back to article Sometimes we all feel a bit like Shutting Down. So just imagine how tired Windows 7 is

Microsoft Windows sums up the spirit of many readers today, in a railway-infused bork from Manchester. Brits have long had to endure the notoriously bad rail services, which are prone to delays and cancellations. Sometimes it gets too hot. Sometimes it gets too cold. Occasionally there is a sprinkling of leaves on the tracks …

1. Piro Silver badge

Windows 7 is still updated

Until January 2023 thank you very much. Just not for the plebs (without a workaround).

Very fondly missed. Microsoft has largely been messing up the interface ever since.

It's the last time they emphasised that they'd actually listened to feedback. Anyone remember all the great ads? They were trying to distance themselves from Vista's less than stellar response.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Windows 7 is still updated

Half-supported. Most of the help has gone and you have to get SP1 from the Microsoft Catalog site, it's been removed from the main site.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

And it still works fine. it's also the last MS OS over which the user can exercise a modicum of control.

Every time an instance of an "out of support" OS crashes it's for some weird reason "news". If it were news every time a current one crashed, a truer picture might emerge.

Yes, an "unsupported" OS may (and I only say may) be more vulnerable to attack than a "supported" one, but by virtue of the fact that the current OS still needs its "support" jock strap, it's not a foregone conclusion.

I know of no mainstream OS or application that has been determined free of hazardous bugs prior to being superseded by a new version that proves just as buggy as its predecessor. That is the harsh reality we must face up to as we make ourselves ever more dependent on the worst quality products among all branches of engineering.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's also worth mentioning that those public displays going BSOD of the privilege of an article in ElReg because of crashes aren't running in the most comfortable of environments.

The crashes can also be caused by some components deciding it's not going to continue working in the sun, a fan going on strike after months of 24/7 operation, and whatnot.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
    Megaphone

The amber sign in the background

Pleasing color. Purpose-built for lines of text with simple characters. And we don't see them fail that often (if ever). For simple info display, anything else is overkill.

(I just started a CUI vs. GUI debate, didn't I? ===> )

4. karlkarl Silver badge

Its not over yet. Though the interface looks less useful, and though Microsoft call it Windows 11; it is still the same old crappy Windows 7 that we have been using for a decade. Nothing has really changed, especially the kernel.

Pretty much stagnated for a long time. Microsoft is just making one last push to monetise the platform before they retire it.

1. Piro Silver badge

If it's that narrative you're going for, then 7 makes no sense, Vista is the one to name, as it's the common ancestor of the newer versions.

2. AlbertH
      FAIL

It looks like MS have finally realised that it's a Unix/Linux world, and their "operating system" is just an irrelevant backwater proprietary client for the new world. They've even included some measure of Linux connectivity in Win 11....

Looks like it's Game Over for Windows!

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

WRONG. Until the Linux community embrace genuine out of the box experience its not going to happen.

I'm replacing a Pi3B with a 4B and replacing the TVHat I currently use for TV recording. Asking for what USB tuners there are for the RPi4B on the LibreElec forums was not a satisfactory experience, especially since one recommendation was to read the source headers to see what was supported.

Until that sort of approach changes Linux is for techies, or simple uses like my Mint laptop (used for web browsing only)

5. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Windows 7 is alive and well up here in the Highlands. My computer estate consists of:

2 Windows 7 Laptops

1 Windows 7 Desktop

1 Windows 10 Laptop kept for testing & only because I was given it.

1 Linux Mint 11.6" laptop for when watching TV

2 Raspberry Pi 3Bs (for film watching and TV recording soon to be replaced by 1 RPi4B)

My attitude over the years has been to buy a new machine, wipe it and reinstall the OS only, get that right, install my software then turn off all updates apart from AV.

Seems to work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like