back to article Fortnite banana can appear in court naked says judge in Epic vs Apple legal footnote

US District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers late last week handed down a judgment [PDF] in the Epic Games vs Apple antitrust trial, which is likely to have significant consequences for developers and the corporations that control the ecosystems in which they operate. However, it also included a footnote which unexpectedly set …

1. David Webb

It's already clothed

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't a banana with peel a dressed banana? If you had a banana without the peel then it would be naked, so putting clothing over the clothing of a banana makes it like that episode from friends. Then again, could you take the peel off a banana and put on a dressing of chocolate sprinkles and then describe it as a dressed banana. Also, typing banana this much is really hard!

BTW, why did I think it was April first?

1. KarMann Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: It's already clothed

And what if the idea of being 'dressed' is interpreted in the sense that it's usually applied to chickens and other fowl creatures? Then, being dressed would mean not wearing that peel.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Also, typing banana this much is really hard!

Are you starting to feel like Nanny Ogg, whereas she knew how to start spelling banana, but didn't know how you stopped.

1. MJI Silver badge

Banana

Bananana

Banananana

Bananananana

I see what you mean

1. Dizzy Dwarf

(probably) Everyone's favourite Ankh-Morpork street-food vendor:

Barbara's Beautifully Barbequed Bananas

2. jake Silver badge

I read that joke in Boys Life magazine back in 1966ish.

(I briefly subscribed, just for Bobby Fischer's "Checkmate" column.)

3. Kane

"Then again, could you take the peel off a banana and put on a dressing of chocolate sprinkles and then describe it as a dressed banana."

With a salted caramel sauce and call it sexy banana.

Mmmmm...

1. jake Silver badge

Just the fruit, warmed gently in a flaming caramel rum[0] sauce with a hint of cinnamon, finished with a small pinch of either Jacobson or Maldon finishing salt. Serve topping real vanilla ice cream.

[0] Meyer's Dark recommended, but trust your own taste buds.

4. Jedit Silver badge
      Boffin

"isn't a banana with peel a dressed banana?"

A banana in a tuxedo is already an overdressed banana. We don't need the clarification.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you peel it gradually: one skin, two skin, three skin...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bananas wear pyjamas ... as eny fule kno

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

updoot for the Molesworth reference...

3. Zarno
    Coat

I wonder if...

I wonder if there was ever a chance it could end in a split decision?

On that note, full contact court would have been an Epic way to settle this dispute.

4. alain williams Silver badge

'just a banana man,'

Does this ruling not apply to 'banana women' or depictions of ? (If such things exist). Of should there have been a comma before "man" ?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: 'just a banana man,'

you can find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k1uec1JIdc

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bananaman is in reality...

Indeed, in the latest strip our hero only had *half* a banana to hand when peril threatened, leaving the superhero version with a lower half clad in black shorts & with distinctly knobbly knees.

Much to the general bemusement and hilarity of all, naturally.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I assume there was no reference

to the length or straightness of the banana?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I assume there was no reference

A gentleman does not enquire about such things.

2. alain williams Silver badge

Re: I assume there was no reference

I am not aware if the judge was pleased to see the banana,

7. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Peaches?

Can the ruling be applied to peaches? How about a peach juxtaposed with a banana? How about a suggestively shaped root vegetable?

As far as clothing, is clothing a banana in latex okay?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

But Apple showed its naked apple?

And moreover with that alluring bite? Ask this post icon!

9. mtp
    Facepalm

Fruity sexual discrimination

Every banana you see in shops is sterile so this is a unacceptble intrusion into their unfortunate sexual status. Shame on the lawyers.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Fruity sexual discrimination

I rather suspect the Banana-clones are quite comfortable with their reproduction technique and hardly find it "unfortunate", regardless of who is describing it ... and in fact, if they thought about it at all, they might find yours rather disturbing.

10. Julz

So

A naked banana has its skin on yet a dressed crab has all its insides on the outside. Language is great...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: So

I can assure you that last time I dressed a hog, it had nothing to do with adding layers.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sound the Peeeeeeel

If I remember my English lessons "naking" (the root of naked) refers to peeling, so a naked banana is one that has been peeled. Therefore a unpeeled banana is not naked.

12. Teiwaz
    Coat

at the risk of being considered confused and failing to make any sense..

Salad is considered dressed when slathered in oil or somesuch.

Try that excuse buck naked and oiled up on the street though....

...oiled up like a wet banana...

13. jake Silver badge

Perspective ...

... of a Yank.

The court documents clearly say 'he's a banana man", not "Bananaman". To me, this indicates he is one of the group of entities known as "banana men", and not the superhero known as "Bananaman", as seen in numerous documentaries.

Personally, I'm going with the missed-in-transcription "banana, man" theory ... but not as voiced by the inestimable Beeblebrox. The voice I hear is that of Bart Simpson.

1. Ace2 Silver badge

Re: Perspective ...

[Voice of Sam Elliot] The Banana abides. I don’t know about you but I take comfort in that. It’s good knowin’ he’s out there. The Banana. Takin’ ‘er easy for all us vegetables.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like