back to article Speciality electronics outfit boasts of 64-fold density increase for its latest space-ready MRAM parts

Electronics outfit Micross has announced the launch of a 1 gigabit magnetoresistive RAM (MRAM) component, its highest-density part yet - and a device it hopes will prove the future of spintronics for high-reliability computing in harsh environments. Packaged in 18x20mm ceramic land-grid array (LGA) and ball-grid array (BGA) …

1. ShadowSystems

Interesting...

I hope they can improve the capacity to something a normal desktop pc might find useful, I'd be interested in a machine that can survive nuclear winter.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Interesting...

Um, are you planning anything we should worry about?

1. ShadowSystems

Re: Interesting...

(Shifty eyed looks to the sides, up, down, & back over my shoulder.) No, absolutely not!

(Wanders away whistling innocently with fingers crossed behind my back.) Why do you ask? =-D

2. Mike 16

Flash replacement - Hurrah!

Flash without serious endurance issues

Flash without dodgy controller firmware that hides the impending doom by shuffling blocks (sometimes correctly)?

Flash that allows you to delete/erase those hidden blocks?

Flash where the special commands to do that erasure actually _works_?

OTOH, with 1Gb chips, a 128GB memory would cost too much to use the normal "retirement" process involving heavy construction equipment and thermal lances.

OTOOH, those extreme measures may not be needed...

3. Cybersaber

Fun with numbers

I love how they sneak in gigabit like it's measuring network throughput.

128 MB RAM stixx! Woot! Time to party like it's Y2K again!

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Fun with numbers

128 MB RAM stixx! Woot! Time to party like it's Y2K again!

Y2K was approaching the peak of solar cycle 23, so you might have appreciated kit like this!

1. Cybersaber

Re: Fun with numbers

Well, there is that, but if you scale it proportionately to commonly available RAM sizes:

(Assumption - 64GB RAM sticks are around the current high end, so 128MB = 1/512th)

256 byte (you read that right; no kilo- or mega- prefix) MRAM in Y2K in other words.

Nah, I don't think I'd have found it useful.

4. N13L5

Spintronics is clearly a parasite to the space time continuum.

A work of the demons, it will destabilize the fabric of space and time - unnoticeably at first, then more rapidly, as the knitted sweater unravels.

A giant black maw will open up and swallow everything. Your hair catches on fire as all temperatures and locations become one.

This prediction is true and correct, it has been peer reviewed by the people who organized the ceremony of the Goddard Tunnel's opening.

Only the City of Davos will remain, on the back of a giant centipede.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Spintronics is clearly a parasite to the space time continuum.

when you see the tentacles start to emerge and waver, you know your time is up, monkey boy

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like