back to article 'Apps for GNOME' site aims to improve discovery of the project's best applications

The GNOME project has created Apps for GNOME, a website to "feature the best applications in the GNOME ecosystem," according to creator Sophie Herold. The scope of the GNOME project is extensive and includes low-level system components, a toolkit for developers of GUI applications (GTK), a desktop shell and window manager, and …

1. demon driver

"Apps for GNOME"? I feel inclined to call that worse than "Apps for Windows"...

... because it divides the fragile Linux Desktop landscape even more, promoting developers who aim to specifically support one of the DEs instead of many, let alone all. One DE that has already earned and deserved much of the criticism it received over the years without actively trying to nudge desktop application developers towards ignoring other DEs...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "Apps for GNOME"? I feel inclined to call that worse than "Apps for Windows"...

The fact that a KDE developer responded to her shows that it's not a matter of divisiveness, more a matter of what I'd call multiplicity. I view the multiplicity of Linux DEs as a strength, not as fragility. In fact many (?all) Gnome applications seem to work on KDE; the Gnome calculator is the one sitting on my KDE task bar. But it does seem to be a solution in search of a problem given that there's an existing site for Gnome apps.

Thanks to Tim and the article for links to the KDE site, BTW.

2. boblongii

Does it list

MATE?

Easily the best Gnome app.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Apps for GNOME" ..... Just Leave Out The GNOME bit.....

GNOME 2 was fine......but that was then (2011).....GNOME 3 is truly horrible!

The good news is that these "Apps" all run fine elsewhere:

- MATE

- XFCE

.........just leave the GNOME bit out and hope it will die!

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: "Apps for GNOME" ..... Just Leave Out The GNOME bit.....

I must be a minority because I use Gnome and find it an absolute joy.

1. ICL1900-G3

I have to confess, although not currently using it, I don't understand why people get so agitated. It's just for launching the programs you actually use.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It's just an app launcher" is just a fundamental misunderstanding of what GNOME - AND the problem - really is.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Just had a look at circle.gnome.org

...and the first thing that struck me in the listed apps is that for most of them, I have no idea what they are or do based on the icon and name. The only option is to click through each and every app to find out if it's the one you are looking for. A few words of description or a hover-pop-up would massively increase the usability of that site.

For example, an icon of a trumpet and the app is called Tootle. Thinking it might be music related I click through and it's a front-end for a microblogging website. WTF?

Why didn't they just use the same template as apps.gnome.org? (where they also list all the Circle apps in a more user friendly manner)

Maybe they could go on LinkedIn and ask for opinions on the UI? :-)))

1. Richard Crossley
      Devil

Re: Just had a look at circle.gnome.org

Blanket - "Listen to different sounds"

Why wouldn't you call it "Ears"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just had a look at circle.gnome.org

Because while that would be an incredibly stupid name, it would still not be even remotely stupid enough for the f-ing morons that are currently running GNOME.

(I'm not sure, are they the same f-ing morons who came up with the idiotic systemd? Because that's about the most f-ing stupid thing I've heard of in decades.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like