back to article Internet Archive's 2046 Wayforward Machine says Google will cease to exist

The Internet Archive has launched a campaign against tech regulation by setting up a Wayforward Machine, semi-parodying its famous Wayback Machine archiving site. The Wayforward Machine paints a picture of the internet in 2046 – smeared with censorship, regulation, governmental interference, and more. On typing in any well- …

1. DJV Silver badge

"Google was a word in a dictionary not many people had heard of"

Google was never a word in the dictionary until Google came along as a misspelling of "Googol."

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: "Google was a word in a dictionary not many people had heard of"

Of course not many people had heard the word, it was in a diccionary that misprinted "Googol".

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

You win the prize

Yeah, yeah, you know what we meant. It wasn't in people's lexicon. I've fixed that. Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.com if you spot something wrong.

C.

1. Annihilator

Re: You win the prize

It was still so outside of people's lexicon in 2001 that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire deemed it obscure enough to famously (infamously?) make it a million pound question.

3. PRR Silver badge
      IT Angle

Re: "Google was a word in a dictionary not many people had heard of"

> Google was never a word in the dictionary until...

In the USA, we knew Google since 1919. Every day in the funny pages. He did lay low when that Search started, but since 2012 makes occasional visits with his horse Sparkplug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_Google_and_Snuffy_Smith#Barney_Google

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This week Google sent me an email saying they were downgrading my Google login account to "child" with intrinisic restrictions.

"For a more age-appropriate experience, Google has changed some of your settings because you aren't confirmed to be over 18.

If you're 18 or older you can verify your age when you check your settings.

"

To verify my age I have to give them my credit card details for them to do a nominal validation transfer. The email looks genuine - but I am not touching that verification process with a bargepole.

1. Chris G

I have had YouTube demanding the same to access 18+ content from my phone which is synced with my PC where I never get requests like that.

Fuck Google/YouTube, I can live without them.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Fuck Google/YouTube

I'm sorry sir, but first you have to prove you are 18+.

===

Google have been tracking most of use for over 18 years now. They should know how old we all are. I received an invite to have a gmail account very soon after it entered beta. That is not far off 18 years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Google has been reading your emails since then.

They are aware that you have not in fact, grown up.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
            Holmes

Of course I haven't, and I've no intention of ever doing so.

2. Snowy Silver badge
          Mushroom

My mums phone keeps saying "Account action needed enter you birthday" and after talking to me we both agree they are not getting it.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
            Joke

What's wrong with 1/1/1970? or maybe 29/2/1900?

1. T. F. M. Reader

@Phil O'Sophical: why the joke icon? I always use 1/1/1970 if I can't avoid giving my DOB and don't think the real one is needed.

Makes me younger, too...

2. Psmo
              Boffin

Because then they might require it as an access check, and freeze your account when you have no proofs that can corroborate that DOB.

I've just created my first non-throwaway GMail account with my real DOB, as it's on a work device that I don't want to lose...

3. DoctorNine

Ever since the 'Google Account' thing first started, I've given them my 1/1/1901 birthday, and they've never as much as sneezed. My first reason to sign up was when they used to host Usenet.

Ahh.. the memories...

4. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

did that, but now Google demands my home address too. Shall I put "Downing Street No. 10" or "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Washington, DC 20500"?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
                Coat

I'm a policeman, so my address is 999 Letsbee Avenue.

...runs...

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

It's spelled Letsby.

2. Cuddles

I generally go with 1060 West Addison.

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
                  Trollface

I usually go with No1 Sinkplaats Rd, Pompiesfontein.

2. Mage Silver badge
      Big Brother

Login account to "child" with intrinisic restrictions.

It's a Google scam to get personal details. I discovered you can reset the settings Google changed.

-

Another annoyance is Google locking access if you use a different IP address!

!

Sign-in attempt was blocked

****************@gmail.com

Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened.

Check activity

You can also see security activity at

https://myaccount.google.com/notifications

-

Completely idiotic.

-

-

Another scam is Twitter locking your account for "violations".

But then you have to fill in the privacy stealing & USA Cultural Google captcha and give them a mobile number to receive a code to unlock. However there is a form where you can appeal and then they claim it was an automated software mistake. They never say what was violated and unlock the account without getting a phone number. This will happen multiple times. You only get any email when you start the appeals procedure. Web Forms have to be filled in twice.

1)

We’re writing to let you know that your account has been flagged for unusual behavior that violates the Twitter Rules, and has been locked until you take the following steps:

You’ll see a message about your account, and a prompt to click “Start.”

Select your country/region, and then enter your phone number.

Click “Send code.”

You’ll receive a message from Twitter with a confirmation code.

Enter the code you receive on the prompt screen. You’ll receive a confirmation. Please note, it may take a few minutes for your account to be completely unlocked.

If you’re still experiencing a problem after confirming your identity, respond to this message and provide us with more details about what’s happening.

Please note, repeat violations of the Twitter Rules can lead to a permanent suspension of your account.

Thanks,

Twitter

2)

Hello,

We’re writing to let you know that your account is now unlocked. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

A little background: We have systems that find and remove automated spam Twitter accounts, and it looks like yours was flagged as spam by mistake. This can happen if an account exhibits automated behavior in violation of our rules.

We apologize for the mixup, and hope to see back on Twitter soon.

If you need to get in touch with us again, please file a report through your Twitter app or our forms page, as this account isn’t monitored for replies.

Thanks,

Twitter

3. b0llchit Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

They succeeded to eradicate the book

It would have been a joke if it was a far fetched scenario. The problem is that many "outrageous" changes to laws, policy and commerce are more plausible than you'd expect. And that is the real danger here.

Many small changes in the wrong direction will exactly result in the described scenario. One step makes the next step logical/acceptable/plausible from the public and policy maker's perspective. The lobby groups will work overtime and the general public is misled by newspeak. We've already seen a (small) taste of the the unword discussions on the internet.

1. Horst U Rodeinon
      Big Brother

Re: They succeeded to eradicate the book

There is also the ridiculous notion, at least in the U.S., that a congress critter's performance is a function of the number of bills they (co-)author.

2. Nightkiller

Re: They succeeded to eradicate the book

The problem with these predictions is that people read them and then subconsciously start to work towards fulfilling them.

4. Cybersaber

Hmmm... decisions decisions

Government overreach and google and farcebook die...

Ouch, that's a toughie. At least I can vote out a government, though. I'd have to get back to you on this one...

1. Blazde Silver badge

Re: Hmmm... decisions decisions

You can't vote out a government on your own though. That's the tricky thing with democracy.

2. G40

> vote out a government

And there are a lot of people working very hard to impede your abilities in that domain as well …

3. steelpillow Silver badge

Social media companies and totalitarian governments represent opposite ends of a spectrum. Sanity lies in a third corner, where nobody gets to suck up anybody else's privacy or call their shots.

Set them at each other's throats and let them knock each other out, I say.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Social media companies and totalitarian governments represent opposite ends of a spectrum"

Actually they are almost identical if we consider the fundamental principle they both espouse. They both want to control us for their own advantage.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Leave out totalitarian and we can agree.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

At the rate things are going there will be no Internet if 230 is allowed to stand. Speech without liability is chaos and subverts any order.

1. Geez Money

Seriously? Safe harbour is the end of the civilized world?

2. Horst U Rodeinon
            Flame

"At the rate things are going there will be no Internet if 230 is allowed to stand. Speech without liability is chaos and subverts any order."

Uh-huh. And which tribe of lawyers do you represent?

4. Primus Secundus Tertius

When elections are decided by "first past the post", you can indeed vote against someone. But in many places they have "proportional representation", whereby the voters go through the motions and then the politicians take the real decisions on what sort of carve-up will do for the time being.

1. Steve Graham

We have both systems in the UK. With FPTP for Westminster, a party that two-thirds of the voters oppose can form a government. With a form of Proportional Representation, Single Transferable Vote, used for the devolved assemblies of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, you vote for individual candidates. Your idea of the politicians carving things up without regard to the voters sounds like some of the list-based versions of PR. I don't care much for those myself, but they aren't a necessary consequence of PR.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

The Assemblies don't use STV, the councils use STV - and only in Scotland and NornIrn. The Assemblies use AMS.

2. Irongut

Hello Mr Tory politician. Proportional representation is actually much more democratic than FPTP but I wouldn't expect you to admit that since you would lose elections.

I vote in both types of elections and in 30 years have never, ever voted in or out a government via FPTP. I have however managed to get candidates, parties and even governments I wanted from PR.

1. W.S.Gosset

PR is the preferred mechanism for would-be elites because it takes power out of the hands of the loathsome vulgar voters and creates a privileged class who can then concentrate on playing political games amongst themselves.

The way the party systems have been hijacked by parasites is bad enough as it is.

Australia's system works quite well. First past the post of a majority (ie, min 50% required), where votes are accumulated via iterative fail-through of a descending-preference list per voter. Has all the uncluttered-mandate advantages of FPTP *and* all the advantages of grey-scale part-representations which are offered in theory by PR but always hijacked in practice.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

That's not FPTP.

Australia uses Single Transferable Vote, which is exactly what the OP said they wanted.

It's currently the best voting system we know of, because you can vote the way you get biscuits - my favourite are dark chocolate hobnobs, if I can't have those then dark or milk chocolate digestives. Plain hobnobs will do if there's no chocolate at all.

FPTP forces a two party system where the everyone has to vote against the party they're scared of, never for the representative they actually want.

Depending on how the two parties choose candidates, FPTP means you either end up with the choice between bland and extremist, or two almost indistinguishable forms of bland.

1. W.S.Gosset

> That's not FPTP.

Spot on. That's why I said:

> First past the post of a majority (ie, min 50% required), where votes are accumulated via iterative fail-through of a descending-preference list per voter.

1. Allan George Dyer

@W.S.Gosset - "Spot on. That's why I said:"

So you described Single Transferable Vote (STV) but called it FTFP. If you didn't know the usual terminology, fair enough. If you did know it, but chose to ignore it, then you're being deliberately confusing.

1. W.S.Gosset

Do try to read the sentence, rather than just keyword scanning. Even just maintaining concentration for 3 more words makes what you've posted here look silly.

2. SundogUK Silver badge

The point of democracy is that the public can get rid of a government they object to without resorting to violence. Given that, I am more than happy voting against parties I don't want anywhere near the levers of power.

2. W.S.Gosset

PR in the news today, as a special elite decides who has power in a "democracy":

https://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/german-parties-meet-as-coalition-haggling-begins/news-story/468f0b877d1c44171b11031c12b20ddf

> PR ... creates a privileged class who can then concentrate on playing political games amongst themselves.

1. Allan George Dyer

@W.S.Gosset - "PR ... creates a privileged class who can then concentrate on playing political games amongst themselves."

Any kind of party political system does the same, and people have a choice to join the "privileged class" by joining and working within the party of their choice. Where the games go on may change... in the UK, ordinary voters don't choose the Prime Minister. Who stands for a particular party in a constituency may be decided by a small, local party selection committee, or heavily influenced by the central party, either way, the ordinary voter in the constituency doesn't have a say in the candidates offered.

If Germany's system is working, then those games are actually a balancing of power and policies between the different political viewpoints: the voters have allocated power to each of the parties, and the parties are negotiating on behalf of their supporters to get the most important parts of their manifestos implemented.

1. W.S.Gosset

"The neighbour's dog shits everywhere so we keep getting some on our shoes, therefore there is absolutely no difference between that and diving into a sewerage pond, rolling around in it, and drinking as much as we possibly can."

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Allan George Dyer,

I prefer first past the post, but accept and understand it has major flaws. But then so do all political systems. I was starting to waver as in the UK the two big parties were getting a consistently smaller share of the vote - which makes FPP much less legitimate as a system. Since those numbers have gone back up in recent elections, on relatively high turnouts, I'd say I'm still happy to stick with what we've got. As I still think the disadvantages of PR are slightly worse and the downsides of FPP.

in the UK, ordinary voters don't choose the Prime Minister.

Seeing as you're compairing to German, neither do the voters there. Israel were one of the few (only?) countries to directly elect their Prime Ministers, but haven't they stopped?

At least in the UK though, you know who the Prime Ministers are likely to be, because it's a choice of 2 that you know beforehand - and if you voted for a Conservative candidate at the last election you knew that this was more likely to mean Boris Johnson as PM. In the recent election in Germany the polls were pretty close - although I believe it was obvious the Greens had fallen away in the final weeks. But otherwise you were looking at 3 parties on similar percentages, and so had less idea who'd be Chancellor. Also if you're a smaller party voter, you've less idea what effect your vote might have. In the UK voting Lib Dem in a Lib Dem/Conservative marginal is making it less likely that Boris Johnson will become PM. That's an advantage of PR, it's eaiser to vote against a candidate - which I know some pepole don't approve of. But if say you're anti-FDP or don't want die Linke in government - it's much harder to cast your vote accordingly.

Who stands for a particular party in a constituency may be decided by a small, local party selection committee, or heavily influenced by the central party, either way, the ordinary voter in the constituency doesn't have a say in the candidates offered.

That's true in most systems. And PR list systems are much worse for that, because the party hierarchy can put their favourites higher up the list.

However you can join parties to get to choose that. And the Conservatives in the UK have recently experimented with open Primaries for candidate selection. But I'd say this is much more a problem with the existence of political parties, and if the voters don't like the candidates, the obvious solution is to vote for another party until the buggers get the message.

If Germany's system is working, then those games are actually a balancing of power and policies between the different political viewpoints:

This is true. But it is one of the big problems with PR. This is the point where the parties all get together and agree amongst themselves, and there's not a lot the voters can do about it. In first-past-the-post systems - this coalition negotiation has happened more-or-less openly over the last electoral cycle - and each party has published a manifesto to tell you what they've decided. So you've a much better idea of what you're getting - and usually the winning Prime Minister will appoint most of his major shadow-ministers to the jobs they were spokesmen on. So you've even got some idea of what government you're going to get.

So the trade-off is really between the electorate having more of an idea of what government they're going to get under FPP and more power for smaller minority voters (and parties) - but less influence for the voters on the evntual make-up of their government under PR.

I would argue that the two major parties in Germany have been in coalition with each other for far too long, depriving the voters of choice and influence. And I'd suggest the voters agree, in that neither are getting the percentages they achieved 10-20 years ago and before.

1. Allan George Dyer

@I ain't Spartacus - Nice analysis, have an upvote.

I was mostly arguing against W.S.Gosset's "PR ... creates a privileged class" comment, but they have descended to the level of shitty metaphors so I'll continue a civilised discussion with you.

The biggest flaw of FPP is how it leaves a large %, possibly over 50%, of the voters unrepresented. I don't think this outweighs the advantage of "the electorate having more of an idea of what government they're going to get" because they don't have any influence on the details. Is an elector going to consider, "I'd like X as Prime Minister, and I like most of their likely ministers, except Y, who will probably be Home Secretary, so do I vote for A, in X's party, or their opponent, B, because I really do hate what Y will do." They may have more information about the eventual government makeup, but does it really help their decision?

Some parties experimented with open Primaries in Hong Kong last year... that did not end well.

I haven't looked closely at how the German system is or isn't working, so I'll defer to your conclusion on the major parties coalition. However, I do have a suggestion on How List Proportional Representation by Largest Remainder Fails and how to improve it, based on my observations of Hong Kong's elections up to 2016.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Allan George Dyer,

a civilised discussion with you.

This is the bloody internet! We'll have none of that rubbish around here!

Ya boo sucks to you!

I think you go a bit far into the details of my post. My argument isn't that voters know who the ministers are going to be. I literally thought of that point as I was typing it.

I would rephrase your sentences thusly:

The biggest flaw of FPP is how it leaves a large %, possibly over 50%, of the voters unrepresented.

The biggest flaw of PR is that it over-represents often quite small, minorities of voters.

And add:

FPP often leads to over-mighty goverments with too much power to act on too small a support from the voters

PR can lead to gridlock, or small parties having to be bought off with too much, thus over-priviliging their voters as against the majority.

For my final argument, I go back to Germany. This is one of the main reasons I prefer the faults of FPP to those of PR.

The FDP in Germany (Free Democrats), they're an economically liberal party that in Germany are called centre-right in UK terms are about in the centre. They've been in government (mostly with the Union - CDU/CSU) since the war from 1949-56, 1961-66 then 1969-82 in coalition with the SPD and 82-98 back with the Union again. Then 2009-13. So that's 29 continuous years in government and a total of 13 years where they weren't in power between 1946 and the end of the century. They've tended to hover around the 5-10% of the vote mark often not winning any directly elected seats at all, but getting all their seats from the list seats. And yet got to be in government for 41 years of a 54 year period.

Which basically meant that so long as they could keep getting more than 5% of the vote - they had a damned good chance of being in government, and there wasn't much any voter who didn't like their party could do about it.

Not that I have a problem with them or anything, they're just the first example that came to mind. FPP has the advantage that it lets you "kick the bums out". You can vote negatively against a particular party even if voting positively for your chosen party is ineffective. Which does also make the system look worse than it is, because that has voters supporting a major party sometimes not voting for it and thus making its vote percentage look worse than it is. But as soon as both parties can't regularly muster around 40% of the vote, FPP becomes even more unfair and then I'd be forced to support PR.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Happy

FPTP is the preferred mechanism for would-be elites because it takes power out of the hands of the loathsome vulgar voters and creates a privileged class who can then concentrate on playing political games amongst themselves. FTFY

Paragraphs that are little more than political sloganeering, like that, are easy to fix :-)

The problem with FPTP is that you can get 100% of the power when the majority of people voted against you, indeed this is how it normally operates. Hence the British Tories got 100% of the power with 44% of the votes.

Proportional representation is not a single defined electoral system, as you seem to imagine, but any electoral system in which divisions in an electorate are reflected proportionately in the elected body. It can be party-lists, single transferable vote, reweighted range voting, sequential proportional approval voting, evaluative proportional representation and so and so on with infinite variety through mixed-member combinations of them.

5. Mike 137 Silver badge

making 'copyrighted facts' freely available

However nightmarish the scenario might seem, 'copyrighted facts' will never some to pass. Copyright fundamentally subsists in ownership of something (currently, ownership of the expression of an idea). As (at least since 1581) nobody can have ownership of a fact because it means a truth or a reality, copyright per se can not be claimed for a fact.

Some bar steward might try to legislate for proprietary rights in facts, but they couldn't use copyright as the basis, and in any case they would fail in practice as it would be impossible for societies to operate if they succeeded.

Yet again (like many successive visions of dystopia) this is both just a bit too dystopic and a bit too poorly researched.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Re: making 'copyrighted facts' freely available

You seem to be completely wrong. See any of the various types of "database rights" that exist in different jurisdictions today. It would be a tiny step from there to making Wikipedia's database of facts a violation of various copyrights.

We already have it for copies (such as photographs) of clearly out-of-copyright artworks in many places.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: making 'copyrighted facts' freely available

@Graham Cobb

Database right is not copyright. It's a right in the assemblage of the data set, whereas copyright is a right in presentation, not concept or content.

Copyright in a photo of a work of art is therefore a right pertaining to the presentation of the photo, not the presentation of the work of art.The copyright status of the work of art is a separate issue.

There have been a few highly questionable cases in the US that have attempted to cross the line between presentation and content (notably a case where a single musical phrase was contested) but these are distortions of the copyright principle, not fundamental to it.

6. Snowy Silver badge
    Holmes

Aection 230 of the US Communications Decency Act

Would not be in danger of being repealed if some companies did not use it to shirked their responsible when toxic content is posted on their site.

1. Irongut

Re: Aection 230 of the US Communications Decency Act

Most of the calls to repeal section 230 seem to come from Republicans who want to stop them removing their toxic content. So I would suggest you are wrong.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Re: Aection 230 of the US Communications Decency Act

"toxic content" = stuff I disagree with.

7. Timbo

Interesting thought....

Given the relatively high number of IT Pro's/Techie types on this forum, what is anyones take on how the Internet will actually evolve over time?

Are we actually at a point where the world, its people and its economies cannot imagine a time (in the near or far future) when the internet doesn't exist?

We have all got so used to the web, and the benefits it can have for society (overall and excluding "social media")...but is there a way forward for the net to move on? There's so much "talk" (and some action) about an "inter-connected" world, with all sorts of data flowing from one device to another...

But is that it? Or is there something that is currently under development that could become the "new" internet?

I really hope there is, coz in 50 years time, a few of us who are still around by then, might be the only ones who remember life BEFORE the internet !

1. The obvious

Re: Interesting thought....

Honestly the one thing I can tell you about the internet in 50 years time, is that IP4 will still exist and there will still be people who think IP6 is too newfangled and some kind of dark art.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge

The state of the Internet in 50 years' time depends on the state of the world, and mostly whether we have managed to control global warming to an extent that human civilisation is mostly intact. Otherwise the massive upheavals caused by climate change and sea level rise, projected to be about 54" for Florida*. However that could cause severe problems for countries which are low-lying such as those in Indian or Pacific Ocean archipelagos. (Kiribati, Oceania, Maldives).

In addition the changes to weather patterns may have instigated mass migration and possibly starvation as lands currently productive become parched, and the rains fall on land currently covered in permanent-frost or 'shield rock' formations, which lack the necessary ingredients to produce the massive amounts of grain and other foodstuffs to feed the current > 7 Billion people von the planet.

Of course all this is mere speculation on my part. I doubt I'll still be around in 2070, but I strongly suspect poverty, starvation and an enormous wealth gap between and inside countries will (but then I'm a miserable old git).

* https://southeastfloridaclimatecompact.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Sea-Level-Rise-Projection-Guidance-Report_FINAL_02212020.pdf

https://climatemigration.org.uk

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And of course, all the landing points for international cables would be some of the first to be affected by sea rises.

2. W.S.Gosset

The long-term average sea level rise of 3mm per year falls "a little" short of 54" in 50yrs. Also, that 3mm/yr dropped to 1.5mm/yr during the 1975-2000 warming period due to sea ice melting.

There are 4 islands in the Pacific/Oceania where the water is rising, but there are over 500 island in that region where the water is falling. Water doesn't have hills or valleys, btw. It's one of the most volcanically active areas on the planet with multiple intersecting plates -- I wonder what might be happening?

In order to improve your gloom and dread, can I suggest you switch from reading partisan activists, to reading data and research. The contrast is staggering.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

W.S.Gosset: "Water doesn't have hills or valleys, btw. ...

can I suggest you switch from reading partisan activists, to reading data and research. The contrast is staggering."

Water, particularly oceans, does have waves with peaks and troughs, and of course there are tides. These can threaten low lying countries such as the Maldives:

"Climate change severely threatens the existence of the Maldives as well as diminishing existing human capabilities on these islands."

The Marshall Islands:

"The Marshall Islands are a collection of low-lying islands and atolls in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, all less than six feet in average elevation. Due to the geographic and topographic situation of these islands, they are placed in a position of intense risk in terms of exposure to the effects of climate change."

Tuvalu and Kiribati etc.:

"Many of the Pacific Island nations like the Marshall Islands, including Tuvalu and Kiribati are currently having to deal with rising sea levels.

Beside Funafuti, the capital of Tuvalu, sea-level rise is estimated at 1.2 ± 0.8 mm/year.[28] As well as this, the dangerous peak high tides in Tuvalu are becoming higher causing greater danger. In response to sea level rise, Tuvalu is considering resettlement plans in addition to pushing for increased action in confronting climate change at the UN.[29] As well as island nations, nations with significant coastal low-lying topography, such as Bangladesh, and low-lying coastal cities, such as Miami, are also threatened by sea-level rise."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_climate_change_on_island_nations

And "Sea level rise is not globally uniform and varies regionally. Thermal expansion, ocean dynamics and land ice loss contributions will generate regional departures of about ±30% around the GMSL rise. Differences from the global mean can be greater than ±30% in areas of rapid vertical land movements, including those caused by local anthropogenic factors such as groundwater extraction (high confidence). Subsidence caused by human activities is currently the most important cause of relative sea level rise (RSL) change in many delta regions. While the comparative importance of climate-driven RSL rise will increase over time, these findings on anthropogenic subsidence imply that a consideration of local processes is critical for projections of sea level impacts at local scales (high confidence). "

https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/chapter/chapter-4-sea-level-rise-and-implications-for-low-lying-islands-coasts-and-communities/

And "The rise in sea level has far surpassed the 2007 estimate from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and could reach 2 meters within this century. Human populations are generally concentrated along coastlines, and people on low-lying islands in the Pacific are at particular risk since they cannot move to higher elevations."

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/pcmsc/science/low-lying-areas-tropical-pacific-islands?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

And from the New Scientist:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2192981-coastal-catastrophe-looms-larger-as-sea-level-forecasts-creep-upwards/

"The last report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in 2013 concluded that sea level could rise between 0.3 and 1 metre by 2100 depending on how much carbon dioxide we emit. Now a study by Tamsin Edwards of King’s College London has added 0.2 metres to that. “Our likely range is about 20 centimetres higher,” says Edwards.

Other studies have come to similar conclusions. In fact, the IPCC is set to up its projections: according to a leaked version of an upcoming IPCC report, sea level will rise by as much as 1.3 metres by 2100. In the US alone, a 0.9 metre rise in sea level rise would displace 4 million people."

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Some Interesting Thoughts for those Running Animal Farms and ACTing like Headless Chickens

Or is there something that is currently under development that could become the "new" internet? ..... Timbo

Yes and yes, of course there is, Timbo. And the chances of its IT and AI not being highly disruptive and geopolitically revolutionary verge on zero... therefore prepare yourselves for surreal remote bodied invasion and virtually almighty insurrections/heavenly adjustments/diabolic modifications to Elite Services Servering SCADA Systems Executive Administrations,

Indeed, in a furtherance to that prognostication, A.N.Others who be nameless and thus relatively anonymous would proffer it is live and up and running very stealthily and extremely smoothly ..... which is of course quite perfect, avoiding as it does, all of those despicable hindrances that either tend to or are intentionally designed to block or restrain Rapid Autonomous Future Flight Progress.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Some Interesting Thoughts for those Running Animal Farms and ACTing like Headless Chickens

https://youtu.be/oEGL7j2LN84

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"how the Internet will actually evolve over time?"

Evidently the IA people likes a world dominated by the Google-Facebook conglomerate in the West fighting against the Baidu-Yandex one in the East...

Regulations are not bad per se. And lack of regulation is not good per se. There's a reason why even football has rules, otherwise every match would become just a brawl after two minutes. or less.

The problem here is that companies led by bad people taking fully self-advantage from lack of regulations usually pave the way for bad politicians to introduce bad rules to take full self-advantage from them.

8. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Coat

Does IA say

who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes?

(I'll get my coat, it's the one with a towel in the pocket.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does IA say

The marketing department.

Well, not sure if the first, but definitely near the front.

9. Lorribot

"a nightmarish future where governmental surveillance reigns supreme and privacy is heavily frowned upon."

A nightmarish now where Google surveillance reigns supreme and privacy is heavily ignored

Seems to me it is much the same just the players have changed.

1. jonathan keith

Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.

10. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

Follow the money etc.

What connection is there between Google and The Internet Archive?

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: Follow the money etc.

IP

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: IP

I take it that you mean Intellectual Property.

Google is one of the biggest robbers of IP we have ever seen. Post an idea about something an their bots will harvest it and if good enough, they'll patent it.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: IP

*woooosh*

11. Tail Up
    Boffin

Optional

вопрос: кто умрет первым - эмир, ишак или Ходжа Насреддин?

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: Optional

@Tail Up

The third probably, but as he reputedly said "don't bury me before I'm dead".

1. Tail Up

Re: Optional

...and yet there is no evidence of his departure, as he's being still cited in 2021 AD, Mike 137

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

go... Go now

and close the door behind you.

The world will rejoice when you are dead and buried.

While you are at it... take Facebook with you. Both of you are blots on the landscape.

13. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Yahoo! like it's 1999

Google will destroy themselves. They've set expectations of infinite hockey-stick growth but they've run out of things to plaster ads on and they've completely lost focus. Their "moon-shots" are failing and, other than some corporate cloud apps, their apps are in bad shape. Now they're desperate to squeeze the money out of everything. They want to cripple ad blockers in Chrome. I noticed that Android 11 has advertisements for Google Cloud storage and completely FUBAR microSD support.

Google built their wealth on open source software, ads, stolen personal information, and pirated media. As such, they own nothing but use by habit. The world can fork and move on.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

2046?

In 2046 I'll be 80. I've tried to care about this issue for the last couple of minutes but have failed miserably.

1. naive

Re: 2046?

In 2046 the millenials will be running the show.

Since most of them were being raised by instagram and whatsapp it will be interesting how they will do.

It may go both ways, extreme woke-ism, removing everything that doesn't fit their view of the world, or they are smart enough to find out how much Big Tech keeps them on the hook and will start doing all to set themselves free.

1. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

I envision the best part of that to be governmental addresses in which all sentences have the upper inflection of an inquiry.

"I'm your democratically elected leader? We should quickly take action on these pressing issues? I care deeply about the health and well-being of my constituents?"

2. David1

I am 85 and I care about this issue because many of my descendants will probably be alive.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The Epochalypse will happen before then. 2038 to be precise.

15. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Yes, but have they got rid of those ridiculous Cookie Acceptance messages? They're useless (everyone just clicks accept) and annoying, and totally ruin your experience. Especially when you're on a site where the accept button is broken.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I never click accept.

I always go in to manage the settings, and turn as much as I can off as I can.

Don't think it really does much good, but I have to try

But it's getting difficult. Some sites are putting up the most ludicrous lists, and even want you to go down a list of all their partners and collaborators, some are reversing the commonly used slider so left is On and right is Off, and I've even come across some that have "On" as the default, even though this should be a GDPR infringement.

Even the prominent "Agree" button vs. the subdued "Manage Settings" button is trying to make people just agree to things that they really shouldn't.

16. Omnipresent Bronze badge

Luckily for the monkeys, Nature survives.

You need not worry. California will fall in the ocean (thank the Lord), and after burning the PNW to the ground, what's left of them will escape to Mr. Musk's party ranch in Texas, where they will quickly drown in America's new swamp land of their OWN creation (nobody to blame). The know it all monkey brains in charge will pack their precious cash in a home made rocket, and shoot themselves into outer space. Nature wins again, Problem solved.

17. ecofeco Silver badge

This is paradoy, I hope

I hope this parody by the Internet Archives, but if they are serious....

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Wayback already actively censors content..

Wayback have already said they "fix" content based on what minimum wage failed liberal arts grads (a.k.a "Fact Checkers") say is the only acceptable Truth. Financed mostly by billionaires of some sort or other. When you follow the money. Or such paragons of Absolute Truth as Snopes.

https://blog.archive.org/2020/10/30/fact-checks-and-context-for-wayback-machine-pages/

So the guys on Funston St have already gone the full Prava circa 1983. All the Right Think thats Fit to be Remembered. So suitable they are in the old Christian Science Church building.

19. BPontius

Foggy crystal ball

The series of computer simulations that led to the Mandelbrot Set and fractals showed that the same simulation run repeatedly with the same values will produce different outcomes (originally used for biologic population tracking/forecasting). Within a range of less than 2 all others go off scale, outside the Mandelbrot Set. Showing momentary periods of calm the majority of the values are chaotic. The possible outcomes, permutations and possibilities are in the billions and trillions, with the natural chaotic nature of humans there is no clear path even into next year. We need to spend more time and energy on the present.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon