back to article Fujitsu wins £5m contract to support the UK's troubled Border Crossing system

The UK Home Office has handed Fujitsu a £5m contract to support a border system beset with delays. The Border Crossing system provides a "watch list" for agents to check passengers against. Under the terms, Fujitsu's contract runs from 4 September 2021 to 2024, according to the award notice. The project is part of the Home …

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Bastards

Expect to see customs and immigration staff in jail any time soon.

Those cunts at Fujitsu should never get a penny of tax-payers' money ever again unless it's paying for food and board in one of HM's prisons.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

A program without objectives

Is just an excuse to give money hand over fist to someone without expecting anything in return, or at least, anything useful in return.

How is it that, in the 3rd Millennium of our common age, there are still people who write up commercial orders without a clue as to what they expect in return ?

Could that moron please be fired ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A program without objectives

> How is it that, in the 3rd Millennium of our common age, there are still people who write up commercial orders without a clue as to what they expect in return ?

How is it that, in the 3rd Millennium of our common age, there are still people who post comments informed solely by what they read in the article without any thought whatsoever?

Downvoted for predictable tedium. Do you really - I mean really - think that a government department is allowed to issue a tender without understanding what they expect to get in return?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: A program without objectives

@Dan 55

To be fair a lot of the covid reaction was panic (not just in the UK). Hit swiftly by a virus which was played down in severity until the last minute when it was then over reacted to in an attempt to control the situation. Loads of money will have been wasted on failures just to get the few successes in dealing with it.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Martin Gregorie

Failure is a mandatory chargeable feature

... or so it would appear given the stellar design, implementation and system testing process that Fujitsu used when they built that monument to excellence known as the Post Office's Horizons financial system.

Does anybody know the court dates for the next round in that never-ending black comedy?

5. jason_derp

How many

How many people working at the border crossing are going to have step in front of a moving vehicle after they get ground into paste for letting three people on the watch-list per day in for the past five years?

6. TheProf
    Joke

Simple

Dear Home Office,

Just stamp the back of peoples hands when they leave the country, holidays or work for example, and only let those with the stamp back in.

Works for nightclubs so it's a proven system.

I accept all currencies as payment. And there's a 'tip-jar' by the door if you're so inclined.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Simple

Don't give them ideas! It's only a short step from "stamp" to "tattoo"!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

Re: Simple

And then from "tattoo" to "chip"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully their last

Seeing some of the (ex?) staff have been interviewed for perjury and given the stories of meetings held in Bracknell with Fujitsu and Post Office staff where it was agreed that evidence was to be withheld from defence counsels...

I'm sure many more meeting took place/

Also consider this. Michael Keegan

He was very senior in Fujitsu and oversaw posts of the Horizon IT system, he did such a good job for Fujitsu who were helping their customer (The Post Office) prosecute their own staff and send Fujitsu staff to lie in court on their customers behalf, he was appointed to run Fujitsu UK and Ireland in 2014 (OK, there may also have been other reasons he got the top job)

In 2019 he left and started work at the Cabinet Office in a role that oversaw the awarding of Government contracts to companies, such as Fujitsu.

I'm not saying there is a connection that Fujitsu, who offer 'value for money' (for that read cheap) are winning pretty much every Government contract they are going for, but his is married to Gilliam Keegan, the current Minister for Apprenticeships and Skill (this stuff writes itself!).

How he has not been made to resign from the Cabinet Office is beyond me, and I hope that before the Judaical review ends next August he is made to answer some serious questions.

If there is any justice, there will be many solicitors, barristers, Fujitsu staff (in managerial, director and executive positions), Post Office management and MPs (Jo Swinson, Sir Ed Davy and Vince Cable who were all in charge of the Post Office whilst in Government and did nothing, despite being written to) are left feeling the full front of the law, both civil and criminal.

Let's just hope that this is the last contract they get, their senior management team redefine the work incompetent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Hopefully their last

> before the Judaical review

That's an unfortunate auto-correctism.

[Icon: me reaching to check that my kippah is still in place.]

1. h3nb45h3r

Re: Hopefully their last

Yeah... about that

Went to edit it and it timed out whilst I was distracted by something else, my bad, apologies to all concerned

8. codejunky Silver badge

On a positive note

At least Pritti will be allowing our sea border to be enforced a little more by having migrant boats pushed back into French waters for the French to pick up. And withholding money if the French dont start doing their job of stopping these illegal migrants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On a positive note

Only a fool would believe/say that. The UK is now in a weaker position than it was 9 months ago with respect to border control. The whole world is laughing at the UK/Home Office/Home Secretary. Even those who work in Border Force cannot believe the HS' incompetence.

@AC

Which part does coward disagree with?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Your ill-informed, dog-whistling diatribe speaks for itself.

Here's a more useful link on the bigger picture.

And here's a donation link.

@AC

Nice link, nothing wrong with that, and now explain how that relates to my comment?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like