back to article If it were possible to evade facial-recognition systems using just subtle makeup, it might look something like this

Makeup carefully applied to the forehead, cheeks, and nose may help you evade facial recognition systems, judging from these computer scientists' experimental work. Their described method is a form of adversarial attack, which generally involves subtly tweaking input data to trick machine-learning algorithms into …

1. Little Mouse
    Holmes

I'm not exactly surprised by this

Wearing makeup can change what you look like.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm not exactly surprised by this

"Wearing makeup can change what you look like."

And for some people, *not* wearing makeup may change what they look like.

Example from previous era: Roy Wood (of Wizzard fame); doubtless others are available.

Still, I don't suppose there's much Venture Capital funding for pointing out these things, whereas putting it in a paper might lead eventually to $$$$.

2. Rob Daglish

Re: I'm not exactly surprised by this

Local AmDram group have been performing "Kinky Boots" last week. Turns out half the cast couldn't get facial recognition to work once they'd put their makeup on. Quite funny watching them trying to unlock their phones to pay in the local supermarket!

2. alain williams Silver badge

How much make up needed to

look like Priti Patel ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How much make up needed to

You are asking this on only behalf of a friend, ... I suppose?

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

look like Priti Patel ?

Why on God's green earth would you want to look like Priti Patel? Is it some sort of Fetish I don't know about?

1. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

To have the computer point the finger at her in every demo perhaps?

1. Ken G Silver badge
          Holmes

Like that German magazine who put the justice ministers fingerprint on the front cover (latex print)?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

The Police probably won't hassle you at all if the computer thinks you are accompanied by a right wing Home Secretary, although you might be subject to a bit of kow-towing by any senior officers present. You could just wear a T-shirt with her mug on it of course.

Most facial recognition systems start by trying to find faces anywhere in the image, so you could probably have it on tattooed your arse and it would still work, except you would have to walk backwards without any trousers on.

1. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward

"you would have to walk backwards without any trousers on"

I think that is Standard Operating Procedure for political crawlers and wannabees in the corridors of power.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Once upon a time I have what purported to be Richard Nixons Social Security Number memorized. Doing some odd job where they need something that could plausibly be a SSN? Tricky Dick apparently needed the cash!

So having Priti Patel do all kinds of more or less nefarious things sounds like an interesting notion.

3. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Depends on your starting point, but given that most "AI" systems struggle to recognise brown as a legitimate skin colour, I doubt most of them would recognise the actual Priti Patel as Priti Patel.

1. Ken G Silver badge

I knew she was computer generated!

3. TRT Silver badge

Has anyone considered...

the susceptibility of CMOS-based cameras to cosmetic radiation?

1. jonathan keith

Re: Has anyone considered...

As I understand it, they're fine with cosmetic infrared radiation, iffy with cosmetic microwave radiation, and cosmetic x- and gamma ray radiation are definite no-nos.

Just as well they don't use radium in makeup any more. Or butter.

4. Bitsminer Silver badge

Evidence

I'm glad to see they didn't make up their evidence.

5. herman
    Devil

Black is beautiful

Everybody should wear pitch black wagon grease makeup at all times.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"trained observers may be wise to your caper and stop you"

In the supermarket ?

Under what authority ?

You can still wear any garment you wish in civilized countries, can't you ?

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: "trained observers may be wise to your caper and stop you"

> You can still wear any garment you wish in civilized countries, can't you ?

Oh DAHling, how deLIGHTfully naif! One wouldn't be seen DEAD in last season's styles.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "trained observers may be wise to your caper and stop you"

That won't stop people turning to stare at you - you may find yourself with witnesses in place of cameras.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. ShadowSystems

Full face gas mask.

If anyone complains tell them it's what you wear instead of a mere paper mouth/nose mask on the grounds that you want to be extra cautious. Apply one of those holographic stickers to the inside of the face plate so that you can see out just fine but anyone looking in only sees the sticker. I like the one of the rotting, maggot infested, zombie as it tends to cause revulsion in nosy buggers. Bonus is that you can remove it for identification purposes (at the bank, for an official photo, to get the cop to stop yammering, etc) but then put it back on the moment such need is done, and almost nobody will dare to tell you to remove it because that would be openly telling someone to remove a face mask during a plague. Now if you'll excuse me I have some eerie green chemical glowsticks to purchase & stick in the inside edges of my mask so I can ask folks if they're my mummy...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Full face gas mask.

5V green LED tape is cheap and runs for days on one of those external phone batteries.

9. Jim Birch

Makeup detection

I bet an AI can be trained to detect make up and see through make up with the correct training set and good quality images. That's what we do.

We are talking about an arms race here.

1. parlei Bronze badge

Re: Makeup detection

And even if the face is covered (full face mask with suitable holographic image?) there is walking pattern, physical stats (length, wide/narrow shoulders, etc) that can be used.

Arms race. All the way

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you were paranoid you could use an insole or elasticated knee brace to throw that off too.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

If you watch makeup-tutorial YouTube, you will find lots of videos about "contouring" - using different colours of makeup to make your face look like a different shape to what it actually is.

That wouldn't fool a 3d camera, but most of these facial recognition systems don't use 3d cameras.

3. TRT Silver badge

What's wrong with a stocking over the head? Works in The Sweeney. Deconvolve THAT!

4. the Jim bloke
      Boffin

its a face race

1. TRT Silver badge

Boat race.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Terminator

THX1138

If you feel you are not properly sedated, call 348-844 immediately. Failure to do so may result in prosecution for criminal drug evasion.

11. Ken G Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Contouring?

Oh no, if the AI discovers women can shape shift they'll call the Church!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Contouring?

They just need to incorporate weight-sensing floor tiles as a check-measure... if she weighs less than a duck... BURN HER!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does that mean..

.. that people like Eddie Izzard simply don't register?

He's even smarter than I already thought.

:)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much easier...

You could just wear a burkha, of course.

14. Dale 3

AI

Unless you wear a different pattern of makeup every time you go out, the AI will simply learn your makeup pattern as another identity and carry on tracking it. It may not immediately connect that identity to "you", but it wouldn't take much for either a human or an AI to make the connection.

15. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Why bother with all of this? Just wear a white shirt that says "coffee pot" in large print and it will never spot you.

16. Bartholomew
    Coat

So the solution is ...

To write UNKNOWN on your forehead with mascara (which is guanine, made from fish scales), then the AI knows that nothing fishy is going on, and just lets you pass.

It is a bit like a social engineer in the future walking, no strolling at a leisurely pace, into a high security AI protected area wearing a T-shirt that says "Computer Upgrades" - every door just automagically opens for them.

1. doesnothingwell

Re: So the solution is ...

"strolling at a leisurely pace, into a high security AI protected area wearing a T-shirt that says"

qr code for DROP TABLES faces;

1. Bartholomew

Re: So the solution is ...

https://imgur.com/a/5kJi3yR

I'm still not seeing how that would work, AI scans QR code, it sees text. Are saying that the AI is going to run the line of text in an interactive shell on the production environment, that should never happen, unless there is a bug or two.

17. gnasher729 Silver badge

Apples faceid

FaceID works by measuring the distance between the camera and your face, with about 300,000 pixels total. Seems to be totally unaffected by makeup unless you apply filler :-) Should also be fine with different skin colours.

Just haven’t heard of any commercial source for that camera. And it can’t be trained with photos.

1. the Jim bloke
      Gimp

Re: Apples faceid

.. but apparently can have trouble recognising people first thing in the morning - which suggests an inability to do facial recognition WITHOUT makeup.

just throw faceid and morning into a google search...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like