back to article Wipro wins $44.5m deal for data centres and managed services at UK's National Grid

National Grid has signed up to spend up to $44.5m (approx. £32.2m) with Wipro, which will take on the energy infrastructure company's data centres and mainframes with a view to introducing a hybrid cloud infrastructure. The global gas and electricity network firm has contracted the India IT services provider, in a US currency …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

It said the company had begun its "Agile Transformation, establishing a core Agile capability and delivering products" and invested in data platforms "such as our data lake, that enables us to gather, manage and share our data more effectively."

All that and they forgot to mention Blockchain...

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

They also forgot AI and machine learning to complete the bingo.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoopee !

There goes another £32 million of taxpayers and/or the public hard earned money going to subsidise the Indian economy while depleting our own investments, technology and jobs market.

I'm so glad we took back control (not that this is Brexit related)

What a fecking no hope sh!thole this country has become under successive governments and their policies.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Whoopee !

It's not like Rishi Sunak ignored all those experts advising against IR35 changes, to help UK economy. In fact his own family runs one of those Indian consultancies...

1. Mr Dogshit

Surely not? You DO surprise me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I guess ultimately profit goes offshore, but it will be Wipro's UK subsiduary the contract is with... possibly with UK national clauses too.

Lots of UK taxes paid before then though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If its a US dollar contract then I'd guess the principal payments go via their US subsidiaries with scope for the usual transnational financial efficiencies.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"possibly with UK national clauses too"

Yeah, right. Even if it is, it won't stop Wipro trying to finagle unqualified staff over here.

(Disclosure: I am a UK-based UK national that works for Wipro.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like