back to article Glasgow firm fined £150k after half a million nuisance calls, spoofing phone number, using false trading names

A Glasgow-based company is facing a £150,000 penalty handed down by the UK's data watchdog for making more than half a million nuisance calls about bogus green energy deals. The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) fined DialADeal Scotland Ltd (DDSL) after an investigation found that it had targeted numbers registered with …

1. Valeyard

influencer

Pictured in front of the shreddies aisle or in a small kitchen in your princess dress while you're waiting for the cuppa to brew probably, it's just so amazing I can't look away at how british it is

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Re: influencer

As a Glaswegian I can recognise the type ... but by God that's a hard 43.

1. Valeyard

wear sunscreen!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"wear sunscreen!"

In Glasgow?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It can substitute for butter in many recipes.

2. seven of five

Sure, if you use enough [tm], it will also have the water roll off.

3. katrinab Silver badge
            Paris Hilton

Have you seen the photos in the Daily Record article linked below?

Her skin is very definitely gammon coloured, so yes, she needs to wear sunscreen.

2. Lotaresco

There was quite a bit of detail about the directors of this scam company in the Daily Record. I have to say that the only thing that the person in question managed to influence was a dry heave.

3. Lotaresco

The Daily Record article is here, worth a read for the extra detail.

1. vogon00

The famed Scottish publication The Daily record reported on the 5th of September 2021 that 'In an interview with a local Facebook site in Helensburgh in March this year, McCuaig was described as a “fashion influencer”.

In other (alleged) news, in conversations with several people who wish to remain anonymous [1], a large proportion of these [2] purported that McCuaig is a “Total waste of space”.

:-)

[1] Protecting my sources. [2] 51% of participants agree.

2. the hawk

I’m sure this will stop them.

After all, what could a company that spoofs phone numbers and uses false trading names to conduct illegal activity possibly do to get back up and running?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: I’m sure this will stop them.

Directors can now be jailed. They have to go through the motions first.

2. Flywheel
      Mushroom

Re: I’m sure this will stop them.

That's a question I asked myself and a number of Trading Standards organisations a couple of years ago when I tried to pursue a builder who'd run off with some money.

I ended up spending a week collecting useless information from the sh*tsh*w Companies House who eventually admitted via email that "they take details offered in good faith and don't check the validity".

Anyone that relies on such a crock of misinformation is doomed, which is why these crims can cheerfully carrying on trading and destroying peoples' lives.

3. IanRS

How do you find them?

I am on the TPS list, and still get a lot of green deal, insulation fitting and oven cleaning calls, although the latter seems to have dropped off recently. However, since the caller ID number is spoofed and any company name they give is likely to be false too, how do you know who to complain about to the ICO?

The obvious fraud ones - "I'm calling from BT/Microsoft..." I normally respond to with "[Do you sleep well at night knowing| Does your mother know] you spend your days [committing fraud | as a petty criminal]". They normally hang up.

1. My-Handle

Re: How do you find them?

Alternative responses include "Which one, I have several", "What's a computer?" and "I have a VCR...".

That's if you even feel like responding in English, rather than whatever pseudo-French you can remember from your school days, farmyard noises, or even a quick Google search for a fax machine soundbyte.

1. seven of five

Gotten Tack, das ist eine secret number, rah rah rah...?

1. My-Handle

Sounds like good pseudo-French to me... then again, I only got a C in my German GCSE, twenty years ago.

1. seven of five

Well, it used to be "french", ca 1940-44

Sorry, but nicht verrry much :)

2. tony72

As mentioned in this article, some companies specifically target people on the TPS list, so I'm not sure there's any point to being on it. I don't have a handset on my landline, but my mobile number which I've had for decades receives a spam call maybe once every three months if that, usually robocalls about my recent car accident which I didn't have. Not on the TPS. I try to be selective as to who I give the number to and keep my fingers crossed.

3. NXM Silver badge

I often use my 'old confused bloke who doesn't have the right glasses on" routine and make up credit card numbers to waste their time. Fun for boring afternoons.

4. Boo Radley

One day last week I got a call stating that my Social Security Number was involved in criminal activity and a warrant for my arrest was going to be issued. I pushed the number to speak to a real person, and when one came on the line I gave him a piece of my mind before hanging up.

For the next two days, I got the same call, from different numbers, every 20 minutes. They certainly taught me to know my place, never again will I engage anyone on these calls, I'll simply hang up immediately.

1. Sub 20 Pilot

I would think that this type of case would be classed as criminal harrassment or threatening behaviour or whatever the Guardian readers allow us to call it this week.

If not then the system is even worse than I thought it was.

Worst case scenario, phone the police and tell them you are one of the Guardian's favoured minority groups and that this is a ''hate crime'' as opposed to a normal friendly crime against a lot of people, which can be safely ignored.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

It is definitely illegal. The problem is that nobody wants to investigate it. The police don't know who it is and don't have the resources or desire to focus on a crime where you were harassed when there are larger crimes to deal with. Those regulators who do have that kind of crime as their particular remit frequently delay taking the necessary action, don't find their victims, or sometimes completely ignore all the reports.

1. tiggity Silver badge

yes, no resources, those are better spent investigating Matt Hancock photo leaks apparently as per the article

4. WanderingHaggis

I really wonder a) how much they make and b) is it enough to cover the fine and still make it worthwhile. They must be getting a return for their "investment"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

is it enough to cover the fine

Fines and financial liabilities are nothing more than a theoretical inconvenience if you have a private limited company or limited liability partnership that can be shut down at a moment's notice.

If a company doesn't have enough money to pay the fine (or any other debt), then the directors aren't liable, and the liability of the shareholders is strictly limited to the share capital if they haven't paid it into the company already - which is rarely more than a couple of quid or so.

You will see people on this forum and elsewhere jumping up and down saying that the directors become liable if it can be proved in court that they mismanaged the company, but this never happens. Extensive lobbying by directors of large companies over many years has made that almost impossible, otherwise they would risk being jailed for the sort of corporate scandals that frequently appear on the front pages of newspapers.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: is it enough to cover the fine

The lack of personal responsibility for GDPR infringements, and the flaccid enforcement by the ICO, almost looks intentional.

I can count the number of companies that have ceased trading after a data leak on the fingers one one nose.

Especially when they actually go on raids when Very Important People have their data leaked!

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

The income goes straight into their (overseas offshore) pockets. The fine goes against a fly-by-night company.

Anyone can set up a company (buy them off the shelf indeed).

Then move on when that gets stifled.

A banned director will set up their cousin/mother/in-laws as directors of the next Phoenix

5. Torben Mogensen

Peanuts

£150K for 500K calls is 30p per call. That's not a lot -- I'm sure they paid the caller staff more than that per call. Spam callers should be fined a lot more, otherwise fines are just part of the budgeted expenses.

1. KarMann Silver badge

Re: Peanuts

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that, considering how little they probably pay their call centre workers, and how much they pressure them to make N calls per hour. It could come pretty close to even, either way.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

It's called a "fine"

Because it's fine to pay this much...

3. ThatOne Silver badge
      Unhappy

> £150K for 500K calls is 30p per call. That's not a lot

It doesn't really matter, does it. It could be £1 or £150 billion - they won't pay it anyway.

4. Sub 20 Pilot

Not fined but have their assets seized and be put in prison. Nothing else works. For decades they have just changed to another company name and carry on without a pause. Putting money and property in a different name should make no difference.

If our esteemed gov wants to look like it is doing something useful then for fuck's sake get this done. I doubt it would have any negative fallout whatever most people's political leaning. ( With the possible exception of the Guardian readers and the BBC.)

6. DarkLordofSurrey

Usual dissolve company start a new one

32. On 4 June 2020, the Commissioner applied to Companies House for disclosure of the home addresses of the two directors of DialADeal.

On 9th June a new company SIMPLE LEAD LTD was incorporated by, yes you've guessed it, the same two directors at the same address...

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: Usual dissolve company start a new one

In other words, the law is utterly toothless against such callers. Company 1 dissolved, so can't pay the fine. Open company 2, rinse and repeat company 3, 4, 5...

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Sure, and that's precisely the problem. If is wasn't that easy and without risk, nobody would do it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They tried to close and phoenix, however:

Companies House records seen by the Sunday Mail show that on May 15 this year, both McCuaig and Kirkpatick tried to have their company “struck off” but that action was stopped seven days later by the ICO.

Score one for the ICO this time.

So now they will be the directors of an insolvent company, there is then a chance the Insolvency Service will ban them as directors (if investigated properly).

1. doublelayer Silver badge

There are a few problems though:

1. They don't do that with a lot of companies, making this a somewhat rare option.

2. If these people are banned as directors, they can find someone else to be the director while they continue to operate the new company.

3. The only consequence if they're penalized, which is not guaranteed, is that they're not allowed to direct a company. They do not serve a sentence or even pay the rest of that fine.

A new law adding these things as a crime resulting in personal penalties could do a lot for those who conduct it in the country. It may not be as effective against companies running everything from a different country, but I'd rather deal with half this stuff than all of it.

7. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

“Hi, I’m Dave, you local energy adviser”

“Sure you are…” click.

8. Giles C Silver badge

To avoid these

Two options

If you have a landline get a phone with bt call guardian or similar service, only numbers in your phones address book will get straight through, everyone else has to identify themselves and most call scams won’t.

On a mobile block all unknown numbers calling - iPhone this is built in, I think you need an app for Android. My phone sends all unknown / withheld numbers straight to voicemail. If it important they will leave a message.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To avoid these

But the whole point of registering with the TPS is that you shouldn't have to construct your own whitelist of numbers. Many people can't do this anyway - it would effectively block new numbers e.g. from Social Services or NHS who may need to contact you.

It won't go away until Ofcom get serious about enforcement, and I don't think they are really bothered.

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Forwarding to voicemail causes legitimate missed calls to be buried. Which has cost me money in the past ("You sure you want this fence panel this size?")

3. druck Silver badge

When you answer the landline, just wait 10 seconds without saying anything, any automated calls will disconnect, but real people will say hello.

1. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge

Agreed.

And when the real person tells me who they are (i.e. doctor's surgery), I explain why I gave them the silent start. I have _never_ had anyone be anything other than understanding about the tactic.

One day it will be a smart scam merchant, at which point I will ask what their mother thinks about how they earn a living. No, wait - I'll ask her myself next time I see her working a street corner.

Yup, I'm very sympathetic to scam callers

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

unsolicited phone calls were about non-existent "Green Deal energy saving schemes"

on top of the extremely harsh fine, the individual involved should have also been given a long-term, say, 2 hr detention order (suspended immediately for good behaviour) for attempted fraud, no?

I see, this would have been too harsh indeed!

1. AnonEMusk Noel

Re: unsolicited phone calls were about non-existent "Green Deal energy saving schemes"

A lot of criminals choose fraud as the disparity between sizes of prison sentences and monetary gain can be colossal. The punishments rarely fit the crime when compared to other stealing offences.

10. AnonEMusk Noel
    Holmes

Too lenient

I feel prison sentences would be a better deterrent and a more suitable punishment for these scumbags who prey on the vulnerable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: Too lenient

It will never happen, because one thing leads to another, and it could end up with a director of a UK multinational being personally held to account for the actions of the company they control.

Since this sort of accountability would put vast numbers of our MPs and noble lords who bulk out the paltry chump change they get for their parliamentary duties with some fat directorships in potential jeopardy, they are hardly likely to propose or vote for this kind of naive crack-brained commie nonsense.

1. Lotaresco

Re: Too lenient

"It will never happen, because one thing leads to another, and it could end up with a director of a UK multinational being personally held to account for the actions of the company they control."

I used to work for a pharmaceutical company. The directors were always inclined to grumble about the costs of doing business and they hated the constant complaining from the scientists that products had to be thoroughly tested and shown to be safe and effective. There were occasions where some director or other would try to influence people to launch products that were "marginal" just so they could try to recoup their investment. They didn't care that someone could go to jail because the person going to jail would be a scientist that they saw as a lackey.

Then the FDA changed the rules, introducing "strict liability" that mean that the directors were personally responsible for the safety and efficacy of all of their products. Overnight the business changed suddenly money was no object, every product was to be tested thoroughly, suspect products were taken off shelves, side-effect monitoring (pharmacovigilance) became a well oiled machine and we IT bods were busy creating systems to contain, analyse, and present the data.

It's amazing what fear can achieve.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've this phone call many times over the last few months.

"Hi, I'm Chris, your local energy adviser"

"Well, you should get a proper job then shouldn't you!" <click>

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Publish director's home phone

They should publish the director's home phone and mobile numbers. I have a few Energy Deals I would like to talk to him about at 2am on a Sunday morning.

And "March 2020" makes me laugh. My TPS number has been getting a few of these in the past couple of months. I generally "Put them on hold" while I "get the boss". Find them some nice music to listen to. Something gentle and calming like Crass.

14. Sam Therapy
    WTF?

Dear Sweet Pink Baby Jesus

She is truly frightening.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like