back to article Tennessee agrees to pay Oracle $65m for Nashville location plan

The State of Tennessee has agreed to pay Oracle $65m in incentives in order to build an expensive southeast hub in the state capital of Nashville. Big Red’s move to the South hit the headlines earlier this year when the omnipresent software biz agreed to invest, according to the Nashville mayor's office, $1.2bn in a new campus …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

$1.2B? Really?

That's a hell of a lot outside of California.

Or is this one of those "up to" things where they put in a couple temp office trailers for $10K and shrug their shoulders?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: $1.2B? Really?

That's according to the mayor's office, FWIW. We'd be happy to break down the figure.

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is it that when the yanks

bribe companies to do what they want, it is called an economic incentive?

And when any other country in the world does same, it is called an unfair subsidy?

And out comes the sanctions hose

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is it that when the yanks

> bribe companies to do what they want, it is called an economic incentive?

State aid to companies = [necessary] economic incentive

State aid to unemployed/disabled/sick people = communism

3. Imhotep

Moving Just In Time

I moved to the Nashville area about ten years ago, and in that time its growth (at least in our area) has been phenomenal.

In those circumstances, I was wondering why the city government would consider financial incentives to encourage companies to do what they've been doing anyway.

Then it occured to me: almost none of these companies are moving in to the scandal ridden, mismanaged city.

Interesting fact: The Nashville area is the de facto headquarters of the healthcare industry in the US - even for those companies without a hospital or clinic in Tennessee. The company I worked for owned hospitals and clinics all across the Sun Belt - but not in Tennessee. The Blue Cross for another southern state (private health insurance) has their IT department located here. And the HQ for the largest hospital chain is also located here.

It makes for an interesting game of musical chairs as the industry IT talent is located here and the various companies poach each other's employees - which keeps wages high.

4. Methos_Vk

no state income tax

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh good, Oracle is going to be stealing MY tax dollars.

The corporate bribes are getting old. This garbage needs to stop. PLEASE, other countries, BRING ON THE SANCTIONS against these companies getting government subsidies in violation of international law.

6. Potemkine! Silver badge

Companies are not shy when it's about blackmailing authorities to get taxpayers' money.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Oracle hillbillies

Does this move mean Larry will be ablle to marry his sister?

8. disgruntled yank

Larry, you tease!

Back in December Oracle announced that it was moving its corporate headquarters to Austin, Texas.

Sample announcements: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/tech/oracle-headquarters-austin-texas-california/index.html , or https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/12/california_oracle_texas/. And now I suppose he never writes, he never calls.

Perhaps the next big thing should be luxury recreational vehicles (RVs) for the nomadic corporate HQ. One could move from city to city all the easier, collecting $200 * x each time one passes go.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Larry, you tease!

"Perhaps the next big thing should be luxury recreational vehicles (RVs) for the nomadic corporate HQ. "

RVs? i thought they were called SuperYachts?

2. BJS

Re: Larry, you tease!

It's a variation on Mel Brooks' film "The Producers". Larry promises to relocate Oracle HQ to multiple states and collects incentives from each state, expecting that he can break his promises later due to an "economic downturn". Sadly, the economy is booming and so he retreats to his private Hawaiian island and claims that he can't be extradited to the mainland. When that doesn't work, he's off to prison -- where he oversells shares in a proposed prison-based cryptomining operation...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not the headquarters - I don't know where you got that from.

It will be a large collection of office space, a "digital hub" and a campus. And for those who are making the hillbilly jokes about Nashville, that image is a decade or more outdated. Nashville is a "liberal" enclave within a conservative state in the same way that Austin is within Texas.

Actual reporting - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/oracle-plans-1-2-billion-campus-in-nashville-creating-8-500-jobs-01618437488

10. GuildenNL

HQ not moving here

Just for clarification as several people here mentioned HQ.

As reported in the Austin American-Statesman April 14, 2021: Austin-based Oracle considering $1.2 billion expansion in Nashville

https://www.statesman.com/story/business/2021/04/14/oracle-austin-software-giant-considers-huge-nashville-expansion/7222597002/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like