back to article Outgoing UK Information Commissioner issues warning about the independence of her office

The UK’s outgoing Information Commissioner has issued a strongly worded statement warning of the future independence of the office in the face of government plans to reform data protection law. Elizabeth Denham, Information Commissioner since 2016, said there were reasons to be concerned about proposed changes to data …

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Poodle or Rottweiller

The incoming Kiwi can either be a government poodle or an independent Rottweiler. I think I know which way it will be - let's hope I'm wrong

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Poodle or Rottweiller

Would that be a whimper or a growl? Could also be the tail wagging the dog. At that point, I will paws for thought.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Poodle or Rottweiller

@A/C

"Could also be the tail wagging the dog. At that point, I will paws for thought."

Paws for thought. Hmmm, I think I have just glimpsed your reason for being anonymous...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Logic failure

"a Brexit dividend for individuals and businesses across the UK"

In this particular respect I think that's OR rather then AND.

In general neither is the more likely outcome.

1. RobLang

Re: Logic failure

I'd go further to say it's XOR.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Logic failure

Yup. Spotted that too late.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chocolate Fireguard

gets new soft creamy brown filling?

4. Al fazed
    Megaphone

"empower the Information Commissioner to champion sectors and businesses that are using personal data in new, innovative and responsible ways to benefit people’s lives in areas such as healthcare - building on the use of data in tackling Covid-19 - and financial services,"

Isn't this the same as allowing all our NHS and Social Security data, etc free for commercial development by the highest paying, tax evading Inernational corporate monsters ?

Data Prote................

Tory twaddle becomes the new UK reality TV show..............

ARSES

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Britain would set a "gold standard" in data regulation, "but do so in a way that is as light touch as possible."'

<sigh>

Why do they still think 'light touch' works when time and time again the real world dishes up proof that 'self regulation', 'marking your own homework' and the like doesn't work... Grenfell, Post Office 'Horizon', Northern Rock.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like