back to article SpaceX prepares to launch four civilians and a glass dome into space

The first orbital spaceflight crewed completely by civilians, Inspiration4, is due to launch tonight from Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex 39A atop a SpaceX Falcon 9. The mission was procured by and will be commanded by Shift4 Payments boss Jared Isaacman, with Sian Proctor, Hayley Arceneaux and Christopher Sembroski …

1. Lorribot

Sorry how does that work?

"The bill for this flight is being paid by Isaacman, who hopes to raise awareness and funds for St Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee"

Surely any business man would realise it would be more cost effective and provide better care to just donate the money to the hospice rather than go on a jolly in to space and try salve your conscience by say that load of rubbish?

Correctkly invested the funds could probably give a viable income for the hospice.

1. Cybersaber

Re: Sorry how does that work?

I get the sentiment, but the _specifics_ of this PR endeavor are:

(from the company FAQ:)

"This mission has been secured by a private transaction between Jared Isaacman and SpaceX. The terms are not being disclosed. Separately, Inspiration4 has a goal of raising over $200 million dollars for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital with Jared Isaacman personally committing $100 million."

And

"Hardship and suffering have unfortunately been present throughout human history, but we can no sooner turn away from the great need all around us than we can put innovation and progress on hold. We have to find ways to do both. For starters, that is why we anticipate raising substantially more funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital than the cost of the mission, so that we can make an impact on the problems of today.”

Not sure of the downvotes, because it's a totally valid question in the face of a history of corporations doing 'charity' work where it's really just a PR scheme and they donate a pittance to the charity. In THIS case though, I can actually respect the move.

2. Solviva
    Coat

Bowel movements?

Are they including a portaloo in the capsule? I guess the Dragon capsule was mainly intended for shortish missions 'space-docking' whereby passengers could relieve themselves. This I believe is a 72 hour jolly so nature is sure to be calling once or twice before they return to terra firma.

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: Bowel movements?

SpaceX packed some shrubs for outside the capsule. They can take a short spacewalk and go squat behind them.

2. FeepingCreature Bronze badge
      Go

yes they are

srsly just google "dragon toilet", there are multiple articles

1. Zarno

Re: yes they are

If I searched that, I'd expect to find something related to a utility spell in D&D.

3. Phones Sheridan Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Bowel movements?

Apparently the room with the glass domed view, is the toilet.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/rCbLuVWwJ3nU4TWssHuJfY-970-80.jpg.webp

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Unhappy

Just had a look and the launch window is open

Looks like the launch is now set for about 1am UK time. Unfortunately, I need to get some sleep before a long drive in the morning. I'll have to watch the replay tomorrow :-(

4. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Musk may be nuts and many of his projects may be daft, but SpaceX rocks the extraterrestrial interior design and costume design worlds. Pure stylish sci-fi. Of course we'll all forget that the first time they kill people.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Richard Branson - "Look what we did!"

Jeff Bezos - "That's nothing, look what we did!"

Elon Musk - "Hold my beer..."

6. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Sex in spaaaaace...

Post mission (and missionary), they'll be cleaning the interior with the aid of a blacklight... those bodily ejections need removing fast, before they become permanent biofilms.

What IS the best sex position in space?

1. Tromos
      Joke

What IS the best sex position in space?

Mission: Aries

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Sex in spaaaaace...

re-entry?

1. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Re: Sex in spaaaaace...

Let's hope they have enough Astroglide

7. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like