back to article Amazon's AI chips find their way into Astro butler bot, latest wall-hanging display

Amazon has created another custom chip to speed up artificial intelligence in its home electronics. On Tuesday the online souk and cloud computing giant introduced a bunch of new gadgets, including a robot and a wall-mount home-organizing computer, with AI hardware acceleration that can personalize the equipment to your daily …

1. Just A Quick Comment

No thank you!

I won't have anything Alexa related in the house - I just don't trust them.

And that goes double for a robot that will, once the novelty has worn off, end up (a) back in its box, or (b) in the cupboard under the stairs, or (c) dumped on some unsuspecting pensioner ("This'll help you through the day Gran"), or (d) set up in the back yard to be shot at.

Maybe in ten years the technology will be useful, so long as the reporting back/cloud computing/spying has been sorted out, but now it's simply not for me.

1. StewieGriffin

Re: No thank you!

Totally agree - You only find sanity on the reg!!!

These things will fly off the shelf though. New shiny innit!!

2. martinusher Silver badge

Ruining my entertainment

I used to like watching science fiction movies but between Amazon and SpaceX (and a couple of Mars rovers) there's no entertainment value in them an more. They make just about every sci-fi movie look really dated.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Ruining my entertainment

I don't think "dated" is the word you're looking for. I'd go with "better product designers".

Take the camera-on-wheels with its capability of carrying two kilograms of something. A perfectly useful method of retrieving items, is it not? Well, I think the science fiction writers have realized that such a device also needs an arm which can retrieve an item so it can be carried over, which this one just doesn't have. All this brings is a tiny motorized cart with limited range. You still have to have a person on both ends to move things in to and out of the thing, and I'm also guessing this moves slower than standard walking speed. So what good is that?

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Smells like Zuch spirit

Is it just me or does it seem like Amazon is trying to be the new FlakeBook?

4. RyokuMas
    Joke

Ultimate Mechanical Turk!

"It is loaded with AI hardware and software that fuses computer vision, autonomous navigation systems, and voice recognition into a box-on-wheels, we're told.""

Given the way Amazon treat their workforce, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this turned out to be loaded with a very small mechanical turk...

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Calling Hanna-Barbara!

Rut Ro! I'm going... no not the stairs! Jane stop this crazy thing!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That robot thing?

Take my money. I can set it up in the cellar. My cats will love riding on the thing. (And they might stop tormenting my robot vac). Should make for some interesting telemetry for amazon to deal with too

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like someone found a use for those old Lenovo Yoga 3 tablets.

8. TheRealRoland
    Terminator

If the thing is too quiet while ambling about...

Tie a couple of cans on a string to it; or make one of the wheels squeaky?

9. fidodogbreath

It can bring you a beer, though

1. Get up.

2. Go to fridge.

3. Call robot to fridge; wait for arrival.

4. Get beer from fridge, place it in robot's cup holder.

5. Return to couch.

6. Call robot to couch.

7. "Look! Ass-tro brought me a beer!"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Astro will get smarter and more capable over time," Dave Limp, senior vice president at Amazon, promised during a webcast.

Nominative Determinism at its finest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like