back to article Microsoft's problem child, Windows 11, is here. Will you run it? Can you run it? Do you even WANT to run it?

Microsoft has launched a new operating system today, but whether you'll be able to run it is open to question. As is if you'll want to run it. The Redmond-based Windows flinger has a problematic history with Windows releases. The century opened with Windows XP, shipped in 2001, which seemed OK. Then came Vista, in 2007, which …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Want to run it?

No. But one day I will have to because Borg. But I'll wait at least a year before I install. I'll do what I always do: let others beta test.

1. Imhotep

Re: Want to run it?

I don't have to run it because I've retired.

So far, I've been able to do everything I need to do on an IPad.

But, I've got an HP laptop with Windows 7 on which I'll be installing a new OS - if anyone has some pointers on which distrib would be easiest for an exWindows guy.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

"anyone has some pointers"

Linux Mint Cinnamon. The GUI isn't too far removed from Windows 7 and it is a stable and popular version of Linux. I've been using it for years since ditching Windows.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Mint

Agreed. Mint is a distro that helps make the transition to Linux with some ease.

As a long-time Windows user (since Windows 286, yikes!), I find the interface intuitive and it is not overly difficult to get where I want to go.

I still need some training, but my retirement is a decade from now, so it'll have to wait.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
            Linux

KDE

Don't know a lot about Mint/Cinnamon, but KDE has served me well as a desktop for many years, is available on most if not all distros, and is at its best yet IMO.

10 years ago KDE 4 was a bit of a "duff release" i'll grant, but its successor has really made up for that.

"KDE Connect" is awesome for integrating with my phone. Dolphin file manager does everything a file manager needs to. Settings are easy to find and very useful/powerful - it's as customisable as a desktop should be without being confusing for new users. My Bluetooth mouse "just works". Even my work VPN "just works", after setting it up via the networking widget.

It doesn't crash, it doesn't get in the way, it does everything I need, and I can trust it to work for me and not somebody else*.

Most things that I need for work are available natively for Linux e.g. Chrome, LibreOffice, Slack, Teams, VSCode - And of course, these days we can run even those Windows apps and games without a Linux version on Linux via Wine and Steam's Proton. Basically everything that I need as a computer user.

* Here I am referring to all of the evil 'provisioning' antifeatures in Windows, Android, iOS etc that are designed to give someone else (your employer, your software/hardware vendor and any advertisers who pay them, your state.. etc) surveillance and control over what you think and do.

2. martinusher Silver badge

I'm typing this on Mint. Its fast, usable and reliable. It doesn't hog the processor. The system can also boot Windows 10 but if I use it the thing takes a long time to boot, it monopolizes the system as its scanning, downloading and generally carrying on (with the processor fan, usually off with Linus, churning away like mad).

Before I changed the hard disk for a SSD and partitioned it I used to bring Mint up off a USB drive. It was still faster than Windows.

I've been using Microsoft's products off an on since DOS 2.1 (that includes very early versions of Windows). I still think that Windows 2000 was the only really usable version of Windows. (POSIX compatible as well -- what were they thinking?)

1. jake Silver badge

"I still think that Windows 2000 was the only really usable version of Windows."

Yes. Win2K was peak Windows.

"(POSIX compatible as well -- what were they thinking?)"

They were thinking about Government contracts requiring compliance with FIPS 151-2.

1. Imhotep

XP was my favorite.

I'm perplexed why MS feels it has to change the UI with new versions and frustrate their users.

Fix the bugs, make it secure, add new functionality - but leave the UI alone. If they made cars, they'd think it brilliant to make the gas pedal a knob on the dash and the brakes a crank on the door.

1. Zarno

Chrysler/Dodge with the "spinner shifter knob"...

1. David 132 Silver badge

Ask Anton Yelchin what he thinks about arbitrary "because it's cool" redesign of essential controls.

1. Zarno

Yeah, that one was an utter chunk of trash. And I didn't like the 2019 300 rental car with the puck either.

I hate to admit it, but I had foot on brake and hit the "engine off" button when I stopped at the hotel, with intention of setting park brake (I'm used to stick shift, 5 sticks in the stable now), and it actuated a motor to rotate the thing into park, shut off engine, started beeping and bleeping, and threw up some castigations on screen.

So at least now, there's some sort of safety involved, but it's still idiotic.

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Quite simple - who is going to pay for a slightly faster, slightly more secure OS? Now who is going to pay for the latest shiny?

Its why I'm still running W7.

1. Imhotep

7 is what is currently on my laptop. And I have that because I bought 7 and wiped 8 off of the drive.

You're right about selling the new and shiny. Why don't they just change the Solitaire deck or add more games and backgrounds?

3. Paper

Re: Linux Mint

Mint Linux is good, although I have to say I grew to love the Ubuntu Linux Gnome shell after a while.

4. geekguy

Honest question, how do you play games which almost always want a windows platform ?

1. jake Silver badge

As a very long-term computer and networking consultant who occasionally builds and/or upgrades data centers for a living, I can assure you that the last thing I want to see in my not very copious free time is yet another PEE CEE.

Games should be played outdoors, on grass. It's good for the soul ... which nobody ever said about computer gaming.

Felt covered slate is a valid substitute for grass, archery or darts also work nicely.

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

I've upvoted you because (apart from pinball) I don't play games. However, I'll have a spare RPi3 soon which I'm going to install RetroPi on - Pacman anyone?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Honest question, how do you play games which almost always want a windows platform ?

Honest answer - I never play games. Never have. I simply don't see the attraction.

3. fedoraman

That's the Hard Question. I can only suggest Steam, but I don't know what range of games it supports.

1. AnotherHowie

Since the upcoming SteamDeck runs Linux underneath, the situation for Linux generally ought to improve too! It seems to be OK-ish, at the moment...

https://www.protondb.com/

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
              Linux

You can configure SteamPlay (aka "Proton", a per-game customised version of Wine) to try to play ALL windows games. not just officially-supported ones.

For almost everything I've tried, it works flawlessly.

GTFO works. DOOM works. Even VR games like The Forest and Dead Effect work.

4. P. Lee
            Linux

Check out protondb.com to look for how well particular games run on linux.

Valve recently announced some of the anti-cheat software was also coming to linux, which means things like pubg etc will be arriving too.

5. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Steam on Linux is pretty good. I tend to mainly play strategy games like Civilisation V or Stellaris, or sandbox games like Kerbal Space Program; first-person shooters/adventure games aren't my cup of tea. My main disappointment is that few of the Total War series of games will run on Linux.

Aside from Steam there is also free software called PlayOnLinux which puts a reasonably user-friendly UI on Wine, which allows one to run Windows software on Linux - maybe. See WineHQ website for a list ofWindows software that users have been able to get to work on Linux, and how well (or badly) it runs via Wine. Wine can require a fair bit of messing about to get programs running if you try using it directly, though; unless you like tweaking things to get stuff to run well (I don't!), I'd stick with Steam or Play on Linux.

5. smot

Also agreed. Personally, I'm not a fan of Cinnamon or KDE - Gnome for me - but for Windows migration, Cinnamon is an easy switch.

6. ASteamingPileofPenguinPoop

Ubuntu Mate comes close too.

For added familiarity, rightclick on the taskbar, customize it and choose 'Redmond' - it's now win9x-ish

2. Inkey
        Go

pointers on which distrib would be easiest

Mint

Debian

ElementOs

Mint is more windows centric

And element more ios centric

Both are a lot less hassle than m$ os's and can be set up to your prefrences, are great for starting out, or if you just want an os to run your olde laptop

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Meh

I wouldn't recommend Debian for a beginner, though if you know what you are doing, it is a very nice base to build exactly the system you want. Not as good as FreeBSD though.

Mint is Debian-based and definitely one I would recommend. Never tried ElementOS.

Devil

I've been using Debian for 20 years (that makes me feel old, but i'm 36), and I somewhat agree, somewhat disagree.

Debian is *perfect* for a beginner provided they have someone experienced and patient enough to show them the ropes (as I did, and then did for other people)

But for a beginner who is on their own, or with nothing but internet forums, it can be a bit scary/frustrating.

It kind of assumes you know what you are doing. But if you DO know what you are doing or have a friend who does, then it is the most powerful and useful distro out there by far.

Whereas other distros try to force you down a certain path, which experienced users might decide they don't want to go down.

(e.g. 'snap' is the most ghastly thing ever invented. seriously wtf)

1. jake Silver badge

"(e.g. 'snap' is the most ghastly thing ever invented. seriously wtf)"

I'd say religion was the most ghastly thing ever invented.

As far as computing junk is concerned, snap is bad, but far from the worst. The systemd-cancer comes to mind. So does Apple keeping everything in a sandbox controlled by Apple, now emulated by all and sundry. To say nothing of the over-riding idea that people don't actually own the hardware that they purchase .... THAT is evil incarnate.

Mushroom

I think snap is actually worse than systemd.

Every application is mounted by the Kernel in its own squashfs. If you run `df` on a bare Ubuntu install of their latest version, you'll find it comes with about 15 mounted 'filesystems', one for each of the stock Snap apps that Ubuntu comes with, each with their own copy of all the system libraries, and a bizarre interface to the rest of the system. In fact it is just like the app-sandboxing evils of Apple that you cite, but coming to a Linux desktop near you.

It's supposed to be for security, but the very idea that you are bypasing root priveleges and handing a potentially untrusted squashfs image to kernelspace is just.. bonkers imo

And at least systemd actually has a USE, for a desktop/laptop user. It does make certain things easier. (I agree on servers it's totally backwards and often downright dangerous)

Also, without organised religion there would be no civilisation. So religion had a use too. But now we have civilisation I agree religion is obsolete. Still not as bad as snap though ;)

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Mint-Mate or Ubuntu-Mate. There are enough parts lying around to almost completely recreate the Windows Classic UI.

3. Binraider Silver badge

Start with Mint, and once comfortable consider Manjaro for a bit more power and bleeding edge features. Steam takes a lot of the hassle out of compatibility tools like Wine or Lutris (via Proton) too. I like mint a lot, though for someone that likes to dabble the Arch AUR functionality is very accessible. Perhaps the oddest part of the transition is the move away from .exe or .MSI installers in favour of package managers of one flavour or another.

AMD graphics instead of Nvidia tend to make life easier in my experience too. But you will hear a thousand arguments for and against Nvidia versus AMD on Linux.

4. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

I'm liking MX Linux.

5. CAPS LOCK

Mint baby, and the Xfce version for the time poor and impecunious, aka lazy and skint. And let us not forget Mint has an AWESOME community.

1. The Travelling Dangleberries

I recently installed Mint 19.1 XFCE on a pair of Eee PC 701s, one of which has whole 2GB of RAM in it. Web browsing is a bit relaxed and video chat is unusable but Mint works fine otherwise. Mozilla based browsers still run on this hardware and 19.1 will be supported for a couple more years.

Remind me again, why is it so hard for MS to support hardware a third of the age of my trusty netbook?

6. MrTuK

So many distro's but for very good NVidia support I would recommend POP-OS (Ubuntu based) from System76, I have it on 3 Gaming laptops. Once installed if you want a more Win 7 GUI you can install the cinnamon desktop GUI by typing in the following in the terminal "sudo apt-get install cinnamon" press enter and enter your password then reboot, bottom right is a settings option to choose your GUI - select Cinnamon - away you go.

1. P. Lee

I've been running ubuntu for quite a few months now. Initially I loved its plug-n-play and nice look.

My problem is that snaps and network storage don't seem to play nicely. Its seriously irritating to have parts of your filesystem just not be available.

I get the concept and I like it. Its just too hard to manage.

1. jake Silver badge

"Its seriously irritating to have parts of your filesystem just not be available."

I'd go as far as to say that that portion of the file system is not yours. It clearly belongs to somebody else. Are you absolutely certain you want to store your shit on it?

2. Mike_R
            Linux

1) You can run Ubuntu without snap. Google is your friend

2) You can run Mint, which does without snap as a matter of principle

HTH

1. jake Silver badge

It's just a jump to the left ...

7. jake Silver badge

"if anyone has some pointers on which distrib would be easiest for an exWindows guy."

I love all these people telling you that you should run their pet distro of choice. How the fuck would they know? They have absolutely no idea how you intend to use your computer.

The correct answer is "I don't know. What software do you intend to run, how do you intend to use the computer, how computer literate are you, and how far are you willing to dive into a new OS?".

I switched MeDearOldMum and Dad to Slackware the week that Dad retired. Dad started using computers in the 1950s. He dove into Linux (and later BSD) so deep all you could see was arse & elbows for several months. When he finally came up for air, he knew exactly what he wanted, specced out and built a machine for himself, and is still using THAT SAME BOX around 20 years later[0]. It is Slackware based, because he could see the utility of being able to pick my brain occasionally. The household file & print server and the alarm system and household mechanicals run BSD, as does the internet-facing stand-alone firewall.

Me DearOldMum, on the other hand, runs a cut-down version of Slackware, designed by me, specifically for her needs. It's essentially bone-stock Slackware-stable with a desktop that just has the bits & bobs that she needs day to day easily available to her. Dad is her first line of support, and I haven't been needed for probably ten years. I run her system updates remotely, after testing them out here. I also keep an eye on the logs & etc. Takes me almost no time (I batch it with my Wife & Great Aunt's upgrades ... they use the same basic subset of Slackware), and it's one less thing for Dad to worry about.

So it depends ... What are you going to do with it?

[0] He was speccing out a new machine when the Covid parts shortage hit. Today he says he probably isn't going to bother upgrading hardware after all. We'll see :-)

1. Imhotep

My career was in IT in a number of different roles, so I'm relatively comfortable diving in to a new OS, hunting down drivers to make everything work, etc.

Now I would just be using it for email, browsing and office suite type programs, so apps shouldn't be a problem.

But a Windowstype UI would make things easier. I think I'll try out Mint. And if I don't like it - I can always try another one.

Many thanks for all the answers.

1. Old Used Programmer

Another possible approach is to get a Raspberry Pi 4B and experiment with different distributions on that, probably starting with RPiOS. It's quick and easy to change OSes (just shut down, swap microSD cards, and fire it back up again).

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Exactly. If you don't like it, you can always load another. That's the beauty of Linux.

1. DanceMan
              Thumb Up

Re: you can always load another

Linux installs are FAST. So is updating.

3. jake Silver badge
            Pint

Just so you know, you probably won't have issues with drivers. That's mostly a Windows thing these days. Exceptions are for extremely obsolete equipment (and even then, Linux may surprise you!), and for bleeding edge equipment, which everyone has trouble with.

Contrary to popular opinionFUD, printers have mostly been a non-issue on Linux for about 20 years, thanks in large part to CUPS.

One last comment ... There is an old adage in the Linux world that goes something like "If you want to learn $DISTRO, run $DISTRO. If you want to learn Linux, run Slackware." ... One gives you the skills to use any distro out there. The other gives you the skills to use $DISTRO.

Enjoy experimenting, regardless of what you settle on. This round's on me.

1. TVU Silver badge

"Contrary to popular opinionFUD, printers have mostly been a non-issue on Linux for about 20 years, thanks in large part to CUPS"

Same with scanners and printer scanners too thanks to Sane/Xsane plus there's Vuescan as a (very good) last resort.

1. BobChip
                Linux

My Mint 20.2 system (homebuild) supports an HP laser printer, Canon Pixma inkjet, and an Epson V600 scanner, all running seamlessly together, with a wireless internet connection as well. Linux drivers for all these devices are provided by the manufacturer, and are perfectly good for day to day use with existing Linux software such as Simple Scan or Xsane. Yes, Vuescan is excellent and I have added it too - but I also used it with Windows back in the dark ages because MS on it's own did not cut the mustard, as well as the very useful Turboprint, which I have also carried forward into Linux. Don't let ANYONE tell you that Linux systems are unusable or difficult to work with - if I can do this without any formal training or "technical support", at nearly 80, anyone can. I use all this for extensive real WORK in my local community, not just as a hobby project.

In fact, IMHO, it has proved much easier to do all this in a Linux environment than it ever was under MS. With the added advantages of FOSS, far superior stability and the delightfully quick and simple (compared to MS) Linux update system - no borks or BSDs.

Happy (elderly) bunny.

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

jake wrote "They have absolutely no idea how you intend to use your computer."

Imhotep wrote "So far, I've been able to do everything I need to do on an IPad."

I think that gave us a little clue.

Your point about needing to know the user's needs was a good one, but these days any one of the popular Linux distros will get the job done, and many of the unpopular ones will get it done as well. For a non-IT and non-engineer type, there will be a little bending of the desktop to the user's preferences, and a little bending of the user to the distro's *way* of doing things, after they meet in the middle things generally work out okay. The biggest stumbling block for long-time Windows users is getting them to stop thinking, "who moved my cheese?"

1. jake Silver badge

There is a difference between "need" and "want".

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Okay.

2. jake Silver badge

The problem with the more corporate Linux distributions are just that ... they are corporate. Some of them have almost exactly the same problems as Microsoft, and for exactly the same reasons. I'm squinting at you, Canonical ... and derivatives. Producing kitchensinkware in an attempt to be all things to all people does nothing but make the system entirely too big and bloated and difficult to redirect into the direction you want to travel.

But if that's what floats your boat, feel free. Just be aware that your hand is being held, and you are being sheltered from the guts of the thing, which can never be good considering that to all intents and purposes you are your own sysadmin.

3. drkvogel

I was about to report you to some as-yet-unknown authority for forcing your Dear Old Mum to grapple with Slackware, and then I read the rest - fair play to you, sah!

8. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Arch

9. LybsterRoy Silver badge

I'm very similar but I'll be keeping my W7 machines.

As others I'd recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon - v20 at least. I tried several times with earlier releases to install on an "Bing" ultraportable and failed - version 20 handled the thing effortlessly. Runs a bit faster than W10 and the BIIIIG plus is I haven't yet had an update that's taken more than 10 minutes to install.

10. Andrew Scaife
        Mushroom

Kubuntu. 20.04 Long Term Support. Watch out if your Windows 7 laptop is using UEFI instead of old-fashioned BIOS, you should be able to find advice online. I haven't kept Windows on hardware I've bought secondhand for years, and I'd never choose a new system now with a Windows pre-installed. Check before you jump that your printer will work.

Icon because you should take off and nuke Windows from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. While you're up there feel free to nuke Office 365 and everything Microsoft. I may have to use it for work but I would not miss it.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Want to run away from it?

Yes, and I have, leaving my current employer and IT full time to pursue other more purposeful activities. Win 11 is the next guys problem! I wish them well!

1. rmullen0

You're a good man chivo243. I'm with you. Not leaving just yet, but, will be in the not too distant future. Microsoft thinks we are all just hamsters to be put in a wheel. What a wasted life dealing with Microsoft products. Think of all the hours people have wasted installing Windows updates on their buggy authoritarian software.

1. Snapper

'Think of all the man-centuries people have wasted installing Windows'.

There, fixed it for you!

3. EvilGardenGnome

My lappie is about 10 years old, and it starting to show the age. I'm in the boat of actually needing to update. So... resisitance is futile.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Put some fresh SSD, add some RAM and install Linux. 10 years old machine - if it's Sandy Bridge, won't be much worse than current offerings.

1. Wally Dug

If you get hold of Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, you can put Windows 10 on it - assuming that your version of Windows 7 is legit - free of charge.

I'm currently using an 11-year-old Compaq-branded (!) HP laptop that was running Windows 7 until April of this year and it's now running Windows 10 21H1. Yes, it's a bit slow, but it was slow anyway under Windows 7 and it's fine for checking my work webmail, light surfing of news sites, etc. More importantly, it's back to having a fully-supported OS.

Surprisingly, this laptop does not meet the criteria for Windows 11. I wonder why... ;-)

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: "assuming that your version of Windows 7 is legit"

"assuming that your version of Windows 7 appears to be legit"

FTFY

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

--More importantly, it's back to having a fully-supported OS.--

I always wonder about this bit. My W7 isn't supported but then when I bought this machine back in the dim and distant past (2017) I wiped it, reinstalled W7 configured as I want it and turned updates off. I've never had support from MS so .....

2. cookieMonster Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Exactly this.

Currently run on an X220, ran loads of distros on it, never had a problem. Currently back on the latest version of Mint.

3. EvilGardenGnome

Yeah, I wish. All glue, welds, and not a screw in sight. I've been crucified on my own need for easy portability.

The approximately 15 years old desktop, on the other hand, is loving it's fresh Linux install.

4. jake Silver badge

Might not even need more RAM and SSD upgrade ... This near 18 year old laptop has been upgraded from 256 Megs of RAM to 2 gigs and runs just fine. I am not a gamer.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> I am not a gamer.

Nudge nudge, wink wink

1. jake Silver badge

?

I fail to understand your point.

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Megaphone

I may decide to NOT renew my MSDN subscription (in about 3 weeks it expires) over this. I am VERY angry about their incompatibility with virtualbox, and I will *NOT* purchase new hardware JUST to run it. I had to replace my 14 year old "spare workstation" recently and it cost me over $300 in new parts to do it. Granted it's twice as fast with twice the RAM but still... SOME of us can't just toss money into a hole any time Micros~1 WHIMS it. And remember "Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers" at the 1993 PDC in Anaheim when Ballmer did the ape-walk around the stage??? He must have been LYING.

Developers NEED TO RUN THIS IN A VM and *NOT* *BUY* *NEW* *SPECIAL* *HARDWARE* *JUST* *BECAUSE* *YOU* *CAPRICIOUSLY* ***WHIMMED*** *IT*, Micros~1 !!!

I rarely do windows development anyway. I'm seriously considering fetching as many license keys and images as I'm allowed (and have bandwidth for) and be done with it, if you're gonna be THIS way about it.

NOTE: my old spare workstation had FreeBSD on it. I put a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU (Ryzen) into a smaller, lighter case, with new power supply, same hard drive, same DVD ROM drive, same NVidia video card, and it booted up without issue. Was an old Intel Core Quad CPU. Yeah, you can actually put the drive into a new box and boot it. UNLIKE WINDOWS WHICH WILL MOST LIKELY HARASS YOU AND MAKE YOU GET ANOTHER ACTIVATION OR SOMETHING.

*ahem* - I think I'm done ranting over this, now...

1. MrTuK

Thats one thing that is not talked about much, yes you can put your Linux drive into any other X86 (64 bit) PC/Laptop and it will boot up, without screaming about needing activation BS. Assuming it is using the same GPU Vendor (AMD or NVidia). Just curious if your new Win 11 M/B dies how will you be able to access you data assuming you are Joe Public with next to no knowledge of Windows ?

2. jake Silver badge

I'm surprised you stuck with MSDN this long, Bob. I dumped mine almost 12 years ago ... Spinning my wheels watching myself and everybody else be ignored by the Redmond Marketing Department just got too old to justify. I don't miss it a bit.

3. charlesy

Wow! Quoting Ballmer from the 1993 PDC. That was 28 years ago! No, I guess quite a few people don't remember that.

As I understand it, Oracle plans to release a Windows 11-compatible version of VirtualBox before the end of this month.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Yes. Mint.

But almost any flavor of Linux is fine. I've only tried a few flavors and settled on Mint.

6. martyn.hare

Pirate an Enterprise IoT Licence

..and you will get patches until at least 2029 with a fixed release of Windows 10. That is long enough to completely skip Windows 11 since MS is clearly cutting cycles from 10 years to 5 for their consumer desktop releases.

By then, Linux will hopefully have caught up on the Wayland and Pipewire side of things and Proton/Wine/Crossover will be “as fast as” Windows in a lot of cases.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: Pirate an Enterprise IoT Licence

As soon as Proton/Wine/Corssover can run stuff from Steinberg and Arturia, the version of Windows I will be running is 0.

(Oh, and to add my tuppence to the discussion, I use Mint/Cinnamon for my other, non-music machines.)

7. drkvogel

I *had* to install it because I'm on the Insiders Track, or whatever they call it... Why am I on the Indsiders track? Because I use WSL, which tbh works pretty damn well, apart from a datetime sync issue which they fixed on insiders a while back. But basically, because of that requirement, I was forced to migrate to Win11, and... well, it seems fine (well it would on my MS Surface 4 Laptop...), apart from the taskbar icons being centre-aligned (really?) and the start menu transforming into... whatever it is. I like the way you can right-click on a file and Copy Path, instead of going right-click, properties, security tab, select. It's alright, come on in, the water's lovely... if you've got a shit-hot laptop... :/

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

I am using WSL2 on Windows 10 and I am not on the Insiders Track, so there must be something else.

8. fukudasan

I'm kind of shocked to respond to this, but I'm sitting here in South Korea running essentially the same distro I've been running since about 2005 - except it used to be called Mandrake, then became Mandriva, then was taken over (rather neatly I thought) by Mageia, and here I am some sixteen years later running my system with virtually no changes since then in terms of cli usage; running the latest version of KDE supported by the system but with a choice of others. But it has been 64 bit all of the way.

I chose KDE because when I tried Mandrake for the first time, back in 1999 (version 7.0), I was struck by how ugly GNOME seemed to be. Fast forward to about 2004, new system built here, installed XP, then remembered Mandrake, downloaded the community distro for 10.0, split the drive, seriously never looked back. The day I finally deleted XP from all of my systems was one of my happiest! Plus, if the mobo dies, no headaches getting "permission" to install a new one - just reconnect the hard drive(s) and away you go!

It's wonderful to be able to come home after suffering Win7/10 at work all day and forget them as I ease back into Mageia. It never gets in my way. My advice: go to Mageia's download page and give the LiveDVD a try.

9. BobChip
      Linux

Do I want to run it? NO - because I have Linux, which works brilliantly, reliably, every day, all day. Simples

2. DavidYorkshire Silver badge

I've been testing it on VMs this morning (clean install from ISO), and can report the following:

- It doesn't seem to enforce CPU compliance, and will install on older CPUs (ten year old Xeon in this case)

- It does enforce TPM. Won't install without a TPM. Not had chance to see what happens yet with TPM 1.2 - need to find a physical machine for that

- Not sure yet whehter it enforces Secure Boot

1. Sampler

Did install on older CPU

I did a fresh install on my old Toshiba Tecra mobile workstation which has an i7-4600U (iirc) in it, a 4 series, well below the 8 series cut off.

It's installed fine, and runs perfectly fine (the unit has 32gb ram and a quadro with a few gb of vram, so it's still a good spec for a 2013 machine) BUT it won't stay that way, I got a warning that I won't get any more updates now the testing is done as the machine doesn't meet the requirements to run the OS it's perfectly running and I should instead re-install another OS.

Bit annoyed as I'll have to re-install apps and reconfigure for the "downgrade" to win10, but I guess that's what you get for beta running OS's, would've been nice to have an auto downgrade to win10 (or, not even have to bother at all as the machine runs the OS perfectly fine and I'd happily leave it that way if I were getting updates).

End of the day, it's more the same, things are moved around (for no real reason) and there's a new lick of paint, but it's still the same core than was in 10 (that was in 8, that was in 7...) by the feel of it, there's no real push to rush out and pay for it, I'll take a free update as that means longer support, but I'm not buying a licence and certainly not a new machine for it.

Not that I think any machine in the house could meet the requirements anyway, my four desktops (and the bucket of spare parts I could probably build an entire system out of) are all ITX so not sure they have TPM modules (usually cut for space - the Asus ROG Strix B550-I I'm writing this on shows nothing when I run "tpm.msc", though I guess I'd have to check bios incase it's disabled - [edit], it is listed under Asus's compatible boards, so maybe off in bios), my Intel NUC under the telly is almost as old as the Tecra mobile workstation so the i5 in that won't make the grade, I have a new laptop on order but again don't recall the mention of a TPM module (its also a rather compact design, so they may not have to save the space, like the ITX boards) and neither of my other two laptops have new enough CPU's.

But they're all perfectly functional systems and not getting upgraded any time soon given they're all perfectly fine at the jobs they do, so I guess I've got five years of win10 and just jump to 12 by the time I get around to upgrading.

1. Sampler

Re: Did install on older CPU

Yep, rebooted to UEFI and enabled TPM and it's now showing under tpm.msc, so, I guess I got one machine that'll run it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Binraider Silver badge

Windows 11 launch and FB Bork on the same day. Coincidence?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Mere, I'm sure. ;)

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

If Win 11 is crippling FB then maybe it is not so bad after all?

4. terry 1

I have advised my client base not to upgrade, due mainly to the right click menu being messed about. Stupid light blue icons for cut / copy / paste etc more clicks to do the same task.

But (and forgive my ignorance), if a graphics card has direct access to storage, how long will it before that's a vector for attack? I can see 'cryptolocking' fake games appearing that kills your system and windows will not know anything about it. (If I understood what I read correctly)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't run it

My home laptop, a i7 4th gen HP business laptop won't run it due the age of processor and lack of TPM 2.0. (only TPM 1.2 here)

After the Win10 support runs out in 4 years, it remains to be seen whether my 2014 model is still in operation. The battery is down to 15 minutes, the left touchpad mouse button is barely functional as are some keys. Fingerprint scanner kicked the bucket last year.

All of these I can replace, but I'm wary of buying a battery that has probably sat on a shelf for several years. Also, spending a couple hundred to replace the keyboard, touchpad assembly and the battery doesn't strike me as wise investment anyway.

1. JDPower666

Re: Can't run it

Where are you shopping that requires you to spend a couple of hundred on a keyboard and touchpad?? They should be waaaay cheaper than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't run it

>> "Where are you shopping that requires you to spend a couple of hundred on a keyboard and touchpad?? They should be waaaay cheaper than that."

You've missed that I listed the battery in the grocery list as well. My keyboard has the optional backlighting so it's more expensive than regular.

I've worked for an HP service/retailer - I know the prices. There are 3rd party batteries available and they wouldn't be any better/worse than originals; but the keyboard and touchpad assembly are only available from HP. And they're never really discounted.

6. dak
    Linux

This will be the fourth...

...generation of Windows that I will happily ignore, having switched all of our computers to Linux some years ago.

Life is soooo much simpler now.

1. MrTuK

Re: This will be the fourth...

I switched in 2016 due to Win 10 like many did, now more will switch due to Win 11 but many more will switch after SteamDeck raises peoples awareness of Linux and Game playing. What many don't realise is that MS wants to force everyone into the MS store (all home users require a MS account) and then at some later date MS will use its bitdefender etc to say ah, this program has not been verified by MS so you cannot run it, if you choose to ignore this warning, no more updates etc !

1. dak

And the irony is that by Windows 13 (3 versions after "the last Windows ever") it will probably be a Windows wrapper around a Linux kernel and GNU support structure.

1. jake Silver badge

Except they will copy Apple (as usual) and completely emasculate the GNU tool chain so you can't actually use it to do anything resembling admining your own system.

1. stiine Silver badge
            Facepalm

Are you telling me that they're currentl writing systemd-windowsd ? ah fuck.

1. jake Silver badge

Other way around, actually. The authors of the systemd-cancer have intentionally copied most of the bad bits of the registry-cancer.

2. drkvogel

I would love to, but music production apps, mainly Ableton Live... yes I know there's LMMS and Ardour etc, but nothing compares 2 Ableton... sigh

7. AMBxx Silver badge

Not until I can move the task bar to the right

I have a Surface Pro currently running Windows 11. It's a nice laptop/tablet but the keyboard is too close to the bottom of the screen for it to make any sense having the start button there. With Windows 10 I've always docked it to the right.

Looks like I'll be going back to 10 when the beta expires.

1. largefile

Re: Not until I can move the task bar to the right

You have the choice of centered left or right task bar. Right click on the task bar and there are quite a few options. Centered is the default on 11, left was default on 10. You are an outlier but it's easy to go right.

8. Roger Kynaston

I defenestrated myself a while back

First different flavours of linux and now a fruity M1. The boss lady still uses the beast of Redmond's output so I am not sure what to do when her X1 Carbon gives up the ghost as she will go nuts with copy and paste being messed up.

1. dak

Re: I defenestrated myself a while back

Why not break her in gently - the X1 runs Mint brilliantly.

2. Dave K

If you pop WinAero Tweaker on, you can set Windows 11 to always open the classic context menus by default. I imagine many more options will be added to dial-back some of MS's more contentious UI decisions as well...

3. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

If the argument against Linux is it's too different from Windows, then just point out to your wife Windows changes so much, might as well switch and only go nuts one time.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Linux

when a close relative's laptop (old Sony Vaio, still good IMBO) was having serious performance problems and probably needed a new hard drive, I put Devuan on a new hard drive on it, copying as many of the files and settings that I could. It WAS running Vista, and now, Devuan. Performance boost was IMMEDIATELY noticeable.

Since then NO major problems nor complaints. The learning curve was short, under an hour. I dare Win-10-nic or "Windows II" to be as easy.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Linux

Another Devuan user here. It runs on everything from an eeePC901 to a Raspberry Pi 4B

The last version of Windows I used was 95 - I utterly detested it and as soon as I no longer needed it for work, dropped back to RISC OS on the Archimedes series until Linux distros were sufficiently stable for general use.

This suits me fine, but there really is a distro for everyone, as shown by the other comentards here

9. AnotherName

Widest array?

"Available on the Widest Array of Choice in Devices" - except maybe the one that you actually own and/or use right now.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Re: Widest array?

I guess a more accurate statement would be:

"Available on the Widest Array of Choice Devices that you don't own"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I can answer the third question very easily.

"No."

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I can also answer the first question very easily.

"No."

12. ColonelClaw

Settings/Control Panel

What's the deal with the weird Settings living side-by-side with Control Panel panel thing we've been having to live with up until now? Did MS take the opportunity granted by a Full Version Upgrade to take one out the back and put it out of it's misery?

1. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Settings/Control Panel

Digging through settings during trouble-shooting feels quite like digital-archeology sometimes.

Well, I guess that's what they call technical debt.

Icon: that's my archeology coat. When I managed to get a proper hat, I will feel like Digital Indiana Jones in the Temple of Settings & Controls Doom

1. Adelio

I hate screens with just icons, at least show the text when i hover my mouse....

2. hoola Silver badge

One of the things that drives me nuts with the current Windows OS versions is where you make configuration changes and there is no confirmation. You click the stupid slider thing or whatever and then just the back arrow.

I know it is something to get used to but I much prefer on system gumpf to have a positive confirmation/cancel.

At least then you absolutely know that pressing "Cancel" returns it to the existing configuration.

2. theOtherJT Silver badge

Microsoft will never provide a clean and consistent Windows <pick a version number> because too much of their tech is built on massive creaking towers of legacy bullshit that no one remembers why it's there or if it's safe to remove.

I just had the good fortune to dig into some samba logs and try and work out why some (but not all) of our Windows 10 machines won't mount a particular network share. The actual answer still eludes me, but in my digging I discovered that a clean install of Windows 10 when you "net use" sends this to the server:

Requested protocol [PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0]

Requested protocol [LANMAN1.0]

Requested protocol [Windows for Workgroups 3.1a]

Requested protocol [LM1.2X002]

Requested protocol [LANMAN2.1]

Requested protocol [NT LM 0.12]

Requested protocol [SMB 2.002]

Requested protocol [SMB 2.???]

Yep. Windows for Workgroups is only the third oldest protocol it attempts to negotiate.

That's a clean install. Of Windows 10. I will bet real money right now that if I did the same thing from Windows 11 it would also try to invoke a network protocol that was deprecated over quarter of a century ago.

By contrast, doing the same thing from a OS11 Mac starts the negotiation at NTLM 0.12 - which frankly is still silly, but is at least better.

1. rmullen0

No wonder Windows file sharing always seemed so slow and didn't ever want to work right.

2. Joe W Silver badge

Windows gets used because businesses are stuck to their legacy applications. So Windows has to support those. Indefinitely.

Sucks to be in that spot, I'm pretty sure of they cut out 2/3 of the code that's only there for these old things we would see fewer breakage on patch Tuesday.

(and I care sweet f.a. having no Windows machine of my own - the company one is not my problem)

1. CountCadaver Silver badge

I'm just waiting for them to offer a subscription based "Microsoft Linux <insert marketing approved name> - Certified to run all your business critical applications turbocharged with the reliablity and security of OpenSource, <insert any current management buzzspeak i.e. blockchain, cloud etc etc>"

Which in essence will likely be based on Debian or RHEL with a microsoft translation layer built in

3. Irony Deficient

why some (but not all) of our Windows 10 machines won’t mount a particular network share

An ancient network share at Deficiency House only supports the SMB1 protocol. To get a Windows 10 machine to connect to it, the following steps were necessary:

• To detect whether SMB1 support is enabled under Windows 10, run get-windowsoptionalfeature -online -featurename smb1protocol in Windows PowerShell;
        • If it is disabled, then run enable-windowsoptionalfeature -online -featurename smb1protocol in Windows PowerShell, and cleanly restart the Windows 10 machine to complete its enabling.

Note that security is lessened when running Windows 10 with SMB1 support enabled. To disable SMB1 support under Windows 10 after a previous enabling, run disable-windowsoptionalfeature -online -featurename smb1protocol in Windows PowerShell, and cleanly restart the Windows 10 machine to complete its disabling.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: why some (but not all) of our Windows 10 machines won’t mount a particular network share

"An ancient network share at Deficiency House only supports the SMB1 protocol."

But does it support non-SMB protocols? I ran into that a few Debian/Devuan generations ago. Then I realised it also supported FTP. KDE's network share mechanism supports that. Maybe Window's does too.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Mushroom

I agree, 'Settings' should be NUKED FROM HIGH ORBIT (see icon) and have its ashes shot into the sun. Then there will be only ONE.

A classic (in a Windows XP/7 kinda way) Control Panel (especially with 3D Skeuomorphic controls) is preferred to that ELDRITCH ABOMINATION 'Settings' Crapp.

(who me? complain?)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you ungroup the taskbar icons?

1. Joe W Silver badge

Can you move the taskbar to the side of the screen?

No.

It would totally make sense, as the screen is much wider than tall.

Alas, no longer. All for being a cheap mac knockoff, with that stupid task bar menu thingy (ok, I don't like it, I actually hate the looks of it, but that's my taste, so gerroffmelawn!).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except on the Mac you *can* move the task bar to either side of the screen ....

2. Lipdorn

Deal breaker

"Can you move the taskbar to the side of the screen?

No."

Oh. That is a deal breaker for me.

2. Piro Silver badge

No. They're ruining Windows. It was a terrible feature in XP, and it's been terrible ever since. I always disable it.

1. stiine Silver badge

I run the 7 Taskbar Tweaker, on Win 10, to get a usable task bar back. i mainly use it to rearrange applications, and to get a clickable gap between the applications and system tray., and to turn off thumbnails.

14. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Available on the Widest Array of Choice in Devices,"

The apologists' play-book for that is not only already written, it's looking quite dog-eared: "only a small proportion of users....".

15. RLWatkins

More accurately, Microsoft has launched a new shell for the NT kernel today...

... along with some configuration changes intended to encourage users to purchase new hardware.

There is less here than meets the eye.

16. WolfFan Silver badge

That should be

An own-goal of Escobarian proportions, Andres Escobar being the footie player who scored an own goal during the 1994 World Cup… and who was killed when he, unwisely, returned to Columbia. A whole lot of systems are going to have MS products killed because of this…

1. DanceMan

Re: A whole lot of systems are going to have MS products killed

Which means more usable machines for Linux users.

17. cjcox

You would have moved away from Windows long ago.

Let's be honest, if it were "possible", people would have moved away from Windows long ago.

So for those that have not moved, will you choose to run Windows 11? Microsoft says, "you have NO choice."

1. eldakka

Re: You would have moved away from Windows long ago.

Let's be honest, if it were "possible", people would have moved away from Windows long ago.

So for those that have not moved, will you choose to run Windows 11? Microsoft says, "you have NO choice."

But you do have 4 years in which to make that choice. You don't have to choose now, stay on Win10 until 2025 during which time it is fuly supported by Microsoft.

It's been possible to move to Linux or FreeBSD or Mac for a long time now if you don't have apps that you need windows for, e.g. if you have to use MS Office rather than, say, LibreOffice, or IE/Edge rather than Firefox. Or games.

Sure, a techie or enthusiast might be able to work out virtualisation or emulation (wine, etc.) or dual-booting for their windows apps, but most people don't want that hassle, even if it's not that much of a hassle these days, it's still a hassle.

Many people don't 'need' those Windows-only apps, they just think they do for various reasons, such as afraid of change, marketing, or just not being technically literate so say things like "send me a word document" and think there is no other way, that you have to have word for word-processing, or Excel for spreadsheets etc. That's not their fault, as a computer to them is just a tool, like a hammer, pick it up and it should just work, and they know who to use it by rote, not because they know the process behind it works.

Also, Linux is easier to use today than it was 5 years ago and 5 years before that and 5 years before that. Therefore if someone looked into Linux 10 years ago, I can totally understand them being scared off forever. But the Linux of today - if you use a newer or desktop friendly distro - is not the Linux of 10 years ago (or even 5).

Non-enthusiasts and non-techies need a reason to change. If you've just bumbled along with windows, why change if there's no pressing need to? Most peole aren't going to change to just have a look, that's too much work, they usually don't have other computers they can use to experiment with. For them, experimenting means using their current computer to experiment with, and if it doesn't work out, having to revert (again, non-techie, so booting from a USB without installing probably doesn't occur to them, etc.) back to windows is then a pain a the waste of a week or two.

But for some people, changes to Windows 11 may give them that reason. But for many, it won't. But just because they don't have that reason, doesn't mean Linux or other OSes couldn't do what they want, the inertia is just too big, the learning curve isn't actually very big if you use a windows-like distro, but why bother with ANY learning curve when the windows you have now works fine?

My personal position is I use Windows 10 for desktop/gaming, and Linux (Gentoo) for a NAS/server I have. I am planning on sticking with Win10 for the foreseeable future, as I don't see any advantages to me of Win11. I currently have an AMD 3700X and X570 motherboard (which I got in 2017 with an 1800X), which I am planning on replacing with a complete new build (not upgrading, already done that with the CPU and GPU once) when prices become sane again (so unlikely before the 2nd half of 2022, if then), at which point I can experiment with Linux on this new, second computer while still having my current computer to use for actually doing things while I work out if I can game on Linux with Proton. Everything else I do I can already do on Linux, it's just the gaming element that has had me dragging my feet. If that doesn't work out, I can put Windows 11 on it. But whatever I do, it's not a decision I have to make for 1 (best case) to 2 years.

18. trevorde Silver badge
    Linux

Surely, this year ...

... will be the 'Year of the Linux Desktop' ??!!

Unhappy

Re: Surely, this year ...

sadly the frog in the hot water has not noticed that he is close to being cooked...

(whereas it is obvious to the rest of us)

2. MrTuK

Re: Surely, this year ...

Could be the year of the SteamDeck which could have some interesting Linux fallout due to it !

19. Doctor Trousers

it's going to be a long time before i'll have any reason to use windows 11. i only boot into windows for a couple of specific things, which is music production, and software for flashing firmware on various devices. i use linux mint for everything else. i expect i won't even see a computer running windows 11 until someone brings me one to fix.

1. Chris G

It'll be the fill 5 years for me, my 2 year PC does not comply with TP2.0

The five years of stated support suggests that MS is uncertain regarding the rate and volume of upgraders, so they have time and space to back pedal, and/or revamp bits of 11. If uptake improves they will shorten the support time and if it doesn't, expect to see an 11.1 or a 12.0 going by past performances.

My next bit of kit will definitely be whatever the current flavour of Mint is when I buy it.

20. LenG

The new Win 7

Windows 10 will be supported until sometime in 2025 and I am betting that at that stage there will still be more Win 10 users than Win 11. Win 7 reached EOL at the beginning of 2020 and in August this year still had 16% of the Windows users. On that basis I figure I am good on Win 10 until the end of the decade.

1. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Re: The new Win 7

More importantly does this mean that they will stop messing around with windows 10 and just do security updates ?

4 years of stability would be nice

Still using window 7 here....

2. Piro Silver badge

Re: The new Win 7

LTSC 2019 will be supported until 2029, if you need Windows 10.

Server 2022 will be running for a few years after that, and it's Windows 10 based...

21. Patched Out

Short answer is "No".

Long answer is "Hell no!" Between the loss of Start Menu functionality and loss of Right-click context menu functionality, I don't want anything to do with Windows 11. Why do the GUI devs always seem to think more clicks are better?

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Short answer is "No".

Why do the GUI devs always seem to think more clicks are better?

Because they're from the Tap and drag generation? Not the click and work generation? Round peg, square hole.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Windows 10, which has evolved into a pretty good platform over the years"

Did it? After all these years it still looks "unfinished". It is usable - for some meaning of usable - but I won't call it a pretty good platform. It runs Windows application so when you can forget the OS it's not a problem - but many administration tasks became cumbersome because of the fixation with "touch controls" and "simplified window" and never really improved. Betting that more and more use just fire up a browser and forget the rest. Unluckily, that's true only in the empty heads of Microsoft marketdroids and executives.

People moved to it only because 7 support ended. Otherwise they would see a large number of users still using it.

Thumb Up

Re: "Windows 10, which has evolved into a pretty good platform over the years"

(see icon)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Windows 10, which has evolved into a pretty good platform over the years.

Not been my experience. I thought they were follow the second law of thermodynamics and were granularly falling apart at the seams.

A few years back I bought a nice sleek i7 powered "ultrabook" or what ever the format is called. Sure beat carting a mobile workstation around with me - requirements had changed.

When I bought it everything worked, well for a given value of worked, we are talking about Windows here.

First they screwed up the disk encryption stuff. Most updates required decrypting the disk, do the update, then encrypt it all again. Fine, switched to MS' solution.

Then after a while updates would start to break other stuff.

DHCP then starts to play up, usually it works but every now and then it sulks. I can see the DHCP packets on the network, but it just ignores them. I can often go to a different Wi-Fi network hanging off the same DHCP server and it will work.

Then the finger print reader for logins. That stopped working. The driver works fine and if I go into the screens in set up to reconfigure the login settings it uses the finger print reader to validate me. Just refuses to do it for logins.

Next it decided it wasn't going to connect to the mobile network, The SIM works fine, but no it won't connect nor will it tell me why not.

So, no I don't feel it is evolving into a good platform, rather it is gaining entropy, atrophying, or like me, just getting old.

Oh, and don't get me onto bloody updates

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As usually happens, down vote anyone who complains its broken rather than try and fix the shit.

23. Mr D Spenser

Waiting for at least Windows 11.1

I run older kit that is quite capable of running Windows 11 but not shiny enough to be supported. Linux doesn't care so that is what I run on it with Win10 confined to a VM. I would bet that if 6 months from now the Windows 11 adoption rate is in single digits, MS will release Win 11.1 that will magically be more backward compatible (and start forcing upgrades from Win 10.)

24. Duncan Macdonald

Easy ways to avoid Windows 11

The following methods should stop a Windows 10 installation being converted to Windows 11

1) Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS - W11 requires it, W10 does not care

2) Disable TPM if you do not use it (Bitlocker and some other programs require it)

3) Use Linux instead !!

Systems with older CPUs should be safe from W11 but M$ might add support sometime in the future

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy ways to avoid Windows 11

Yeah, lower your system security because you fear an update... easy and stupid way.

2. Dazed and Confused

Why disable secure boot if you're planning to run Linux?

My Linux systems run quite happily with secure boot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because most people don't understand security and simply hate Microsoft because they was told it makes them look smart.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'because they (-were-) told it makes them look smart'.

they - plural.

were-plural, was is singular.

"he was, they were"

And yes, I do prefer Linux.

1. jake Silver badge

One wonders if a pedant should be able to get away with starting a sentence with a coordinating conjunction. We refuse to stoop to the level of pointing out the obvious lack of proper sentence structure, extremely poor punctuation, and missing capitalization.

3. Kevin Johnston

I have a much simpler method thanks to an odd option from my ISP

In the ISP-supplied router there is a 'think of the children' option where I can restrict internet access for defined IP Addresses/Machine names. I run my Win10 in a VM with it's own IP Address which can only connect to the internet between 04:15 and 04:30 when by a stroke of sanity I am tucked up in bed getting some well-earned sleep.

My Linux host runs perfectly with full internet access, my Win10 VM does what it is told whilst being restricted to the local network whenever I launch it to run Windows only software and I have no worries that an update will creep in behind my back

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you even WANT to run it?

Will you be able NOT to run it...

26. toxicdragon

Linux for gaming?

Not technically off topic but general question. I am curious about windows 11 but I am more leaning towards linux these days, I mainly game however and using steam on linux there are very few actual games. Im curious if its a viable alternative now, if wine or similar is much easier to set up than it used to be.

1. CountCadaver Silver badge

Re: Linux for gaming?

Proton might cover you

"Proton is a compatibility layer for Microsoft Windows games to run on Linux-based operating systems. Proton is developed by Valve in cooperation with developers from CodeWeavers under contract."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_(software)

2. CAPS LOCK

The Steam Deck is running Linux. Games will follow.

3. MrTuK

Grab a spare SSD of say 128gb, Download POP-OS from System76 choosing NVidia GPU or non-NVidia GPU, put the iso onto a USB, replace said SSD with whats in your current system, boot USB in the usual way either EFI or BIOS and install, Complete the user and password setup, set your time/location ignore most other stuff. When installing get it to do updates while installing. Now you have a working Linux system, goto the pop-shop and and install Steam - enter your current details - Steam doesnt care what you use, all games are allowed to be played on all platforms with your account. Before installing any games goto setting and enable Steamplay for all supported titles. Goto protondb.com to check if its ok in Proton which is Steam play and what version is best for a particular game you own. If you have a large game library then you can install onto a second disk or use a decent sizes one (1TB) in the first place.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

from the beeb:

Mr Panay (Mr MS) said the team had learned from Windows 8, which got rid of the start menu entirely, upsetting many users.

"You learn from that, of course, and then you adapt," he said.

"You get this confidence of learning from history," he added.

For Windows 11, "the Start button is right there. It's right in the middle of the screen. It's not gone."

Confidence of learning from history: It's right in the middle of the screen

28. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

Ah, the joy of Microsoft's auto-evaluation

Your PC will need a minimum of

- 1 Ghz CPU yes, if you want to do your computing at the speed of an anemic snail

- 4 GB of RAM yes, but that's just for loading Windows, if you want to actually use it, you'll need at least 4 more

- 64 GB storage yes, for loading Windows - you'll need another 500GB for the updates, then you'll need another disk for the files you actually work with

And besides, who today sells a 64GB disk ? If you buy an HDD, the minimum on sale is 300GB. For an SSD, it's 120GB.

I am aware that there are a lot of people who just read email and surf YouTube. They can do that on a tablet. If you're buying a PC or a laptop, it's because you have stuff to do on it and, in that case, 4GB of RAM is just asking for the pain.

1. Chris G

Re: Ah, the joy of Microsoft's auto-evaluation

Who wants to surf Youtube on a crapoy littlle tablet?

I mostly use my pc now for email, surfing and writing, I also do a bit of photography and occasionally want edit a couple of pics.

None of those things do I want do on a tablet, I have two that live in a cupboard so that I have something to travel with, but I hate touch screens, even though I use my phone a lot.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Windows

Re: occasionally want edit a couple of pics

You, sir, are not the average Windows user. Of course you need a PC.

I hate touchscreens as well, especially my phone.

Nobody puts their grubby mitts on my screens - not if they want to keep their fingers intact.

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"You can do that on a tablet."

Getting rid of the iPad (eventually getting rid of all Apple), I wanted a tablet with Linux, but as I understand it the touchscreen wouldn't work. So for a "tablet" I just bought an ASUS L210 with exactly 1GHz CPU, 4G RAM, 64 GB SSD. With a Celeron processor and no TPM it doesn't meet the other W11 requirements, but for me Linux was the point anyway. It works great for tablet tasks - email, web browsing, taking notes. Right-clicking with the trackpad is a little fussy. An actual keyboard has both pluses and minuses.

It's not just me. Check out popularity on Amazon, this is one of their top sellers -- although if they are keeping Windows 10 then they bought a three-legged dog. I nuked the W10 partitions, MX Linux needed only about 6 GB, it's not like I will be putting gcc on this thing, so 64 GB is plenty. CPU and RAM are great as well, under Linux. :)

Devil

I've seen some 'droid slablets with detachable keyboards. maybe you could put Linux on one... (or just use the 'droid OS)

3. Dusty

Remember, It wasn't that long ago that clicking on a download link would still advise you that the DL might take <So much time> at 56K...

29. cob2018

Answers to questions

No.

No.

F*** NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm one of the cantankerous old b???ards who left the Rubbish From Redmond behind years ago. The last iteration of the virus masquerading as an OS that I dealt with was Windoze 7 ( forced upon me by the final employer before retirement ) and then, no more than absolutely necessary.

I rode the RedHat/CentOS train for years ( through version 5 ) and when that went EOL moved over to Linux Mint. My computers come out of recycle bins and such ( eBay at times ) and do everything that I want while leaving the hassle and pain behind.

Of course, YMMV, but if you don't look you won't see the alternatives.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ummm no

I’m not really a hardcore windows guy. Tried Mac about 10 years ago.. didn’t get on with it and bare metal installed windows ;-) but I just keep soldiering on because it’s convenient.

Well… it’s no longer convenient. Printing buggered. Start menu buggered. Guess what a raspberry pi found my printer right out of the box and the menus are in the right place!

My corporate pc is win10 and only 2 years old but won’t run win11… and my gaming rig is a unlocked i7 2600k which can keep up with most modern pcs… but ms dictate it’s too old.

It’s almost time to move to Linux.. as soon as steam works properly and I can be bothered to get out of OneDrive…

1. MrTuK

Re: Ummm no

Check protondb.com is all your games are there ! Then jump !

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Ummm no

Steam is going to work properly, Steam Deck will run on Linux.

31. Binraider Silver badge

Given the NT "shell" is to a certain extent interchangable, here's a suggestion. Why not have MS give us options of every shell they've done? Oh wait, that would reduce opportunities to slurp.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Meh (11) has arrived !!!

Question:

Microsoft's problem child, Windows 11, is here.

Will you run it? Can you run it? Do you even WANT to run it?

Answer(s):

No.

No.

No.

Thank you for your time !!! :)

Please do ask the same questions when Window 12 comes around ... as it surely will !!!

33. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Facepalm

You will

enjoy your new windows 11 upgrade. whether you want your PC upgraded or not

Because once the initial bugs of the roll out have been tested on the beta users sorry those that have compatable computers, then the hardware requirements will be relaxed and the dialog will appear that says

"Do you want your computer upgraded to windows 11?"

And you click yes, it installs windows 11, you click no, it installs windows 11 , you click on the close dialog button, it installs windows 11. you use the task manager to shut down the dialog , it installs windows 11

And then your 7 million pound MRI scanner is rendered useless as the driver software was written for windows 10....

I have enough crap from windows 10 and playing the "hide the setting dialog" game the UI designers played without having to go through it all again.

Glad I run linux mint on the other PC... the one used for serious work and not games like my win10 box

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame on you Microsoft. Windows 11=1 billion PC's of landfill crud, for absolutely no reason.

Shame on you Microsoft. Windows 11 will indeed, create 1 billion PC's of landfill crud, for absolutely no reason.

Contrary to the misinformaton put out last month, Microsoft have indeed, put in place last minute 'hard blocks' to prevent an update on older hardware, that doesn't meet specifications. for installs attempted from an ISO/Media Creation Tool Image.

Having tested this, this morning. Out the box, the Windows 11 ISO released on 05/10/20 blocks installs on older hardware when running setup from Windows 10, using a mounted ISO and when booting the USB Bootable version of the Windows 11 ISO, to attempt a fresh install.

Folks, Microsoft doesn't want you installing this without buying a new PC, that much is clear. Windows and older macs has become nothing but hassle/tedious process in terms of upgrading. So many bloody hoops to jump through for absolutely no reason, to get a new and shiny user interface that offers the end user nothing in terms of real world productiviely.

The only way this abusive relationship will change, is if there is a mass movement/consensus to jump ship to Linux, Linux is good enough "to the do the drudge", without the hassle. Linux biggest problem is the lack of advertising/marketing budget to match Microsoft/Apple to get that message out that it can.

But for those in the industry, it's time we did.

Enough of these abusive relationships.

1. MrTuK

Re: Shame on you Microsoft. Windows 11=1 billion PC's of landfill crud, for absolutely no reason.

Agree 100%, sadly its the non-techie people out there that will dictate to everyone else what will be used because those are the people that dont touch anything in setting and just use as is, use the default browser, user the default search engine, think back to Internet Explorer it was CR@P but it was the most dominant browser ! Same will happen with Win 11. But just maybe Steam Deck can change this even if only just a little !

2. johnmc

Re: Shame on you Microsoft. Windows 11=1 billion PC's of landfill crud, for absolutely no reason.

On release day go down to your local BestBuy and hand out free CDs of your Linux of choice as people approach the door. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or just give them a perfectly worded template letter, on how to oppose their local council's proposed new landfill site at the end of their garden, to accomodate the 1 billion+ PC's destined for landfill as a by product of Windows 11.

That would certainly be 'hit home' and be more useful than a new Windows 11 PC will ever be to them, over what they use already 'to do the drudge', because that's all Windows is good for today, 'drudge'. The same 'drudge' that was done with XP, Win7, Win8.1 and Win10, all of which can be done with Linux using the same MS condemned hardware destined for landfill. giving it a new lease of life.

Show them that using artificial contraints aka. to sell 'new and shiny' has consequences.

35. Juha Meriluoto

Problems with Window$?

I've never had any. Formatting the hard drive has always got rid of it.

36. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Our simple plan - continue running that mangey-dog Win10 (which really isn't that great) until we can no longer put off moving to 11. Then retire.

37. thatwasit

0 excitement

I have a small local only computer bus.

Have mentioned Windows 11 to many customers. Not a single one is interested in trying it. Especially when i tell them how the hardware requirements have changed. Still have 4 years of Windows 10. By then several said they will have switched to a different operating system.

38. phands

Stopped using Windoze completely in 2001....

I switched to what was a very immature Linux (SuSE 5.1) in late 1997, and went dual-OS for a while. In 2001, I opted out of windoze altogether - staying with Linux ever since. I've had to test software on all versions of windoze and Mac OS as well, but I use Linux to get work done. There is just no need for W11, and from what I've seen from the insider testing I've been running for a few months, it's a total mess. There is no compelling new feature that makes it a "must-have" upgrade, and the TPM 2.0 requirement is a positive disadvantage. Even the so-called gaming focus is a lie, with performance dropping quite a bit in many cases.

Even if they do get it secured with TPM, it'll still likely be vulnerable to a malicious GIF or font file. Windows needs to go away.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is this Windoze you speak of?

I ditched M$ after Win 7 was dispatched. I got tired of the GUI shuffle for no effect, Updates that were well useful, etc. Then considering that 80% of my business is now done thru a Browser, well it just did not see worth the effort to continue the OS chase. Moved to Linux Mint XFCE and have been running ever since. Things just work, updates on my schedule, etc.

40. johnmc

Has anyone considered.....

... That maybe Microsoft has been sending a message and users keep ignoring it?

Programmer: "There I moved this over there, and the copy paste is borked."

Project Lead: "Great!"

Programmer: "You think this will make users quit?"

Project Lead: "Hope so. Ever since we flushed the Desktop unit they cut our support budget."

Seriously folks, Microsoft does not want to be in the desktop business anymore and it shows.

41. Blackjack Silver badge

I don't even run Windows 10 but then again I do not have a job that forces me to use Windows like a lot of people does.

42. Piro Silver badge

Could at they at least finish windows 10?

Windows 10 was never finished, and still lacks the cohesive design of 7. Microsoft have just been going from fail to fail after 7, in my opinion.

11 looks awful, and the limitations are artificial and astounding. Their reasons are also terrible "clock will crash more often" - are you telling me that after all these years, you can't write a simple clock application that won't crash?

That says a lot more about them than the hardware.

43. largefile

Windows 11 on all three of my computers, no problems.

I'm running various builds fo Windows 11 on two laptops and a desktop. No problems, after a couple of months now, the GUI changes are enjoyable. I especially like the new context menus and you can still get the old context menu by selecting "more choices" in the new menu.

It's snappier and cleaner for me than my Win 10 installs were.

No problems....go Microsoft!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows 11 on all three of my computers, no problems.

How's your opposition to the proposed new council landfill site at the end of your garden coming along? Did Windows 11 help in that regard, in terms of writing letters?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows 11 on all three of my computers, no problems.

Did you forget the /S or the "joke" icon? Just asking.

44. arachnoid2

GUI

Well… remember how windows 8 bombed with its “ innovative” interface. It looks like 3rd party software developers are going to be busy bringing in the “ old look” of windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: GUI

Certainly Brad Sams (thurrott.com) seems to think so, having recently switch jobs in that direction.

2. Wincerind

Re: GUI

As long as OpenShell runs on it (assuming you can afford the hardware). Still running an XP style menu on my Win10 box.

45. Potemkine! Silver badge

What's the point?

What would convince me to buy a (costly) new hardware, at a time when shortages make things even more expensive?

Windows with round corners? A centered taskbar? Come on, it's a joke, isn't it?

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'll never fly.

I've just started looking around for a new laptop for the wife (around £500-£600).

Basically nothing in this price bracket I've found so far has TPM at all, let alone TPM 2.0.

So regardless of the processor they won't be running Windows 11.

So yes, my prediction is that 11 will be a big flop. Folks will manage with the hardware they already have and stick with 10 (or whatever) or won't pay vast sums for the hardware that will run 11.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Most CPU's released after 2014 contain a TPM module in the CPU itself so you don't need a separate bit of hardware, but it's never explicitly mentioned because (until now) it didn't matter.

47. RyokuMas
    Unhappy

Would love to jump ship, but...

I would love to make the jump away from Windows - if only to find out what the alternatives are (other than "getting a Mac"), but I keep hitting one key issue:

Every time I have tried to install Linux on one of my old laptops, something has gone wrong which the guide I have been following has not covered; trying to diagnose this subsequently has usually involved a degree of hardware or configuration knowledge beyond that which I have, or some kind of information which I would have been able to locate through Windows prior to the attempted Linnux installation, but I cannot obtain on the half-installed machine.

The community support I have received tends to be of little help - largely a mixture of elitism ("I've never had problems installing Linux") and pedantry ("Did you make sure the machine worked before trying the install?").

So yeah, I'm pretty much stuck with Windows - I'm loathe to even buy a machine with it pre-installed in case something goes wrong and I end up with something I can't fix...

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Re: Would love to jump ship, but...

In all honesty the best I've found is Ubuntu, which even supports the Apple wired keyboard (a must in our house).

Failing that, is Mandriva still going in some form? Traditionally that was the one that worked for me where nothing else would. I've also found Fedora will install on some machines that Ubuntu throws a hissy fit over, and vice versa.

2. breakfast Silver badge

I used Linux on the desktop for years and in the end I went back to Windows because I realised I was spending so much time trying to get things working (it's always hard, the tools for even quite common things like audio management or running laptop 3d accelerators are niche, awkward to configure and confusing, and the documentation is usually out of date or nonexistent) that it simply isn't worth it for me these days as a desktop OS.

The observation that Linux is only free if your time has no value remains painfully true.

1. jake Silver badge

The observation the a basic education is free only if your time has no value remains painfully true.

48. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Unhappy

The quote "over-promising and under-delivering have long been a thing where Windows is concerned" is spot on. Although I think "Windows" should probably be replaced with "Microsoft" myself.

Windows 11 will be on my new works PC I'm sure. I wonder how badly the new VBS will mess up Visual Studio. No doubt there will be "workarounds" that MS will be keen to hide away on some obscure page in their website, that I'll only find by searching for how to turn off some new whizzy-spinny motion-sickness-inducing animation or other that's completely unrelated but annoying. Sigh

49. nautica Silver badge
    Boffin

Easiest survey ever.

"Microsoft's problem child, Windows 11, is here. Will you run it? Can you run it? Do you even WANT to run it?"

No.

Don't know.

NO.

1. Zarno
      Coat

Re: Easiest survey ever.

Pretty sure we all want to run from it.

Can't run fast enough...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Easiest survey ever.

Nah. I stand my ground and watch it slink off into the shadows, from which it never bothers me again.

50. Wincerind

I'm looking for a bit of insight from someone here.

Currys are selling Dell Inspirons with a "free Windows 11 upgrade"

Dell's chatbot tells me none of the Inspiron range have a TPM chip fitted.

So which one is mistaken?

Probably have a compatible TPM in the CPU so no TPM chip required. Problem is, most of the time it's disabled in the BIOS by default.

Check if the CPU has PTT (If Intel) or fTPM (AMD)

51. Byron "Jito463"

In answer to the questions

In sequence:

No

Yes

No

I'll probably have to get used to it, because of my work, but I don't plan to upgrade my personal machine for a long time. Thankfully, my Ryzen 1800x isn't officially supported on 11, so I shouldn't have to worry about MS trying to force an upgrade on me.

52. Happy Lemming

Just wait

Out of the dozen or so computers around here, there are three that probably qualify for Windows 11. That's one out of four, a fail by most definitions. So we will wait for Microsoft to smarten up and support older hardware.

No need to panic.

1. Patched Out
      Facepalm

Re: Just wait

That gives me every reason to panic. I'm relying on my comuter not meeting the hardware requirements to PREVENT installation of Windows 11.

53. orlbuckeye

Yes i'm an Insider and love it. It's faster and better snap functionality. It will soon run Android apps. One PC will run it and other won't. I will keep WIndows 10 as main on it. I use Linux in VM if i want to try them out. They don't compare. Tried many Distros.

'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Far better to run it the other way around, Windows 10 as VM under Linux because you know already which one will be unsupported long before Linux is unsupported.

2. Updraft102

Windows doesn't measure up to KDE Plasma by a long shot. I want to do things the way I want... if I didn't, I probably would have gone to "you're holding it wrong" Apple. Using WIndows feels antiquated and annoying by comparison.

Android apps? Been running those on Linux for a while now. Can easily be done on Windows (all versions) too. It's a cute feature that saves the few minutes of installing an emulator, but how about that old feature people have been requesting for 6 years now... full update control? How about a master OFF for telemetry on all versions (and not that malicious compliance thing that enterprise versions have that doesn't even turn it all the way off)?

How about letting the user decide what colors will be used? Not just one of "light" or "dark" mode, but anything else, the way Windows had from the beginning through XP, and partially in Vista and 7 (if one used basic themes)? I've never liked dark mode, but white backgrounds are not compatible with my eyes. It's such a basic thing, but it's missing.

The march toward the phone-oriented "settings" rather than the superior Control Panel continues, even though MS gave up on phones. So few options compared to what there used to be, except sometimes it tosses you back to the good old Control Panel applets anyway (so what's the point?).

Windows 10 is the OS that made Windows 8 look good to me. Yes, it had a goofy UI at first, but it was fixable with aftermarket mods. Windows 10... it's a lost cause, especially when a new version comes along every 6 months, and you have to redo all the modifications.

So now there is Windows 11, and the additional restrictions and deleted features makes Windows 10 look good, which is a very impressive feat in itself.

Windows 8 was when Windows jumped the shark, and it's only gotten worse.

54. boatsman

win 10 or better....

penguins at your service

55. Trigun

Although my new kit will support windows 11, I'll be holding off on upgrading until they sort the GPU side of things. If I need to refer to windows 11 I've got it on my laptop.

56. imanidiot Silver badge

Will you run it? Can you run it? Do you even WANT to run it?

Not until I can no longer avoid it. Probably but I can't be arsed to find out. Not really but see the first answer.

57. This post has been deleted by its author

58. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Problem child?

At #11? Gawd help us when it's a proper teenager

59. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

My gaming PC is an 8 core AMD, pre Ryzen. I wonder if Win 11 will work.. Obviously it would have to be a free upgrade from 10, or it's not on.

Unless you have a hardware TPM, no. Pre-Ryzen gen 2 AMD CPUs don't have fTPM

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

ok, I'll have to check if I have TPM.

I can live with being stuck on Win 10, as long as the few games (simulators) work, and drivers work.

60. AceGrace

They do. My Ryzen 7 1700 has fTPM. It gets past the TPM check but not the CPU check.

61. Andy3

But do we have any choice? Or will I get up one morning and find my PC running like a dead slug, unusable until it has finished mucking about? It's bad enough with some of the W10 updates!

62. hatless_saguaro

No, I don't want to run it.

We were warned in 2013 (In a Master's Thesis at Hochschule Hannover) that the combination of UEFI Secure Boot + TPM 2.0 would allow Microsoft to restrict the rights of the consumer.

Microsoft can implement their Walled Garden / DRM wet dream without me.

63. Updraft102

"As of yesterday there was Windows 10, which has evolved into a pretty good platform over the years."

No, it hasn't. Everything that made people avoid it six years ago is still in it. It still forces updates. It still has no OFF for telemetry. It still is a vehicle for whatever cockamamie scheme for monetization MS can come up with. It still can't decide if it is an OS for phones or for PCs, even years after MS quit with the phone efforts.

Windows 11 isn't any better, and is in some ways worse. I left Windows in late 2015 because of where "MIcrosoft wanted to go today" with my PC, and I sure don't see any reason to come back now. Win 11 is just another confirmation that my move to Linux was the right one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like