat

Bezos. Bezos for both.

2. Mark 85

Quite possible that Bezos snogged him to get him as a passenger just for the publicity.

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

Only "quite possible"?

3. Magani
    Linux

Next time, an orbit?

Live long and prosper, Captain Kirk.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

I was going to be mean and small-minded

and say "out of all the cast why him?"

But what I really want to say is that I want Nimoy, Kelly, Doohan, to still be with us, and able to take a flight as well. Leonard Nimoy especially had a way with words, and I would have loved to hear what he would have thought.

People (in the US) say they remember where they were when they heard Kennedy was shot. I remember being in the restaurant for lunch when I saw that Nimoy had passed.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: I was going to be mean and small-minded

if Walter (Koenig) or George (Takei) get a shot, they'll have to drive

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh, my.

2. NetBlackOps

My first thoughts as well. Tipping a brew in Leonard's direction.

3. MrBanana
      Coat

Don't forget that Sheldon has Nimoy's DNA on the napkin that Penny gave him. We could grow another one when the technology is available.

4. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

I was a bike messenger when one of the other bikers I worked with let me know. Cold day. Thankful to be born in his time. And yeah... what would Mr.Nimoy speak of looking upon our planet...

5. jake Silver badge

A 10 minutes 17 second ride ...

... in a billionaire's version of a little kiddie's bounce house.

This is news?

1. NetBlackOps

Re: A 10 minutes 17 second ride ...

A bit more energetic launch and you have normies in space. Bob Heinlein wrote that country fair space barnstorming story ages ago. I grew up on those stories. Nice to see the Grand Master hasn't lost his touch in telling human Sci-Fi stories.

2. awavey

Unfortunately the Bezos pr machine is more focused on out SpaceXing SpaceX, than explaining the benefits of this kind of stuff, so that even the royals trying to out environment cred each other can take pot shots at it.

Reusable rocket technology, and every successful launch & landing improves its reliability & capabilities, will lead to a massive reduction in the costs to access space, cheaper access to space unlocks science & technology knowledge & opportunities for making the Earth a better place,and solve some of the insolvable problems we face.

These New Shepherd launches are a step on the way to discovery,and bigger things, just like the first forays in aviation history, the Wright brothers or Montgolfiers experiments in flight have led to a global industry of flight that literally saves thousands of peoples lives daily, through better quicker access to emergency healthcare ,medicines,transportation of food and water, fire suppression.

Shatner in his own words has described the fragility of this planet and its environment that is only something you experience in space, you can call it a joyride on a bouncy castle if you like but this IS inspiring a generation to take up STEM topics and make the world a better place.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

"the fragility of this planet and its environment that is only something you experience in space,"

Absolutely. If you get up there and remember what little there is protecting you when you're down on the ground, then you might be minded to look after it a bit better.

1. ICL1900-G3

Good luck with that! Most people would rather have a new Range Rover and let the planet take care of itself, unfortunately.

2. Cederic Silver badge

Or you might realise that the planet has a limited lifespan so if you want the human race to survive, we need to expand beyond it.

Which is why I disagree with Prince William.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you HAVE to spread your misery on EVERY NEWS ITEM?

Enjoy your downvotes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TJ Hooker actor just about makes it to space. Doesn't get into orbit. News at 11.

7. BenDwire Silver badge
    IT Angle

Red shirt

I notice that he wasn't brave enough to wear a red shirt !

1. Dave559 Silver badge

Re: Red shirt

It would have been a nice nod if they would have given him a gold coloured jumpsuit, though!

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

A 90 year old in space you say

Right now you just know that Elon is trawling nursing homes for potential record breakers.

Nonna, how do you feel about a day out?

I’ll get your coat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A 90 year old in space you say

He just needs to offer to take Mr Shatner again. He will then have the record for the oldest person in space by however many days between the missions.

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Joke

And all the way into orbit rather than just sub-orbital. Of course, then Bezos will have to one up Musk by flying Shatner round the moon, and so on.

Poor Shatner! He just wanted a quiet retirement, and now he's going to be used as a way of keeping score between billionaires in a new Space Race.

1. Rich 11

He'll have to retire to the Neutral Zone.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, since SpaceX are already planning to send a Japanese artist round the moon in the not too distant future, they can stick Bill on that flight.

9. Rick Deckard

Shatter has lived long and Bezos has prospered !

10. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

They could have given him a yellow shirt

But I suppose he should be grateful they didn't give him a red one...

11. Admiral Grace Hopper

Well, that's Captain Kirk ticked off.

Now for Captain Kremmen.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: Well, that's Captain Kirk ticked off.

"Why Carla, what an amazing dress! It's kind of a backless...frontless... topless... bottomless sort of arrangement. What do you call it?"

"It's a belt, Captain."

2. macjules
      Happy

Re: Well, that's Captain Kirk ticked off.

Kremmen: Carla! Is that Hortense?

Carla: I dunno, she looks pretty relaxed to me Captain...

12. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Alien

One question

What did he see on the wing of the spacecraft?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: One question

Port or starboard?

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: One question

Port. There's Klingons off the starboard bow.

13. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

To boldly go...

...into spaaaaaaace

14. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Yes but did he leave a Captain's Log on the launchpad?

15. BART BARFSALOT

Shitner Wore Depends

Shatner was particularly moved by his Amazon Warehouse and Delivery experience.

“Everybody in the world needs to do this. Everybody in the world needs to see this," he told Bezos the Bald Chimp, choking up.

"People monitored by tracking-and-timing devices, given no rest, and compelled to pee into soda bottles and to defecate on the side of the road."

“It was unbelievable.”

"Fk those dirty, lazy underachievers. You have restored my faith in ruthless greed, overt narcissism, and the upper class."

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: Shitner Wore Depends

Neo-feudalism FTW!

16. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Long March

Trying to make this brief:

There's a great episode of The Universe, maybe 808, the title might be 'How Big, How Far, How Fast'. This super pleasant astrophysics guy constructs The Universe on a scale of 1ft:1million miles.

The Sun becomes an 8 inch bowling ball. The largest star around something like Alpha Centauri (sp?) is a weather balloon with maybe a 40ft diameter. The Earth is a tiny blue bead between his thumb and forefinger. Terrifying. Suddenly my field of f@#*s lay barren. If I wake up alive it's a good day, full stop.

Shat'll never watch that TV show. Had to drag his ass to space before he knew that fear, but now he does. Plus, his soapbox is bigger, so maybe he'll get that across more than me trying to relate a TV show from eight years ago to you. We gotta get the word out and stop screwing around.

So happy to have him back on terra-firma.

17. Zebo-the-Fat

So... Blue origin can re create what NASA was doing in the 1960's

Up... down... not even an orbit!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Not quite. NASA threw away the multi-million dollar launch vehicle each time and didn't bother reusing the flight vehicle either. On the other hand, the electronics and computing powers probably wasn't up to a 1st stage landing with level of likely success, not to mention reliably re-lighting the engines. BO is going slowly compared to SpaceX and both are building on the shoulders of the giants who proceeded them (as NASA themselves did), and they are both doping it better and cheaper. I do hope BO catch up to SpaceX since it's clear the other incumbents don't seem to have a clue how to do re-usability.

Even ESA are looking at a re-usable demonstrator flight by 2023, although they only signed the development contract (a continuation of something already happing, possibly only in theory at that stage) last December. That'll be a while away, but their roadmap shows a first flight in 2023 and full "flight envelope" test flight in 2025. Sounds a bit optimistic to me. There's a list of all known reusable rocket programmes on wikipedia.

18. PerlyKing
    Happy

Superlative?

I may need to have my ears checked, but I'm sure that when this was mentioned on Radio 4 this morning the newsreader referred to Mr Shatner as "the largest astronaut"!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Superlative?

Possibly the same announcer that referred to Mr Cunt, the Hulture Secretary?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like