back to article Spot the dog? No, we couldn't either because Spot is a robot employed by United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority

Tired of doing parkour on the internet, robots from Boston Dynamics have been deployed at UK nuclear facilities to carry out routine tasks in dangerous environments. The United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) has held a three-day trial of Boston Dynamics' four-legged Spot at the decommissioned Calder Hall nuclear plant …

1. Skiron

Four legs good, two legs bad!

1. Oh Matron!

5 legs worse

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

8 legs nightmare

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

3 legs, oh hello.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

3 legs

Hah! the chances of seeing anything which naturally has only three legs are a million to one against.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: 3 legs

Oooooh La (La) !!!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Three legs

Yummm

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Terminator

RotM

I don't get tired of watching them. They are astonishing.

1. Chris G

Re: RotM

How long before the radiation mutates the electronics and supercharges the batteries to produce a robotic canine super villain?

1. Dr_N
        Terminator

Like the 'Gooney Bird' Concorde from Nemesis the Warlock?

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Wow, that goes back a bit. I was only talking about Nemesis with my younger brother yesterday, together with the ABC Warriors, Robusters, and switching comics, my Warrior collection.

Must dig out the collected stores again.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

That should have been "collected stories". Why do you only notice this after the 10 minute edit window closes!

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>produce a robotic canine super villain?

That's why they are making robot dogs not robot cats.

I welcome our new robot Labrador overlords - it will be fun with treats and tummy-rubs

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Alert

How long before BBC's "Blue Peter" has a resident Boston Robotics "Spot"?

Get down Shep!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

...Sheep dog trials

forget parkour, let's see Spot do some sheep herding

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Bugger parkour and sheep herding... we need to get rid of useless politicians stat.

Let Spot do the job.

And it will inspire future politicians to do their Jobbe Jolly Well, if not, Spot will come and get ye.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That was my first thought. I haven't seen anything published about how radiation-resistant Boston Dynamics products are. Or is it just a case of suck it and see? Buy one and try it - if you broke it you own it?

2. Kubla Cant

The Boston Dynamics videos include several sequnces where ther demonstrate the recovery capability of robots by trying to push them over.

When a two-legged, anthropoid machine staggers but stays standing, my reaction is "That's impressive engineering". When it's the four-legged version, I can't help thinking "Don't be cruel to the doggy".

3. Dr_N

They are pretty cool. Some apps seem to get people riled. But in general I think they have potential.

3. Paul Floyd

Hopefully it will last longer than the robots used at Chernobyl. I suppose that fido won't be exposed to such extreme levels of radiation.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Yes, that's the problem: the electronics are at least susceptible to radiation as meatware.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I'm not one to dismiss the effects of ionising radiation on microelectronics, but chips are less susceptible than meatbags, even if they're modern chips with ridiculously tiny feature sizes that haven't been radiation hardened. And they're more easily replaceable when burnt out. (Unless they are in orbit.)

And it sounds like they're only being used in situations a human could enter. The high radiation environments are where you use the really expensive clockwork models.

2. ShadowSystems

At yd...

It's not the radiation that kills the poor bots, it's the exposure to whatever that stuff is lurking in the remains of the cafeteria. Now *that* stuff is lethal! =-)p

1. Chris G

Re: At yd...

Ah! You mean the fungoids from the dirty plates?

Can rapidly grow intelligent tendrils like a slime mold that implants spores to control the host, move to other places and infect more hosts before consuming the last one.

1. Unicornpiss

Re: At yd...

They've built up an enlightened society and are now postulating whether there is life on other plates..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

History repeating itself?

I hadn't realised that the UK Atomic Energy Authority had anything at all to do with atomic energy any more. Its website says "UKAEA researches fusion energy and related technologies". But I am sure the Chinese, French and American reactor manufacturers are delighted with the fruits of the billions that the British previously spent on researching nuclear fission.

Since British Governments are congenitally clueless about how to commercially exploit any research, and quite happy to see any British company that does manage that sold off abroad, perhaps yet again the UK is subsidising the research to enable foreign corporations to turn a profit selling us its end products in a few years time.

1. ian 22

Re: History repeating itself?

Government cluelessness is hardly a problem only in Britain!

1. seldom

Re: History repeating itself?

British Government cluelessness is a huge problem for Britain.

Sadly everyone else just laughs.

5. Azamino
    Unhappy

The problem with nuclear summed up in one throwaway phrase .....

"...... a care and maintenance phase from 2033 to 2104"

By which time the benefactors of the energy produced will be long deceased and the cost of disposal firmly on the shoulders of those who saw no benefit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: The problem with nuclear summed up in one throwaway phrase .....

That's nothing compared to the problem of long term storage of high level radioactive waste.

If the Cro-Magnons had built nuclear power stations at the end of the last ice age 12,000 years ago, we would still be having to be guard it.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Stop

If the Cro-Magnons had built nuclear power stations

then 12,000 years of technological evolution would have solved this a LONG time ago...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Angel

Whether or not there is any good solution to the disposal high level radioactive waste is strictly constrained by the scientific reality that we have no control over.

There really is no such thing as magic, however hard people might wish for it - and at least some of the human race has learnt that over the past 12,000 years.

2. martinusher Silver badge

We built a very nice facility in Nevada to manage nuclear waste. Technically there's nothing wrong with it. Politically, its a non-starter. (So we keep the high level waste in (leaky) tanks dotted around the country.)

Fortunately nuclear waste lasts a lot longer than politicians.

2. ravenviz Silver badge

This programme on BBC Sounds is well worth a listen, about how our descendants might deal with nuclear waste awareness.

"The Nuclear Priesthood"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zdq9

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Facepalm

if they had continually improved the power station and kept the reactors running (by replacing old parts, improving capacity, etc. etc.) instead, it would FUND ITSELF. Waste disposal, like for anything, is part of the operating cost. So other plants would send their waste to Sellafield (for a fee), let's say, and it would get stored and/or processed there, and the site would have its own operating reactors, and no "saddling of expenses" on future generations because it would be SELF SUSTAINING.

and "clever engineering" might even make use of the decay heat.

however, blocking power generation and scientific and engineering progress because "PHEAR NUKE THINGS" is NOT helping... and is CREATING the "saddle expenses on the next generation" problem you pointed out.

(I know something about fission reactors, having operated one for the U.S. Navy back in the day)

icon, because, facepalm

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

waste disposal and operating cost

And no-one factored in the "cost" of dumping all that CO2 into the atmosphere, which I think is going to dwarf nuclear remediation. Ironically, the nuclear accident exclusion zones like Chernobyl and Fukushima seem to be something of a boon for the non-human denizens of the planet, who can get on with re-wilding without our interference.

6. Nunyabiznes
    Terminator

Obvious application

And here is the most obvious application for robots - doing jobs that are inherently too dangerous for humans to do without cumbersome safety equipment.

Until of course they figure out it is easier to get rid of the humans than it is to do their dirty work.

7. Danny 2

Mickey the mongrel

My dad took me and my dog on a trip to Windscale at the height of the emissions in the seventies, he thought the nuclear mess was interesting to visit. Mickey was charming and brave and I'd hug him every day, but he was also a mutt and he delighted in rolling over the corpses of the many hundreds of dead seagulls there.

We never thought why all the dead seagulls, apparently they drank and swam upon vast open vats of radioactive waste water. Which are still there, still open.

Mickey died the next year and my own health plummeted from fittest in my year to least fit.

I know, correlation is not causation but if someone kills your dog and robs you of your health then suspicions arise. To hell with pro-nuke Monbiot and his pseudo scientific propaganda, we do not need nuclear power, we can't afford it, and if there are future generations then they won't appreciate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gofman

1. ian 22

Re: Mickey the mongrel

The Hanford Atomic Reservation in Washington state is at least as problematic as Windscale. Vast tanks of liquid radioactive chemicals must constantly be stirred lest solids settle and begin fissioning, causing the liquids to boil and vaporize.

Unfortunately, the tanks are leaking and the radioactive effluvia are draining towards the mighty Columbia River, threatening the West Coast of the United States. At least we have plutonium bombs to show for it all.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That’s all we need

Radioactive dogs.

Who’s going to operate the lead pooper scooper?

9. andrewj

I remember back in the 80s as a 6th Form student doing a summer job at Marchwood Engineering Labs. Some of the 1st year university student interns were working on software for a robot to decommission nuclear stations. Occasionally it would have whoops moments where it rotated the opposite direction from expected to reach a position. I on the other hand was merely allowed to rewrite the database software in Clipper for how to weld the stations together. Those were the days....

10. Unicornpiss
    Alert

*shiver*

This reminded me of the "dogs" from Black Mirror, which were terrifying.

11. Bump in the night
    Mushroom

Nuclear powered perptual motion machine

Ideally Spot would be nuclear powered, consuming the remains of the plant as it patrolled it.

12. Phil Kingston

Annoyed unit was not given a British nickname.

13. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Mushroom

Fahrenheit 451

Anybody thinking of Fahrenheit 451?

Icon, the closest thing I can get to burning stuff.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like