back to article Computacenter, one of Europe's largest resellers, struggling with data centre kit, up to 6-month lead times

The mood music in tech land isn't so much about workspace projects - that's so 2020 - it's more about biz customers again investing in data centre hardware, when they can get hold of it. At least that's the view of one of Europe's largest resellers: Computacenter, which turns 40 next month, and today outlined results for the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

where are my chips?

the cry of a thousand project managers!!

Anon as some people believe they are at the top of the list as our call is important to CC.

1. maddoxx

Re: where are my chips?

I think in reality it is about crisps, isn't?

2. Adelio

Keeping Things Close

I hope that the supply issues will encourage companies to try and source parts a little closer to home. With so much of what we use being shipped for many thousands of miles, this is always going to be problems if there is a blockage like Covid or the Sueze Canal issue.

If your supplier is only a few hundred miles away it is much easier to get items that if they are on the other side of the wolrd and delivery should also be a lot quicker.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Keeping Things Close

Riiight, so we're gonna go shop at Kev's Komputers when we do our datacentre refresh?

3. Petalium

Maybe time to look at optimising the existing resources instead of installing more hardware?

Efficient code, store less data and use better communication protocols?

Added benefit: less energy used, reduced shipping and reduced use of raw materials

1. tip pc Silver badge
      Coat

"Added benefit: less energy used, reduced shipping and reduced use of raw materials"

Where is the tax incentive in that?

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Meh

But... but..

Pretty... Shiny... CEO wants!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon