back to article Music festivals are back in the UK. So is the background bork

Bork goes backstage today as the revival of music festivals in the UK heralds the return of background borkage. On show is an example from Register reader Roffy, who was spending a sunny weekend taking in the delights of the Brixton Wide Awake Festival at London's Brockwell Park. Windows Explorer backstage Click to enlarge …

1. Roger Kynaston
    Trollface

Squid

Who are they proxying?

1. KarMann Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Squid

I heard they're just in it for the ca¢he.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Was there an ink jet printer attached?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

An attempt at humour, one supposes?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: An attempt at humour, one supposes?

Just because you're jellyfish ner ner ne nerner

2. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Windows

Clippy: It looks like you're performing live. Would you like help?

My android phone has a MUCH more annoying feature. There's this thing that keeps activating every time I accidentally press a button on the side of the phone that wants met to say things like "How to make banana bread" and such.

3. Scene it all

Some years ago I was takng an airline flight and before we pulled away from the gate somebody decided to reboot the entertainment system. Apparently it was set up so that the default mechanism fed the computer console video to ALL the seatback screens. So we all got to watch a Linux bootup process scroll by. I don't think it revealed any secret stuff...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Each seat has its own Linux box

They're basically Chromecast-like things, providing a local UI and streaming from a NAS somewhere on the plane. It's almost always Linux now because that runs decently on really cheap underpowered ARM that has guaranteed long-term hardware availability.

When they reboot the system they reboot all the little boxes.

They can also reboot individual "screens" if just one or two are misbehaving.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It is every AV tech's nightmare

They could alleviate that nightmare to some extent by setting up their local screen and remote huge screens as extended screens instead of mirrored. At least that way, when it goes Total Inability To Support Usual Psychedelia, all the audience will see is the wallpaper, which could be something suitable to match the gig ambience on that display. Meanwhile, the AV technician can be frantically clicking stuff on the local screen where the windows and icons are still showing.

It may not solve the boot process display, but that depends on the hardware at the start of the boot process and the OS defaults during the OS boot phase, which may default to mirroring until drivers and settings are loaded.

1. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker
      Devil

Re: It is every AV tech's nightmare

Large or small, a good idea.

Our church does exactly that with their Mac. The extended desktop is a nice shade of black with an unfortunate (but barely noticeable) dark gray bar along the top in the menu bar position. When the usual app (ProPresenter) has "output enabled", it overrides even that bar and defaults to black. (Sometimes we also use micros~1 PowerPoint, but have to disable ProP first.)

A Total Inability To Support Usual Praises from the desktop side is rare and usually involves hardware -- dodgy cable connections, HDMI splitter, HDMI-over-Ethernet adapters, screen power, etc.

Let's not touch on the audio side, though; that's more his work. ====>>

5. NightFox

Thomas Dolby at a packed Scala in Kings Cross back in 2006 - big screens mirroring the sequencer software on which the whole gig was running, a few minutes into the show up pops "Your Cubase trial has expired"

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

I was sitting stoned, halfway back from the stage, at a festival one evening in 1970 at Bath and we never saw any Bork issues at all in those days. But I can still remember the entire performance - icon!!!!!!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

You never once saw a guitarist romping across the stage and yanking the cable out of the amp mid-riff?

6. DJV Silver badge

one impressively packed taskbar

It looks a bit like my Quick Launch bar! I'm hoping that someone (Open Shell?) will definitely be able to bring that back before Windows 11 is forced on us. My screen isn't wide enough to use the taskbar for the number I've got stacked across Quick Launch!

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: one impressively packed taskbar

That is, however, one impressively packed taskbar....

The user of this windows install is a Mac user... I do the same thing, but not to that extent.

7. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

This was a music festival

So wouldn't it be:" Björk! Björk! Björk!"?

1. herman

Re: This was a music festival

“Björk” - Well, if Abba was music…

8. HAL-9000
    Pint

:D

Simply wonderful, keep these coming please

9. aregross
    Thumb Up

That analogue Windows Effects link at the end of the article was pretty cool!

Re: That analogue Windows Effects link at the end of the article was pretty cool!

Impressive. How can you swear at error messages delivered in that way?

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Brixton Wide Awake Festival

Wide awake? With those titchy speakers? Those speakers are for todays teenagers or snowflakes (there is a difference?)

Back in my day, a 12" inch drive unit was called a tweeter. And amps? We had amps that output lots of amps and lots of current (there is a reason they are called amplifiers and not wattifiers) Hell you could almost weld with the output.

Can't add anymore to this as tired doddering old fart that's old enough to get pissed off the sniff of a beermat, needs his afternoon nap...

Re: Brixton Wide Awake Festival

Reminds me of the spaced-out guy dancing in the speaker stack at Bob Marley's Rainbow gig, soon after the Notting Hill riots. Security were told to take a very hands-off approach to their job. Health & Safety was non-existent in those days.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Brixton Wide Awake Festival

I so wish I had got to see the Rainbow in its prime.

Re: I so wish I had got to see the Rainbow in its prime.

I think Bob Marley (supported by Rico Rodriguez) was the first time I was there (about 10 rows from the front in the stalls, not that we could actually sit in our allocated seats as security were understandably laissez faire about enforcing rules). You don't get to appreciate the decor so much in the stalls but at a music gig there's not so much opportunity anyway. Saw Fleetwood Mac (Rumours Tour) there, and I think Genesis too.

11. Fursty Ferret

We contacted Squid's management to find out what the band made of Windows' impromptu appearance but have yet to receive a response.

Possibly because in the grand context of things no one cares.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like