back to article Memory price 'correction' is coming, world's fourth-largest DRAM-maker warns

The world's fourth-largest memory maker, Taiwan's Nanya Technology Corporation, has predicted a price "correction" in late 2021. Speaking at the announcement of the company's Q3 results last Friday, Nanya president Dr. Pei-Ing Lee said sales of consumer electronics, servers, and smartphone sectors remain sparky. But demand is …

1. six_tymes

it's always corrupt market manipulation AND price fixing. the two go hand in hand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, the DRAMurai line hasn't appeared in a while

The El Reg has covered the decades long history price fixing of the DRAM cartels. We are about due for another lawsuit, which do the nearly toothless nature of enforcement will start after three years and take four more to wind through the courts.

I expect the slap on the wrist to arrive sometime just after the new fabs are entering volume production. Hopefully this will also address the coordinated squeeze in supply for the broader semiconductor industry at the same time, as prices have been held high as the initial supply crunch eased, and record revenue is being booked.

After the Thailand flood the prices on storage held high for a couple years past the end of the production problems, especially on low volume purchases of enterprise drives.

Fortunately, our on-site computing needs have grown on a slower, and fairly linear scale, so we can keep using cheap and nearly obsolete crap to run our operations and run out the clock on the supply chain shortages. But our HP and Dell sales people keep calling 11 times a week laboring under the delusion that we are going to buy 8 new 2u servers at 11-15k a pop. And those don't come with anything that is adding real value to me, like all NVME storage or real GPUs. All that still costs extra. And right now all they can offer me is to pay more for the Intel tax on servers with the same grade NICs, same generation SAS and slow ass RAID cards, and space for 10x the RAM I will ever need.

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

If only SE Asia hadn't left the EU.

1. codejunky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

@Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells

Your killing me! Sides hurt from laughing

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

codejunky> "Your(sic) killing me!"

@Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells: Up-voted you for good work and contribution to humanity.

3. da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709
    Coffee/keyboard

Just me, or ...

... did anyone else not understand whether the price was going UP or DOWN until the last paragraph? Sheesh.

1. RichardBarrell

Re: Just me, or ...

I still have no idea.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Angel

Re: Just me, or ...

Neither does anyone else - but who is going to admit it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

potential to make next year's smartphone models a little cheaper

as in 'not going up in price so much as they could have' ;)

1. emv

Re: potential to make next year's smartphone models a little cheaper

If DRAM gets cheaper... then phone manufacturers will pass on the savings to us. .....

I can see it now:

Tim Cook: "I don't want to increase our profitability. Lets pass on the savings to our victims/minions/moneysource"

5. Snowy Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Shortage here shortage there

Oddly no shortage of materials to make DRAMs.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"The news is less good for investors"

And I should care exactly why?

Investors had a good run up and now they'll have a bit of a run down - that's the stock market for you. Live with it or don't invest'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like