back to article Indian broadband connections top 800 million … sort of

India's Telecoms Regulatory Authority has revealed that the nation has over 800 million active broadband subscribers. The Authority's Highlights of Telecom Subscription Data [PDF] for the month ending on July 31st 2021 revealed that the nation started the month with 792.78 million broadband subscribers and ended it with 808.6 …

1. ShadowSystems

Correction already sent.

They mention it in KB for most of the story & then switch to MB when talking about video conferencing. I've already let them know & the confusion should get fixed soon. Let's send them a pint to help lubricate their brain cells with nourishing Vitamin Beer. =-D

1. Terry Barnes

Re: Correction already sent.

b not B. Network through is measured in bits per second.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As someone who runs a team that supports users in India (how the worm has turned.....) i can catagorically say their broadband is beyond useless and expectations of what businesses expect from home workers is absurd..

Access to a Zoom Call....just about workable

Accessing a VDI, or pulling code from a remote repo - hard work

Working on CAD projects using Solidworks or other tools, total non-starter.

But guess who's fault it is when the user has 2Mbps download speeds......yep, you guessed it . IT's fault.

1. monty75

Last time I was out there in those sepia-toned pre-pandemic days, the mobile broadband was pretty incredible. Couple of gigabytes allowance per day for pennies, decent download and upload speeds and reliable connections. But only if you have a friendly local who'll front up a sim for you as they insist on photo ID and generally are wary of anything other than an Indian-issued ID.

Wired broadband, on the other hand, is shockingly bad. Frequently cuts out for anything between a few seconds and a few hours.

3. john.jones.name

average 17.8 Mbps download and 9.65 Mbps upload - real numbers

Huge disparity in the results

even for a region an 2.73 Mbps download and 1.02 Mbps upload average

average was calculated across 5,190,664 samples at https://speed.measurementlab.net/

4. MiguelC Silver badge
    Trollface

The 90's just called, they want their 512Kbps 'broadband' back

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Headmaster

Or, find a different word to describe a fast internet connection.

The official definition of "broadband" is that it uses a broad band of frequencies to transmit data.

56k dial-up meets the definition as it uses pretty much the full audio spectrum.

Fibre to the home probably only allocates you a single frequency, so doesn't.

I know which one i would rather have.

1. Terry Barnes

No, services that operate within telephony frequency constraints are defined as narrowband. Broadband defines a service that uses a wider frequency range than 300-3400hz.

2. Terry Barnes

512kbps is a noughties speed. The nineties were dial-up all the way, with maybe a bonded 128kbps ISDN connection if you had deep pockets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like