back to article Dozy ISS cosmonauts woken by smoke alarm on eve of 5-hour spacewalk

Russian cosmonauts on the International Space Station (ISS) had their preparations for an important spacewalk rudely interrupted early this morning when an emergency alarm woke them all up just before 2am UTC. "An emergency alarm sounded in the service module (Zvezda) of the International Space Station's Russian segment at 04: …

1. toxicdragon

OK I'm convinced.

At this point it has to be deliberate right? They are trying to either cripple the ISS or everyone on board, but why?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: OK I'm convinced.

One of the cosmonauts is feeling ill and resorted to extreme measures because he wants to go back to Earth early.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
      Joke

It's a cover story for someone smoking a cigarette in the toilet.

3. slimshady76

Try to schedule a routine check at your space station module local dealer for your 20+ years old space station and have all the aged components checked/replaced when necessary... It might be possible in 50-100 years, but right now, it just means you will have to accommodate the crew in a smaller segment of your orbital facilities...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"the International Space Station's Russian segment"

I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to get rid of that.

1. PerlyKing
      Unhappy

Re: "get rid of that"

Unfortunately the Russians thought of that during the design phase, and it's the Russian segment that provides "guidance, navigation, communication, life support, and propulsion for the entire ISS". So we can't just cut it loose.

1. mholland

so what exactly does the other half provide?

1. slimshady76

Nice pictures of folks playing ukulele in zero g with ThinkPads plastered across the background?

3. FuzzyTheBear
    Mushroom

Activate the exploding bolts ..

time to get rid of that peice of junk that almost killed everyone sending the station spinning , now this , smoke , burnt plastic .. lest not wait any further .. one put their guys in a capsule for a speedy return to earth , then blow the bolts and throw that module in the ocean .. or directly on Moscow .. this is obviously a piece of space debris and needs to be treated as such. Junk it before it kills everyone.

4. mjflory
    Pint

Routing the internet cables

Yesterday I rerouted some of my internet cables, then helped a neighbor reroute some of her internet cables. A few hours ago the ISS app on my phone excitedly told me a spacewalk was in progress. I tuned in and they were, yes, rerouting internet cables!

A minute ago I checked in on the spacewalk and Pyotr and Oleg were still rerouting the internet cables, and they sound very tired. Working in spacesuits, handling the cables with space-gloves, working in Zero-G, they have my respect for their persistence. Sometimes they have to stop for a minute just to catch their breath. The back of my desk is a cable-bound mess, but my rerouting was nothing compared to that.

Don't know if anyone else caught Piotr's (?) description of the round cable-spool cover, over the disposal of which there was much deliberation. He got it loose, held it up, and said, "What a beautiful object! This is the source of all those UFO rumours!" So now we know.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Routing the internet cables

I got woken up in the middle of the night, last night - went back to sleep OK and went for a walk this morning. And nobody makes any fuss about that! Admittedly I've not plugged in any cables this morning, unless you count charging my phone.

2. KarMann Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Routing the internet cables

Now, I'm inevitably imagining that it's Pitr Dubovich, of User Friendly fame, up there routink those cables.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

Another sabotage? That may be the Russian explanation, again.

French astronaut

We say Spationaut

6. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"Can anyone smell burning ...?"

"Yes I can!"

"So can I!"

"Well, as people floating around in space and totally dependant on the integrity of the tin can we are in, we have two options. One, investigate the source of the excess heat or fire producing the smell. Extinguish it and/or take remedial action to secure the environment and ensure our safety. Or two, open the windows and get rid of the nasty smell ..."

That report of an incident, immediate safety protocols enacted and remedial action taken is probably the most scary thing I've heard from the ISS. Even "a bulb blew in a lamp fitting and stunk a bit" would satisfactorily explain things.

7. Zebo-the-Fat

A fire in space is just scary!

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Unhappy

Sailors fear fire more than bad weather, for the same reasons: Nowhere to go if your vessel is on fire. Obviously it's even worse when instead of ice cold water you're surrounded by deadly vacuum.

Fire alarm on the ISS must be terrifying.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like