back to article Want to check out Windows 11 but don't want to buy a new PC? Here's how to bypass the hardware requirements

Microsoft has softened its stance on hardware requirements for Windows 11 by documenting a way to bypass them – though it warns against doing so and states that it is unsupported and will not be entitled to updates. The explanation was posted on the page about "ways to install Windows 11." It may be that Microsoft always …

1. Plest Silver badge
    Facepalm

Even better....don't bother yet!

Face it, it's GA release so it's going to be a bug riddled mess for at least the next 3 months, wait for various critical fixes to come out before you even bother with it!

The only people who want to try it are:

- Cretins who want simply state they're using Win11 at home on their 5 follower social media feeds

- Tech Reporters who have to review it as they drew the short straw

Win10 works and is supported for the next few months, seen it on MSDN for download on Monday evening but I can wait thanks.

1. DavidYorkshire Silver badge

Re: Even better....don't bother yet!

You've missed at least one category - people who work in IT and need to know how it behaves. Especially so where BYOD is allowed for VPN connections, and we are very likely to be getting users with W11 asking us questions in the next few weeks.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Simple answer: tell them it's not company approved yet.

1. Outski

And they will do it anyway, or already have, and will still demand that you fix it

1. WolfFan Silver badge

And I will explain in short, simple, words and in writing that it is not supported and that no-one, including senior staff, will get any assistance whatsoever from us until it is supported. No-one.

Right, so when Microsoft automatically installs it (which they will) - what then?

I'm sure we all remember how aggressively they pushed W10 onto W7 and 8 computers. This will probably be even more difficult to block, unless you have a good knowledge of computers.

Just telling users 'tough, we don't support it' is really not an acceptable answer.

1. DJV Silver badge

"Just telling users 'tough, we don't support it' is really not an acceptable answer."

If the company has specified that, internally, it doesn't yet support Windows 11 then it IS an acceptable answer.

1. very angry man

Re: "Just telling users 'tough, we don't support it' is really not an acceptable answer."

Just ask them for their assistance getting that roll of carpet from the lift to the van , the quick lime is already loaded.

2. Auror

Honestly given how much of a mess Microsoft updates are unless your systems are domain joined and forcibly managed you're in for a lot of hurt one way or another. Sucks to pay for that but at the same time having some control over the user experience relieves a lot of bork even if the cost to pay the MS tax sucks. That said things often and do break....because Microsoft

3. Youngone Silver badge

Right, so when Microsoft automatically installs it (which they will) - what then?

No they won't. They've never automatically installed any of their operating systems over an old version, because there's no money in doing that.

1. trindflo Bronze badge
                  Coffee/keyboard

No matter how outrageous the sarcasm, you generally want to use the Joke Alert icon or you might be taken seriously.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

and given the number of downvotes, he WAS taken seriously. Ah, the youths of today... Now, in my days...

2. Kane
                  FAIL

"No they won't. They've never automatically installed any of their operating systems over an old version, because there's no money in doing that."

Hahahahhhaahahah!

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

And No.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Missed one? I remember reading somewhere that MS would offer W11 as a 'optional' feature update to W10 users in the same way they were offered 21H1 and 20H2...

4. WolfFan Silver badge

You can uninstall it if you move in ten days or less. It is literally not my problem if _you_ elect to attempt to place unsupported systems on _my_ network.

5. James O'Shea

My answer would be simple: don't BYOD. Use company equipment; that is supported. If you use something non-standard, and unsupported, well, you deserve what you get.

See further the many decades of Windows admins declining to support Macs or Linux systems. If you, the user, could make it work, fine (though some particularly virulent Crapple haters went out of their way to actively block access) but if you need help... tough. You're on your own, bubba.

From what was said, if a Win 11 device can connect without assistance, excellent. You need help? How sad. Too bad. Keep walking.

1. Charles 9

Tell that to the people who run the payroll or cut your paychecks...

1. Ken G Silver badge

Payroll system is always last to update - no-one wants to risk breaking that.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Around here, Accounting doesn’t do BYOD. And none of their machines will run Win 11, CPUs are 6th gen. Not a problem for them.

3. WolfFan Silver badge

And, further, for certain senior members of staff… I’ll just remind them that we were supposed to have swapped out some machines last year, and more this year, but covid happened and the budgeted cash was diverted. We have zero company machines which can run Win 11 without resorting to unsupported and unsafe tweaks. We have zero people with experience with Win 11 on company equipment. We have zero training on Win 11. It’s not in the budget. Even if it was put into the budget today, I would need time to spec systems, time to arrange training, time to set up… so no, Win 11 is not supported and will not be allowed on the network unless and until someone senior says, in writing, to put BYOD Win 11 machines on the network, and absolves me of all blame for any problems.

Not willing to put it in writing? Piss off.

1. Tromos

"Zero training on WIN11"

No problem. Just follow standard big business practice and recruit a couple of extra hands - "must have minimum 3 years Windows 11 experience".

4. James O'Shea

I don't have to. They aren't running Win 11. Nor will they be allowed to run Win 11 on the office network. Anyone who doesn't like it needs to make a case for using Win 11 on the office network, in writing. And to provide the budget for the necessary support. Personally, I'd just _love_ to see the justification for spending the additional money, particularly after recent budget meetings. Note that the extra money will NOT be coming out of IT's current budget, all the money's spoken for, and that, right there, will kill any attempt to strong-arm Win 11 onto the system until at least the next annual budget exercise, in February next year.

Now, if some other department is willing to pay, why certainly we can consider a project to add Win 11 support. It will, of course, have to be done as per established project guidelines, unless someone can show that this is an emergency or at least a high-priority project... and that someone had best be able to find the additional funding to run a crash priority project.

In the classic lines of Gordo Cooper in "The Right Stuff", 'Funding makes this bird fly'. No funding, no flight. Or, as Virgil Grissom allegedly put it, 'no bucks, no Buck Rogers'. Show me the money. Or don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave.

5. Roland6 Silver badge

>Tell that to the people who run the payroll or cut your paychecks

They will be using Sage... So unlikely to be running W11 (or anything more recent than Office 365/2016 32-bit for sometime yet...

6. Adrian 4

> Right, so when Microsoft automatically installs it (which they will) - what then?

They might want to, but given the requirements that are the subject of this article, they'll struggle.

Of course, that probably won't stop them forcing an update which always fails.

2. trindflo Bronze badge
              Devil

Oh, I'd always offer to re-image it for them. Takes no time at all.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
            Thumb Up

"And they will do it anyway, or already have, and will still demand that you fix it"

PEBCAK

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@DavidYorkshire - Re: Even better....don't bother yet!

You can safely tell those BYOD users to shove off. If it's their PC, it's entirely their problem.

1. EnviableOne

Re: @DavidYorkshire - Even better....don't bother yet!

Unless they're the CXO who signs your paychecks/ budget

3. Mage Silver badge
        Windows

Or people looking for more ammunition to move entirely from Windows to Mac or Linux.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

3 months? You're quite the optimist.

I would say at least a year. Maybe two.

3. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Devil

s/yet//

ftfy.

4. Julian 8 Silver badge

None of the above.

Got my T450 back from my son has he has finished migrating to his Mac, so the "spare" T450 needs a rebuild so went W11 to see.

5. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Sorry but...

I have too many perfectly good PC's to deal with that have no TPM that easily have half a decade or more of useful life in them in terms of CPU power, RAM size & SSD storage. So nothing will go to Windows 11 until everything can, as I don't want to deal with a bunch of different OS's. For all the noise about TPM, I haven't noticed it protecting anyone against the high Pareto threats like phishing & ransomware. Don't care about low Pareto threats like stolen laptops as there are perfectly good non-TPM solutions to mitigate the consequences of those.

1. Mage Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: TPM

It may have some theoretical value but overall with real browsers and poorly trained users and security flaws in applications and OS, it's pointless. I've a bunch of PCs with no TPM and the others have a connector, but no-one sells the module.

Most stuff is now Linux here for five years.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My PC will run Win 11 (I checked yesterday) but I can't actually find a good reason to upgrade. Apart from being 'shiny' what is the main reason for upgrading?

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Flame

"Apart from being 'shiny' what is the main reason for upgrading?"

More efficient telemetry sucking up more of your personal info, better ways to monetize your data, hardened communication tunnels to the MS mothership, setting the stage for the inevitable monthly fee to let you log on and of course back door deals with hardware manufacturers to supply you with new hardware.

Oh, you though the end user would benefit in some way? No, not at all. Just MS Shareholders.

1. BobChip
          Holmes

My head hurts! Sounds like an awful lot of very iffy hard work. Think I'll just stick with Linux.......

7. trindflo Bronze badge
      Boffin

Is it worse than 'support'?

Something new in Windows 10 is that all drivers must be signed by Microsoft. I haven't been able to confirm this, but it seems like since Microsoft owns the certificate that they have a kill switch for Windows 10. Unlike previous versions of Windows where you could perform tricks to keep them running, it isn't obvious to me that this will be possible with Windows 10. People who are willing to pay for the extra service can probably get extended certificates, but I'm not sure that will be an option for the rest of us.

Can anyone confirm this or (hopefully) show me the error in my thinking?

2. DavidYorkshire Silver badge

What happens if you try to clean install rather than upgrade?

I've not had chance yet to try with a TPM 1.2. Have tried with no TPM, and it refuses to install.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Paris Hilton

I was wondering how it will work as a VM. At that point, all the hardware is virtualized any way, so you can tell it whatever you want to get it to install.

Icon because I am not a VM person so I might be talking complete BS.

1. Jason Hindle

"I was wondering how it will work as a VM."

On the Mac, Parallels comes with a TPM emulator.

2. Boothy

It depends on the VM software.

For TPM, VMWare products already have this, and as mentioned above, Parallels on Mac also includes TPM.

Whereas Oracle VirtualBox currently doesn't have TPM.

Apparently it's being worked on. Once released, I'd assume a new setting will appear, likely under System > Motherboard, to enable TPM (same place where EFI is located, which includes secure boot also needed by Win 11).

Not sure on the CPU side, as VMs generally pass the host CPU ID through to the guest, so I guess that comes down to how old your CPU is, and if you override Windows 11s hardware checks.

3. DavidYorkshire Silver badge

I have done some VM testing. My host is a 10-year-old Poweredge running Hyper-V Server 2016. Clean installs from ISO.

Provided you configure the VM with access to the TPM and secure boot, it installs fine (despite the age of the server, it does actually have TPM2). The CPU is is reported as unsupported by the health checker program, but it still installs despite that.

If the VM doesn't have TPM access, it won't install at all.

2. Snake Silver badge

RE: clean install

The previously-posted method of avoid Win11 install denial issues was to indeed do a clean install. Did it on my Lenovo P71 and it worked a treat, no issues at all (note TPM 2.0).

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

clean install and/or test VM

and if I want to build a test VM from scratch, i.e. a "clean install", using VIRTUALBOX, will this registry hack still work? Is it even POSSIBLE?

Oracle is apparently working on a new version of VirtualBox that will emulate TPM 2.0 but I am concerned that the Linux and FreeBSD versions may lag too slowly behind.

Additionally, a virtualbox "driver" to pass through TPM requests would be IRRITATING, since it APPEARS that the new CPU I got for the spare workstation I had to rebuild (Ryzen 3 1200 quad core, price and availability being the main factors) is NOT compatible with "Windows II". However, it is EXTREMELY compatible with Linux and FreeBSD and any *SANE* operating system.

But if it looks like VirtualBox can RELIABLY support TPM emulation on Linux or FreeBSD some time within the next few months, I may choke back the bile, and take a chance on renewing MSDN (which is now called Visual Studio Subscription or similar but is basically the same thing) one more time.

I may try buiiding a virgin Win-10-nic and then "upgrading" using the registry hack, assuming my crappy bandwidth can download it before the subscription expires.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@DavidYorkshire - Memo to myself

Disable TPM. And SecureBoot, for added security against W11.

Re: @DavidYorkshire - Memo to myself

TPM is needed if you use Bitlocker.

Don't know whether seure boot is enforced or not - will do some testing to find out when I have time.

Re: @DavidYorkshire - Memo to myself

Just to add that having done some more testing, it appears that Secure Boot IS enforced. So far as I can tell the 'hard floor' is TPM.1.2 and Secure Boot, with no enforcement of CPU. WIll fully test this in the next few weeks.

3. Dwarf

So how do you make the registry change during the install ?

.. Thinks back to custom Windows installs with a file system of add-ons and drivers and then re-burning that to disc.

Why can't they have a "I don't care, just install" button and make this easier for everyone ?

If they have decided not to worry about older hardware, then perhaps they could also add another button that points to a Linux install that will quite happily run on that hardware - let the customer choose and all that ..

1. Tom Chiverton 1

"So how do you make the registry change during the install ?"

You don't. You make the change from inside Win10, then loop back mount the Win11 install ISO and run that.

1. Ramis101

What if you say, want to perform a clean install? or a VM say, virtualbox? it would appear the only way to achieve this is to install W10 first, tell W10 all is cool and then upgrade to W11.

Seriously?

1. Boothy

Don't think that would work currently anyway, not with VirtualBox, as you still need TPM 1.2 as a min, even with this 'fix', and VirtualBox doesn't have TPM of any version currently.

It is apparently being worked on by Oracle, so once TPM has been added, then your approach might then work, but then as long as EFI is enabled (which has secure boot on by default) as well as TPM 2.0 enabled, then you could probably just do a clean install direct from a Win 11 image anyway at that point!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. K.o.R

I believe you can get a command prompt up at the start of a clean install, then either launch REGEDIT (if it's available) or use REG ADD to make the necessary change.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
        Boffin

Shift-F10

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You sadly have to customize the ISO using DSIM to mount the .win and RegEdit to change the registry hive. There’s some scripts already out to do this for you.

5. FrJackHackett

Set reg key during setup

Shift+F10 when setup starts and run regedit. Just did it on a 7 year old Dell XPS 12. Installed just fine, running no worse than Windows 10. A few missing drivers that look to have been picked up after install by Windows update; the fact it didn't pick them up during setup when it goes online to check for updates is, well, not entirely surprising.

Only want it installed as I'm selling and I'm hoping the "lure" of shiny new Windows 11 will get me a few more quid for it.

Finally, MS talk about security a lot, but in 2021 you can still answer the security questions with your password when setting up an offline account. I'm only setting up the account to get the laptop ready for selling, so I just answered the 3 questions with the password, but amazed you can actually still do that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Set reg key during setup

Looks like the beta version of Rufus (the popular bootable USB creator) will patch Windows 11 ISOs for you now: https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/blob/master/ChangeLog.txt

4. PermissionToSpeakPlease

Security update

Wait...

There's a security update for a OS that was released yesterday?

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Security update

There is a fix for the Windows 11 Out of Box Experience.

On my test VM, Edge froze when trying to sign into a Microsoft account, and I had to hit the virtual power button to get out of it.

There's also the daily anti-virus updates for Windows Defender.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Out of Box Experience

sounds like something from the Undead.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I would expect an update, possibly with an empty payload, just to confirm that the update system works.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

"There's a security update for a OS that was released yesterday?"

Why is that a bad thing ?

And between the actual building of the final release, preparation for it's rela world distribution etc, there could be more than just a few days or weeks gone by.

4. Duncan Macdonald
      Joke

Yes - FORMAT C: /Y

5. fnusnu

And coming up next: a bypass for the ludicrous CPU requirements?

Or are we going to see millions more devices chucked into landfill?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: And coming up next: a bypass for the ludicrous CPU requirements?

I'm not going o junk the old devices (I'm responding on a Windows 7 machine) - I was planning to buy some more PC's but cancelled the plan when I saw the Windows 11 was going to need a big internal change ... I wonder if many users have put off buying systems until we all know that a new PC will actually work and not need a hardware update?

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Or are we going to see millions more devices chucked into landfill?

the better ones end up on E-bay and get Linux or FreeBSD on them. Or maybe even 7 or XP...

and with the supply glut, the price will be low. time for a new server box???

3. DavidYorkshire Silver badge

It doesn't seem to enforce the CPU requirement and will still install. It's lack of a TPM which is the show-stopper.

1. fnusnu

The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows

That won't stop it installing though - it still installs fine even if the CPU is reported as not supported. I've tested this with a clean install.

If it won't work when upgrading, try a clean install.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Or are we going to see millions more devices chucked into landfill?"

Maybe in 5 years when Win10 goes EOL, but not yet. I'm sure there is plenty of new kit still on sale now that won't be supported by Win11.

I'm more surprised they went with Win11 from Win10 when they previously went from Win8 to Win10, skipping Win9. Especially considering that Win10 was supposed to be the "last" Windows. I wonder what they'll do when Win12 is approaching EOL? Will they go with Win13?

6. Howard Sway Silver badge

Oh, the irony

Remember the days when in order to get Linux installed and working, you sometimes had to hack around with low level hardware configuration before you had a working system?

Well, Windows has finally devolved to that level, whilst I've not had a Linux installation that didn't work instantly for years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, the irony

Issues with proprietary Nvidia drivers are a pain of late, but that isn't an issue with Linux as such, the nouveau driver works fine, it's Nvidia, especially with older unsupported cards i.e. 340.108 drivers.

Nvidia could really do with ironing out the issues with Linux, though support is still somewhat better than AMD in terms of longevity, if you use a patched driver. If Nvidia played their cards right, they could be seen as the default ''go to' graphics on Linux.

Linux is entering the limelight, given there is such bad press for the artificial constraints Microsoft have applied to the hardware requirements of Windows 11. Microsoft have messed up making people jump through too many hoops to install Win11.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Oh, the irony

"Microsoft have messed up making people jump through too many hoops to install Win11."

It's still a catch-22 though. Most of the big corporates, including local councils, Government, education, are locked into Windows by their software suppliers. None of the big s/w suppliers see a market for Linux version of their s/w so won't invest and if no one invests, there's nowhere for the herd to follow. A very few big organisations have tried to switch to Linux, few have succeeded and the of those who actually did it, the pressure on them to revert back to Windows was and is enormous.

I doubt the C-Suite will know or care about any extra hoop-jumping the peons have to do.

7. TKW

If you're not prepared to play their game (stick to their inflated spec list) why are you prepared to play their game (pointless upgrade treadmill)?

8. WolfFan Silver badge

Frankly

I don’t care. Win 11 is not supported here, and likely will not be supported for at least nine-twelve months, or long enough for the early bugs to be addressed at least twice. (Note that I didn’t say ‘fixed’. I expect that some early bugs will still be there years later.) If users do BYOD with Win 11, it would be entirely their problem to get it to play nice on their hardware and the network. We will just watch them flail.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Will it? / Won't it?

I managed to finally get my little Windows10 tablet to update from 1909 to 21H1 the other day, so I was interested in what Windows Update might say about WIndows 11 :

This PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11

Phew, I was worried for a moment.

10. nohomo

I will not install Windows 19!

I'd rather wait for reports on long-term use...

11. Conundrum1885

TPM

Its bad when TPM 2.0 modules are selling for more than the cost of a new motherboard.

1. James O'Shea

Only extreme fanbois would pay that. I certainly won't. And I say that as someone who has bought a lot of Apple equipment. When Mac users say that something costs too much, you gotta know that there's a problem.

Besides, there's a software fix for the TPM problem on many motherboards.

1. Conundrum1885

Alas it only works if the board has one of the newer CPUs with soft TPM.

At least for mine, which has a TPM slot but alas not the more recent version so likely won't work.

Also CPU is not supported as Xeon E3 1150.

12. Uncle Ron

My understanding is that 10 will continue to be supported (at least with security "fixes" until 2025.) Am I wrong? I will dual-boot all my home machines to Linux (either Zorin or Mint) beginning about 6 to 12 months in advance, and when 10 "goes away," so will I. Unless MS relents on it's terrible plan.

If I believed for a nano-second that 11 would place even a *dent* in the vulnerability of every Windows computer on the planet--viruses, malware, hacks, leaks, ransom-ware, identity-theft, etc.,--I might be interested. Evil-doers all over the world will take said nano-second to get around TPM and whatever else is in this new spaghetti code. And I'm not at all interested in spinning up and maintaining virtual machines in order to run Windows 11. Forget it. The only beneficiaries of this HW BS are the HW manufacturers. New PC's will be required for ~50% of EVERYBODY. No Thanks. When support for 10 ends, it's Linux for me. Goodbye MS BS.

1. trapper

Re: 2025

Oh gosh, I did that when Win7 hit EOL - 8 & 8.1 sucked; 10 was a hard-to-dodge imposition with crowdsourced QC, the cheapskates. Just like 10, Redmond has stepped on its own crank with golf shoes and insists on stepping on mine. No. No. Have 4 machines here, all running Mint Linux. Only real problems I've had are with printer drivers and GPU drivers that don't work as well as their counterparts do in a Windows installation. Win7 is on another drive with the internet access turned off, accessible via Restart/F8 to run, clicking in Computer to mount & access drive contents. Duh. I have what I need.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's not really an issue with printer drivers in Linux, if you choose the right printer to start with, i.e. a printer supplier that puts Linux support on an equal footing to Windows, in terms of the drivers/software supplied. (Windows 10/11 drivers can be a bigger problem with older printers, where Linux will work, Windows won't).

Top Tip:

Always check the Printer's support pages before buying a particular printer, and search for Linux drivers.

1. Mage Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: printer drivers in Linux,

Brother. Also they don't do HP shenanaigans on Windows either.

The scanners work with SANE, local or LAN on the MFC.

Unless you only print photos, get a duplex colour laser.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I did that when XP went EOL and switched to Ubuntu. Since then, I've maxed out the memory on that system (8 GB) and added a bigger hard drive - but otherwise am using the same hardware!

If only I could figure out why gnome-shell was consistently using a lot of CPU, it probably wouldn't be slow even now. But I might upgrade the processor to a quad-core just to get rid of that headache. (Memory is only half-used and swap sits at 0, so I figure processor really is the bottleneck.)

1. Saint

Try Xubuntu for a lighter experience

1. Mage Silver badge

Ubuntu

Linux Mint with Mate Desktop. Or install Mate on Ubuntu.

13. ITS Retired
    Big Brother

Any more, the various parts of the Microsoft OS seems to be written and controlled by several independent committees, that do not do much, if any communications between the various committees.

Icon for the telemetry.

14. Kev99 Silver badge

TPM 2 is secure?

Didn't some researcher crack TPM 2 and determine a way to bypass? Anything made by man can be broken.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TPM 2 is secure?

Apparently not.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/how-to-go-from-stolen-pc-to-network-intrusion-in-30-minutes/

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upgrade treadmill

Consume, consume, consume.

Change is good, for business.

16. Dusty

Abuse of monopoly position.

I have to say, If I was running a small business and MS comes along and tells me that my 2 year old PC's are all obsolete and will no longer be supported in 3 years time.

This would be the thing that pushes me over to Linux.

As a private user, but for the games, (And a handful; of proprietary programs that I use) I would have probably jumped ship already.

Not so bothered about the TPM/secure boot thing so much (Though the future implications are disturbing)

But not being able to use a rather expensive CPU that I only bought 2 years ago is outrageous! (AMD Threadripper)

Its almost like a monopoly electricity company suddenly changing the supply voltage in a way that 90% of appliances, even ones a year or two old, cannot use and then telling its customers to just suck it up!

MS should not have the right to obsolete billions of dollar worth of computer equipment around the world on a whim. The overwhelming majority of which works just fine.

(How many billions? I can not begin to imagine. 10's, 100's. More even perhaps. It isn't just home PC's, its industrial and medical equipment too)

Perhaps the US government should do a standard oil job on MS and break it up!

:((

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Re: Abuse of monopoly position.

I am quite sure that MS was getting a lot of pressure from their OEM partners to push some form of required hardware upgrade. PC sales are way down and have been for years. The OEMs could count on a 5-7 year hardware refresh due to new Windows releases, plus the new PC purchases due to "my PC is running slow" which the peons don't realize was caused by Windows and not their PCs. A cleaning or fresh install would fix it, but the PC sellers are not going to tell them that!

Windows 10 has to a degree stopped the "slow down" issue. At least we have not seen as much of this in our Enterprise.

So the OEMs need sales! So now we see Windows 11 (when 10 was supposed to be the LAST Windows). Unfortunately, they are doing this all during a serious supply chain crisis.

17. Martin
    Happy

We tried the upgrade on an elderly HP laptop that owes us nothing....

But presumably it had upset you in some way, or why would you do that to it?

1. James O'Shea

They said that it was an HP. That's reason enough right there.

18. richdin

It will pass quickly...

As Microshaft never gets consecutive releases right (95 vs Me vs XP... Win7 vs Win8 vs Win10) - Win11's days are numbered. Wait for Win12.

19. mbee

Windows has been in the business of shafting the user to get them to pay more money for decades. Unless you actually need some feature on Windows 11 why upgrade to a company which is giving you the shaft deliberately. There are other operating systems.

20. Kro--nos

Interestingly, this key is present on Windows Insider installations - and explains "How have I been running 11 on a 7th gen I5 for the last 3 months"

21. Tron Silver badge

Just ignore Windows 11 as you ignored Me and Vista.

Eventually they will surrender and remove the idiot stuff.

22. binary
    WTF?

Who needs Windows when Linux can do more?

Tried to bypass the hardware requirements per this article on my laptop with an i7 processor but it's impossible. On a second thought, I realize that I'd be better off using Linux on my laptop.

23. arachnoid2

Rufus beta

Rufus has enabled an option for the bypass when making an image

https://www.neowin.net/news/rufus-316-beta-2/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like