back to article Astro Pi 2: New Raspberry Pi hardware with updated camera, sensors to head to the ISS this year

Good news for earthbound Pi-tinkerers hoping to get their code into orbit: a follow-up to 2015's Astro Pi is due to head to the International Space Station (ISS) this year. Time has moved on a bit since the Principia mission of Tim Peake where the first units were installed aboard the orbiting outpost. While over 54,000 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Pinky and the Brain !!!

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

1. Anonymous Custard
      Trollface

Narf!

2. O RLY

I thnk so, Brain, but where are we going to find rubber pants our size!?

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I know the heatsink cases are probably milled aluminium and very expensive, but have somebody make a cheaper version for sale to us. Doesn't need to be flight qualified, just look the part.

1. Old Used Programmer

Or alternate materials...

I'll grant you that an aluminum case to act as a heat sink is a good idea, but it may be worth noting that people made plastic 3D printed versions of the original AstroPi cases.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Or alternate materials...

Yes, I already have a 3D printed Astro pi case, nicely sprayed up to look like aluminium. Still would love a metal one though.

2. Peter Mount

They did say earlier that are working on 3D printable cases just like the original Astro PI case.

3. Bartholomew

I know it is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I like the "heatsink case pi 4", which is two blocks of aluminium and 4 hexagonal screws that you sandwich the Pi between. Although to be fair, it is more of an optimal heat sink than an optimal case. Plug the above quoted words into your search engine of choice and click on images to see what I mean.

3. Anonymous Custard
    Boffin

Time flies when you're in orbit...

OK, how many of you read that Peak and the Principia mission was 6 years ago and did a double-take that it was that long ago already?

Good to hear the update is going to happen though - those old uSD cards (or indeed are they SD cards?) must be showing as much wear and tear as the rest of the ISS is at the moment...

4. MacGuru42
    Happy

Can only be called

Huey & Dewey

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Can only be called

Said silently running away?

1. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C
        Mushroom

My first thought was Yes, but on reflection it's No. Just in case.

icon --- >

"Let there be light"

2. adam 40 Silver badge

Guide and Marvin

2. Zenubi

ORAC & GAMBIT

3. jake Silver badge

Heckle and Jeckle.

5. Lon24

'Excuse Me!

Batteries? You mean this cutting edge of technology doesn't have USB charging sockets? Where did all those trillions go? I mean they could have commandeered Elon's Tesla launch, chucked Starman away and just plugged 'em into the dashboard. But don't even think of cannabalising the Tesla's SD storage 'cos ...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

The ISS is pretty old

I think it only comes with cigarette lighter sockets.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Kevin Johnston

Re: The ISS is pretty old

Cigar lighters surely....cigarettes are just so passe

6. Adrian 4

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like