back to article Microsoft previews free Visual Studio Code for the Web

Microsoft is previewing Visual Studio Code for the Web, a code editor that runs entirely in the browser. The post introducing the new service was put up yesterday but is returning "page not found" at the time of writing, so possibly was published prematurely. But it is expected to return soon, since the technology looks the …

1. sharpwolverine

1. Anything that requires an account to use is not free

2. How much longer before VS Code is web only? I give it 2 years.

2. Howard Sway Silver badge

I just don't get it

Why on earth do people keep pushing and pushing the idea that what is essentially a browser based text editor, latency and all, could possibly be in any way superior to a local one running on a developer's own PC?

1. RichardBarrell

Re: I just don't get it

It splits state between the local and remote processes. The latency only kicks in on save, not during ordinary text editing. Save doesn't block the UI either.

If you're in a "save, build, deploy to remote environment, test, edit" cycle then having the editor save directly to the remove environment can be a net time saving. This is my experience with AWS's equivalent thing (which I think is also based on VSCode).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"then having the editor save directly to the remove environment can be a net time saving"

I have been saying this about vi or emacs over ssh for decades. It Looks like "modern" developers are just about catching up. Minus of course being able to run debuggers, linters, cscope, doxygen, etc on a restrictive consumer web text editor.

1. frankyunderwood123

Careful with that neckbeard chap!

There's nothing restrictive about VsCode - each to their own.

Seriously, if it was restrictive, then everyone would be using vi or emacs.

I have met very few people who can make vi or emacs "fly" like an editor such as VSCode or IntelliJ - they are a rare breed - and usually the "not invented here, not interested" types.

And heck, if you really want to, you can vim emulation for VSCode - what's not to like?

Embrace whatever tool makes your life easier - and seriously, cut it out with the quotes of "modern" developers, it's such a bullshit trope.

I know a LOT of developers in their 50's who have been coding for over 40 years - excellent developers - who just embrace whatever works for them.

No need to pigeon hole people into areas just because of your own narrow minded prejudices.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
            Devil

"No need to pigeon hole people into areas just because of your own narrow minded prejudices."

I can tell you're new around here!

2. werdsmith Silver badge

"No need to pigeon hole people into areas just because of your own narrow minded prejudices."

Says the person who began their comment with: "Careful with that neckbeard chap!".

Not that I disagree mind :)

2. RichardBarrell

Mm. Running vi or emacs on the remote machine over ssh *does* have high UI latency during text editing. You can almost compensate for it in vi by typing ahead, but from experience it's not a fun or reliable experience.

Running VSCode in a web browser is more like using emacs tramp-mode. Edit locally, save remotely. I assume there's a vim plugin somewhere with similar functionality.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

People don't keep pushing.

Companies managing clouds do.

Because an actual developer will not be pulled into this fairy tale.

An actual developer needs his local network, access to what it is he's working on, and no external dependencies.

3. LordWilmore

Straw Man Tilts At Windmill

I don't think anybody has said the web based version is superior, in fact the article clearly states the exact opposite but explains the potential benefit for certain scenarios.

4. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

I have code-server running on a FreeBSD machine.

Latency is not at all noticeable, even when accessing it on my iPad tethered to my iPhone while sitting on a train.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Yeah, SSH latency is barely anything. Even less than a local copy of Visual Studio with intellisense and autocomplete enabled.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Letting a web page access your filesystem

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Letting a web page access your filesystem

Why should anyone ever require Internet web access to edit a local file?

4. Mr Dogshit
    FAIL

Why?

What's the point?

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Why?

so that microsoft can collect EVEN MORE data, obviously.

5. werdsmith Silver badge

I could quite make good use of this but I don't understand where the toolchain runs.

I mean if I'm using a web C editor with GCC, where does the compiler run?

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but I'm not quite up to speed with this.

1. katrinab Silver badge

If it is anything like the copy of code-server I have, then, on the server. Though MS might not allow people to compile things remotely due to crypto-miners abusing similar resources from GitHub and other similar services.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

If I'm editing on a web editor, then I have to pull the files local to compile or debug then I'm at a loss to understand the use of this. As I said, I must be missing something.

6. r0land
    Go

This is not that new really, I found that Eclipse Che is already doing this.

It can probably be a good way of doing things, post covid, with hybrid working arrangements.

https://github.com/eclipse/che

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like