back to article Things that are not PogChamp: Amazon's Twitch has its source code, streamer payout data leaked

Links to torrents that contain 128GB of data seemingly pulled from the Amazon-owned Twitch streaming service have been posted to 4chan. Without a trace of irony, the anonymous poster described Twitch as "a disgusting toxic cesspool," and linked to the data, which they alleged contains the source code for the Twitch site, …

1. John Riddoch

Waiting...

I await the inevitable statement with the line "Security is our number one priority" which will be a lie. No-one who gets hacked for 128GB of data takes security as their number one priority, no-one does. Their priority is always profit. Security, customer service etc are all secondary requirements to be trusted enough for people to give you their money.

1. Pascal

Re: Waiting...

"Security is *a* priority, insofar as leaking all your data could impact our bottom line. But we also know you'll still use our service even if we leak it all".

2. chuBb.

im waiting for it to be revealed that even amazon cant secure s3....

Whats reckoning it will be a line of business server that was compromised that happened to backup to a leaky bucket?

3. jake Silver badge

Secondary?

From what I can see, judging by reports of security issues reported here on ElReg, the Industry Standard for "internet companies" (whatever that means) places security somewhere below quaternary.

4. pavel.petrman

Security is the number one priority right until the moment user privacy or some other cost centre will become their number one priority. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

5. Bartholomew

Well to be fair the comment with the magnet URI is "Jeff Bezos paid $970 million for this, we're giving it away FOR FREE.". So there would have been some security.

6. Bartholomew

Part two will be bad, some are saying "plain text passwords" *double facepalm*

Here is the message for the twitch leaks part one:

"We bring to you today an extremely poggers leak:

Twitch is an American video live streaming service that focuses on video game live streaming, including broadcasts of esports competitions, operated by Twitch Interactive, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc.

Their community is also a disgusting toxic cesspool, so to foster more disruption and competition in the online video streaming space, we have completely pwned them, and in part one, are releasing the source code from almost 6,000 internal Git repositories, including:

> Entirety of twitch.tv, with commit history going back to its early beginnings

> Mobile, desktop and video game console Twitch clients

> Various proprietary SDKs and internal AWS services used by Twitch

> Every other property that Twitch owns including IGDB and CurseForge

> An unreleased Steam competitor from Amazon Game Studios

> Twitch SOC internal red teaming tools (lol)

AND: Creator payout reports from 2019 until now. Find out how much your favorite streamer is really making!

Torrent (128GB): *censored*

Repository listing: *censored*

Jeff Bezos paid $970 million for this, we're giving it away FOR FREE.

#DoBetterTwitch"

2. Barry Rueger

House of cards...

Facebook. Twitch. The entire internet is a house of cards. Sooner or later. Someone will tug out the Jack of diamonds at the bottom and the entire thing will come crashing down.

1. Jeroen Braamhaar

Re: House of cards...

Rather someone pull out the joker card (Google) first.

2. chuBb.

Maybe we should just play shithead, and swap shithead for bgp-dns?

3. jake Silver badge

The Internet existed long before facebook, alphagoo and amazon existed. It will still be with us long after they are gone.

Yes, they will be gone someday. So will Microsoft and Apple and Canonical.

Before you poo-poo this, think about it. Where are Burroughs, Sperry, Allied Signal, Philco, Amdahl, Remington Rand, DEC and ROLM? We won't mention the likes of HP, the poor mewling thing, so senile it doesn't know it's dead. And that's just for a start.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Yeah, you forgot Sun, and IBM, which is in not much better shape than HP.

I stumbled across http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/sec/428/Computing-Companies/

They're missing companies like Godbout, but they've got a pretty good list.

2. heyrick Silver badge

You forgot to add: Everybody who is anybody is on MySpace. MySpace is the place to be.

My what? Um...

3. MrReynolds2U
    Facepalm

Is it still news when this keeps happening?

"That said, a leak of its internal code could cost Twitch far more in terms of competitive advantage."

Unlikely. Nothing they do is revolutionary. It's far more likely to reveal a vast array of security issues, bad code practices and potential grey deals.

Be prepared for the bad guys to find exploitable code these long before they are patched.

Oh, and expect to receive SMS and email phishing about a Twitch account you don't have.

4. Santa from Exeter

Sometime Twitch user.

'Their community is also a disgusting toxic cesspool'.

Whilst I will grant you that there may well be some toxicity on there, I have rarely seen any in the Streams that I follow.

This *may* be because they are fairly niche, but the worst that usually comes into chat are the hate-bots that quickly get ban-hammered by a Mod.

Personally, I think that most of the toxicity spews from twats like the poster of the code, who is more akin to those who create the hate-bots than the generality of Twitch users.

5. The Griff

Three...Two...One

I'm waiting for the obligatory press release that categorises this as a "sophisticated" attack. Because then it's not their fault. No company can be reasonably expected to defend against sophisticated hacks now can they?

6. Valeyard

snafu

Amazon's Twitch has blamed a "configuration" snafu for its woes.

amazon.....configuration...

so who else is thinking open buckets?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A "Microsoft regional director" should decline the opportunity to dissect and divulge information from stolen material. This is clearly immoral behavior and contrary to Microsoft's code of ethics.

1. jake Silver badge

You honestly think a multi-billion dollar multinational has any morals or code of ethics beyond "make a profit"? Ah, the naivety of youth ...

8. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

All i want to know is ...

How much does Richard Herring earn on twitch?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like