back to article Two Northern Irish cops face Computer Misuse Act charges over Twitter trolling campaign

Northern Irish prosecutors are pondering whether to charge two police officers with Computer Misuse Act offences after what local reports described as a Twitter trolling campaign. Local politicians and lawyers were said to have been targeted by a Twitter account called @DonYeeoo – and its operators also allegedly tweeted …

1. Valeyard

its operators also allegedly tweeted information that only police officers could have known.

Surely there's a law covering that all on its own without having to scramble around for another..

1. Cederic Silver badge

Umm. Yes. The Computer Misuse Act governs lawful use of computer systems, such as those operated by the police.

It's how a breach of policy becomes a breach of the law.

2. steviebuk Silver badge

As stupid as the one on 24hrs in police custody - Gareth Suffling

(spoiler alert)

Who got charged with blackmail. Was stupid enough to actually do searches on his PC with his account "Crimes to make easy money"

What a fucking idiot. And he was supposed to be a Detective constable, I suspect he was probably shit at that also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFTJTDlsibQ

1. Danny 2

Re: As stupid as the one on 24hrs in police custody - Gareth Suffling

Aye, that case was funny because he was on the team investigating his own crime as a TV crew were present. He wasn't caught for his internet history, he was caught because he searched the police database for his victims address.

[Note to self: When a crime lord, hire the police DBAs]

Gareth will be out now, any chances he's working at the MoD?

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: As stupid as the one on 24hrs in police custody - Gareth Suffling

Yep although they did look at his Internet searches. The problem with those records however are, you could always deny knowledge. "Sorry but I know it's against IT's policy but I did, quite frequently leave my desk with the machine unlocked. Its very possible someone else did those searches from my logon".

3. Insert sadsack pun here

From the linked article: "Two police officers have been suspended since late 2017 as a result of investigations..."

That's a cosy little 4 years sitting around doing sod all at public expense!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like