back to article Power users of Microsoft OneDrive suffer massive inconvenience: Read-only files

Microsoft is still completing a fix for an issue with its OneDrive cloud storage that "affects a large subset of users worldwide, who have a storage quota that exceeds 1TB," in which files become read-only. The problem, incident OD280960, was first reported on August 26th, and the company's engineers soon worked out that some …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

Power users

Bloody nuisance. They actually use the product. They find the kinks. And then patches must be made.

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Ah the cloud. Wherein lies cuckoo land.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

RE: cuckoo land

Are you suggesting people are going to find files laid by other users in their nests?

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Sorry about that

We apologize again for the fault in OneDrive.

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Sparkus

at least it wasn't

expired certificates again, that problem took what, 3-4 years to 'fix' in the 365 and Azure world......

6. ITS Retired

Apparently Microsoft software has gotten so complex that

it exceeds their ability to properly maintain it.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Apparently Microsoft software has gotten so complex that

That happened at about Windows XP.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Power User' and 'OneDrive' in the Same Sentence?

Irrespective of anything that affects the usual or perceived performance, this is precisely why I invested in a NAS.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When investigating why large amounts of space (cloud or on premises) have been consumed, it isn't usually due to the actions of "power users". I usually find things like:

Download an extremely large zip file. Then download it a couple more times just in case. Extract said zip file one or more times, while still keeping all the downloaded zips. Copy the extracted contents into a subfolder of the extracted contents, possibly more than once.

Store 4 copies of the same extremely large training videos. Colleagues can usually help with this one by also storing their own copies.

Save your entire mp3 archive to the file server.

Store 2 full series of your favorite cooking show on the file server.

Take all photos at the maximum possible settings your camera supports and keep everything, even when you only need a couple of them at postage stamp size for a newsletter, or they are not work related (usually weddings and holiday snaps). Again, usually more than once.

1. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge

While this might be the case in some companies, this sentiment as expressed above causes my colleagues and me to make do with 5-ish TB of NAS storage for all our purposes. While this might have been well 5 years ago when the company was founded, it is insanely insufficient now that we are 50+ people.

The manager responsible for IT always said, just clean out unnneeded stuff from the NAS. If I gave you more, you would only exchange the latest TV series over it.

Bloody manglement.

If it weren't for OneDrive, which comes with our micros~1 subscription, some colleagues wouldn't be able to do their job anymore.

The work-place has quite some parallels with a Kindergarden.

1. Adelio

well i have 40Tb on my home has. I would expect any company to start with 16tb of NAS as a Min.

If they use Synology NAS with SHR then there is no need to change ALL drives when increasing storage.

Bad enough with a 4 bay NAS. If you have 8 or 16 drives getting that many larger drives is expensive and time consuming as you would need to back up your NAS (I hope you have backups) replace all the drives, recreate the volumes and do a restore.

With SHR you can just replace a smaller driver with a larger and it will do a rebuild. Keep replacing old drives until you have enough space

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"well i have 40Tb on my home has. I would expect any company to start with 16tb of NAS as a Min."

Based on what evidence or grounds? We have: <1TB of centralised 'file server' data (which includes user profiles and everything historic, which we really should sort and archive); our main SQL database is <100GB; and more recently <100GB (and growing slowly) of video stuff. Everything else is either server OS, app files, or cached email from Office 365. Even if it was all on the same disk array (it isn't) and adding snapshots (and backups to other arrays/sites) what the heck would we need a 16TB NAS for? I sure as hell can't share file server data easily (at speed) to everyone working at home from it.

A/C

2. marcellothearcane

Well obviously more than once - that's how you do backups isn't it?

<\/sarcasm>

9. redpawn

Windows 11 to the Rescue!

A fatter more power hungry OS is the answer, because more bad code is the only cure for bad code.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows 11 to the Rescue!

Weird tangent

Windows 11 has nothing to do with this.

Your comment doesn't work even as a "joke". It's just you, out of your mind, swiping at something semi related because, as I suspect is a problem in your life, you have absolutely nothing to say.

1. redpawn

Redmond always produces more bloated code. That is the point. Soon they WILL be telling you that your problems with their code is that you are not using Windows 11 when the problem is complex under tested code. You are AC for a reason and also fail to be funny.

2. Chris 15

See, if you want to have a pop at Micros~1 your best bet would be to point out that it could be worse, they could have limited everyone to 640k...

10. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

OneDrive Repair Tool

Run it for OneDrive folders over 1Tb.

Now where have I heard that before?

Next up people will be coming across Winmail.dat files in their OneDrive repositories in place of useful files.

Embrace progress.

11. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Welcome to the Microsoft Cloud. Out the door, line on the left, one cross each.

OneDrive, and in fact, all of Office365, might be much more tolerable if Microsoft weren't constantly fucking with it. It's like they think they can't leave it alone for a month or they'll all be fired, so they stay busy as a hive of bees twiddling, changing, tweaking, and outright completely renovating anything and everything. So as admins, we have to constantly read those damned "Major Change Notification" emails with a lump in our throat, wondering what previously working service they're going to pointlessly fuck-up this time, thus forcing us to rework our scripts and other doodads that we use to try to build our systems on. It's like we're all a bunch of crack-heads and the dealer (Microsoft) is constantly lacing the drugs with random other unknown substances - we never know when it's going to a sweet high, or send us straight to the morgue. But we gotta keep smoking that Microsoft crack.

12. Duffaboy
    Joke

Come on Who

Switched on Windows Update,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Come on Who

Sounds like someone put a decimal point in the wrong place......

13. aregross

Command Prompt

attrib -r *.*

1. Duffaboy

Re: Command Prompt

OLD SKOOL

14. Version 1.0 Silver badge

A new problem gets a new fix ... and so on.

This sort of issue generation is common everywhere - locally we just had Hurricane Ida take out everyone's AC power and the phone companies lost service but everyone was just left with their phones to communicate. Go anywhere for hurricane information locally and you are told to check the streaming service to the latest information while the phone companies are slowing down service everywhere - if you're lucky, a lot of times there was no service.

The modern world means all your data is accessed via the cloud ... locally only 140 mph clouds. Systems are all built to work, reliability is not a factor these days. While the phone service data rates dropped, my Android got a couple of hundred Mb of "updates" during the hurricane.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: A new problem gets a new fix ... and so on.

Good post, and thanks for reminding me I had an Oxygen OS update pending!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We don't need a server, we'll just outsource it to MicroSloth!

Idiots.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like