back to article Macintosh Classic II and triceratops skull on auction: One's a dinosaur, the other has three horns on its face

Is the NFT craze dead yet? Right, good, then we can return to a cool auction world where the well-heeled can get their mitts on rather more tangible relics from tech history. Except Christie's "Science and Natural History" auction isn't just looking at tech history, it's looking at all of history. Literally all of it. We're …

1. katrinab Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

The portable copying machine looks interesting

2. mtp

Got excited for a moment - I am sure that I still have my Mac Classic II somewhere. Sadly not signed

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Do you have to say who signed it ?

Or can you just list a "signed Mac Classic" ?

2. Marty McFly Silver badge
      Holmes

Are you sure it is not signed?

Pull the case off. The early Macs had the signatures of the engineers - including the exalted one's - embossed on the inside of the case.

1. W.S.Gosset
  3. GlenP Silver badge

I'd quite like the Enigma rotors, and the copying machine would be an interesting curio.

Unless Camelot or Euromillions pay out a lot of money I shan't be bidding on either though.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Some interesting geological stuff there, but way more expensive than I'd pay. But photos? Why? Most are already published and freely available... if (e.g.) Buzz Aldrin's visor were offered there rather than the photo, I may be interested. Nice fossils, though.

Also: THE TOE OF AN ANKYLOSAURUS. Nah. I want at least the ankle of an ankylosaurus, or the toe of a toeasaurus. The toe of an ankylosaurus is just wrong.

---> check the pockets for any forgotten fossils.

1. Ol'Peculier

Many many years ago I worked on a project that needed a good high resolution image of the earth. So, bizarrely, we wrote to NASA and they sent back a load of slides and prints that we could use, FOC: including the untethered spacewalk shot.

The taxpayers owning the products of the government?

The very essence of communism !

5. ShadowSystems

I know that dino...

It's the first customer that died while waiting on hold for tech support.

*Cough*

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the recording blathering on about my being an important caller that will be answered in the order in which it was received...

6. malcontent

I've got two of these in the loft (one signed, one unsigned). where did I put the discs? what I don'y have is that tool for dismantling them to figure out which one is signed!

Apple, making user repairs difficult since the Jurassic

(Yes I know the triceratops is Cretaceous - but Jurassic is easier to spell)

2. Bogbody

The tool was called a "Mac Cracker" - its basicaly a long torx drive with a 150/200mm shaft.

Something like a T9/T10 or maybe even a T15.

The last one I fixed (psu gone bang - 110V version pluged into 220V - whoops), well it was in the early 90's and bought over to the uk by a left-pondian. Changed the link over to 220V as well.

7. Anal Leakage

Aincent?

Not as ancient as the ‘speccy’s you all keep fapping to.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone will have to pass...

Probably the one who just spent 500,000 euro for a Canon EF 1200/5.6 at an auction a few days ago... or maybe he or she has more to spare....

Anyway that lens is still more useful than an old Mac.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Someone will have to pass...

I used one of those Macs in the early 1990's in an attempt to do what we called "Desktop Publishing" at the time, but they were awful and if we needed to do anything really useful we used film and cut masks from rubylith, like the gods intended.

We did assume they were the future though. What we didn't count on was every kid coming out of school deciding they were going to be a "designer".

Pretty quickly the wages on offer crashed and we all found other work.

9. Howard Sway Silver badge

just a fugly beige box with beige keyboard and mouse

The only question really is which dreadful ad agency full of massively overpaid Apple-addled hipsters this thing is going to end up being displayed at, like some sort of holy relic.

10. Mike 16

What would the skull go for

if it was signed by its Creator?

Re: What would the skull go for

The whole business with the fossilized dinosaur skeletons was a joke the paleontologists haven't seen yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like