back to article Fancy some Surface kit but wary of new Windows? Microsoft lets commercial customers pick 10 or 11

There is some good news for enterprises keen on Surface devices, but wary of Windows 11. Microsoft confirmed last night that commercial customers could still select Windows 10 if they wished. Under the heading "Help your employees work the way they want," the company offered the option of Windows 10 20H2 or Windows 11 21H2 at …

1. DavidYorkshire Silver badge

Or you could just clean install it when it arrives? I always do that with everything anyway - gets rid of any unnecessary crap!

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

If they make them in China, then first you have to audit the hardware and then indeed install own operating system.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unnecessary apps/adverts for apps aka. 'crapware' comes as standard on the start menu in Windows 11, and typical of the usual Microsoft methods, in terms of abusive relationships, you can't remove it.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

So commercial customers can choose

but the domestic punter can't?

Why not?

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Flame

"Help your employees work the way they want,

Sorry Microsoft - who signed off on the keyboard layout? I suppose it's someone who rarely uses a laptop, or is predominantly a tablet user.

I have a very good specification Surface laptop provided by work - if I'm not at a location where I can plug an external keyboard, then, using applications that require frequent use of function keys F8-F12 and [Home], [End], [PgUp] or [PgDn] requires toggling of thje [Fn] key. It just gets in the way.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: "Help your employees work the way they want,

On MX Linux, Fn+Esc reverses the meaning of the Fn key. On another Linux distro I used (I don't remember which one) there was a software setting for that.

On older Surface laptops, Fn+CapsLock will lock the Fn key, but I don't have a Surface to test it.

You don't say which Surface you have -- I understand Microsoft changed the behavior on later models. :(

2. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Re: "Help your employees work the way they want,

There is/was a way to change that. I did it on my older model surface 2. Not sure if it is still available.

4. Omnipresent Bronze badge

change is scary

The internet of things is TERRIFYING.

5. ITS Retired
    Facepalm

It is becoming more apparent that Microsoft itself doesn't really know where it wants to go.

Let alone what its customers want. Apparently, after a while, lock-in produces paralysis and confusion, without a clear path forward.

Listen to its customer base? Why, do they think your computers are really theiirs?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Otherwise they'd probably all demand MacBooks"

Speak for yourself. I got a pretty naff Lenovo for $180 at Best Buy, and while it struggles to run Windows 10, it's pretty snappy with Debian.

Unfortunately I ran it to run the crap firmware downloader and diags s/w for my motorcycle which not only requires Windows, but it refuses to run in a VM of any sort. Copy & IP protection, don'cha know. Anon because I'm not supposed to have it, as a mere plebian owner. However, there's an online dealer that'll sell you anything as long as you can supply a part number and it doesn't set off a Geiger counter.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: "Otherwise they'd probably all demand MacBooks"

But this is what I've talked about, time and time and time and time again. Linux isn't important on the desktop after decades of trying, contrary to the opinion held almost exclusively on internet forums such as this one, because of some Microsoft or Intel "cartel". People use Windows because the apps they want to USE runs on Windows, and fooling around with WINE or a VM just in order to say "I run Linux!" is a complete waste of energy.

So, we run Windows. The FOSS-centric need to STOP obsessing with what OS is "better" and START realizing that APPS are king, the OS is only the supporting roll.

1. tapanit

Apps are no longer the king on the desktop: most people only use a browser anyway. Some diehards want a word processor that works offline, but for them LibreOffice is as good as "it's just like another version of Word".

I suspect people like that are already the majority, and they only use Windows because it comes bundled with new PCs. If their nerdy niece sets them up with Ubuntu, they're perfectly happy with it.

On the other hand, for them Windows, whatever version, is good enough, too. The only potentially relevant advantage of Linux would be better support for old hardware. That's not a big issue with Win10, but Win11 is another story. Somehow I suspect Win10 support will not end in 2025.

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Yes it will because the whole point of the "specific hardware" is not "because security" but to push a hardware refresh on the masses! Doing this in the middle of a supply chain crisis was just stupid.

The "Get the new Dell laptop with Windows 11" are already out!

Windows 10 did not cause people to go out and buy all new laptops. This one will!

7. shaunhw

I don't recommend that folk waste their money on a surface device. My £1400 i7 surface pro 4 (complete with flickergate after about 2 hours use) and no official support for Windows 11, is little more than a door stop now. I'm using a Galaxy S7 for tablet tasks these days... That surface was the my biggest waste of money ever.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember that only Spinal Tap wants it to go to 11.... :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like