back to article Kyndryl, the artist formerly known as IBM's Global Technology Services, names 10-person board

Kyndryl, the IT infrastructure services division IBM is getting shot of this year, has named its first board of directors in an effort to convert a shrinking sales entity into something more sustainable. Martin Schroeter, an IBM veteran who left the organisation in June 2020 and was this year named as CEO for Kyndryl, is to be …

1. Androgynous Cow Herd

GTS...

should have been "Global Information Technology Services"...GITS

Because they are...

2. Zarno
    Coat

Gesundheit!

Gesundheit!

Kyndryl, the stuffy, sneezy "Where the heck did all the money go???!" entity.

Take two and we'll tell you how much is left in the morning.

I'll get my coat, it's the one with diphenhydramine capsules in the pocket.

3. trevorde Silver badge

Significant names missing

Dido Harding

Chris 'Failing' Grayling

Ginni Rometty*

*$20k/day + office + PA + helicopter

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good corporate governance?

It seems so long ago that there was a movement for good corporate governance, and in particular the demand that the offices of Chairman and CEO should not be held by the same person.

Ah, happy days of yore...

5. lglethal Silver badge
    Facepalm

Value Added is negative...

And how many Engineers could you hire for those 10 board members who will basically sit around, drink coffee, spout bollocks at each other and generally use up company resources whilst adding no actual value to the company?

1. TaabuTheCat

Re: Value Added is negative...

You forgot their most important duty - awarding outrageous salary, bonus and severance packages to the top .01% of the food chain, and expecting nothing in return.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drillin' and F*kyn

I might give it some chance if it had a TLA name and if IBM Systems and Storage divisions were bundled with it.

What would be wrong with calling it Global Technology Solutions and letting it get on with things?

I worked with a lot of those people both before and after the PwC reverse takeover split IBM Global Services into the haves and have nots. There were a lot of good techies there, fighting a losing battle away from the profitable bits of contracts until over time more and more were eased out to create a better workforce profile (younger and in lower wage countries). I wish the ones who are left well, even if that means a good redundancy package or a takeover by someone who cares about their customers and workforce.

7. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

So, if I am reading this right, their primary business is they are trying to sell hardware? And, that hardware will be IBM? Expensive hardware no one wants? Hardware businesses are not buying because they are putting their infrastructure in the cloud?

Talk about beating the proverbial dead horse.

Companies like IBM and HPE can continue to "sell" the snake oil of hybrid cloud but it won't be successful today and it won't be successful tomorrow!

Disclaimer: I work for a global Construction company (HQ in the UK), we are not buying server hardware, we will not buy server hardware in the future and have no interest in anything called "hybrid cloud"! I am sure we are not alone in this opinion!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As I understand it, Kyndryl are the consulting arm of GTS, without any of the hardware development, sales and post-sales part.

They would have been the people who would go in to perform consultancy, installation and integration work in an IBM hardware and services sale.

I think that initially, they will still be doing that type of work, and may well be involved in joint-bids with IBM proper. so IBM will do the hardware sale, and Kyndryl will do the installation and integration, and also try to sell some post-sale consultancy. They state that IBM will initially be their largest customer.

But moving away from IBM will allow them to try to take on more of this type of work for non-IBM solutions, but that appears to be a difficult market to compete in.

To tell the truth, I think that IBM will have to re-invent a services arm again (much as they re-invented a printer hardware group after Lexmark was spun out), because people always bought IBM solutions rather than just hardware. I guess wee will see.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Me

Hey, what do you know.

IBM Global Business Services has been re-christened IBM Consulting. I wonder what Kyndril think now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I need to screw something.

Where's that ****Kyndryl?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like